Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

waffle iron posted:

If that version of Ubuntu uses systemd, you can get the log with "systemctl status NetworkManager -a".

Edit: Actually, the full log for the most recent boot would be:
journalctl --unit NetworkManager.service -b 0

Ubuntu has yet to change over to systemd (apparently it's going to be on monday) so the correct place to look is in /var/log/upstart/network-manager.log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Longinus00 posted:

Ubuntu has yet to change over to systemd (apparently it's going to be on monday) so the correct place to look is in /var/log/upstart/network-manager.log

There isn't a network-manager log, but there is a whoopsie (Jesus...) log, which did mention network-manager in it, so I'm going to keep an eye on that for when the problem re-occurs.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
How do I add a task to be run as a particular user at bootup in Ubuntu (actually Xubuntu, but who's counting)?

Specifically, I want rotorrent to run with scgi port 5000 as a user named rUser. I have been running rtorrent using screen (screen -fa -m -d rtorrent) with the scgi specified in rUser's .rtorrent.rc (scgi_port = 5000). I can get rtorrent to run at boot, but it runs as root. This is not particularly useful to me.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

PBCrunch posted:

How do I add a task to be run as a particular user at bootup in Ubuntu (actually Xubuntu, but who's counting)?

Specifically, I want rotorrent to run with scgi port 5000 as a user named rUser. I have been running rtorrent using screen (screen -fa -m -d rtorrent) with the scgi specified in rUser's .rtorrent.rc (scgi_port = 5000). I can get rtorrent to run at boot, but it runs as root. This is not particularly useful to me.

Just run it as a cron job (using crontab -u ruser -e) with the timing set to @reboot?

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

PBCrunch posted:

When you are root, you can switch to any other user without entering a password using the su command (or even with sudo, assuming typical sudo configuration).

System boot-up scripts always run initially as root, and the script should run the command/service/daemon as an appropriate user whenever necessary.

So you could arrange for this command to run at boot:
code:
su - rUser screen -fa -m -d rtorrent
Or, if you prefer to use sudo:
code:
sudo -u rUser -i "screen -fa -m -d rtorrent"
The @reboot cron job (as suggested by Experto Crede) is also a valid solution.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

PBCrunch posted:

It's been a while since I wrote upstart scripts, but this should be a very trivial thing

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a question about licensing.

At work we're using Ghost to do disk to disk imaging for new Windows PCs.

WDS is my ideal solution but I think that's just too much to ask for right now.

I got a copy of Parted Magic and it works great! How do I prove to my boss that we're okay on licensing if I want to use this all over the company?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a question about licensing.

At work we're using Ghost to do disk to disk imaging for new Windows PCs.

WDS is my ideal solution but I think that's just too much to ask for right now.

I got a copy of Parted Magic and it works great! How do I prove to my boss that we're okay on licensing if I want to use this all over the company?

Email them and ask for an explanation of their licensing. Alternatively just get Clonezilla and Gparted from their sources, both are entirely free. Parted Magic is pretty nicely packaged though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

thebigcow posted:

Email them and ask for an explanation of their licensing.

I guess that's the obvious answer.

I'm still struggling in general with all the different kinds of licensing for free software. Does it get easier as you work with it more?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess that's the obvious answer.

I'm still struggling in general with all the different kinds of licensing for free software. Does it get easier as you work with it more?

There's lots of different kinds of licensing for non-free software as well (have you ever looked into windows licensing?).

Also don't confuse the license on the raw source code (probably what most people think of first when they think of free software) and other ancillary licenses you might have to deal with. For instance, nowhere in the GPL is there some pricing structure for the cost you have to pay redhat depending on how many CPU sockets per server you're using red hat linux on.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I'm sure RMS is eating something from his foot angry over redhat licensing.

I once met that crazy fucker. He came to Rackspace. Went on a rant about coke and refused to sign my vim book. Other crazy guy that worked at rack invited him and followed him into the bathroom and talked to him through the stall door.

Linux techs are some weird fuckers I tell you what.

And yes. The vim book was a joke. He didn't take it well.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 10, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

I once met that crazy fucker. He came to Rackspace. Went on a rant about coke and refused to sign my vim book. Other crazy guy that worked at rack invited him and followed him into the bathroom and talked to him through the stall door.

Linux techs are some weird fuckers I tell you what.

And yes. The vim book was a joke. He didn't take it well.

Edit:

I went to a Linux User group a few weeks ago and we got in a discussion about Stallman. Apparently one of the people there had hosted him for a few days for a conference. He didn't change clothes once and ended up doing his speech with a huge mustard stain on his shirt.

We joked around about how at conference hotels you can play a game of "Unix admin or homeless person"

I got a good response when I said "Oh, he just took a poo poo onto a piece of newspaper... Unix admin."

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 10, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskq3-lpQnE

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

God help us if the corporate guys that pay us ever figure out that weirdo is behind GNU. That's reason alone to never call it GNU Linux.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

We don't license, and it doesn't interact with the gpl in any way.

All the code I write is GPL. Upstream and downstream. You pay us a subscription which entitles you to support and a binary update stream, but you're free to download the srpms, which we release, and update red hat systems. You can install RHEL and never update it or tell us. You can stop your subscription after a year and keep a 10000 server environment running forever without paying us a dime, or download srpms and update them.

It's not closed source. It's not a license. It's convenience, support, and someone to blame if it breaks. That's all the subscription is.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

We don't license, and it doesn't interact with the gpl in any way.

All the code I write is GPL. Upstream and downstream. You pay us a subscription which entitles you to support and a binary update stream, but you're free to download the srpms, which we release, and update red hat systems. You can install RHEL and never update it or tell us. You can stop your subscription after a year and keep a 10000 server environment running forever without paying us a dime, or download srpms and update them.

It's not closed source. It's not a license. It's convenience, support, and someone to blame if it breaks. That's all the subscription is.

Used the wrong wording. Yes a subscription and well worth it. I've abused the Rackspace tam a time or to for issues until I left. I wish redhat had a minor tier subscription just for updates. I'd run that on my personal box instead of centos but that doesn't really matter anymore since centos is being run by redhat somewhat now.

If you do need support though redhat is the way to go.

E: I bet RMS still hates you though because it's not called GNU RedHat Linux.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Could be worse ways to handle the logistics of commercializing it.

MongoDB has this annoying there where you can build it with SSL, but their free RPMs don't add the flag to enable it. They don't give away source RPMS and the spec files in their repo are missing the parts to actually build the code. They conveniently will give you SSL compiled in if you pay for their commercial version though.

I liked working with MongoDB a lot, but that was just a pain in the rear end because this new environment I work in my manager is gung-ho about having encryption everywhere possible.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
If we need to add SSL to an app, we just put it behind STunnel or HAProxy.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

I wish redhat had a minor tier subscription just for updates. I'd run that on my personal box instead of centos but that doesn't really matter anymore since centos is being run by redhat somewhat now.

We do. I'd just run OEL or something, but if running RHEL matters, a developer sub is $50, maybe $80

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Running OEL would leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'd much rather run CentOS.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

spankmeister posted:

Running OEL would leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'd much rather run CentOS.

I run centos or fedora everywhere, but I can't dispute oel rebuilding and distributing our srpms the fastest. When the centos build system rework is done, that may change

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
If I create an account with a shell of "/usr/bin/piss" and give someone ssh access to that account, there is no way they can pass arguments in, right? like they can't run "/usr/bin/piss --poo poo"

Just double checking i'm not doing something retarded.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

If I create an account with a shell of "/usr/bin/piss" and give someone ssh access to that account, there is no way they can pass arguments in, right? like they can't run "/usr/bin/piss --poo poo"

Just double checking i'm not doing something retarded.

They definitely can. Just try it out. For example, make a user and set the shell to /bin/ls. Then run
code:
ssh testuser@host -- -la
You'll see the contents of their home dir printed.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Docjowles posted:

They definitely can. Just try it out. For example, make a user and set the shell to /bin/ls. Then run
code:
ssh testuser@host -- -la
You'll see the contents of their home dir printed.

welp. Guess I just have to wrap whatever "/usr/bin/piss" in a shell script that doesn't pass the arguments then?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What should I be using to run uWSGI at startup on a CentOS 6.6 box? I'm going down the route of an init script but it's kind of a pain in the rear end.

edit: All this time I thought upstart was a debian/ubuntu only thing...turns out it's on CentOS 6 as well so I'll just follow this: http://uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Upstart.html

fletcher fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 12, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fletcher posted:

What should I be using to run uWSGI at startup on a CentOS 6.6 box? I'm going down the route of an init script but it's kind of a pain in the rear end.

edit: All this time I thought upstart was a debian/ubuntu only thing...turns out it's on CentOS 6 as well so I'll just follow this: http://uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Upstart.html

Just to follow up, even though you found it, yes, upstart is on rhel6. sysvinit on 5, upstart on 6, systemd on 7 :suicide:

In honesty, we dropped upstart because it had/has a ton of warts after some initial promise. But it's way better than sysv, at least

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

evol262 posted:

Just to follow up, even though you found it, yes, upstart is on rhel6. sysvinit on 5, upstart on 6, systemd on 7 :suicide:

In honesty, we dropped upstart because it had/has a ton of warts after some initial promise. But it's way better than sysv, at least

I started reading about why there are conflicting init systems...I wish I hadn't. Has the dust settled on what will be used going forward?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

fletcher posted:

I started reading about why there are conflicting init systems...I wish I hadn't. Has the dust settled on what will be used going forward?

Ugh barely. Systemd is gonna be redhat based for a while. I think Debian is still on upstart. Ubuntu does whatever the gently caress it wants depending on the weather so no idea where they're going.

Just run coreos and stick everything in docker and pretend this never happened.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Ubuntu switched to systemd by default a day or two ago, for new installations of 15.04. As a result, the Kubuntu daily CD image is broken at the moment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is there a short explanation of why some people flip the gently caress out when systemd gets mentioned?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is there a short explanation of why some people flip the gently caress out when systemd gets mentioned?

No. Well yeah no. It makes people learn something new and that pisses off people. There are those who trust in Linus completely who I believe came out against systemd or maybe it was upstart and they're now stuck on that bandwagon because Linus can do no wrong.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Some people are also seriously angry at Lennart Poettering in general, the guy behind pulseaudio and much of systemd, because that one time in 2007 audio didn't work on their system.

Also, obviously, systemd is literally Hitler and violates Unix principles and did I mention it's literally Hitler? :downsgun:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lots of people don't actually know what systemd is and says it has a binary configuration format or something

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

lots of people don't actually know what systemd is and says it has a binary configuration format or something

It has a binary logging format.

Which I honestly wouldn't mind so much, journalctl is pretty handy, except journalctl is also rear end-slow.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
Some people perceive systemd as going beyond just "start up these things in this order" and encroaching onto setting up sockets and mounts, acting as a inetd server, setting up network configuration, log forwarding, etc etc. This goes against the Unix philosophy of each tool doing something small and well-defined, and so it makes neckbeards mad.

What they may misunderstand is that "Systemd" is actually composed of lots of small well-defined tools which handle the above, and they're all optional except for the base "systemd" init system and the journal itself.

It doesn't help that Lennart Poettering is on par with Linus Torvalds for not being the greatest and most welcoming communicator.

I've been using systemd for a while on CoreOS and despite a few problems, I'm really happy with it. There are so many features that are a vast improvement over sysv init.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

It has a binary logging format.

Which I honestly wouldn't mind so much, journalctl is pretty handy, except journalctl is also rear end-slow.

Shouldn't be. What version are you on, and what are you trying to do with it?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
I've found journal to be either lightning quick or really slow, on the same system. (CoreOS, FWIW)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My co-worker occasionally goes on about how he hates that its being put in. Says the whole system works more like Windows and that scares him. I think it has promise, but it has a lot more benefit for desktop stuff. Though right now we have servers running monit, and ditching that in favor of built in service state checking would be a blessing.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

JHVH-1 posted:

My co-worker occasionally goes on about how he hates that its being put in. Says the whole system works more like Windows and that scares him. I think it has promise, but it has a lot more benefit for desktop stuff. Though right now we have servers running monit, and ditching that in favor of built in service state checking would be a blessing.

The systemd roadmap for the next year is crazy, though. I like systemd, and I think the "just want timekeeping and not running a stratum 1 server? Use timed instead of ntpd. Simple networking? Use networkd instead of networkmanager" is a very good thing. And good for Linux. And it's not like Windows. Nor do I hold to the idea of some inviolable "UNIX philosophy" where you need to have just a kernel and libc with a bunch of big daemons from a bunch of projects handling the rest. But systemd is something different. In a simplifying, unifying, better way.

Also, I like coreos, but "run everything in docker" is a huge clusterfuck for a variety of reasons (mostly related to docker being hacky and not suited for security updates/etc), and I hope systemd containers+flannel eat docker's lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

I pretty much don't like systemd because I fear change.

No really, it's "problems" have been solved long ago and it's just change for the sake of change. ntpd works perfectly fine. init.d works perfectly fine for 99% of use cases. The current trend is to make the OS less relevant and I think systemd is just going to make people hate the OS faster / more. It's eating (or, if you prefer, re-defining) the userspace and everyone seems to think this is their chance to "re-invent" linux.

Additional layers of complexity that add nothing to the system except for debugging headaches. It's initial push, start up items concurrently to boot faster, has been backed off and now you're left with little useful (at the moment, roadmaps are not features). It really brings nothing substantial to the table because it's harder, not easier, than what it's replacing. It's not compatible with poo poo and the devs clearly don't care about the end user.

That's my uninformed rant, thanks for listening. Of course it doesn't matter what I think because systemd is here to stay. Pretty sure everyone and their dog is freezing at RHEL6 for enterprise right now and that's just fine with me. I have less than a decade left in my career and I'm just gonna ride what I know into the sunset.

http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/11/20/systemd-redux/

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 12, 2015