Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah I read the books, but not needing blood doesn't mean they're not undead.
I think having your head cut off and recovering from it is a pretty good sign for being undead.

Rising from the dead is the only sign of being undead. Like, most undead are traditionally killed by decapitation, including vampires in the European folklore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Manatee Cannon posted:

Like I said, I like the books and even Geralt usually, but he can be grating from time to time. A lot of people come off a bit for the worse in the books, like Triss. It's kinda weird to me to think that a game is a better adaption than the originals, but at least as far as the characters go I kinda do believe it. I liked Geralt a lot more in The Witcher 2 than I have in the books.

I think it helps that you can control a good portion of his behavior. The game also doesn't give him the opportunity to mope and whine. Did get to have a bit of a whine fest at the very beginning of the game in the flashbacks with Triss though.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Complaining is basically the Polish national pastime. There's a ton of it in this game, but it's really funny.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lareine posted:

I think it helps that you can control a good portion of his behavior. The game also doesn't give him the opportunity to mope and whine. Did get to have a bit of a whine fest at the very beginning of the game in the flashbacks with Triss though.

Geralt doesn't mope and whine. He broods. He contemplates. He philosophises. Then he goes and kills some dudes and has wicked sex.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Geralt doesn't mope and whine. He broods. He contemplates. He philosophises. Then he goes and kills some dudes and has wicked sex.

Not necessarily in that order. Or separately.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
There are natural and unnatural monsters is basically how Geralt explains it if I remember correctly. The natural ones fit into the ecosystem and are not harmed by silver. Some of them came from the conjunction some didn't. All unnatural monsters mostly came from the conjunction, and do not fit 'naturally' into the ecosystem. Those are what witchers were originally made to kill in order to harvest rare ingredients for mages.

Killing the natural monsters is more incidental based on necessity of their way of life and how they interact with lords and peasants. Also how efficient they were at killing the 'monster' monsters. Geralt uses silver as a diagnostic tool on that beast man short story to explain that he isn't actually a horrific monster and really just a cursed man. If I remember right he does the same on duny. But it also gets into weird specific types of magic too, eg Adda being hurt by silver because of the curse type.

If I also remember based on the original witcher roles they always are supposed to kill the unnatural silver monsters. Those that aren't harmed by silver though they kill only when danger or necessity dictate it.

Also humans coming across in the conjunction is pretty well confirmed I believe both by the unicorns and the riders of the wild hunt. The humans destroyed their own world and then fled to a new one without thinking of the consequences to the uhhh space time and dimensions.. It gets a bit sci fi at about the point everyone realizes ciri is a time Lord.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Let's take a moment to revisit some of the greatest moments in the first Witcher game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYa6QAMAoUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Lycus posted:

If you played Iorveth's Path and didn't have Dandelion go into the den, I think you missed one of the funniest lines in the game.

The funniest scene however is the dude sending Geralt on a quest to gather harpy feathers for a "client".
After the third(?) run I was jokingly musing if the guy had... issues.

And the payoff hit right when I was doubting the game would venture exactly that particular path, because it seemed just too silly.

That uncomfortable silence in the man's hut... it was a glorious moment.
I lost my screenshots, unfortunately.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mcbexx posted:

The funniest scene however is the dude sending Geralt on a quest to gather harpy feathers for a "client".
After the third(?) run I was jokingly musing if the guy had... issues.

And the payoff hit right when I was doubting the game would venture exactly that particular path, because it seemed just too silly.

That uncomfortable silence in the man's hut... it was a glorious moment.
I lost my screenshots, unfortunately.

I guess it's not really a spoiler, but I won't inline it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rjI1zjaSUE

I think it only happens if you visit the hut after the quest has been finished.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember that scene, it was great. Made the gathering of feathers so worth it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

OAquinas posted:

Not necessarily in that order. Or separately.

A bit like the motel scene in Drive Angry.

"He killed them while we was fuckin'!"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The best moment in the first Witcher involved a specific sword being for monsters.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Witcher 3 is free with the purchase any Nvidia gpu 960 970 or 980. The whole reason I was looking for a new gpu was this game so I'm glad I waited

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zig-Zag posted:

Witcher 3 is free with the purchase any Nvidia gpu 960 970 or 980. The whole reason I was looking for a new gpu was this game so I'm glad I waited

Well the 980 is too much, I wonder what kind of performance hit the Witcher 3 will take on the 960 vs the 970.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

pik_d posted:

Well the 980 is too much, I wonder what kind of performance hit the Witcher 3 will take on the 960 vs the 970.

There is a huge performance difference between those two. If you have any ambitions to see 60fps and/or high quality even on 1080p for upcoming games, go for the 970.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

pik_d posted:

General consensus is if you afford the 970 get that. The 980 is not worth the extra money and the 970 the best price/performance around. The 960 is good if you really can't afford the 970 bit is only worth it if you have under a 700 series. Like a 660 or something. If your still running a 760 it's not really worth the money unless you can resell it for a good price.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zig-Zag posted:

General consensus is if you afford the 970 get that. The 980 is not worth the extra money and the 970 the best price/performance around. The 960 is good if you really can't afford the 970 bit is only worth it if you have under a 700 series. Like a 660 or something. If your still running a 760 it's not really worth the money unless you can resell it for a good price.

I've got an HD 7870, I'm not sure what GeForce card that's equivalent to. I'll probably end up with the 970 based on what you guys have said.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

pik_d posted:

I've got an HD 7870, I'm not sure what GeForce card that's equivalent to. I'll probably end up with the 970 based on what you guys have said.

That one is called R9 270X now and is a 140$ entry level card on par with a Nvidia 750ti. The smallest of the 'real' gaming cards.
Buying a 960 would make little sense when you start from there, so yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The 970 also overclocks like a goddamn champ.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's the 900 series card that crashes when it loads too much into its RAM or whatever? Or they lied about hardware specs? Wasn't that the 970?

edit: yup

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 11, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My personal favorite funny scene from Witcher 2 is in Roche's path where you take the strange hermit's drugs and see giant chickens and dick mushrooms.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

My personal favorite funny scene from Witcher 2 is in Roche's path where you take the strange hermit's drugs and see giant chickens and dick mushrooms.

I always thought the whole bar scene up to the tattoo revelation was pretty loving hilarious.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best part of that quest is the journal entry after that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Drifter posted:

I always thought the whole bar scene up to the tattoo revelation was pretty loving hilarious.

I liked that quest so much that I kept the tattoo throughout the game despite there being a quest to remove it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
This computer is still less than a year old so I'm not really itching to upgrade my 760 yet. That may be more due to the fact I am incredibly cheap though.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Are there 'new' generations of video cards due out prior to W3? I've been holding off on an upgrade for the last year or so (comp's about 3 years old at this point) but this'll be worth it.

Does it seem like the 980 would be good enough for 2560x1600? Or would a 970 suffice?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Drifter posted:

What's the 900 series card that crashes when it loads too much into its RAM or whatever? Or they lied about hardware specs? Wasn't that the 970?

edit: yup

It's a little more complicated than "Crashes when it hits 3.5GB." The tests they are running that causes the drastic slowdown are not indicative of real life performance. Was Nvidia doing some shady advertising? Possibly, but the 970 is a great card and hands-down the best bang for your buck right now. If you really want to nerd out, this is a really good article about it.

buildmorefarms posted:

Are there 'new' generations of video cards due out prior to W3? I've been holding off on an upgrade for the last year or so (comp's about 3 years old at this point) but this'll be worth it.

Does it seem like the 980 would be good enough for 2560x1600? Or would a 970 suffice?

If you're trying to push those higher resolutions you'd likely be better off with two 970s for $680 instead of one 980 for $560. The 980 is a huge increase in cost for a marginal increase in performance.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Lareine posted:

This computer is still less than a year old so I'm not really itching to upgrade my 760 yet. That may be more due to the fact I am incredibly cheap though.

Look at our this way you can sell the 760 for 150 easily and you get a 60 dollar game free. It's a good investment if your wanting to play this game maxed out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Every time I get tempted by the newer, better gfx cards I take a moment and realize I'm still running games on a monitor whose max resolution is 1680x1050.

Everything is always fantastic looking. By the time my monitor fails I'll be able to get a pretty cheap 900 series or even the next one out. Life is good.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

Every time I get tempted by the newer, better gfx cards I take a moment and realize I'm still running games on a monitor whose max resolution is 1680x1050.

Everything is always fantastic looking. By the time my monitor fails I'll be able to get a pretty cheap 900 series or even the next one out. Life is good.

I love my 1680x1050 monitor. Easier to max stuff on it and if I got anything bigger/with denser pixels I wouldn't be able to see poo poo with how close I sit to it.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I liked that quest so much that I kept the tattoo throughout the game despite there being a quest to remove it.

I wonder if there is anyone who actually removed it.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

GrossMurpel posted:

Probably the same people soulless brigands who killed Letho.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I would have spared Letho if he hadn't said "I will kill you this time :smug:" with the smuggest face I've ever seen rendered in a game. You won the first fight because of plot mandated armour, you smarmy prick, not because you're a good fighter. :argh:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
On my first play through, I removed the tattoo for role playing purposes because I figured meeting Iorveth with a Blue Stripes tattoo was a bad idea.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GrossMurpel posted:

I love my 1680x1050 monitor. Easier to max stuff on it and if I got anything bigger/with denser pixels I wouldn't be able to see poo poo with how close I sit to it.

I always started the quest to get it removed so at any time I could talk to Insert Sorceress Here and have them judge Geralt for his poor decision-making.

Then not get it removed and gleefully prance away.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I removed the tattoo because I thought it looked dumb. Also because Geralt isn't an elf hunter.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I removed the tattoo because I thought it looked dumb. Also because Geralt isn't an elf hunter.

I'd say Geralt is sick and tired of everyone's poo poo equally. Like in The Edge of the World, he's talking mad poo poo about Elves clinging on to their old ways.

poptart_fairy posted:

I would have spared Letho if he hadn't said "I will kill you this time :smug:" with the smuggest face I've ever seen rendered in a game. You won the first fight because of plot mandated armour, you smarmy prick, not because you're a good fighter. :argh:

That "nope Letho actually won the fight" thing was pretty silly and didn't fit the game at all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GrossMurpel posted:

That "nope Letho actually won the fight" thing was pretty silly and didn't fit the game at all.

Seriously. For all the other stuff packed into the game it's weird that losing to him didn't trigger that cutscene, without giving you a game over, but beating him lead to something a little more rewarding.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
You guys are gonna look silly for removing that tattoo when it turns out it's part of the save game import for 3. :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I would've liked it better if Letho would've been Epilogue strong and basically impossible for an Act 1 Geralt to beat, and legitimately losing triggers the cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You guys are gonna look silly for removing that tattoo when it turns out it's part of the save game import for 3. :colbert:

My uncle works at CDProjekt and he said the tattoo will be the deciding factor for whether Niilfgard wins or loses.

Lycus posted:

I would've liked it better if Letho would've been Epilogue strong and basically impossible for an Act 1 Geralt to beat, and legitimately losing triggers the cutscene.

Epilog Letho is stronger? I defeated him with the exact same tactics and even faster due to higher damage output IIRC.

• Locked thread