Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

wayfinder posted:

This is in Madrid:

I really love this building, one of my favorite modern buildings in Madrid.

wayfinder posted:

This building is in Minsk, Belarus. It looks like it's made of moldy neapolitan ice cream.

This, OTOH, is what you build when you have a gazillion dollars and absolutely no, loving taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

wayfinder posted:

Russian embassy, Havana:

This owns I could totally see an evil megacorporation making its HQ there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Applewhite posted:

This owns I could totally see an evil megacorporation making its HQ there.

It really looks exactly like a Russian embassy should look.

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.

wayfinder posted:

The Munich Schwabylon—a mall, thankfully torn down since. But that building behind it is just to die for as well!

That building's got a kind of dazzle camouflage thing going on.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Fuckin sick as hell trapper keeper bro, is the boat behind it?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

wayfinder posted:

Jardine House, Hong Kong. A cheese grater!

that's not a cheesegrater

with the walkie talkie

And soon to be joined by the scalpel

The new London boom is making for some weird but brilliant buildings (that burn and drop bolts and will destroy the city one at a time)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

netally posted:

And here's a Brutalist favourite of mine; the Alexandra Road Estate. Perfect for filming a 70s scifi movie:

Recently used as the home for chavvy James Bond alike in the Kingsman film (which is p.good).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tochiazuma posted:

American Embassy in Ottawa, if the intent was to put up an ugly building that looked like it had a bunker in the roof then Mission Accomplished

That seems to be the style they are going for - the one in Oslo looks like a fortress as well.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

wayfinder posted:

Nominated for best tower: Salvo Palace, Uruguay:

Out of all those things you posted, this is the one that I found the most repulsive and terrible. I can't really articulate what makes it so weird and wrong-looking - maybe just the whole package of weird top-heavy proportions, overwrought bulbous trim and detailing, and being entirely monochrome. It's like a Beaux-Arts building and a Brutalist building got drunk and then begat this monstrosity.

Also the blue-green concrete thing set in the cute little town square was pretty loving bad too.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Tochiazuma posted:

American Embassy in Ottawa, if the intent was to put up an ugly building that looked like it had a bunker in the roof then Mission Accomplished

That hut on the roof is for the all the spy equipment.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Computer viking posted:

That seems to be the style they are going for - the one in Oslo looks like a fortress as well.
Still better then the one in Stockholm.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Grim Up North posted:

That hut on the roof is for the all the spy equipment.

I always thought it was some sort of escape capsule that would fly off in case of trouble

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Tochiazuma posted:

Reminds me more of a submarine than anything else.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 209 days!)

RIP Danvers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought it was supposed to evoke a battleship or something, yeah. Because that's what you park next to the parliament of your closest ally.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Can't talk about soulless blocks in Glasgow without the ur-soulless block, the Red Road Flats.

Torn down last year because it turns out the asbestos in the walls was pretty much structurally integral.

Architectural failures - "Load Bearing Asbestos"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I thought it was supposed to evoke a battleship or something, yeah. Because that's what you park next to the parliament of your closest ally.

it's a strategic foothold for future annexation. one day we're going to swap it out for a real one and the canadians will politely pretend they didn't notice

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Subjunctive posted:

I thought it was supposed to evoke a battleship or something, yeah. Because that's what you park next to the parliament of the last people to sack your capitol your closest ally.

well duh

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Hedenius posted:

Still better then the one in Stockholm.

I'm sure if you spent enough time here you'd get to enjoy it; perhaps even defend it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Segmentation Fox posted:

I'm sure if you spent enough time here you'd get to enjoy it; perhaps even defend it.

:golfclap:

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.
I also appreciated the subtlety of that joke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Segmentation Fox posted:

Nice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fajita Fiesta posted:

On a similar note does anyone have some urban planning monstrosities? Hypothetical ones would be great. Cities: Skyline comes out in an hour and I'm looking for some inspiration for my virtual hellscape.

Victory City.

Beyond architecture, beyond city planning, this monstrosity would have homes, work, farms, entertainment, education, its own power plants and other utilities, waste disposal, and everything else for 332,000 people. They also have their own private security, private postal delivery, private hospitals, private schools, private fire service, private everything. No one from the government need ever come here.

Here's one of the cafeterias where everyone eats. Everyone. Every meal. Your apartment has no kitchen facilities and there are no grocery stores. This saves tons of space, and eliminates rats, cockroaches and other pests in the residential areas.

It has everything you could need. It has it's own golf course, race track, even a zoo. You never have to leave! No one ever has to leave.

Enjoy your spacious 1, 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. Do not be concerned by the lack of windows in the bedrooms, the darkness will make it easier to sleep. You will get used to it. Everyone will get used to it.

You will not be eaten by a Grue.

Mere floorplans cannot express the delightful efficiency of the decor. All furniture is included and fire resistant You don't need to bring a thing!
    "The building will be of reinforced poured concrete construction with a glass curtain wall on the outside. The interior walls will be mostly concrete, but some will be made of removable metal partitions which will have a non-flammable plastic foam in the center, sandwiched between two sheets of metal, probably aluminum with a baked enamel in various decorator colors. The furniture will all be metal, similar to office furniture, and will be specially designed for Victory City so that not an inch of space will be wasted, and each individual item of furniture will be designated for a particular position in an apartment.

The ideal arrangement will be predetermined with the location of all furniture to be included in the architect's plans and each piece of furniture specified in detail"

If you can not afford a spacious suite, we also have bachelor rooms for you. You do not get windows. Poors do not need windows.
Look, every floor has a rec room including a pool table and ping pong table! Oh what fun we'll have.

Too poor to afford a private room? We have dormitories for people like you. And we know just who you are, because we own the only bank.

"Nine times out of ten, when a person is evicted from an apartment, it is for nonpayment of rent. This situation could never arise in Victory City because of the requirements for a minimum bank balance for each size apartment, coupled with the moving of people to smaller and cheaper apartments whenever their balance drops below the minimum. If a resident living in one of the wards, where he will have only a bed and a locker, suddenly found himself in a financial position where his bank balance had dropped below the minimum required for a ward, then that resident will have to be put out.

A resident will agree in writing (by signing the rental contract in advance of renting an apartment or ward) to allow Victory City to put him/her out if his/her bank balance drops below the minimum requirement for a ward. This will save Victory City the cost of obtaining court-ordered evictions."
    "Any time a person moves out of an apartment, the management will clean, repair, paint or restore the apartment in whatever way necessary to prepare it for the next occupant. The total cost of this preparation will be deducted from the former tenant's bank account.

A tenant's entire bank account will be a type of damage deposit. Agreement to this will be included in the terms of the rental contract."

Would you like to know more? http://www.victorycities.com/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Wait that's not some 1960's thing? That's a thing people wanted to build in the last 20 years?

:dogbutton:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Okay I find these to be the most horrifyingly dystopian things, but I'm going to give the guy credit vs some of the other architects in the thread in that the guy was aware of the human need to eat, poop, sleep, have fresh air, etc. Of course he didn't mind the fact that you'd live in an unceasing hive of dank concrete boxes with no choices at all, but again at least the guy has made some effort to think it through. My dog has more control over it's environment than a person living in one of those things.

I liked how workers would be paid to build them with shares of the construction that are only worth anything after the building is made, and then are pro-rated so that all the workers can't dump their shares at once.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

quote:

Photo of Orville Simpson, Jr.
"Victory City, Orville Simpson speaking," says the voice on the other end of the line. It's not "hello" or "good afternoon," mind you. No, when Mr. Simpson answers the phone, he is all business, and his business is Victory City … even if it doesn't really exist yet.

Orville Simpson II is not your average guy. He is fascinated with urban planning, architecture, engineering, artistry, and in general, making the world a better place to live by promoting his plans for the city of the future.

He had 23 different jobs in the first 15 years of his working and business career. The last job was acquisition clerk in Urban Renewal at Cincinnati City Hall. This job qualified him to take several evening courses at the University of Cincinnati at half price. The courses were: business law, business management, the principles and practices of real estate, real estate appraising, and economics. He passed all except the economics. This new knowledge was helpful when he bought a 4-family apartment building in January 1958 and a 9-family in 1959. His first large investment, however, was Grumman Aircraft common stock in 1948 for $3,000. This was the first investment in the stock market. It went very well and encouraged him to buy more, which he did often in the future.

When his father died in September 1968, his net worth had risen to $111,000. He received $114,000 when the distribution was made in 1969. The new net worth was then $225,000. It took him 61 years to make his first million in December 1984. It took 7 more years to make the second million, and 5 more years to make 3 million. Now, the entire estate is destined to go to the promotion of Victory Cities.

Yep, this sounds like the kind of fellow that I'd like to put in charge of a future dystopian society!

What a terrible waste of $3m.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Wait that's not some 1960's thing? That's a thing people wanted to build in the last 20 years?

:dogbutton:

Have you forgotten the glory that is/was GlennBeckistan? :allears:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

It's got Zepplin docks and Ferris wheels? :stwoon:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

So all of the downsides of the Alexandra Road Estates socially with none of the charm when sufficiently encrusted with greenery.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
All I can surmise is that guy really hated people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Noggin Monkey posted:

All I can surmise is that guy really hated people.

He was a landlord. Of course he hated people.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wayfinder posted:

Russian embassy, Havana:

It looks like it's flipping off the whole goddamned world. A giant middle finger, a huge "gently caress you", just hanging out on the skyline.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

wayfinder posted:

Russian embassy, Havana:

I didn't notice until it was quoted, but this thing looks like Galactus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Still nutty they turned the Danvers State Hospital (which is packed to the gills with ghosts and was a mad popular "urbex" location) into condos.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Uncle Enzo posted:

Okay I find these to be the most horrifyingly dystopian things, but I'm going to give the guy credit vs some of the other architects in the thread in that the guy was aware of the human need to eat, poop, sleep, have fresh air, etc. Of course he didn't mind the fact that you'd live in an unceasing hive of dank concrete boxes with no choices at all, but again at least the guy has made some effort to think it through. My dog has more control over it's environment than a person living in one of those things.

I liked how workers would be paid to build them with shares of the construction that are only worth anything after the building is made, and then are pro-rated so that all the workers can't dump their shares at once.

Workers are rewarded with participating on the project, they don't receive money.

To participate on the project, you must sign a contract that if your money balance fails to reach a certain value, you are dropped with no recourse.

A perfect system.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Groovelord Neato posted:

Still nutty they turned the Danvers State Hospital (which is packed to the gills with ghosts and was a mad popular "urbex" location) into condos.

it's super upsetting imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Mark Zuckerberg is having Frank Gehry design a town for 10000 facebook employees which seems like the kind of thing for the thread

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/mar/10/facebook-zee-town-mark-zuckerberg

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Gehry blows his nose a few times, throws the crumpled tissues on the town model, calls it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Uncle Enzo posted:

My dog has more control over it's environment than a person living in one of those things.

And, should you live there, your dog would have its own condo in the pet area. Not in the apartment, or near the apartment. No dogs or cats allowed there.

quote:

Each pet will have his own shelter and fenced outdoor area. When visited by his owner, the owner could take the pet around the pet park on a leash. The owner could feed his own pet or make arrangements for a pet park attendant to do all or any part of the feeding.

• Locked thread