Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

timp posted:

The amount of people telling me I "omg HAVE to watch" House of Cards is getting a little out of hand. I tried watching the pilot episode on two different occasions and it just didn't do anything for me. I love Kevin Spacey but Frank Underwood seems like such a smug unlikable prick who just smugly monologues his way out of every problem.

I think I may be biased because the people telling me to watch it are people who either don't watch very much TV or simply watch a lot of shows I don't like. Can I keep ignoring these people or am I truly missing out? Like, where does it fall on a spectrum between Dexter and The Wire?

EDIT: Not to mention that a handful of people who like House of Cards have been saying that the newest season is not that good
I might have said you should watch House of Cards 2 seasons ago. Now I will tell you to not bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Noteworthy factoid about Daredevil: Steven S. DeKnight, showrunner of Spartacus, is the showrunner on it.

Regardless of your thoughts on the MCU this poo poo is gonna own

e: OH MOTHERFUCKER YES IT'S TV-MA TOO :getin: SPARTACUS 2.0 HERE WE COME

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zoux posted:

Here's the full Daredevil trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdNK8L3ZdmE

When's the thread for this going up?

So Kingpin is a anti-hero type of deal?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

No, all villains think they are the hero.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

timp posted:

EDIT: Not to mention that a handful of people who like House of Cards have been saying that the newest season is not that good

I used to dig House of Cards, but it seems like they're trying to make it more realistic, but its not really realistic and its just boring instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If it's boring than it truly is getting more realistic about politics.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
So they're trying to push it past 3 seasons? Seems like it's bound to get boring the longer they push off the eventual fall.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does Netflix not get money from ads? Is that why they have the whole "the whole season right now!" policy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Does Netflix not get money from ads? Is that why they have the whole "the whole season right now!" policy?

Well, you'd have to show ads to get revenue from them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
No ads whatsoever. Just subscriptions.

All episodes right away probably comes from learning that that's how most of their customers like to watch shows.

From watching Alpha House, I know that Amazon switched their policy between S1 and S2. Streaming customers like to binge.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 10, 2015

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
I dunno if that's testament to how much money subs can make or how much less ads do nowadays

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kurtofan posted:

it would be better if they the Kingpin was a straight up "good" mob boss like Ellis on PoI

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Weird, they did that on the Americans like a month ago.

Been watching Americans the last couple of weeks and I'm flagging. And it's due to grim poo poo like this. I got enough to be bummed about to see it for three seasons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stormageddon posted:

I dunno if that's testament to how much money subs can make or how much less ads do nowadays

I'd love to know how much cost of advertising has gone down since magazine advertising was at its peak to ads on websites. If I see $20 from Google Ads in a month on a site that gets a reasonable amount of traffic it's a genuine surprise. The rates are just so low these days that unless you're literally jamming banners, interstials, linked text etc down the readers throats you can barely pay the server bills in a lot of circumstances.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Stormageddon posted:

So they're trying to push it past 3 seasons? Seems like it's bound to get boring the longer they push off the eventual fall.

After finishing season 3 I realized there's enough storyline potential and life left in the characters, setting and buildup for at least 6 seasons total.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

less laughter posted:

After finishing season 3 I realized there's enough storyline potential and life left in the characters, setting and buildup for at least 6 seasons total.

Good Lord, how did you come to that conclusion?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
season 4 - Frank vs. Claire (spoiler for the season 3 finale), both matrimonially and professionally
season 5 - after the election, the next Presidential term in office structured similarly to season 3 but not as merely a placeholder President
season 6 - definitive fall, the roof comes crashing down on everybody including Doug and Claire

6 seasons would really be the bare minimum to tell the whole story for these characters and not having to resort to rushing through the third act, like the final season of Boardwalk which was essentially multiple seasons compressed into one shortened one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hannibal Burress is finally getting to headline his own show. Called "Why? With Hannibal Burress" its going to air this summer on Comedy Central and will be a blend of stand up, filmed segments, man on the street interviews and in studio interviews. Good for him, he's hilarious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

God drat it Clarkson, can't you just stick to the casual racism?

http://www.vice.com/read/jeremy-clarkson-has-been-suspended-from-the-bbc-after-a-fracas-765

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would assume it turned either physical or deeply offensive. The BBC are unlikely to cancel the recording one of their most successful shows because of a bit of shouting. That said though, Clarkson with his outrageous politically incorrect opinions, which he has for money, has been on thin ice for a while now.

I sincerely hope that this is the end of him. He's the worst kind of populist, bullying twat.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GSN had their upfronts today, and they've greenlit the steampunk thing.

Also, they're bringing Rove McManus over to host a Balderdash-sounding show called "Lie Detectors."

EDIT: they're also doing new episodes of Chain Reaction, with Mike Catherwood from Loveline to host.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 10, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

No matter how you feel, there is no better description of Jeremy Clarkson than "a horrible vision of what your dad would be like if your mom let him buy that Porsche he wanted."

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

EDIT: they're also doing new episodes of Chain Reaction, with Mike Catherwood from Loveline to host.

Is that "Psycho Mike" aka "the guy nobody knows or cares about because everyone stopped listening after Carolla left"?

muscles like this? posted:

Hannibal Burress is finally getting to headline his own show. Called "Why? With Hannibal Burress" its going to air this summer on Comedy Central and will be a blend of stand up, filmed segments, man on the street interviews and in studio interviews. Good for him, he's hilarious.

He doesn't really seem like "host" material though. He always seems like he either just woke up or wants to go to sleep.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 10, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He and Wyatt Cenac have a similarly sleepy demeanor, alongside being very funny. Watching Wyatt's weekly live standup show a few times, I can tell you that the demeanor absolutely undermined his ability to keep things energetic and moving along in between guests. So I'm a bit worried that any energy between segments in Hannibal's show would be similarly killed.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
This was posted yesterday: Michael Kenneth Williams to star in 6-episode IFC miniseries this summer called The Spoils Before Dying. The title of that article did not italicize the title of the series like I did just now, so I just about had a heart attack before I clicked and figured out what the gently caress was going on. :shakesfist:

quote:

A pulp-noir murder mystery set in the seedy underbelly of Los Angeles’ jazz scene, The Spoils Before Dying follows down-and-out pianist Rock Banyon (Michael Kenneth Williams) who becomes the prime suspect when his lead singer and occasional lover is found violently murdered in a car with another man. With the death of two people hanging over his head, Rock has only 72 hours to clear his name or fry in the electric chair. Determined to prove his innocence, Rock goes on an elusive quest for the truth that takes him into an abyss of sex, murder, love, betrayal, and of course, jazz.

That sounds loving amazing right? Apparently this is a sequel to an IFC miniseries that aired last summer called "The Spoils of Babylon" featuring Will Ferrell, Tim Robbins, Tobey Maguire, Haley Joel Osment, Jessica Alba, Val Kilmer, Michael Sheen and Kristen Wiig. So, couple questions:

1. How the gently caress had I not heard about either of these, and
2. Was The Spoils of Babylon good??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah man, I read that as a drama rather than whatever weird satire Spoils was. I really want the pulp crime version of Mad Men to show up one of these days :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

timp posted:

This was posted yesterday: Michael Kenneth Williams to star in 6-episode IFC miniseries this summer called The Spoils Before Dying. The title of that article did not italicize the title of the series like I did just now, so I just about had a heart attack before I clicked and figured out what the gently caress was going on. :shakesfist:

That sounds loving amazing right? Apparently this is a sequel to an IFC miniseries that aired last summer called "The Spoils of Babylon" featuring Will Ferrell, Tim Robbins, Tobey Maguire, Haley Joel Osment, Jessica Alba, Val Kilmer, Michael Sheen and Kristen Wiig. So, couple questions:

Spoils of Babylon was completely absurd and basically a parody of a type of television I don't like. I didn't care for it all but it was a very niche thing and I think only a certain audience would like it. You might fall into that audience though.

Here's a trailer for it. Though the trailer doesn't really even give you a good idea of how absurd it is really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGEg4evHMY

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 10, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

timp posted:

Not sure, they advertised the gently caress out of Spoils of Babylon.

quote:

I really enjoyed it and found it hilarious. I will admit it is an acquired taste. It's on Netflix the last time I checked so it's easy to check out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Spoils of Babylon was an incredibly poo poo attempt at something Garth Marenghi's Darkplace did perfectly.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

Spoils of Babylon was completely absurd and basically a parody of a type of television I don't like. I didn't care for it all but it was a very niche thing and I think only a certain audience would like it. You might fall into that audience though.

Here's a trailer for it. Though the trailer doesn't really even give you a good idea of how absurd it is really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGEg4evHMY

This looks like Wes Anderson to me. Like not even a Wes Anderson parody, just standard fare middle of the road Wes Anderson.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

He doesn't really seem like "host" material though. He always seems like he either just woke up or wants to go to sleep.

A lot of that is just the characters he plays. His stand up is more high energy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

A lot of that is just the characters he plays. His stand up is more high energy.

Yeah his stand up is great, in fact he actually kind of pulls you in with his mellowness. He gets quiet and introspective and puts a lot of space between sentences and it sort of makes you lean in

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

timp posted:

This looks like Wes Anderson to me. Like not even a Wes Anderson parody, just standard fare middle of the road Wes Anderson.

Like I said actually watching it you'd see how it's completely absurd. I think I only made it through like two episodes before I gave up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spoils of Babylon was ace and this excites me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The good old generic Comedy Central contract filler.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

timp posted:

Well that's a pass from me then.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I liked the first season of House of Cards well enough but it didn't really give me much to want to make me watch the second season. I'm almost tempted to just watch it for the sake of it so I don't seem like a wet fart if someone brings it up in a conversation because people will invariably do so.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

Well that's a pass from me then.

You realize you just made a decision not to watch something based on the equivalent of a Youtube comment, right

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

less laughter posted:

You realize you just made a decision not to watch something based on the equivalent of a Youtube comment, right

You don't realize how much I hate Wes Anderson.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Random internet comment underneath a video: "I have not seen this show, but this short trailer vaguely reminds me of director X"
IRQ: "Eww I hate director X, thank you for your thorough assessment and informed review of this entire season that you have watched attentively, I will now never watch it ever"

Seems rational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

^^^ why on earth do you care?

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I would assume it turned either physical or deeply offensive. The BBC are unlikely to cancel the recording one of their most successful shows because of a bit of shouting. That said though, Clarkson with his outrageous politically incorrect opinions, which he has for money, has been on thin ice for a while now.

I sincerely hope that this is the end of him. He's the worst kind of populist, bullying twat.

I have no idea how reliable this source is, but it seems you're right: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-10/top-gear-series-postponed-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer

I have no trouble believing it, since Clarkson is a total shitlord, but I really like Top Gear when he isn't being a total cock. It's such a license to print money though that I doubt this holds very long.

• Locked thread