Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Tell us laymen what that means, if you don't mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Tell us laymen what that means, if you don't mind

You really don't know what meshes are? :psyduck:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The mesh part I get but what's a geostate?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lizard Wizard posted:

You really don't know what meshes are? :psyduck:

Well I couldn't tell you the difference between a mesh and a texture.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A mesh is a chair or a dress, a texture is the color/pattern on the chair or dress. I guess geostates are what we're calling morph bones these day so they properly deform for fat sims or being broken.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Elliotw2 posted:

A mesh is a chair or a dress, a texture is the color/pattern on the chair or dress. I guess geostates are what we're calling morph bones these day so they properly deform for fat sims or being broken.

Yes, it also includes parts of a game model that are changed during animation. Beds and Toilets for example. :v:

Sorry for the nerd-speak, I'm just happy to be able to mesh.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Are there any large packs of hair / clothing etc. ?

There are hundreds of different individual downloads on all sorts of sites, but if there are any amalgamated packs then that'd be great news.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Are there any large packs of hair / clothing etc. ?

There are hundreds of different individual downloads on all sorts of sites, but if there are any amalgamated packs then that'd be great news.

Not yet. Not to mention that many creators don't like their stuff clumped into one huge megapack.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Can someone offer a writeup/guide on adjusting the time scale in Sims 3 using Nraas? I'd really like to tinker around with that a bit.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Working on some animal crossing stuff.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

Working on some animal crossing stuff.

Do the hands move with the time?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EA posted a new detail about Get to Work on Twitter: You can also run a photography shop!

Dunno how they're gonna fit example lots for all this stuff into just one new world, given the current world size...

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The Kins posted:

EA posted a new detail about Get to Work on Twitter: You can also run a photography shop!

Dunno how they're gonna fit example lots for all this stuff into just one new world, given the current world size...
First you put on your job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon. Then you are fired off to job land where jobs grow on jobbies.

That is where the new lots are, job land.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

The Kins posted:

I have a feeling that world size is purely arbitrary and since the world in the this expansion is focused on job lots they have even more freedom to make it giant.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

TheDK posted:

First you put on your job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon. Then you are fired off to job land where jobs grow on jobbies.

That is where the new lots are, job land.

The correct answers to the job tree are A C D A.

If you bought ambitions, you get the firefighter gnome.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm on my phone so I can't hunt down the exact post right now, but Sims VIP quoted a dev as saying that not only will both existing worlds be expanded, but there's going to be a new world, as well. Since you can switch between worlds freely now that should be a lot of room to put down enough lots for all the jobs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, well, this expansion piles up a pleasant surprise after a pleasant surprise, it's like the opposite of the pre-release TS4 trend of nothing but bad news.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Trailer of the retail gameplay in Get to Work has been released:
http://youtu.be/3HrNTk670z8

Also, basements will be back (patched in for all players).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some details from SimGuruGraham's tweeter:
  • Stores can have a maximum of three employees. Your household can help, of course, and they don't count as employees, should you need an extra, say, eight pairs of hands.
  • There are four lots in the Magnolia Promenade world: a 40x30, 30x20, and two 20x20s. You can use them however you like. Three of them are apparently stores by default.
  • Cameras are available outside of photography places. Also, there won't be an example photo place in Magnolia Promenade.
  • The retail system is built to allow for more store types as EA add more content to the game. Hopefully they'll follow through on that...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Kins posted:

Some details from SimGuruGraham's tweeter:
  • Stores can have a maximum of three employees. Your household can help, of course, and they don't count as employees, should you need an extra, say, eight pairs of hands.
  • There are four lots in the Magnolia Promenade world: a 40x30, 30x20, and two 20x20s. You can use them however you like. Three of them are apparently stores by default.
  • Cameras are available outside of photography places. Also, there won't be an example photo place in Magnolia Promenade.
  • The retail system is built to allow for more store types as EA add more content to the game. Hopefully they'll follow through on that...

Four lots seems kind of... pathetic? I'm assuming we can put stores in other worlds, too, but I really wish they would give us more lots per world. It's not like it has to simulate an open world any more. Other than that, I'm really enthusiastic about this expansion.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

They've been pretty good about adding free content into the game over time, between jobs, pools, ghosts, and now basements, so I'm feeling good about this promise.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Wow, I almost gave up on basements. That's loving awesome.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm pretty much gonna get this day one at this point. So much goodwill right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I bought Sims 4 on launch, spent about a month tinkering with it on and off and generally was left with 'yea that was a Sims game at launch alright'. Now I'm coming back and there's new poo poo for free and a 'game pack' instead of a lovely 'stuff pack' that looks cool and an expansion pack that actually expands the game. Looks like they're really working hard to get that goodwill back after a rocky/bitch filled launch, good on em.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How to generate good will: Remove loved features from games, then add them in later for free. Pretty brilliant really. Worked on me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

How to generate good will: Remove loved features from games, then add them in later for free. Pretty brilliant really. Worked on me.

Most games just remove features without bothering with reimplementation. Seriously, assuming you were a new customer, untouched by the previous versions, you would probably get a better value from TS4 than previous generations got from TS3/2/1.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not complaining, I think it's great, I'm just saying that if they had these features to begin with they wouldn't be generating this sort of good will. People would still be bitching about the lack of open world.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the novelty of Sims/EA content for free is pretty potent and would have surprised people either way.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Emotions and the lack of open world are going to be a sore point throughout this game's entire lifespan. The rest is improving.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think it helps that they are being open about things this time, I mean for EA this is sort of amazing. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Those who don't realize the enormous benefit of ripping out the open world in favor of stability and reasonable load times have no idea what they're talking about, anyways.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Yeah, I can't say I miss open world, but the sims 4 forums are still fairly rife with complaints surrounding it and others. I'm not really sure representative they are of the majority of players but w/e.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Yeah, I don't really miss the open world. I miss being able to give specific instructions to sims in different locations, to the point where I find it hard to ever have anyone in a larger household leave their home lot because I can't stand losing control over the rest of them, but I think that's more a problem with me than a problem with the game design. The advantages of ditching the open world are so obvious in terms of speed, stability, and hopefully expandability, that I'm willing to deal with it.

One thing that they had in the Sims 3 that I really, really wish would make a comeback would be to let people meet each other at school and at work again. It's kind of bullshit that classmates and co-workers literally don't exist anymore -- especially so for teens, who seem to have the hardest time finding other people in their age group out in the neighborhood. Maybe when they get around to having more things for kids and teens to do (trips or proms or whatever), they'll add it back.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I don't really miss the open world. There's a couple of annoying parts such as the loading screens, but the amount of loading is much more improved than the long time it took to load up The Sims 3. I could go and make a pot of coffee in the time it took for the game to load, and perhaps the game crashed and I would need to restart it and go through that loading time again. I also don't miss the freezing and stuttering the game had. Or the times the plumbob just span and my Sim did nothing. Or him waiting an hour or so just to get into the shower and then he took a 2 hour shower since interactions were just so slow.

Yeah, the mass improvements in performance far outweigh the open world of Sims 3. I do miss the story progression and the fact that your family seems to be the only one that does anything. I think they might be trying to put in some sort of story progression so that inactive sims will actually get into relationships and have kids, so that a young adult won't become an elder without ever feeling the touch of another Sim, even if they constantly chat with one on a lot.

The thing about the complainers on the forums is they are the vocal minority. The majority probably prefer the stable world and won't complain, let alone on the creepy Sims 4 hugbox of a forum.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The Kins posted:

At one point, it was said that the fact that each little neighbourhood was discrete would allow them to add more over time. Not sure if that's still the approach since they're talking about a dinky new world, but...

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

I don't really miss the open world. There's a couple of annoying parts such as the loading screens, but the amount of loading is much more improved than the long time it took to load up The Sims 3. I could go and make a pot of coffee in the time it took for the game to load, and perhaps the game crashed and I would need to restart it and go through that loading time again. I also don't miss the freezing and stuttering the game had. Or the times the plumbob just span and my Sim did nothing. Or him waiting an hour or so just to get into the shower and then he took a 2 hour shower since interactions were just so slow.

Yeah, the mass improvements in performance far outweigh the open world of Sims 3. I do miss the story progression and the fact that your family seems to be the only one that does anything. I think they might be trying to put in some sort of story progression so that inactive sims will actually get into relationships and have kids, so that a young adult won't become an elder without ever feeling the touch of another Sim, even if they constantly chat with one on a lot.

The thing about the complainers on the forums is they are the vocal minority. The majority probably prefer the stable world and won't complain, let alone on the creepy Sims 4 hugbox of a forum.

This. Also, multitasking makes things so much easier in sims4. Those awkward group interactions in the previous sims actually function this time around.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Trilobite posted:

One thing that they had in the Sims 3 that I really, really wish would make a comeback would be to let people meet each other at school and at work again. It's kind of bullshit that classmates and co-workers literally don't exist anymore -- especially so for teens, who seem to have the hardest time finding other people in their age group out in the neighborhood. Maybe when they get around to having more things for kids and teens to do (trips or proms or whatever), they'll add it back.

I miss that so much. Instead of the stalkers that come and ring your doorbell a million times, ugh. I've been having my sims work from home majority of the time because of that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another minor gameplay detail from Twitter: If an NPC Sim buys a thing from your store, they won't lose any money or actually get the item in their inventory.

SimGuruGraham posted:

We wanted to avoid memory/save file bloat that comes with storing a bunch of objects in Sim inventories of all the Sims around the world, we also didn't want you to switch to another household and find them broke due to shopping at your stores - or to run into the inverse and have them be unable to buy anything at your store due to being broke. On a side note - adjusting that should be a simple flip of a switch for a modder if they want to enable it play around with it :) What we do persist is the money your households make while you're not playing them... for example; if you go and shop at a store that another household owns, when you switch back to playing that household that owns that store, they will have actually made that money.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The keyword they've got is re-implementation, because most companies can't be bothered to do that after they say they're removing something to make initial development easier. EA's Sims studio is showing that, no really, we cut a bunch of stuff to let us build a really awesome framework that'll allow us to add it all back in after release, so we can make our deadline and give a good game!

Pretty impressive for an EA cash cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

The Kins posted:

Another minor gameplay detail from Twitter: If an NPC Sim buys a thing from your store, they won't lose any money or actually get the item in their inventory.

Looks good, I appreciate the option for people to play with it if they want to. I wouldn't want my unplayed sims to go and buy random things that just end up in their inventory for me to go "Why the gently caress did you buy that?!"