Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

Fun fact: the Democrat who called Cotton "Tehran Tom" was Jared Polis of Colorado, who was also the subject of that Reason Magazine cover story on gamer culture. Polis unwinds by playing Diablo and Civ V.

Jared Polis is good, one of the few openly gay members of Congress and represents the hippie wasteland of Boulder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Jagchosis posted:

Yes and that is discriminatory against noted discrete and insular minority; small businesses
There are hundreds of regulations that apply to businesses based on their size. Their argument makes no sense :psyduck:

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Joementum posted:

Fun fact: the Democrat who called Cotton "Tehran Tom" was Jared Polis of Colorado, who was also the subject of that Reason Magazine cover story on gamer culture. Polis unwinds by playing Diablo and Civ V.

Republicans play the xbox one

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan has produced a movie to explain how much he cares about poor people. It will be released on March 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM5hVYvDTAs

Don't call it a comeback, Paul.

Literally, because there's nothing to come back to. You burnt it to the ground.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

There are hundreds of regulations that apply to businesses based on their size. Their argument makes no sense :psyduck:

Their argument contradicts approximately 80 years of Supreme Court jurisprudence, at least wrt 14th Amendment (the rest is wrong too though). This is literally the definition of ordinary social and economic regulation, which is not subject to invalidation on Fourteenth Amendment grounds.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Joementum posted:

Extra fun fact: Jared Polis' local campaign centre used to be right next to a medical marijuana dispensary. I'm not sure where his new one moved to but I'll always remember that one.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RevKrule posted:

Extra fun fact: Jared Polis' local campaign centre used to be right next to a medical marijuana dispensary. I'm not sure where his new one moved to but I'll always remember that one.

I'm picturing him as Buck Strickland now.

"I like to campaign, I like to get high and I don't like to drive."

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm picturing him as Buck Strickland now.

"I like to campaign, I like to get high and I don't like to drive."

Polis is basically a goon. He is a fat nerd that loves videogames, is very left (relative to congress), and says "i'm gay"

He is Good People though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFgrB2Wmh5s

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jagchosis posted:

Polis is basically a goon. He is a fat nerd that loves videogames, is very left (relative to congress), and says "i'm gay"

He is Good People though

I voted for this guy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just a reminder that Rep. Gowdy's committee released a report correctly concluding that nothing happened with Benghazi. So of course they're keeping that committee.

In bonus crazy news, Utah has voted to re-instate the firing squad due to lack of access to lethal injection drugs. Still unclear whether their governor will sign the bill.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_UTAH_FIRING_SQUAD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Firing Squads? meh

Free the Guillotine

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Jagchosis posted:

He is Good People though

This guy seems okay. I like the cut of his jib.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jagchosis posted:

Alright, fess up. Which one of you goons isn't Polis?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

I swear I have never heard of this guy before now and reading this post I'm just going to go ahead and say his district includes part or all of Boulder

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Grapplejack posted:

Don't call it a comeback, Paul.

Literally, because there's nothing to come back to. You burnt it to the ground.

"Look, I stopped in at an empty soup kitchen and dirtied up some pans for a photo op; can't you see I care?"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I swear I have never heard of this guy before now and reading this post I'm just going to go ahead and say his district includes part or all of Boulder
Boulder and Vail.

You nailed it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I remember watching hearings for SOPA and Polis seemed to be the only one present who understood the Internet.

Searching for info about that revealed that he also may be the member of Congress who best understands League of Legends. (I hope that is real.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

FlamingLiberal posted:

In bonus crazy news, Utah has voted to re-instate the firing squad due to lack of access to lethal injection drugs. Still unclear whether their governor will sign the bill.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_UTAH_FIRING_SQUAD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

In fairness, execution by firing squad is considerably more humane than execution by legal injection. It's more reliable, and fast, too.

It makes it harder to pretend something medical is happening, as well: A firing squad is unmistakable as the brutal fist of the law.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

nrook posted:

In fairness, execution by firing squad is considerably more humane than execution by legal injection. It's more reliable, and fast, too.

It makes it harder to pretend something medical is happening, as well: A firing squad is unmistakable as the brutal fist of the law.

The problem is that you have someone pulling the trigger. More so then injection that person as to see the effects of his actions when he kills the prisoner. Say what you will about lethal injection but compared to hanging, firing squads, gas chambers, and the electric chairs its more humane for the person dying and for the person that performs the action. Executions are inhumane enough now but compared to the last century much better then they were for everyone involved.

I don't mean to make this into a death penalty thing but Firing squads are the wrong answer for what Utah is doing for both the prisoners and the execution teams.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nrook posted:

In fairness, execution by firing squad is considerably more humane than execution by legal injection.

:stonk:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Swype!!!

e: to be clear the death penalty is bad, but if the state has to kill people it is preferable for it to do it quickly, rather than the horrible botched injections which have made headlines recently

nrook fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 11, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The problem is that you have someone pulling the trigger. More so then injection that person as to see the effects of his actions when he kills the prisoner. Say what you will about lethal injection but compared to hanging, firing squads, gas chambers, and the electric chairs its more humane for the person dying and for the person that performs the action. Executions are inhumane enough now but compared to the last century much better then they were for everyone involved.

I don't mean to make this into a death penalty thing but Firing squads are the wrong answer for what Utah is doing for both the prisoners and the execution teams.

Considering people's attitudes in this country regarding criminals, I don't think you're going to have to worry about the executioner's feelings getting hurt.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

Considering people's attitudes in this country regarding criminals, I don't think you're going to have to worry about the executioner's feelings getting hurt.

Sure, they may say that they're gung-ho about killing criminals, but 99.9% of them would suddenly get cold feet if you offered them a place on a firing squad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cory Booker with Morgan Hintz at the announcement yesterday of the medical marijuana bill sponsored by him, Rand Paul, and Kirsten Gillibrand. Morgan has frequent seizures, two during the press conference, and would be helped by access to the drug.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought the concentrated synthetic thc was legal already anyway?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I never understood this objection. Make the fuckers robotic, you telling me we can make a self-driving car but not a machine that can fire on a relatively still target at least as well as a human?

(Capital punishment is bad and wrong.)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

(Capital punishment is bad and wrong.)

What about those sinful women who bang before marriage? The Bible's pretty clear on that subject.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

136,300 signatures to investigate 47 Patriots

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/file-charges-against-47-us-senators-violation-logan-act-attempting-undermine-nuclear-agreement/

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004
I'm as pissed off as anyone at those 47 senators but serious Obama can't start jailing his political opponents en masse. Come on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MC Nietzche posted:

I'm as pissed off as anyone at those 47 senators but serious Obama can't start jailing his political opponents en masse. Come on.

The authors of the constitution were so concerned about this crap they put in a very narrow definition of treason and put in immunity for statements for congressmen's statements from the floor. This letter isn't a floor speech but it's the type of thing that's supposed to be protected.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

It allegedly has some side effects and is less effective than the plant, which also has CBD and other neurotransmitter analogues. If weed wasn't schedule 1 more research could be done to create more sophisticated meds.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

It even exists on the chapter level. Older members refuse new ideas based on the stupid excuse "we've always done it that way."

This is a few pages back but if there is one thing I've taken away from the Navy; it's that anyone who utters that statement should either immediately feel ashamed of themselves, be immediately berated, or both.

My boss said it the other day in response to something I'd told him and I just stared at him disbelievingly. It's a real trigger statement.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

McDowell posted:

It allegedly has some side effects and is less effective than the plant, which also has CBD and other neurotransmitter analogues. If weed wasn't schedule 1 more research could be done to create more sophisticated meds.

Is there any particular reason that there hasn't been a larger push to reschedule it to something researchable? I know that the FDA has been "investigating and re-evaluating" it since July or so (I'm guessing the results of which will be announced a bit closer to 2016 or so), but I would think that even if they just bumped it down to Schedule II, it would help leaps and bounds, and would be much more politically viable than the full legalization.

Not that I'm not all for legalization, but in terms of politics, what is currently the main block to this, other than "DRUGS BAD"?

(Feel free to quote my post and delete everything other than "DRUGS BAD" if that's essentially the answer)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SgtScruffy posted:

Is there any particular reason that there hasn't been a larger push to reschedule it to something researchable? I know that the FDA has been "investigating and re-evaluating" it since July or so (I'm guessing the results of which will be announced a bit closer to 2016 or so), but I would think that even if they just bumped it down to Schedule II, it would help leaps and bounds, and would be much more politically viable than the full legalization.

Not that I'm not all for legalization, but in terms of politics, what is currently the main block to this, other than "DRUGS BAD"?

(Feel free to quote my post and delete everything other than "DRUGS BAD" if that's essentially the answer)

Basically this:

DemeaninDemon posted:

Older members refuse new ideas based on the stupid excuse "we've always done it that way."

Mostly the problem is what's known as the mohair problem - there's no benefit to changing the program (because no one really cares) and there's lots of upsides to keeping it how it is (the people in power will lobby/support you if you do).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

"DRUGS BAD"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jagchosis posted:

Jared Polis is good, one of the few openly gay members of Congress and represents the hippie wasteland of Boulder

He also guest speaks in an episode of Extra Credits, encouraging greater participation among young people. :unsmith:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Boon posted:

This is a few pages back but if there is one thing I've taken away from the Navy; it's that anyone who utters that statement should either immediately feel ashamed of themselves, be immediately berated, or both.

My boss said it the other day in response to something I'd told him and I just stared at him disbelievingly. It's a real trigger statement.

I work in manufacturing EHS. I call their bullshit by stopping their machine center and asking them to explain what makes their way better. Works great! I only do it when they use that excuse though because it pisses me off so much.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

El Disco posted:

Sure, they may say that they're gung-ho about killing criminals, but 99.9% of them would suddenly get cold feet if you offered them a place on a firing squad.

Good? Seriously, if it hammers home what executions really are, maybe that's what we should want. The only stipulation should be that participating in a firing squad should be 100% volunteers. Then, the state knows which officers to bar from high level positions and which ones need psychological evals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

It is (it's called Marinol) but it's never been a good treatment option because THC by itself is extremely anxiogenic and makes people freak out. It's the other cannabinoids in weed that create the mellow sensation of relaxation. Consequently that's why modern strains of weed which select for high THC content send kids to the hospital with panic attacks. The other concern is that when you ingest THC it is processed by the liver into a form of the chemical that is mildly psychedelic. So basically you had old ladies with cancer taking Marinol and then tripping balls and flipping the gently caress out so it was never a popular treatment option.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What about the extract stuff, I don't know the name, Alabama passed a law recently legalizing its research and use in medicine, it was called (some little girl's) law and was a pretty big deal in local politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Good? Seriously, if it hammers home what executions really are, maybe that's what we should want. The only stipulation should be that participating in a firing squad should be 100% volunteers. Then, the state knows which officers to bar from high level positions and which ones need psychological evals.

I'm sure you could get 10 conservative gun nuts to pay to do it if you wanted.

• Locked thread