Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is that Go (the game Go) megathread still around somewhere? Search turns up a lot of results for "go..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mescal posted:

Is that Go (the game Go) megathread still around somewhere? Search turns up a lot of results for "go..."
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2891609

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

zachol posted:

I'm really having trouble understanding what the appeal would be. This isn't a "the 90's suck" joke, regardless of time period that seems much worse than advancing in time.
Like I guess if I knew there was some real bad poo poo that went down in 2025 or 2026 or something, repeating the next ten years instead would be better, but otherwise that just sounds like a bummer.

I guess you'd consistently skip out on 9/11 happening but that's about the only thing that comes to mind given the time frame

Actually as someone who was a literal child during the 90s I have to ask--how did the 90s even compare as a decade to the 00s for people who weren't 10 at the height of it? Like I know there's the whole 90s kid nostalgia thing but was any of it actually "better" or is that just the fond memories of dunkaroos and pokemon cards clouding our thoughts

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bunnielab posted:

Is everyone who posts a question in this thread super stoned or what?

Have you ever posted on the forms before? I mean really posted??

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Actually as someone who was a literal child during the 90s I have to ask--how did the 90s even compare as a decade to the 00s for people who weren't 10 at the height of it? Like I know there's the whole 90s kid nostalgia thing but was any of it actually "better" or is that just the fond memories of dunkaroos and pokemon cards clouding our thoughts

I was in high school and college in the 90's, I wouldn't say it was "better" but I do remember it as sort of calmer or slower, in the sense that you generally did not have nearly so much constant information coming at you and were not really in as close or constant contact with people as we are now.

On the other hand things like getting in touch with someone when you were both away from home, or navigating to a specific address in a city you were unfamiliar with, was more of a pain in the rear end back then than it is now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is there a convenient way to download old episodes of podcasts? When I start a show I like to go from the beginning, but it seems like the only way to download old episodes of most podcasts (eg. The F Plus or The Bugle) is to click through to the end of the archives and download each episode one by one. Which is incredibly tedious. Is there a better option?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Is there a convenient way to download old episodes of podcasts? When I start a show I like to go from the beginning, but it seems like the only way to download old episodes of most podcasts (eg. The F Plus or The Bugle) is to click through to the end of the archives and download each episode one by one. Which is incredibly tedious. Is there a better option?

http://podbay.fm/show/265799883

http://podbay.fm/show/334184087

Click the "listen" button next to any episode and there will be a download link on the episode page.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

I like the interface in Pocket Casts if you're using a mobile device to listen. It's not free but it does what you need in a very clean way. (I think you need to fiddle with a couple settings from the default, but it's not too tricky)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tiggum posted:

Check if they have an rss page, and use something like DownThemAll to haul the whole archive in one go.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The 90s were cool and that you could still get LSD for three dollars a tab and you still needed maps and poo poo for road trips, which made the more exciting. It was also kind of nice that your friends would just randomly show up at your house to see if you wanted to do something, because we didn't have cell phones or a way to check email all the time. I am mostly referring to the later half of the 90's when I was in my late teens and early 20's.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunnielab posted:

God yes.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If we found a planet/moon with an acceptable atmosphere composition/temperature/water level could we just throw plant and microbe probes at it and given a successful transport and landing would life start thriving there?

bunnielab posted:

Sort of relevant to my question.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Could God roll a joint so big even he couldn't finish it?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

If we found a planet/moon with an acceptable atmosphere composition/temperature/water level could we just throw plant and microbe probes at it and given a successful transport and landing would life start thriving there?

doesn't this question sort of answer itself? if you are starting out by establishing that the planet's conditions are acceptable for lifeforms as we know them and that we are capable of transporting said lifeforms there, than yes it would, because the entire scenario is defined that way.

bunnielab posted:

No.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunnielab posted:

Yes, and the he would finish it in an unobservable box, so that it would both be finished and not finished at the same time.

Schrodingers joint.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Schrodingers joint.

is the name of my new weed-metal album.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Any suggestions for reference manager? I want it to have embedded capability to add notes and to highlight text in PDFs (so that annotated/highlighted PDF can later be viewed, as is or via additional export, in generic PDF reader) and ability to export citations for use in LaTeX. Having citation style options (just some of more popular ones in exact sciences). and some tool/plugin to use citations in LibreOffice (and/or Microsoft Office) is a plus. Preferably something that works as a standalone application on Windows (Linux and maybe Mac fine as well, I'll need to virtual machine it). So far I have revised Zotero, colwiz and Papers3 - Zotero has no own note taking ability, colwiz did fail to export annotated PDF, Papers3 on Windows has no ability to export annotated PDF on Windows, for now.

Also, is there some good read on reference management workflows for students?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 9, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm interested in working in a different country but I was hoping there is a website somewhere that lists all the countries where someone holding a certain citizenship can work at without having to obtain a work permit / visa. It's important to know because most companies, unless you are a high value employee, will not sponsor you to obtain a work visa which can cost the company a lot of money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

1 - Is it true with climate change all the worlds reefs will be destroy by water PH Changes by 2050?

2 - Has sales historically been paid by commission? If so - why? Is this largely an Western practice?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

1 - Is it true with climate change all the worlds reefs will be destroy by water PH Changes by 2050?

2 - Has sales historically been paid by commission? If so - why? Is this largely an Western practice?

I can't answer your second question, but the answer to the first one is, probably not. That's not to say they're not getting hosed up by climate change though. Something like a third of all reef-building corals are at an elevated risk of extinction due to not only ocean acidification, but also temperature rises. There's vague good news though, in that there is evidence that some corals that form symbiotic relationships with algal species' that are more temperature tolerant, and there may be hardier species' of coral themselves that will be able to increase their biological niche as the result of competition being killed off. However, those forms of coral might not be able to support an entire reef themselves, which is a pretty delicate ecosystem that relies on the interaction of different species' of coral and algae to form the correct networks for growth.

Short answer: don't be a coral reef in the next (x) years. Get on Google Scholar and do a search on something like "coral bleaching" or "climate change coral" and do some reading. Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg from the University of Queensland is legit, and Professor Terry Hughes is the director of the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies and also an excellent science communicator, if you need some names.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YggiDee posted:

Check if they have an rss page, and use something like DownThemAll to haul the whole archive in one go.

Oh, I had forgotten about DownThemAll, that will probably do what I want. Thanks.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

I'm interested in working in a different country but I was hoping there is a website somewhere that lists all the countries where someone holding a certain citizenship can work at without having to obtain a work permit / visa. It's important to know because most companies, unless you are a high value employee, will not sponsor you to obtain a work visa which can cost the company a lot of money.

Basically nowhere if you are a US citizen. Wikitravel.org lists visa requirements in their country articles, usually including an overview of work visa requirements. For full information you need to visit the website of the embassy or consulate of your country of interest. I could not find any convenient list in a cursory google search.

Here is a non-exhaustive list though (for US Citizens):
-Albania
-Palau
-Zimbabwe(?)
-Zambia(?)

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Busy Bee posted:

I've never heard of a website that will list them all for you, but surely have can come up with a shortlist of countries that you would like to visit and then check their immigration websites.

Also, don't just look for work visas, as they tend to be aimed at permanent relocation. Lots of countries have "working holiday" visas which allow you to work (with some restrictions) to fund your travels.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Any suggestions for reference manager? I want it to have embedded capability to add notes and to highlight text in PDFs (so that annotated/highlighted PDF can later be viewed, as is or via additional export, in generic PDF reader) and ability to export citations for use in LaTeX. Having citation style options (just some of more popular ones in exact sciences). and some tool/plugin to use citations in LibreOffice (and/or Microsoft Office) is a plus. Preferably something that works as a standalone application on Windows (Linux and maybe Mac fine as well, I'll need to virtual machine it). So far I have revised Zotero, colwiz and Papers3 - Zotero has no own note taking ability, colwiz did fail to export annotated PDF, Papers3 on Windows has no ability to export annotated PDF on Windows, for now.

Also, is there some good read on reference management workflows for students?

I used zotero + workflowy/OneNote for my MA, I never did manage to find a good workflow write up that was more than a product endorsement. A new thing you might check out is Qigga, pricey but it seems to be the newest entry in the market so it might be good. I've only just looked at the website, haven't used it myself yet.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
A couple of times when I was in university, a few of what I believed to be large pimples on the side of my abdomen burst and ejected what I can only describe as pearls. Basically think fish tank pebbles with a bunch of sebum or some kind of calcification in the grooves. It freaked me out but getting a doctor/dermatologist would have essentially bankrupted me.

It was an isolated occurrence and some time ago, but what the hell was that? Is it indicative of some kind of more chronic issue?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

WarpedNaba posted:

A couple of times when I was in university, a few of what I believed to be large pimples on the side of my abdomen burst and ejected what I can only describe as pearls. Basically think fish tank pebbles with a bunch of sebum or some kind of calcification in the grooves. It freaked me out but getting a doctor/dermatologist would have essentially bankrupted me.

It was an isolated occurrence and some time ago, but what the hell was that? Is it indicative of some kind of more chronic issue?

:gonk: That is a particularly horrifying story. Jesus Christ.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

greazeball posted:

I used zotero + workflowy/OneNote for my MA, I never did manage to find a good workflow write up that was more than a product endorsement. A new thing you might check out is Qigga, pricey but it seems to be the newest entry in the market so it might be good. I've only just looked at the website, haven't used it myself yet.
I settled for Mendeley, and added Zotero to it after some input from grad school thread.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't know man, but if you find out somehow, you gotta promise to tell us what it was.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Especially if you severed as a hatchery to extraterrestrial life forms. You should really get a doctor.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

WarpedNaba posted:

Did you take any pictures?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Catman Begins posted:

Did you take any pictures?

I should have. I did tell a friend of mine who'd recently graduated from medschool who told another friend who told him that it might be a foreign body granuloma, if anyone's ever seen one of them.

Tried googling that for a pic like one of my ejectees, but no luck. I don't recommend you try it, either, kinda nasty poo poo.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

WarpedNaba posted:

I should have. I did tell a friend of mine who'd recently graduated from medschool who told another friend who told him that it might be a foreign body granuloma, if anyone's ever seen one of them.

Tried googling that for a pic like one of my ejectees, but no luck. I don't recommend you try it, either, kinda nasty poo poo.

It might be sebum (oil secreated by the sebacious gland). Sebum can clog the pore and create a blackhead when it oxidizes, but in some cases it stays in the pore and continues to grow and block the pore. Usually, a cyst will form, break it down, fill with puss and dissolve the sebum, but in other cases, it just forms a rock hard waxy lump... like a pebble.

Kinda reminds me of the stones you get from blocked salivary glands (don't watch this it's NSFL https://i.imgur.com/WZPnRb7.gifv NSFL) You can hear ths stone 'plink' against her teeth when it bursts out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Catman Begins posted:

Kinda reminds me of the stones you get from blocked salivary glands (don't watch this it's NSFL https://i.imgur.com/WZPnRb7.gifv NSFL) You can hear ths stone 'plink' against her teeth when it bursts out.

Seriously don't watch this, the first thing I've seen on the internet for years that nearly made me gip.

And i think it was less "plink" more "splurt"

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Do we have an iOS megathread somewhere? in SH/SC I can only see the Mac hardware and software threads.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Do we have an iOS megathread somewhere? in SH/SC I can only see the Mac hardware and software threads.
Inspect Your Gadgets has iOS apps, iPad, iPhone and iOS jailbreaking threads. There was iOS 7 thread, it got closed in May 2014 and I don't see separate iOS 8 or whatever it is now thread, but you might get what you want in either of the four threads linked. SH/SC has iTunes thread which may or may not have to do something with what you want,

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 10, 2015

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Awesome, thank you. I'm sure I will get my answer in one of those.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

What's a good book on the early history and prehistory of the modern Republic of Turkey?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Who made this cup/design?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

computer parts posted:

Solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

computer parts posted:

It's called "Jazz" and it's trademarked by Solo, but I've never seen a designer's name associated with it.

edit: looks like I was beaten, but that page also doesn't list a designer. It would be cool to find out, maybe, but probably not. Just some dude in-house that took something off a Trapper Keeper and put it on a cup. They probably don't even remember.