Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mzbundifund posted:

No it'll all be wasted. If you click level-up it applies all your levelups at once, so you'll shoot straight to 10 and have that much farther to go to get your fighter levels back once you dual to mage. You want to Dual Class the instant you hit the level you want to keep in your first class, even if it means you have to fight Sarevok with your protagonist as a level 1 mage.

Helmets don't impede spellcasting, only armor does.

gently caress, that's gonna be hard then -- I wanted to go to level 9 fighter, but isn't the BG: EE level cap level 8 fighter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The BG:EE level cap is a function of the experience cap; the reason you can't get to level 9 fighter in BG:EE is that you stop gaining XP before you reach it.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

gently caress, that's gonna be hard then -- I wanted to go to level 9 fighter, but isn't the BG: EE level cap level 8 fighter?

Yeah, but I wouldn't sweat it. The EXP rate is massively higher in BG2 so I'd just finish off BG1 and worry about the dual then. You'll regain your fighter levels very quickly dualing over at 9.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Metal Meltdown posted:

Yeah, but I wouldn't sweat it. The EXP rate is massively higher in BG2 so I'd just finish off BG1 and worry about the dual then. You'll regain your fighter levels very quickly dualing over at 9.

Hrm. Would it be better to go all the way to 12th then as fighter for the extra weapon proficiency?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Hrm. Would it be better to go all the way to 12th then as fighter for the extra weapon proficiency?

I'd say probably not. The exp curve also ramps up dramatically. regaining 9th level fighter abilities isn't bad but getting back 12 ones is a fair bit more painful and not worth the extra weapon pip. Unless my memory fails me, 9 is high enough for grandmastery.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Not really. A level 9/10 fighter mage dual class takes 500,000 xp, easily reachable in chapter 2 or 3. A level 12/13 one takes 2,125,000 xp, which is chapter 6 territory unless you do the vast majority of the sidequests in chapters 2 or 3.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 9, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ilyich posted:

Not really. A level 9/10 fighter mage dual class takes 500,000 xp, easily reachable in chapter 2 or 3. A level 12/13 one takes 2,125,000 xp, which is chapter 6 territory unless you do the vast majority of the sidequests in chapters 2 or 3.

Well, i'm planning on doing EVERYTHING I possibly can -- I haven't played these games in over a decade so they're very fresh to me. Does planning on an ultra completionist runthrough change anything?

edit: second question:

Right now I have four proficiency slots in Warhammer and two in dual weilding. For the last (th level) slot, better to take an off hand weapon (the katana I guess? for dak'kar's zerth blade?), finish maxing out Warhammer to 5, or take dual weilding to 3?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 9, 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Having just played through BG2 myself, I can't honestly recommend waiting until 12 for dual classing. You are going to be playing an underleveled mage for the vast majority of the combat encounters you face, which isn't going to be fun when you could play through 90% of them as a kick-rear end fighter // mage dual class with grandmastery in a weapon and a stack of self-buffs.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Well, i'm planning on doing EVERYTHING I possibly can -- I haven't played these games in over a decade so they're very fresh to me. Does planning on an ultra completionist runthrough change anything?

Not as far as I know, but my knowledge of BG2 is far from perfect. I do know that every sidequest available in chapters 2 and 3 is also available in chapter 6, so you can safely put off the more difficult sidequests until you've got a more experienced party.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 9, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Right now I have four proficiency slots in Warhammer and two in dual weilding. For the last (th level) slot, better to take an off hand weapon (the katana I guess? for dak'kar's zerth blade?), finish maxing out Warhammer to 5, or take dual weilding to 3?

Even if you are planning on doing every single sidequest, in shear play hours you'll just be spending a lot more time without any fighter abilities if you wait until 12th level, one pip really isn't worth that. The fun of dual classing is being able to play with the abilities of both classes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Go 5 points in warhammer. You can put points in your offhand weapon spec with your mage levels (they're wasted if they overlap with your fighter ones because they dont add on, but you keep the ones that dobt overlap). 5 points is a significant upgrade over 4 points.

Honestly, depending on your party makeup, you'll either want a scimitar or short sword in your offhand to get the extra attack per round from Kundane or Belm. Neither of these are available to mages anyway, so it doesn't really matter what profs you get with the mage.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
Encounters in BG got a lot easier now I have the two guys from the inn. I've just been opening every encounter with my MC Mage casting sleep and then having everybody wail on the unconscious enemies. If that doesn't work we run away and pepper them with arrows.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Amused Frog posted:

Encounters in BG got a lot easier now I have the two guys from the inn. I've just been opening every encounter with my MC Mage casting sleep and then having everybody wail on the unconscious enemies. If that doesn't work we run away and pepper them with arrows.

That solves pretty much 90% of BG's encounters.

Other great solve all spells: entangle (level 1 druid spell) web (2 mage), horror (2 mage), command (1 cleric), hold person (2 cleric).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Had a pretty tabletop-D&D experience playing BG2:EE last night. I went into the hidden mind flayer area of the Temple Sewers and started plugging away with my party, finding the first mind flayer fairly tough and tedious to wipe out, which I did eventually.

I had the bright idea to use Hexxat to sneak ahead and see what was up. Made it all the way to the end, none of the beasties noticed her. With some careful timing (to open and shut doors behind her to avoid being spotted out of stealth) I managed to pilfer the table with the Hammer of Thunderbolts on it. Didn't make it out of the room before hide in shadows timed out, she was torn to shreds.

Rested in the first room, so that she came back to life, only to find she had no equipment at all. So, she stealthed all the way back to the final room, used the curvature of the hallway to conceal summoning some dire wolves, and had them run distraction so she could go loot her equipment again, luckily without losing stealth.

Hexxat is a little boring in general but kind of fun mechanically at times.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, I've run into some kind of strange bug trying to import my character from BG 1 to BG 2.

I beat Sarevok, it created the "final save," I copied the file directory over to BG 2, tried to "import" it using the "import" button, and got this error message:

"We were unable to load the content for unknown. If you have not purchased it yet, please do so from the store."

Then it cancelled me out. As far as I can tell there's nothing for me to purchase in the store. I have the full extended editons purchased through Steam with all the included addons, bought it all like a week and a half ago? No mods or other addons besides the official. What's going on here and is there any workaround?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 11, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ok, I've run into some kind of strange bug trying to import my character from BG 1 to BG 2.

I beat Sarevok, it created the "final save," I copied the file directory over to BG 2, tried to "import" it using the "import" button, and got this error message:

"We were unable to load the content for unknown. If you have not purchased it yet, please do so from the store."

Then it cancelled me out. As far as I can tell there's nothing for me to purchase in the store. I have the full extended editons purchased through Steam with all the included addons, bought it all like a week and a half ago? No mods or other addons besides the official. What's going on here and is there any workaround?

if you can't get it to work, just make a new character and use cheats to change your stats and spells (if your a wizard or bard) to be identical. Very few items carry over, and it's easy to look up which ones if that's your concern.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Make a new character and shadowkeeper your stats/items is probably the best bet really. Importing a character is notoriously glitchy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

are you using one of the new soundsets/portraits from the ee? if so go back into bg1, load the last save you have, change the soundsets and portrait to default bg ones, save/export and try again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah I think it's because I was using a special portrait from the packaged DLC.

Anyway, I think i found a workaround OR I'm a colossal idiot and going around my rear end to get to my elbow, but I got a game started.

You have to import the character file, then exit out, then manually pick the character from the list of pregenerated characters when you "start new game." I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work and I'm an idiot or if that's just the workaround that works or what.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yeah I think it's because I was using a special portrait from the packaged DLC.

Anyway, I think i found a workaround OR I'm a colossal idiot and going around my rear end to get to my elbow, but I got a game started.

You have to import the character file, then exit out, then manually pick the character from the list of pregenerated characters when you "start new game." I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work and I'm an idiot or if that's just the workaround that works or what.

That's how I've always done it. I beat bg, then load my final save, export my character, and start a new bg2 game and import him in. Works like a charm.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Going into BG EE more or less blind, can anyone give me some good (non-spoiler) advice for my Cavalier? (I know Inquisitor is better but I like Cavalier's theme and abilities more.) By that I mean I want to know like what kind of weapons should I specialize in, what would be a good party for a lawful good MC, is there anything else useful/important to know? I plan to take this char into BG2 and eventually the xpac as well if that info helps.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Two-handed swords are hands down the best choice for your weapon proficiency. Halberds are also good in BG2, and if you decide to dual-wield, longswords and katanas have excellent options.

Max your Strength, Dex, and Con. Other stats are less important.

A good balanced party (although there are lots of options) for you in BG1 would be Imoen, Jaheira, Xan, Minsc & Dynaheir, and either Branwen or Yeslick.

Edit: don't worry about picking Cavalier instead of Inquisitor. Cavaliers are still great and have very strong passives.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

One of the most powerful weapons in the game is a Paladin-only 2H sword, so yeah go 2H.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Man I had forgotten about this guy. He was a total beast and quite easy to miss because of his location. I always wanted him to return in BGII which was sorely lacking in cool priest characters (Anomen was a total chump). Plus if you had the other evil dwarf in your team they would go apeshit and fight each other.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

AtillatheBum posted:

Going into BG EE more or less blind, can anyone give me some good (non-spoiler) advice for my Cavalier? (I know Inquisitor is better but I like Cavalier's theme and abilities more.) By that I mean I want to know like what kind of weapons should I specialize in, what would be a good party for a lawful good MC, is there anything else useful/important to know? I plan to take this char into BG2 and eventually the xpac as well if that info helps.

Keep an eye out for fire resistance gear. The Cavalier gets a passive 20% resistance to fire damage, and there is a ring that gives 40%, as well as a helmet that gives 20%. Put those together with the Cavalier's passive bonus and you have a character that is more less immune to fire damage, so you can charge your Cavalier into a group of enemies and then launch fireballs at him and laugh as he mostly shrugs off the damage and every enemy burns to a crisp.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mzbundifund posted:

Two-handed swords are hands down the best choice for your weapon proficiency. Halberds are also good in BG2, and if you decide to dual-wield, longswords and katanas have excellent options.

Max your Strength, Dex, and Con. Other stats are less important.

A good balanced party (although there are lots of options) for you in BG1 would be Imoen, Jaheira, Xan, Minsc & Dynaheir, and either Branwen or Yeslick.

Edit: don't worry about picking Cavalier instead of Inquisitor. Cavaliers are still great and have very strong passives.

You know I've never ever taken Xan or Dynaheir - the spells they miss out on are so annoying. I feel Quayle and Edwin are much stronger casters.
Just use Edwin, Jaheira, Khalid, Yeslick (I love Yeslick) and Kivan then maybe swap out one for Quayle later.

I'd even rate Xzar as a better caster than Dynaheir.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, with a minimum of spoilers (it's been over a decade since I played this game), what's a good party composition for BG 2 / Throne of Bhaal? PC is, as above, fighter planning to dual to mage at level 9, specialized in warhammers (there were only so many options that had good weapons in both BG 1 and BG 2). Right now my rough thoughts are Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Jan, Aerie, but my nephew's been making a good case for dropping Jaheira and grabbing Viconia instead. Thoughts on that? Will I run into major aligment / party bitching problems? Also thinking I'll have Minsc dual weild the Flail of Ages and . . something else?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Druid has really odd level progression, so Jaheira will fall behind for a long time in the middle of BG2 before catching up again later. Viconia's big advantage is the innate Drow magic resistance, which makes her really tanky against spellcasters. The 19 dex gives her a good AC to help out against physical classes too. She also has the full 18 WIS, unlike either Jaheira or Aerie, though that'll become less important as you level up. If you're careful to respect her low CON you can even chuck Crom Faeyr on her and make her a reasonably effective melee character. As for party bitching, not as far as I can remember. Make sure your rep doesn't exceed 18 and Viconia won't leave.

I personally also prefer Viconia's personality to Jaheira's - she's too much like a scolding schoolmarm for my liking. And Aerie is just a colossal wet blanket.

edit: the standard offhand for a dual-wielding character is Belm, because the extra attack applies to your main-hand weapon.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 11, 2015

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

It depends on your alignment and other character choices, but I'm a big fan of Keldorn. Inquisitor is a game breaking class with their super dispel magic and true sight innate abilities. It also gives you an option for the Holy Avenger. The only real downsides are he and Viconia hate each other and will come to blows and he's so good that some folks think he cheats the magic countering system that's a big part of BG2 with his dispel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I was planning on having my main go crom faeyr / belm, but maybe I won't since he's a caster -- he could go dak'kon's zerth blade off hand just for the spells. Bleh. I want to have someone use the flail effectively. I tend to always veer pretty strongly Good Aligned in games like this so I suspect keeping my reputation below 19 will actually be a challenge.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

IIRC just having Viconia join you knocks 2 points off your rep, so if it's getting too high just kick her out then take her back in. You won't have to go peasant-slaughtering to keep her. (Though be careful of your timing if you're in a romance with her).

You can give Viccy the Gauntlets of Ogre Power if you want Crom on your main.

edit: Though Flail is worth considering for CHARNAME's main-hand. Its bonuses are offensively-oriented and as a dual-wielding Kensai/Mage with Haste and Time Stop and so on you will be doing a lot of hits.

edit2: VVV oh yeah, forgot about that. That works too.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 11, 2015

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

The easy way to manage rep in BG2 is simply shift into slayer form. You lose rep every time you shift so just do that to stabilize your reputation.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, I was planning on having my main go crom faeyr / belm, but maybe I won't since he's a caster -- he could go dak'kon's zerth blade off hand just for the spells. Bleh. I want to have someone use the flail effectively. I tend to always veer pretty strongly Good Aligned in games like this so I suspect keeping my reputation below 19 will actually be a challenge.

I think you can kick Viconia from the party then add her back as she lowers your rep by 2 whenever you add her. That might just be in Baldur's Gate but it was a pretty good way of managing your rep. I believe that the add-on guy Michael Dorn II-Khan does the same thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Metal Meltdown posted:

The easy way to manage rep in BG2 is simply shift into slayer form. You lose rep every time you shift so just do that to stabilize your reputation.

woohoo problem solved thanks!

Gauntlets of ogre power won't work since those get consumed for Crom Faeyr right, but I could give her a girdle, there are a few of those. According to wiki's in the EE's you also gain two rep when she leaves the party but maybe there's still a way to game it.

Sounds like the plan then is PC, Imoen, Minsc, Jan, Viconia, probably Aerie if only so that Minsc can get his new witch. Viconia can go flail freeing Minsc to stick with two-handers (lilarcor!).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 11, 2015

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Gauntlets of ogre power won't work since those get consumed for Crom Faeyr right, but I could give her a girdle, there are a few of those. According to wiki's in the EE's you also gain two rep when she leaves the party but maybe there's still a way to game it.

Sounds like the plan then is PC, Imoen, Minsc, Jan, Viconia, probably Aerie if only so that Minsc can get his new witch. Viconia can go flail freeing Minsc to stick with two-handers (lilarcor!).

There are a bunch of girdles, one of which is available from the beginning (hill giant strength, in the adventure mart, as I recall)

Also always take Mazzy and edit her into a Cavalier.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I don't like any of the BG2 clerics (except Viconia, and I love money and dislike micromanaging rep too much to take her in a good party) so I solved it by making my main a ranger/cleric. Crom Faeyr in the off hand and Flail of Ages in the main hand kick serious rear end; sure you "lose out" on an attack, but increased to hit and damage from 25 strength mitigates that a lot. And when you get whirlwind attacks it ceases to matter at all. This is perfectly viable on a second character as well, such as Minsc. You could always EEkeeper your proficiency to a different one (like axes, for axe of the unyielding goodness) as you seem to have bet on the Crom Faeyr from the start.

As for your cleric issue, I think it depends largely on your tolerance for micromanaging reputation. Although Viconia will bitch a lot at high rep.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gauntlets of ogre power won't work since those get consumed for Crom Faeyr right, but I could give her a girdle, there are a few of those.
If you're playing through from BG1->ToB I'm pretty sure you get two Gaunlets - one in BG1 and one in BG2, though it's been a long time so I could be wrong. In any case, yes, the girdle is a good idea.

Honestly, if you do take Viconia (and for my money she is the best cleric in the game) I'd give her the Crom Faeyr and use Flail of Ages + Belm on your main character.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Taear posted:

You know I've never ever taken Xan or Dynaheir - the spells they miss out on are so annoying. I feel Quayle and Edwin are much stronger casters.
Just use Edwin, Jaheira, Khalid, Yeslick (I love Yeslick) and Kivan then maybe swap out one for Quayle later.

I'd even rate Xzar as a better caster than Dynaheir.

Yeah Edwin's the caster with the most spell slots thanks to his cheating amulet, but he's also evil, and it's really tricky to manage evil party members in a party with a paladin PC without accidentally dropping your reputation below Fallen status, or having quest rewards raise it too high and having Edwin stomp off in a huff with 50,000gp worth of items on him. That's a big problem for someone going in blind. Xzar has the same problem but he doesn't even have Edwin's cheating amulet advantages. Quayle would be alright but he's inaccessible until very late in the game. That's why I didn't recommend those guys. It's true that Xan and Dynaheir both have blind spots, but they're different blind spots, so between the both of them you get access to everything.

That seems like kind of a waste of the flail to me, since Viconia has only one attack per round. PC clerics can get around that with the Boon of Lathander, but she doesn't have that advantage. Viconia also has terrible strength AND terrible constitution, you can sort of get around it by micromanage swapping the girdles of fortitude and hill giant strength around on her, but she really has no business being on the front lines. Lilarcor isn't nearly as strong as the flail. If you want to free Minsc up to use other weapons, why not bring Anomen? He fits your party alignment far better, especially once you do his main quest, and he's much stronger on the front lines than Viconia is.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The other option if you don't want ever want Viconia to melee (though she's decent enough at the job with a STR boost and some heavy armour) is to give her the Sling of Seeking, which grants bonus damage from strength. So stick a girdle/gauntlets on her, give her the sling, and she's a passable ranged combatant, something your party presently lacks.

Either way she'll be casting spells most of the time.

edit: derp, seeking, not striking

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mzbundifund posted:

If you want to free Minsc up to use other weapons, why not bring Anomen? He fits your party alignment far better, especially once you do his main quest, and he's much stronger on the front lines than Viconia is.

Hrm, that seems like a good call.