Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
ILO works fine with MO. I have no idea why the :nexus: page says that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Silly goons. RWL is the best, has a ESP that works with ENB if that is your thing, and works with TTW.

ILO is also pretty cool.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Edit: Also a question for Antistar, your ACS mod (which is awesome, so thanks) has a CaliberX patch which was last updated for 4.015. CaliberX has since been updated to 4.017 which has added two new crafting and breakdown recipes. I'm not too bothered if you don't get around to updating the patch, as great as that'd be, but I was wondering if this will cause conflicts or it'll just be "new CaliberX recipes aren't ACS-ified" which is easy enough to live with.

It still weirds me out when I'm sitting here procrastinating and browsing through the thread, when suddenly someone asks me something directly. It's sort of like watching a TV show and having the characters all turn and start talking to me personally. :psyduck:

Anyway, I had a quick look at the CaliberX update and it looks like it should be fine to use the existing ACSxCAL patch, but you will get some duplicate crafting recipes for 5.7x28mm and 7.62x25mm Tokarev rounds if you happen to have those ammo types activated. The Caliber versions of the recipes notably have slightly different components, will not be in their own category, and will appear even if you don't have the relevant schematic (in the case of the more advanced rounds).

I may update the patch at some point; we'll see.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Silly goons. RWL is the best, has a ESP that works with ENB if that is your thing, and works with TTW.

ILO is also pretty cool.

TTW RWL causes crashes with the intro slideshows of the New Vegas DLC packs. That made me switch to Nevada Skies.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Woolie Wool posted:

Even with ILO, I have no problem seeing in non-dungeon interiors, maybe you should replace your 15" CRT with a display made this century. :smug:

apparently it advises you to crank your brightness which I'm sure is doing great things for your eyes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I use my monitor on stock brightness and ILO looks fine to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You don't do this anyway? Anything lower and Windows just looks weird to me, regardless of what monitor I'm using.

I don't like staring into the sun while I am using my computer so no, I don't do that. What most indoor lighting mods have noticed is that Fallout NV's indoor areas have pretty drat sparse light sources so the modder either needs to a) plop more in which takes lots of work or b) just ignore it and then everything ends up way dark because vanilla NV has lots of ambient lighting and the mod doesn't.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Woolie Wool posted:

I use my monitor on stock brightness and ILO looks fine to me.

Same.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gyshall posted:

ILO is also pretty cool.

Using RWL and it makes everything pretty in morning/night but I'm not seeing a lot of difference during the day, I am however seeing a couple weird glitches like momentary screen blackouts during overcast weather and the lighting in places like Freeside looking way too bright and washed out. Anyway, that plus Dynavision are as close as I'm gonna get to running an ENB.

And if my nights ever get too dark, the flares mod makes for some nice atmospheric lighting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When dealing with nights that are too dark, I compensate in-character by going to sleep or hanging around doing indoors stuff instead of adventuring into the dangerous and unknown nights. It does help push the game's timeline along, since it's really easy for a guy rushing on non-hardcore to finish the whole thing in less than one in-game week.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I haven't encountered a lighting mod which accurately handles the ability of an eye to adapt to bright/dark areas over time (you may have heard of pupillary response) but I feel like if such a thing existed it would handle so much of the complaints and be more "realistic" to boot - which is after all half of the justification of these mods. :v:

of course it'd also mean you would be flashbanging yourself every time you stepped out of a cave into Nevada during the day, but hey.

anyway I've used ILO and then run without it, same with weather mods, same with whatever. It's all about finding personal preference and going with it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Psion posted:

I haven't encountered a lighting mod which accurately handles the ability of an eye to adapt to bright/dark areas over time (you may have heard of pupillary response) but I feel like if such a thing existed it would handle so much of the complaints and be more "realistic" to boot - which is after all half of the justification of these mods. :v:

of course it'd also mean you would be flashbanging yourself every time you stepped out of a cave into Nevada during the day, but hey.

anyway I've used ILO and then run without it, same with weather mods, same with whatever. It's all about finding personal preference and going with it.

It's what happens the first time you step foot out of the doc's house and I always thought it was a nice effect (the first time, now it's just one more annoyance along with all the DLC popups). What you're describing is also a small touch in vanilla Skyrim I always liked, that when you look up at the sky or down at the ground, there's a small delay for your eyes to adjust.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Saint Sputnik posted:

It's what happens the first time you step foot out of the doc's house and I always thought it was a nice effect (the first time, now it's just one more annoyance along with all the DLC popups). What you're describing is also a small touch in vanilla Skyrim I always liked, that when you look up at the sky or down at the ground, there's a small delay for your eyes to adjust.

Yeah it happened outside of Vault 101 in FO3, too. I don't think I'd want that effect each time - I feel like we're playing a game, we can make concessions to gameplay (much like vanilla has relatively high ambient light so players can actually navigate in a cave) but some form of brightness adaptation would be cool. I've played some Skyrim but I never noticed the adjustment you talk about, maybe I need to play it more.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Also as you get closer to the entrance to a cave there's more light because it's not like the cave actually has a barrier blocking off all light from passing the mouth

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

I feel like we're playing a game, we can make concessions to gameplay (much like vanilla has relatively high ambient light so players can actually navigate in a cave) but some form of brightness adaptation would be cool. I've played some Skyrim but I never noticed the adjustment you talk about, maybe I need to play it more.
Thing is, while stuff like that may sound nice in theory, it generally sucks in practice (much like for example pitch black nights because *realism*). Skyrim's eye adaptation effect is really lovely: Basically every time you so much as glance up to the sky or anything the game classifies as "bright" and look away, you're blinded for a few moments.
It's really distracting and I honestly can't comprehend how anyone can play that game without a mod that disables that ridiculous effect as much as possible.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Lighting is a very underutilized gameplay mechanic IMO. The darker nights mods in FONV would be much better if they actually made the AI act like it was pitch black outside. I mean it's already really easy to sneak, but maybe on a moonless night the enemies shouldn't even be able to see you when you're not sneaking.

e: aesthetically I much prefer the look of sparse but bright light sources over dim, diffuse ambient lights.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 10, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
imo lighting in games should all work like splinter cell chaos theory and the flashlights should work like the first condemned game

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Meaning you should be able to murder hobos with them?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I've been using some spare cycles to make a couple of small expansion/rebalance mods around stealth, melee, and survival in FONV. I'm about ready to start a playthrough of the game to figure out how useful and/or balanced the whole thing is, but I'm curious if anyone else is interested in testing the new game items and mechanics. I have detailed notes that I could post but basically the two bits that are done now are throwing weapon retrieval and crafting, and new stealth consumables. All these are currently crafted using survival skill. The new stealth consumables are a smoke bomb that blinds nearby enemies (-Perception) and conceals you (stealth field) for about 3 seconds, and a knockout bomb that does massive amounts of fatigue damage to enemies (very small AoE) who haven't detected the player and a very minor amount of fatigue damage to enemies that have detected the player.

I found that the existing throwing weapon retrieval mods on the nexus had pretty much game-breaking bugs, and the throwing weapon crafting ones just seemed a bit crummy. Hopefully my version is less crummy!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

I've been using some spare cycles to make a couple of small expansion/rebalance mods around stealth, melee, and survival in FONV. I'm about ready to start a playthrough of the game to figure out how useful and/or balanced the whole thing is, but I'm curious if anyone else is interested in testing the new game items and mechanics. I have detailed notes that I could post but basically the two bits that are done now are throwing weapon retrieval and crafting, and new stealth consumables. All these are currently crafted using survival skill. The new stealth consumables are a smoke bomb that blinds nearby enemies (-Perception) and conceals you (stealth field) for about 3 seconds, and a knockout bomb that does massive amounts of fatigue damage to enemies (very small AoE) who haven't detected the player and a very minor amount of fatigue damage to enemies that have detected the player.

I found that the existing throwing weapon retrieval mods on the nexus had pretty much game-breaking bugs, and the throwing weapon crafting ones just seemed a bit crummy. Hopefully my version is less crummy!

I was trying to figure out which one of those retreivable throwing weapon mods I wanted to get, but if they're all buggy, I'll test yours. Running a stealth character anyway, and I need a way to sneak up on the assholes inside the Bison Steve because apparently the mod-given melee weapon they all have has such a range that they can stand on the second floor and hit me way down here.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

A well implemented throwing retrieval mod would get me to actually play a throwing character, so I'd be interested in testing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Here are my notes from planning this:

Retrieval:
- Retrieval breakdown (spear + throwing hatchet + tomahawk):
+ 30% intact
+ 20% shaft (blade destroyed)
+ 25% shaft + dull blade (binding destroyed)
+ 15% nothing (completely destroyed)
+ 10% dull blade (shaft destroyed)
- Retrieval breakdown (throwing knife):
+ 40% intact
+ 35% dull blade (blade dulled)
+ 25% nothing (completely destroyed)

[Not even gonna bother transcribing this from OneNote...]

Red stuff I removed already because I didn't like it, orange isn't done yet maybe won't implement, yellow ones are in but incomplete (couldn't decide on skill requirement). The whetstone and knife ingredients have been removed in this most recent version. Instead you first must craft a 'Blade Care Kit' at a campfire from a knife, whetstone, and leather belt (35 Survival skill required). Once you have the BCK you can drop that on the ground and use it to open the new throwing weapon crafting interface. Sneak-use the BCK to pick it back up.

What I'm going for is a similar balance between retrieval and crafting to the reloading mechanic. I initially planned 100% retrieval rate but it was... too easy?

I'm very open to any suggestions on how to improve it. This is a rough prototype, I guess. From my testing of the other retrieval mods out there (and comparing what they actually do mechanically) I think this one is more robust. The biggest trade-off is that I had to switch throwing weapons from dismember-only to explode-only, meaning that you will explode enemy limbs instead of cutting them off. Get esp from here

(Just like in real life I lose all my steam when it's time to test :v:)

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 11, 2015

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rad. It might even be easier and more enjoyable to rely on throwing weapons since they seem to work with the G hotkey in PN, not just grenades. (How do I specify which item i want to throw with the key though?)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

Rad. It might even be easier and more enjoyable to rely on throwing weapons since they seem to work with the G hotkey in PN, not just grenades. (How do I specify which item i want to throw with the key though?)

there was a key to cycle through all your throwables.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Saint Sputnik posted:

Let me know how it goes. If totally-intact retrieval rate is 30-40% are you okay with a modest survival skill investment required to make them from scratch or recycle broken ones?

cndblank
Nov 6, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Every RPG character is a blood-soaked bandit lord, violating the persons and property of those the game considers enemies, and no one in the game world seems to notice as long as you only kill and steal from "bad people".

True, but as they say "War never changes."
And it has been SOP since forever to go fight your "enemies"/neighbors to blood your troops, get them some loot, line your own pockets, and just to have fun that just makes it an authentic experience. ;)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also, no matter how tragic your past is, you can always be redeemed and become a good guy and have everything be forgiven.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I think I really want to try playing as a stupid Caesar's Legion Luddite. No weapons, save for a cowboy repeater if I need it. Just chuckin' spears and slingin' machetes.

How lovely is it? I want to be recognized by wandering contuberni or whatever. I don't want to have sacked a dozen camps and towns in Caesars name, only to have some dipshit recruit refer to me as a wastrel.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 12, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I think I really want to try playing as a stupid Caesar's Legion Luddite. No weapons, save for a cowboy repeater if I need it. Just chuckin' spears and slingin' machetes.

How lovely is it? I want to be recognized by wandering contuberni or whatever. I don't want to have sacked a dozen camps and towns in Caesars name, only to have some dipshit recruit refer to me as a wastrel.

Haven't done a Legion run, but I don't think there's any way except mods to force the Legion to use the voice clips for their own faction. But you can use Roleplayer's Alternate Start (or whatever the mod is called) to start yourself in the Legion as best as the game can.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Let me know how it goes. If totally-intact retrieval rate is 30-40% are you okay with a modest survival skill investment required to make them from scratch or recycle broken ones?

Any chance of a version with just 100% recovery and not the crafting aspect?

Or maybe an option where the recovery rate scales with survival, to 100% at 100 survival.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Any chance of a version with just 100% recovery and not the crafting aspect?

Or maybe an option where the recovery rate scales with survival, to 100% at 100 survival.

Yeah I can put one like that up when I get home. As I said, I started there but it seemed kind of messed up to me that I'd never lose them. You still can't recover them if you miss entirely, so I guess there is still a sink for throwing weapons.

e: not by design, just because throwing weapons cease to exist after you throw them and there is no way to determine when/where they strike terrain in a script.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You can't pick up throwing weapons if they land in the world? Huh. I didn't realise; I've never paid any attention to them.

Seems sort of weird; technically they become projectiles, like frag mines for example - and you can certainly pick those up. Mine projectiles have 'Default Weapon Source' defined, though. Did you try that? (My instinct is telling me that that's too obvious a solution.)

Edit: Throwing knives, etc even have a 'Can be picked up' flag enabled.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Antistar01 posted:

You can't pick up throwing weapons if they land in the world? Huh. I didn't realise; I've never paid any attention to them.

Seems sort of weird; technically they become projectiles, like frag mines for example - and you can certainly pick those up. Mine projectiles have 'Default Weapon Source' defined, though. Did you try that? (My instinct is telling me that that's too obvious a solution.)

Edit: Throwing knives, etc even have a 'Can be picked up' flag enabled.

I believe the reason is that throwing weapons are 'missile' type projectiles rather than 'lobber'. Changing throwing weapons to 'lobber' introduces a bunch of other weird issues.

e: That being said I'm gonna go test the projectile type setting again to see how it looks.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 12, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I believe the reason is that throwing weapons are 'missile' type projectiles rather than 'lobber'. Changing throwing weapons to 'lobber' introduces a bunch of other weird issues.

e: That being said I'm gonna go test the projectile type setting again to see how it looks.

After checking this out:
- With 'Lobber' you can pick them up off the ground, but the normal weapon effect doesn't fire on hitting someone. Also the throwing weapons bounce off people which looks quite strange.
- With 'Lobber' and an explosion set presumably you could create a small radius (invisible) explosion to get the weapon effect to fire, but an explosion being set seems to always make your projectile disappear. So you wouldn't be able to pick them up anymore.

I will see if there is another way to check when someone is hit by a lobber (non-explosive) projectile, but in my tests the weapon effect and OnHit/OnHitWith seem to always be triggered at the same time.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
So I can't pick up spears that legion recruits chuck at me? I can't pick up my own chucked spears?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

So I can't pick up spears that legion recruits chuck at me? I can't pick up my own chucked spears?

In vanilla? No you've never been able to do that.

edit: Also it is possible to detect if an actor is hit BY a throwing weapon (in the Lobbing projectile type scenario), but this won't give you the ref of the actual instance of the object so that you could disable it and add a copy to the victim's container. Is there a way to get the ref of a projectile that hit you?

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 12, 2015

3D Budgie
Sep 11, 2011

Want to milsperg with your All-American or stupid mod weapons? I recommend adding Bullet Cracks. :jihad:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

In vanilla? No you've never been able to do that.

edit: Also it is possible to detect if an actor is hit BY a throwing weapon (in the Lobbing projectile type scenario), but this won't give you the ref of the actual instance of the object so that you could disable it and add a copy to the victim's container. Is there a way to get the ref of a projectile that hit you?

I never used thrown weapons so I never tried, but :tviv: what a massive, stupid oversight.

Now I'll never be able to make a javelin specialist legionnaire :(

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I never used thrown weapons so I never tried, but :tviv: what a massive, stupid oversight.

Now I'll never be able to make a javelin specialist legionnaire :(

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35101/

this is pretty highly rated on the nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
Improved Throwing does work pretty well, yeah. In addition to letting you fetch weapons that connect with what you were throwing at, it lets you craft throwing weapons and convert stock knives/hatchets to their throwing counterpart.

Too bad throwing hatchets are still pretty underpowered for how heavy they are. Oh well, can't win 'em all.