Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'd ride the poo poo out of it without care.

I've ridden a lot worse than a JBwelded case, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Or, if it's a removable cover, just fix the loving thing for $20 or so.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

slidebite posted:

Or, if it's a removable cover, just fix the loving thing for $20 or so.

It's a $160 part that can be protected with an aftermarket $20 cover.

You could probably still put on a cover over that JB weld though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Put a cover over the jb weld so the buyer doesn't see it and try to haggle the price down as a result.

~just PO things~

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Put a cover over the jb weld so the buyer doesn't see it and try to haggle the price down as a result.

~just PO things~

All DRZs have this modification.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Christ I'm a little worried about needing to get $3000 out of my 2008 Drz400 with aftermarket bars and bark busters, a new rear spring and new tires. With like 5000 miles. Mine is pretty cherry.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4912392719.html

2000 SV650 for $1,600, looks pretty clean!

Ryutsuke
Dec 9, 2005
So I saw a Honda Magna, not sure what year, in the neighborhood with a sign that said "For Sale $600". According to a friend that knows the owner he says the bike has an overheating issue , the carb has a leak, and the tags are out of date (not sure if it's non-op).
Just driving by the bike doesn't seem to be in to bad of condition but I would have to take a closer look.

My questions:
Would this be a bike worth fixing up?
If I go talk to the owner what kind of questions should I ask?

The more important question would be, if I can fix it would this bike be good as a starter bike?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Don't get a broken-rear end bike for a first bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

They don't list the mileage anywhere on the ad (do they?).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ryutsuke posted:

So I saw a Honda Magna, not sure what year, in the neighborhood with a sign that said "For Sale $600". According to a friend that knows the owner he says the bike has an overheating issue , the carb has a leak, and the tags are out of date (not sure if it's non-op).
Just driving by the bike doesn't seem to be in to bad of condition but I would have to take a closer look.

My questions:

The more important question would be, if I can fix it would this bike be good as a starter bike?

Nooooooooope. Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ryutsuke posted:

My questions:

No. If you really want an 80s bike as a starter bike, get something that runs well. Magnas were a pain in the rear end to work on too.

Ryutsuke
Dec 9, 2005
Thanks guys! I'll keep saving and looking for something much better.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Nooooooooope. Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope.
This is always the answer when the question involves a Magna.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My local craigslist reveals only a couple older cheaper bikes, a 1977 Yamaha XS650 and a 1977 Suzuki GS 550.

I have no idea which bike handles better when they run. The Yamaha is $500 and appears to be missing a lot of body panels. The Yamaha also lacks a title :supaburn:. The Suzuki is $1,000 and looks complete but needs a head gasket.

I don't plan to buy anything I am just browsing and dreaming about having a project someday. I have my daily driver/rider and I don't do much work on either one (I'm new to garage ownership, don't have tools, etc) so I would love to pickup something like one of these bikes to learn more about working on motorcycles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

My local craigslist reveals only a couple older cheaper bikes, a 1977 Yamaha XS650 and a 1977 Suzuki GS 550.

I have no idea which bike handles better when they run. The Yamaha is $500 and appears to be missing a lot of body panels. The Yamaha also lacks a title :supaburn:. The Suzuki is $1,000 and looks complete but needs a head gasket.

I don't plan to buy anything I am just browsing and dreaming about having a project someday. I have my daily driver/rider and I don't do much work on either one (I'm new to garage ownership, don't have tools, etc) so I would love to pickup something like one of these bikes to learn more about working on motorcycles.

I don't think "handling" is a thing you can measure or compare on 70s Japanese bikes, at least without dividing by zero.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I would say those are not really worth it, even as projects - get something that you will enjoy and be proud of when you are finished, those things are just trash bikes. Unless you get them for less than $100 or free, not worth it imo.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Both of those are horror shows.

The XS might be an OK project, but I'd be real reluctant to put any money or effort into it (including getting it home) without knowing what's up with the title. If the owner just lost the paper, it might not be a huge deal. I've bought bikes like that and dragged the seller to the DOL and made sure the title was legit and put it in my name at the counter. More likely though the PO got that bike in similar condition without a title wanting to do a project themselves but couldn't get it transferred in their name.

The GS probably isn't even worth parting out.

If you're scraping the bottom of craigslist for '70s UJMs, handling doesn't really enter the picture at all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I didn't click either one but an XS650 is a cool bike and a GS550 is not.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Do they handle as bad as a Harley? :v: Really though, I am scraping the bottom hoping to see a cheap pile of rust that can be turned into a biek with enough pb blaster and a rattle can, I jam just after a "learning experience". No, I'm not buying either of those, I can wait to start my torture. I did manage to find a UJM. :suicide:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On a '70s bike, judging handling is pretty much "does it go into a terminal tank slapper very often? no? then it handles well". So any - and I mean any - bike from like 1990-forward will handle a lot better in terms of it probably won't try to kill you, Harleys included. My '78 XS750 loves to pogo and scare the crap out of me if I even approach what resembles a lean angle.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I concur , XS650's are very cool, my '82 XS650S Heritage Special;

The motors were drat near bullet proof if you just kept up basic maintenance. A pretty forgiving first street bike.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Outside Dawg posted:

I concur , XS650's are very cool, my '82 XS650S Heritage Special;

The motors were drat near bullet proof if you just kept up basic maintenance. A pretty forgiving first street bike.

Just curious, what is your opinion of the tank slap or other issues mentioned? I hate to be argumentative but I just find it difficult to believe UJMs are really that dangerous.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Don't buy one of the old 2t widowmakers and don't expect it to ride nor treat it like a sport bike and you'll be fine. If it's well maintained, they're not going to randomly toss you off.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Crotch Fruit posted:

Just curious, what is your opinion of the tank slap or other issues mentioned? I hate to be argumentative but I just find it difficult to believe UJMs are really that dangerous.

Never experienced any tank slap or any of the other issues, I loved it as a first street bike after coming up through riding dirt bikes, mainly because it was light enough to throw around like a big dirt bike (Yamaha TT500) if you needed to.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The handling issues are if you're riding them real hard, which nobody does on those old bikes anyway.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Not going into a tank slapper on an old machine:

Don't try to wheelie or make the front end too light.
Make sure your tire pressures are proper

the end

(P.S. look out for kawasaki's with bigger motors, they tended to put larger engines in smaller frames)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Will this mod negatively effect the ride-ability of this bike?

http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/4922822941.html

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

Don't get a broken-rear end bike for a first bike.

How about a twenty year old two stroke Kawi?

Honestly I'm tempted even if it turns out to be a paperweight, because I think it looks incredible, if somewhat less than comfortable:

Realtalk, how much would that handlebar position gently caress my shoulders/back?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
gently caress? Please... it would be uncomfortable for sure though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

Will this mod negatively effect the ride-ability of this bike?

The brakes feel very wooden now.

cryosis
Mar 26, 2007
I've been looking for a DRZ and no clue if this is a good deal or not.

http://skagit.craigslist.org/mcy/4920707297.html

2009 DR-Z400SM for 5300. 1800 miles, FCR39 carb, Yoshi RS-3 and a set of dirt wheels.

Yes/No?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I guess.

If your buying a DRZ, I'd say buy a rattier one for cheaper. If you are able to drop $5k, you are very close to just working harder / being more patient and getting a much better 690 based KTM in the $6500-7k range.

So, I'd go rattier or save up longer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cryosis posted:

I've been looking for a DRZ and no clue if this is a good deal or not.

http://skagit.craigslist.org/mcy/4920707297.html

2009 DR-Z400SM for 5300. 1800 miles, FCR39 carb, Yoshi RS-3 and a set of dirt wheels.

Yes/No?

Seems like you're paying for bike + mods. Seems kind of expensive for what you're getting so I'd probably hold off but I don't know your market. MSRP is only 6100 new.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I'm selling my sv650 after racking up 31k miles and am looking at getting a dual sport or super moto. I'm leaning towards the wr250 due to light maintenance, fun, fuel injection, and 6spd.

I've been in contact with both these sellers and there's been no major red flags from the myriad of questions I've sent beyond the completely stock one sitting for 6months.

Questions: Is there anything else besides the fuel pump in the 08 to look for? Are the mods worth a few hundred extra? What do you think is a fair offer?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/4924975340.html

http://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/4917863283.html

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

I guess.

If your buying a DRZ, I'd say buy a rattier one for cheaper. If you are able to drop $5k, you are very close to just working harder / being more patient and getting a much better 690 based KTM in the $6500-7k range.

So, I'd go rattier or save up longer.

OR spend 3k on a '03 WR450f, 1k on a sumo setup and about $600 on a street legal kit. :getin:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

OR spend 3k on a '03 WR450f, 1k on a sumo setup and about $600 on a street legal kit. :getin:

Or a XC-W KTM + plate. Listen to slim here.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I was thinking about getting a KTM EXC for dual sporting/adv touring stuff but then I downloaded the manual and read the maintenance intervals.

Seriously? at 135 hours non-racing use, replace the piston, valves, valve springs, valve seats, conrod and all engine bearings?

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I was thinking about getting a KTM EXC for dual sporting/adv touring stuff but then I downloaded the manual and read the maintenance intervals.

Seriously? at 135 hours non-racing use, replace the piston, valves, valve springs, valve seats, conrod and all engine bearings?

There's a good deal on a 450 in the pnw but that is exactly what is steering me away.

http://pnwriders.com/motorcycles/197840-2008-ktm-450-exc-r.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

You buy a drz to ride, you buy a ktm to perform maintenance.

I was thinking about buying a ktm last year. a friend was giving me poo poo about it. I come over to watch you wrench enough as is, when are you going to get something so that we can actually go riding. :v: