Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Subway is the worst. you guys are nuts!

The subway? You're wining about an incredibly short melee only stage (that gives you the option of hulking out if you want to) with minimal bullshit after doing two bullshit-heavy melee only stages in the last level?

Icept posted:

The best levels in the game were the ones they designed for exclusive no gun usage (reporter, tony). The gun levels pretty much force you to a slow crawl or excessive gunfire baiting.

No kidding they were great, though Tony and the twins had some specific utter bullshit zones in their unique stages. Mainly that one foyer with the trees for Tony, and the one dude at the end of the hall for the twins.

Even with those bullshit bits, they were actually fun.

The subway following it was like the least bullshit stage I've seen so far.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
The music in the tower level with the fans is awesome.

I'm about to start the second soldier level and everything about this game feels better than the first except for the level design. I like all the character gimmicks - the twins, combat roll guy, even nonlethal guy. Not sure what's going on with the story yet, hopefully it comes together

That level design, though, drat. I can't imagine being able to get a fast high ranking run on some of these things. Just way too big & open, too many windows, too many situations where you're forced to use guns. The last two parts of the container ship level were brutal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Alkydere posted:

The subway? You're wining about an incredibly short melee only stage (that gives you the option of hulking out if you want to) with minimal bullshit after doing two bullshit-heavy melee only stages in the last level?

The subway is designed such that players routinely can't see enemies moving at the far edge of their visual range(including holding shift), so that getting killed by enemies you can't see is the most likely cause of death.

I'm wondering if testing and design were done on monitors with an unusual aspect ratio or something.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
I have a feeling this is gonna be patched to hell and back. It was a fun game to play through, but at this stage it won't be fun to play again.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

The subway is designed such that players routinely can't see enemies moving at the far edge of their visual range(including holding shift), so that getting killed by enemies you can't see is the most likely cause of death.

This was my exact problem. Without a gun to fire and aggro the baddies I kept getting sniped by dudes before I could tell if they were even facing me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm wondering if testing and design were done on monitors with an unusual aspect ratio or something.

I disagree. Almost any that would be out of site don't have guns or are in an area that says don't run straight down the middle here. I found it rather refreshing with it's difficulty. I did not even die in the 3rd part of the stage.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I got an A+ on HARD Execution. Man I really wish they re-used Perturbator's Sexualizer in another level, that loving song pumps me to the max :(

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Sooooo I just finished the second Hawaii stage and I just put together that the soldier you play as is the goddamn guy running all the stores in HM1, that's great.

It was a tricky stage to run through but after the first map gave me a fair bit of trouble I got through the next two pretty easily. You can kill a lot of enemies with just the knife, and it's worth saving the gun for the ones you absolutely can't.

Refused posted:

That level design, though, drat. I can't imagine being able to get a fast high ranking run on some of these things. Just way too big & open, too many windows, too many situations where you're forced to use guns. The last two parts of the container ship level were brutal.

Yeah if I had a big complaint about the game right now this would be it. All my clears are boiling down to playing slowly and cautiously, with a lot of baiting enemies by stepping out from a corner to pull them somewhere isolated to be killed. Even dudes with assault rifles will just charge blindly into your melee weapon through the ancient technique of corner peakaboo. I literally just don't see a way to clear a stage like the hawaii one or some of the detective's scenes while keeping a big combo or getting a big time bonus. I imagine someone on youtube will prove me wrong soon enough.

The closest I've gotten to some of the HM1 style whirling dervish kill spree through a level has been any level where I could play as the Twins. And seriously guys, the Twins are so loving great, just charging through a room with the 'saw swinging and the gun firing ahead of you. Naturally, I was pretty pissed as hell with how the end of chapter 12 turned out...

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
What does an ammo box look like, do they work if my gun isn't empty

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

fwiw playing on hard mode pretty well forces you to go balls out all the time because you're not going to beat them in a shootout. So yes it is possible. Also running around and breaking everyones guns as the reporter is fun as hell

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
Just rage quit on Seizure. Dark environments with enemies wearing black and black dogs is total bullshit. I was liking this game but the shortcomings are starting to stack up more and more.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So, is it just me, or is hard mode way more fun than regular mode? I can't quite put my finger on why, but I'm having way more fun with it than I had with normal. Also, having beaten the game, how is anyone having trouble following the plot? There's not really anything particularly confusing at any point in the story.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I completely lost track of the dates beside stuff taking place in earlier years, but I think the story fell together fairly well at the end.
Rough chronology from what I gather?: (Massive spoilers obviously)
Russia and USA go to war. Soldiers fight in terribley designed areas of Hawaii.
Lt. loses his poo poo and establishes the idea of the masks.
They ultimately are sort of betrayed, and the US lose the war.
The soldiers from Hawaii create the hotline network to... Get back at the Russians? Hence targetting only Russians. Made up pretty much entirely of manipulated people.
Hotline Miami 1 happens.
Jacket and Bald Caller go to jail, writer investigates Jacket's story etc. etc.
Bald Caller escapes from jail.
Fat Redneck fits in somewhere as thinking the Hotline is a secret government resistance movement and gets himself killed by the government who are loyal to Russia.
The Fans think Jacket is really cool so try to emulate his style with no idea about the Hotline. But they just target junkies and stuff. This doesn't get the attention they want.
Son robs the bank.
Fans get a lead about Russian mobsters and decide to go after them next.
Henchman retires.
Fans kill Henchman.
Detective visits Alex and Ash's house.
Writer visits Bald Caller's house.
Fans shoot up Russian skyscraper.
Son kills the Fans.
Detective visits Russian skyscraper.
Detective becomes paranoid.
Former Lt. from Hawaii assassinates US and Russian presidents.
Russia retaliates.

Did the detective's case actually tie into the plot directly? He was investigating the Russian mob I think, but was he trying to link them with Jacket somehow?
It also doesn't explain why everybody was seeing "Jacket" (Or quite possibly Beardsoldier who seemed to be the original chicken mask wearer somehow?) hallucinations, is that explained at all? Something to do with the Son's new product maybe?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Cerebulon posted:

I completely lost track of the dates beside stuff taking place in earlier years, but I think the story fell together fairly well at the end.
Rough chronology from what I gather?: (Massive spoilers obviously)
(snip)

I don't think the dates are really important, as long as you remember that some of this stuff happens several years ago, basically.
I think you're mostly correct, except (more massive spoilers) The fat redneck stuff has to happen before HM1, because you find his body in that game.

Really, I think the best way to think about the story of this game is as a bunch of short stories about different groups of people rather than trying to combine it into one completely cohesive whole.

Trick Question fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 11, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Bald Caller is Richter as well.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I had quite a bit of fun, even if I wasn't the best. I hope to find my stride and take a crack at hard mode this weekend.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Son's last style has a date written on it. What is that?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Regarding Biker, apparently his appearance has something to do with The Writer. A friend told me that he moved into the desert to become a hermit and The Writer contacts him.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Son's last style has a date written on it. What is that?

I believe the day Jacket killed his dad.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 11, 2015

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I think y'all complaining about having to bait with guns all the time etc forgot what the first game felt like before you memorized the levels and got really good.

Power Plant with a sniper rifle is kind of a blast. I can see how losing all the mask options is a little bit of a bummer but I do like how it let them constrain the possibility space just enough to create these levels that are tuned really carefully for the options allowed on them. The path to victory is sometimes really narrow but it's there

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
This is a really good game. It doesn't feel much different from the original HLM, but what I expected was to pull more water from the same well, and I got what I wanted.

They may have made the levels a little harder, but I more or less just went as fast as possible, even when baiting with gunfire or peeking at corners.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So there's a secret after the credits.

"Hotline Miami 3." Maybe it's just a joke.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Efb

Supposedly there's a little easter egg for letting it sit after the credits for a few minutes

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
wow, that stronghold level in chapter 14 is the worst, especially when you find out on floor 5 with the patrolling dudes and no ammo that it take 5 minutes to get to a giant box with 10 bullets and it doesn't matter anyway because the big guys will close the gap before they die if they are close enough, or spray their uzi if they aren't.

that one stealth level in hotline miami was fun but playing nes metal gear with one hit kills is not very fun.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Seems that starting a New Game+ mirrors all the maps, and causes the skyline between levels to be destroyed.

Anyway, I'm with most people here that the game wasn't great but it wasn't bad. I thought the plot was alright, too. Strangely compelling in sort of a 'what the gently caress is going to happen next' sort of way.

e: Also sharing the notion that Reporter's levels are the best.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 11, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Anatharon posted:

So there's a secret after the credits.

"Hotline Miami 3." Maybe it's just a joke.

Here's a picture for those curious.

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530635934374460600/1297CC2D7DB052B26566B5B0E18CE709DEE85382/

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Seems that starting a New Game+ mirrors all the maps, and causes the skyline between levels to be destroyed.

Anyway, I'm with most people here that the game wasn't great but it wasn't bad. I thought the plot was alright, too. Strangely compelling in sort of a 'what the gently caress is going to happen next' sort of way.

That's hard mode... I think.

My problem with the plot is that nobody gets much of any character development. Yeah HLM1 didn't have any but the sequel was supposed to be more focused on the story. Maybe there's some dumb meta commentary about sequels and expectations but if that's the case then it really is ham fisted and weak compared to the first game's musings.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Am I missing something here? Bug?

I'm on the second hawaii mission and I've taken out all of the guys surrounding the body bags in the swimming pool. I can't find anyone else to kill, and the game isn't telling me to go to another map, or to find an item. Is my current game just bugged? Ive been running around firing my gun hoping to scare some enemy out of hiding

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Now that I think about it they never even cover what the deal with Tony's mask is. Was it Jacket's or not? :argh:

As much as I hate retcons if there really is a sequel I hope The Fans are back because they were pretty much the only characters I cared about. Well, Richter was interesting too but he never gets his trademark Uzi.

Maguro posted:

Am I missing something here? Bug?

I'm on the second hawaii mission and I've taken out all of the guys surrounding the body bags in the swimming pool. I can't find anyone else to kill, and the game isn't telling me to go to another map, or to find an item. Is my current game just bugged? Ive been running around firing my gun hoping to scare some enemy out of hiding

Try locking on in random directions, if there's anyone left alive you'll lock to them.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 11, 2015

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Anatharon posted:

Try locking on in random directions, if there's anyone left alive you'll lock to them.

No dice so far. My character can run outside of frame, but I tried locking on to the entire border of the map. Also tried shooting the edges of the map a whole bunch.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Maguro posted:

No dice so far. My character can run outside of frame, but I tried locking on to the entire border of the map. Also tried shooting the edges of the map a whole bunch.

You'll probably have to reset the level, then.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This one guy thinks he's Batman. He doesn't pick up a gun, he dismantles a gun.

Challenging but I like what they were going for here.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Speedball posted:

This one guy thinks he's Batman. He doesn't pick up a gun, he dismantles a gun.

Challenging but I like what they were going for here.

It also counts as a 'kill' for combos. :eng101:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Dear Lord Almighty. Dead Ahead on HARD is un-loving-forgiving. Also, very good recap there Cerebulon.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Without any spoilers, can someone tell me how many levels in total there are in the game? or acts or whatever? I'm on number 20 and I'm kind of curious how long the game goes, since some reviews have said it's much longer than the first game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

turboraton posted:

Dear Lord Almighty. Dead Ahead on HARD is un-loving-forgiving. Also, very good recap there Cerebulon.

Welcome to my pain. :unsmigghh:

Dead Ahead hard tips:

The pistols are silenced but the ground executions are not so be careful about that.

The second and fourth floors are by far the hardest. You can 'hide' in the black behind the screen and while the second's floor gun enemies will target you, the melee enemies rarely will. Try to use that to clear out the main room.

The third floor isn't as bad but it's easier to go in the top entrance. The bottom one has you contend with a thug and no easy access to guns. The top entrance has regular dudes and a few guns.

Make sure to save a pistol and bring it in to the fourth area. It'll make your life much easier if you can clear out the first two little rooms, the patrolling dog, and then wait for the third room's guys to inevitably wander out. Then you just need to worry about ganking a few of the regular guys as they pass. Try to avoid using non-pistols and saving the thugs for last. If you're fast enough, though, you can tag them with a pistol shot and let them bleed out without them noticing.

Corey's floor is probably the worst one in Death Wish, good luck. :tipshat:

the Paper posted:

Without any spoilers, can someone tell me how many levels in total there are in the game? or acts or whatever? I'm on number 20 and I'm kind of curious how long the game goes, since some reviews have said it's much longer than the first game.

25, vs the first game's 21 (More like 19).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh man...

I CAN'T GET THE drat KEYS

:negative:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The complaints about difficulty make me wonder how many people here actually did beat HLM1. Yeah the first few levels you can just zerker rush in about a 1 minute but everything after Hot and Heavy is basically the same deal as HLM2.

I would agree that ramping up to Assualt/Vengence tiers of difficulty in about the 4th chapter is kind of questionable, but everyone is acting like open spaces against shotgunners is something that only opens in Wrong Number which is really, really not true.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The complaints about difficulty make me wonder how many people here actually did beat HLM1. Yeah the first few levels you can just zerker rush in about a 1 minute but everything after Hot and Heavy is basically the same deal as HLM2.

I would agree that ramping up to Assualt/Vengence tiers of difficulty in about the 4th chapter is kind of questionable, but everyone is acting like open spaces against shotgunners is something that only opens in Wrong Number which is really, really not true.

I beat HM1 again a couple days ago, and my biggest problems with the difficulty were that

1. Several levels are loving huge and open, and it's very easy to get sniped by an enemy outside of even your shift-looking range,

2. There's way more levels where you have to worry about layers of windows and enemies, as opposed to only a few levels with sections like that in the original, and

3. They add a few gimmicky/stupid enemy types in the later levels that don't really feel like they fit in with the balance of the game.

I also found doors a little more unreliable in this game, but it might just be that I've played HM1 so much I'm more used to how they worked there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Beat the game. Excited for other people to uncover the game's secrets because I don't care enough to do so. Probably not going to play it again unless there's something cool for doing so.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I've beaten HM1, and I'm sure many other disappointed HM2 players have; it's not a difficult game. I simply think HM2 is a boring Metal Gear spinoff whereas HM1 was Give No Fucks Cocaine Machete Murder Simulator. The level design tries too hard to be cute and ends up being obnoxious. It's like he's trying to slow down YouTube melee speedrunners or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

:agreed:

Most of the complaints I read just seem like people being bad at the game. Like specifically about getting shot from off screen, I just press R and use shift next time, it really hasn't been a problem for me. I get the impression from a lot of goons that they aren't actually into HLM as much as they thought they were.

• Locked thread