Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're really not meant to be sitting in the seat of a dirt bike for any length of time at all. Complaining about the seat comfort is like complaining about lack of luggage space on a GP bike.

I'm sure Suzuki has figured out by now that their decade old bike is used for more than just a quick spin around a dirt track on weekends.

Z3n posted:

Stand on the pegs like a true ADV rider.

I do the Titanic "I'm king of the world!" pose for basically my entire commute.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Next best thing to a bead seat.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

This also makes the universal jackoff symbol* easier to show to idiot drivers.

*dont do this.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Most pain I ever had on a bike was the DRZ gel seat - comfortable for about 10 minutes until you sunk through the gel and sat on the plastics bits of seat. I replaced the seat with an SDG seat - which is probably a bit stiffer than the stock seat - it did fine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

n8r posted:

Most pain I ever had on a bike was the DRZ gel seat - comfortable for about 10 minutes until you sunk through the gel and sat on the plastics bits of seat. I replaced the seat with an SDG seat - which is probably a bit stiffer than the stock seat - it did fine.

Way to humblebrag about how much abuse your rear end can take. :rolleye:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I'm sure Suzuki has figured out by now that their decade old bike is used for more than just a quick spin around a dirt track on weekends.

They have undoubtedly figured it out but fixing it costs money and that money is far better spent on designing new decals because people will buy the bike regardless.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

They have undoubtedly figured it out but fixing it costs money and that money is far better spent on designing new decals because people will buy the bike regardless.

Well yeah, but I still feel totally comfortable mentioning that the seat is torture on a forum for talking about motorcycle stuff. :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

I recommend everyone tries the suzuki gel seat because after a month or so on that, the stock seat feels like a sleep number bed. It is seriously the worst.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I never minded the DRZ stock seat so much. Maybe I have an rear end like Hank Hill.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I just stuck with the stocker after the rear end ruining gel seat

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
What we really need are those Hank Hill rear end prosthetics.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Spiffness posted:

I never minded the DRZ stock seat so much. Maybe I have an rear end like Hank Hill.

It hurt if you were on it for a couple hours without a break. It really hurt if you were making a 4 hour run.

That's about it, really.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I had a Seat Concepts seat on my DRZ all last season. That little bit of extra width made a world of difference.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep. Gonna get a '08 Ulysses with 4800 miles. Probably should be committed. Thing isn't even broken in. The factory tires look new. It doesn't leak yet.

Someone buy my old one. It only leaks a little.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

It doesn't leak yet..

Gotta start somewhere!

Post pics when you get it, I'm morbidly fascinated by this whole thing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I don't think the DRZ seat is necessarily that bad, but how do you manage the vibes for any substantial length of time without your hands falling asleep?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Rest your hands on the tops of the bars, you don't really need to be holding them anyways. Just enough force to overcome the throttle return, or install a vista cruise.

I did Seattle to Santa Barbara in 2 days on a DRZ400SM - my trick was bicycle shorts, ibuprofen, and really, really light on the bars.

Oh, and carrying an extra quart of oil with me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Becktastic rode a DRZ from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego you drat sissies.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Someone buy my old one. It only leaks a little.

What does it taste like?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Becktastic rode a DRZ from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego you drat sissies.

Not straight through though.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

First commute of the year today. A perfectly comfortable 40F, wet roads, dirty from all the nasty salt mud mix, but happy.

It's gonna be okay, y'all. Everything is gonna be okay. :unsmith:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
First commute of the year last Wednesday. 7:30 AM, 28 degrees, scraped ice off DRZ seat and gauges with car scraper. Road covered in salt, some snow and ice, little bit of sand. It's finally summer in Wisconsin. :shepface:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Gotta start somewhere!

Post pics when you get it, I'm morbidly fascinated by this whole thing.

I pick it up tonight.

Current owner's photo:

It's basically new. Original Pirelli Scorpions, even.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those tyres are hosed then :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They feel surprisingly good for 8yo tires but yeah. I have some PR3s on my old one that I guess I'll swap over.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Those tyres are hosed then :v:

I'd put it in the dirt, but I'm retarded so pay no attention to me.

I Interview at a bike shop friday. hooooboy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Temps finally went above zero, and already I see bikes parking around the corner from my office. Toronto last fall started making these "designated motorcycle/scooter parking zones" and one just happens to be where I park for work.

The bad news is that this is a prelude to making us pay for parking when the city switches over from pay&display to some sort of cell phone thing. Eh we'll see what happens. The claim is that charging us for street parking will bring on a whopping $150,000 a year, in a city with a $10 billion operating budget :v: it's already been shown that by exempting motorcycles and scooters from paying for street parking resulted in a massive increase in registrations of these vehicles in the city.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Insurance shopping this eve, since Geico no longer covers Michigan bikeys. I'm too annoyed to research it, but I would guess they're FREEDOM-AVERSE. This time around, I'm actually reading the defs and exclusions.

Collision

Pays for loss to your vehicle when it collides with another object or overturns. Subject to the deductible amount selected.

Common Exclusions: No coverage for damage or loss (1) to a vehicle while being used to carry persons or property for compensation or a fee (except when used for charitable events); (2) resulting from intentional acts, racing, or preparing for a race or stunting activity; or (3) to tapes, compact discs, other media or their carrying cases.

OK, how many of you goons tried to file a claim for your dad's resin-caked Foghat cassettes and put such a high dollar figure on them it spooked Progressive's lawyers and accountants? Is this a problem that needs to be spelled out in a motorcycle policy? Are we spilling CDs all over the highway? Is there some pattern of hipsters crashing while hauling rare Northern Soul 45s?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marv Hushman posted:

Insurance shopping this eve, since Geico no longer covers Michigan bikeys. I'm too annoyed to research it, but I would guess they're FREEDOM-AVERSE. This time around, I'm actually reading the defs and exclusions.

Collision

Pays for loss to your vehicle when it collides with another object or overturns. Subject to the deductible amount selected.

Common Exclusions: No coverage for damage or loss (1) to a vehicle while being used to carry persons or property for compensation or a fee (except when used for charitable events); (2) resulting from intentional acts, racing, or preparing for a race or stunting activity; or (3) to tapes, compact discs, other media or their carrying cases.

OK, how many of you goons tried to file a claim for your dad's resin-caked Foghat cassettes and put such a high dollar figure on them it spooked Progressive's lawyers and accountants? Is this a problem that needs to be spelled out in a motorcycle policy? Are we spilling CDs all over the highway? Is there some pattern of hipsters crashing while hauling rare Northern Soul 45s?

I'd like to know what "other media" is. Does it mean DVDs and VHS, or is it supposed to be all artwork? And if they do meant all artwork, what does that mean for my cafe project GS500. I'm half completed with the mod and it really is a piece of art. I'll let it go for $8500 or trade for a Vincent Black Shadow.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I had a pretty awful commute this morning. At 110km/h the master link on my chain came apart and it lead the rest off of the rear sprocket. With a big bang the sudden extra slack wrapped around the front sprocket stalling the motor and blowing the cover and clutch mechanism apart. Half the bolts are snapped off inside.

The chain is 2 weeks old, well lubed and I took extra care when I did that link up so this exact thing hopefully wouldn't happen. Every few links in that chain are stiff and one took a vice to loosen up from the 90 degree angle it was seized at.

My day loving sucked. Don't buy cheap chains.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chain failure being scary and dangerous as gently caress is the #1 reason I would want a belt/shaft bike.

Also why I don't do chain swaps myself, because I don't trust myself not to gently caress it up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FluffyDice posted:

I had a pretty awful commute this morning. At 110km/h the master link on my chain came apart and it lead the rest off of the rear sprocket. With a big bang the sudden extra slack wrapped around the front sprocket stalling the motor and blowing the cover and clutch mechanism apart. Half the bolts are snapped off inside.

The chain is 2 weeks old, well lubed and I took extra care when I did that link up so this exact thing hopefully wouldn't happen. Every few links in that chain are stiff and one took a vice to loosen up from the 90 degree angle it was seized at.

Hope you put the master link clip on the right way around :ohdear:

Collateral Damage posted:

Chain failure being scary and dangerous as gently caress is the #1 reason I would want a belt/shaft bike.

Also why I don't do chain swaps myself, because I don't trust myself not to gently caress it up.

I worry about falling over/crashing into another vehicle like a billion trillion times more than exploding chain. And I've ridden some bikes with loving munted chains.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Well I've just ordered a new chain and cover. What is the right way to put the clip on so I don't gently caress this one up?

edit: also any pointers for removing snapped off bolts?

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 12, 2015

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

FluffyDice posted:

Well I've just ordered a new chain and cover. What is the right way to put the clip on so I don't gently caress this one up?

http://support.electricscooterparts.com/support/articles/1000121365-chain-master-link-installation-guide

as for the stuck bolt, patience and pray.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

FluffyDice posted:

The best way to put the clip style link on is to pick it up and throw it in the trash. You'd be a fool to use a clip style again after you just went through the exact reason people don't recommend them. Buy or borrow a rivet tool and grab a rivet style master link for like 3 dollars. Take it to a shop if you really don't feel comfortable / trust yourself installing it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Chichevache posted:

I'd like to know what "other media" is. Does it mean DVDs and VHS, or is it supposed to be all artwork? And if they do meant all artwork, what does that mean for my cafe project GS500. I'm half completed with the mod and it really is a piece of art. I'll let it go for $8500 or trade for a Vincent Black Shadow.

That is an interesting angle: mobile mixed media art installation. Interestingly, they provide $3000 of accessory coverage free, and it can't be de-selected to reduce the premium. Yet they're worried about a CD wallet, apparently.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

FluffyDice posted:

YUP.

This fucker had a knack for killing masterlinks. eventually riveted the fucker and never had another issue.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

FluffyDice posted:

I've learned from experience that broken bolt removal is more than worth the 6 pack of beer you can usually pay a local machine shop technician to do it properly.

Cheaper than the hardened steel ez-out you will inevitably snap off trying to get it out yourself (which in turn makes the removal of that mess a 12-pack job).

There are some pranksters on this forum who show pictures of bolts they have supposedly EZ-outed with no problems, don't believe their lies.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Clip style links are fine for low power bikes if you install them properly. I'd be more focused on why every third link was stiff on a new chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Baller Witness Bro posted:

The best way to put the clip style link on is to pick it up and throw it in the trash. You'd be a fool to use a clip style again after you just went through the exact reason people don't recommend them. Buy or borrow a rivet tool and grab a rivet style master link for like 3 dollars. Take it to a shop if you really don't feel comfortable / trust yourself installing it.

The last chain I installed had a screw type master link http://www.oppracing.com/product_display/5504-ek-screw-type-master-link-for-mvxz-chains-520-pitch/ . It's a little weird, but seems effective. (Slightly more detail on this page http://www.ekchain.jp/feature/)