Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The hotel refuses to put in proper refrigeration, so they fill an old hot well with ice 3 times a day. It may be the most mismanaged property in the company, but has almost 100% occupancy year round, so nobody in corporate seems to care.
wouldn't that cost more? Ice/the energy to make more ice would be more expensive in the long run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

bowmore posted:

wouldn't that cost more? Ice/the energy to make more ice would be more expensive in the long run

And I pointed that out multiple times. The upper management at that place just doesn't care.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

And I pointed that out multiple times. The upper management at that place just doesn't care.
Well it's hard to fix "not giving a gently caress"

not sure how many times I've run into that in my working life, it's depressing

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CommonShore posted:

I had a regular customer once who wanted his steaks well done to the max. He was never happy until one time, out of spite, we microwaved and deep fried his steak before throwing it on the char broiler. He never found out what we did, but he asked us to do it like that every time, so we did.

Add it to the menu, call it "The Atrocity."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Republicans posted:

A dude in my school's baking program did that too. He managed to drag his molten caramel-covered finger across the side of his mouth when he realized this was too hot to put in it so he ended up with kind of a glasgow half-smile scar on his cheek and one gnarly finger.

I have those scars on my wrists from flipping hotel pans full of caramel rolls and getting splashed with 375 degree honey brown sugar caramel. That half inch between the cuffs of the jacket and the bottom of my heat pads was apparently incredibly attractive to molten sugar.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We spent about 7 hours making Mediterranean lamb chili for our chef's chili cookoff and it burned in the last 10 minutes. I was so certain I was getting canned for it. Next morning "chili" was on the prep list, my sous had stayed and made more, and it was joke status. Moral of the story is I loving love this industry.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Willie Tomg posted:

Was going through my phone just now while telling stories and came across this gem: I got a pan seared salmon order (side spinach only, hes watching his figure) sent back because it wasn't "well done enough" except it *was* well done. It was too well done but whatever I remake it and gently caress that fish up, burn it so hard that the sear doesn't have any texture beneath the slimy smutty layer of albumen so thick I may as well have whipped out my dick and jizzed on it. That got sent back too. So we flip poo poo, and put our heads together on how to deal with this because now we're getting creative while being loving pissed off. We take ANOTHER entree portion and microwave it for four minutes, then we cover it in oil and throw it on the grill to bask in a mighty flareup for three minutes a side, then we finish it under a loving creme brulee torch. It is the only time in my career I have purposely hosed with a customer's meal because of emotions. It looked like this going out:

Homie sneers at the server that it took three tries to get salmon "right"

If you wrote a book I would buy copies for myself, my family and the friends I care about. Maybe even the ones I don't.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

"Professional Kitchen"

My prep space at Panera loving Bread is larger than this kitchen.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

infiniteguest posted:

What is going on with the 9th pans behind that counter? Some of them are just partially wrapped and on ice? Is that asparagus jammed in the ice?

Hey. Hey. Hey, listen, you can't just throw money into the trash everytime you get some wild fine-dining coastal elitist whimsy like "lets serve product that has definitely been refrigerated at safe temps until its fired." That kinda thinking is profoundly untexas. If it worked yesterday, it'll work today and continue to work tomorrow, and as long as its not failing in the most catastrophic of all possible ways, its working. Now stop whining. And the asparagus is in a six pan in the ice just FYI. We're not savages, here.

We actually got walked through by the health department a few days back and came within a cunthair of being shut down on the spot. We got fifteen points off for not having a handwash sink at the omlette bar out front (:wtc:!!!!???!?!?!!) and a handful of points for dangerous temps on the hot-held food, and a bunch of points because the inspector insisted that seven day marking meant a six day shelf life since the day the product was put by didn't count--to the point of an all-but screaming argument with the F&B director. Guess who won the argument. We were 2 points north of having to shut the doors indefinitely, as it is we have 7-10 days to get our poo poo together. The hotel owner was briefed as I came on for the afternoon and was chuckling, blousy-faced, and sanguine. Oh, those scamps in the kitchen. What'll those boys get up to this week? At no point was refrigeration mentioned by anyone, even though the walk ins were running a touch hot.

And maybe its because I was fussing over one of the dozen oil-free sauteed proteins I'd have to do that night on account of South by Southwest checkins (bless your heart, inventor of the paper towel) but I realized in that moment that I wasn't a cook, really, because nothing of what I do is anything more than a signifier in a Saussurian sense. I put on some chef clothes as is culinary ritual, throw the asparagus on ice for lack of a better place to put it, and cook food for people who either don't like food or are performing an Opus Dei style catholic pennance on their gut but in either case order it because its dinner time and thats supposed to be what you do. I wear a symbolic coat to cook symbolic food to be sparsely picked at by symbolic customers who probably don't even exist except as figments of a fevered imagination. And y'know what? It's kinda neat, because when nothing matters you can do anything you goddamn please. Cook whatever, use whatever, say whatever, because its me and 170 degree midrare steak guy (who, for all my quibbles, is showing some loving admirable leadership right now) carrying the entire second half of the day on our backs. Its extremely liberating even though freedom ain't worth a whole lot when everything else is unbelievably hosed up.

I could walk in twenty minutes late tomorrow, pants around ankles, a Big Boy up my rear end, cock and balls pulled taut strumming them like a ukulele as musical accompaniment to my off-key rendition of Liz Phair's whitechocolatespaceegg and as long as nobody records the poo poo to show the GM and offend his delicate goddamned sensibilities it'd just be another Tuesday. We can't afford a tighter discipline than that. We can't even afford refrigeration.

And I can't afford to stay.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
live video of me trying to keep a lid on SXSW service with the staff we got: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9dzLxLvxc

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 10, 2015

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Goddammit, I am so sorry you work in Austin. At least we don't have to deal with tourists in Houston. Or giving a poo poo about people with money. Or anything at all. You want real food in this town you go down the street to the restaurant owned by immigrants that don't give a poo poo if you like their food.

I just did a "power breakfast" for a 90+ politicians, their wives and scientists from NASA and the only note we had before service was "make sure the mimosas never run out". I made enough shirred eggs to kill an army and had to deal with multiple glutenevil bitches, but that was the worst of it. I'm starting to think all the chefs that crap on breakfast service are assholes that don't like an easy day at work.

I was also drunk by 7am, but I blame the bartender.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Your bartender is a Good Person and deserves a good solid someday soon.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Your bartender is a Good Person and deserves a good solid someday soon.

Good dick joke, 10/10

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

fizzymercy posted:

I'm starting to think all the chefs that crap on breakfast service are assholes that don't like an easy day at work.

Breakfast/brunch is fine and awesome until it's not and then you're making hollandaise on the fly with a full board and a yolk breaks in your poaching pot and you run out of baked bread and are slicing peameal to order and Old Miss Suzy Shitsherpants is allergic to salt.

I do breakfast a couple days a week at my place and do a 2-person brunch service every Sunday where we flip our entire restaurant over at least 4-5 times and I love those services until poo poo goes bad because then it goes AWFUL.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah pretty much. Brunch/breakfast can get so hilariously crazy in the poo poo so fast. It doesn't help that something about brunchfast seems to bring out the worst/pickiest in people. By far the most mods and head-scratching requests you'll see of any service.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I love FoH breakfast service in a popular joint

it's the busiest most insane service can get besides a nightclub and it owns and I have my afternoons off

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Austin, eh? I have currently in my fridge: torchy's hot sauce, many flavors of deep eddy (love the grapefruit).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Turkeybone posted:

Austin, eh? I have currently in my fridge: torchy's hot sauce, many flavors of deep eddy (love the grapefruit).

No Tito's or El Milagro, GTFO

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thoht posted:

Yeah pretty much. Brunch/breakfast can get so hilariously crazy in the poo poo so fast. It doesn't help that something about brunchfast seems to bring out the worst/pickiest in people. By far the most mods and head-scratching requests you'll see of any service.

Sure, I'll make your egg white omlette with no oil! Just bring me your own personal pan you don't mind never using again and sign this waiver saying you're willing to settle for frittata.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uuuuuuuuuuggggggghhh, those are the absolute worst. Especially when they want ham and bacon in it too. Because egg whites are healthy, therefore

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
That's when I go, "Enjoy your scrambled egg whites!" as I plate it for them.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My boss at the greek/italian place I used to work at had a real hard-on for starting a breakfast menu. He didn't want to open early for breakfast, mind you. He just wanted to offer it during lunch hours.

All because I made him a breakfast gyro one morning.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Republicans posted:

My boss at the greek/italian place I used to work at had a real hard-on for starting a breakfast menu. He didn't want to open early for breakfast, mind you. He just wanted to offer it during lunch hours.

All because I made him a breakfast gyro one morning.

The breakfast gyro is the ultimate evolution of greek cuisine, so I can't really blame him.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Alright men I need to make some drat money this weekend. My lunch shifts have been dog shot and I've been blowing all my earnings trying to chase tail around the city and spending tons of money on Uber rides home.

Time to get down to brass tax and make loot to spend on bills. Here's to my 40 hour work weekend coming up!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is the brass tax high where you live?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Can't find a strumpet, gotta play trumpet.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
What about that poor dog?!?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hello fellow kitchen goons. I finally got my transfer- new store, new city, new home. Same company but its different like night and day.

On the bad side, I now work with one of the meanest, rudest old-school cooks I've ever met. Been a manager for longer than I've been alive, now works as an hourly and takes the Paula Deen approach to making cobbler - if it isn't the consistency of Campbell's potato soup, add more butter. I wish I were exaggerating. Doesn't stop her from speaking as if she were the instrument of God Himself. Seriously so much butter I thought about getting some cardiologists' business cards and asking the cashier's to hand them out with cobbler orders.

I'm now privy to a lot of what is and has been going on above the store level in the company and it's not good. I could write a short book but I don't know I could make it nearly as entertaining as tragic so yeah. If y'all read the BFC corporate thread, it's like Sundae's place but with food instead of pills.

On the plus side, I get 40 hours a week in 4 1/2 days, soon to be 4. Sundays are always off for me, and I'm experiencing new things like being able to take a weekend off and not lose half of my weekly income, or working in a building where the AC unit is actually rated to handle more than 1/2 of the actual square footage it's servicing. I can bust my butt, and if we do get super busy and a customer has to wait more than 60 seconds for their $10 sandwich while I'm doing a two-man job I don't have to hear about how much I suck or how little I care about my job. I have gone two months without a manager telling me to STFU or otherwise cursing at me, which is roughly seven weeks and six days longer than I ever managed at my previous store. I'm also no longer responsible for the failures of peers whose actions I have no control over, and I'm now certified to train new hires to do the positions I work which means that not only do I have a hand in making things run smoothly, my efforts and skills are appreciated and I have more value to the company which means more money for me.

In short, I absolutely hate this industry and cannot wait to get a degree but this store makes me actually proud to be there. Amazing how being treated like a human being can affect a person's attitude towards their work.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
The owner of the diner i work at left for the weekend and won't be back for a few days, so of course we're super busy and everyone wants to be a gently caress up. On the plus I think I've achieved a level of frustration so pure that I've pass through the other side and achieved nirvana.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Rage is power.

Well-banked deep fury is galvanizing motivation that is always to hand and requires no reaching, no digging.

A very angry person, under control, is extraordinarily productive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Splizwarf posted:

Rage is power.

Well-banked deep fury is galvanizing motivation that is always to hand and requires no reaching, no digging.

A very angry person, under control, is extraordinarily productive.

Zen and the Art of Being The Hulk

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, is there an easy way to peel a ton of raw shrimp?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

bunnielab posted:

Make someone else do it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
M

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Make someone else do it.

My girlfriend wants more then $10 an hour. :(

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

bunnielab posted:

My girlfriend wants more then $10 an hour. :(

replaceable unskilled labor strikes again :argh:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Be really good at it, or hire someone who is. Alternatively, buy PUDs.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
We did 400+ on Friday and 500+ on saturday. Probably new records for us. I love being the anchor at the bar. I was expo for some gnarly months in the back and now I loving love expoing and bartending. Printer busting non stop, 8 bridesmaids at the bar before dinner, glass breaks in the well, gently caress it that's the life
E: ran out of backups for our backups - limes, basil, mint, muddled berries, blueberry shrub, strawberry puree, god I love being in the weeds and finding oxygen

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 17, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Be really good at it, or hire someone who is. Alternatively, buy PUDs.

What's a PUD?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bunnielab posted:

What's a PUD?

Peeled Undeveined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Peeled Undeveined

I don't know if I've ever seen such a thing for sale. My only recollection of seeing peeled shrimp are those sad little frozen ones you buy at the big bags.

• Locked thread