Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Warcraft 3?

I don't think that's a fair comparison really. The WC3 campaigns are already top tier RTS campaigns and none of the custom maps really emulated that kind of experience.

E: Uh, hm. So I mentioned that procedural 6DOF game a while back, and apparently now Descent proper is back... as a MOBA... lead by a guy whose two major game credits are Wing Commander 4 (a bad game) and exec producer on Star Citizen (a game that doesn't exist.) Goodbye Descent, you were to good for this dark world.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Orv posted:

I don't think that's a fair comparison really. The WC3 campaigns are already top tier RTS campaigns and none of the custom maps really emulated that kind of experience.

It's not if your argument is 'were the games produced by the level editor/mods better than the base game', but in terms of extending a game's lifespan the WC3 map editor is king

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Orv posted:

E: Uh, hm. So I mentioned that procedural 6DOF game a while back, and apparently now Descent proper is back... as a MOBA... lead by a guy whose two major game credits are Wing Commander 4 (a bad game) and exec producer on Star Citizen (a game that doesn't exist.) Goodbye Descent, you were to good for this dark world.

What was wrong with wing commander 4? I thought prophecy was the bad one

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What was wrong with wing commander 4? I thought prophecy was the bad one

Malcom McDowell was only on screen for about half of it. :colbert:

Nothing major, I just wasn't a huge fan of it at the time, who knows what I'd think now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I always preferred Freespace anyway.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I finally got every achievement in Everyday Genius: Square Logic. I'm free!

What is your total playtime?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Koburn posted:

What is your total playtime?

150 hours, though some of that is time I accidentally spent alt-tabbed out or when I left the game running while grabbing food, etc since I tend to use it as a podcast game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ori and the Blind Forest looks really gorgeous:

It also seems from the trailer that the character animations are amazing. Has anybody played it?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Circling back around to earlier discussion, I think I just found the perfect metaphor for Arkham Origins vs. the other games: an entire sidequest rewarded me with nothing but a) an ability that is only going to be of use in very specific arenas throughout the game, so it may as well be useless, and b) a bunch of blind-box unlocks for the deader-than-Martha-Wayne multiplayer mode.

If that doesn't sum up just how loving slapdash a lot of this stuff is, I don't know what will.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Played through a good deal of Hotline Miami 2, and I can't for the balls of me figure out what the gently caress is going on with the plot. Who is who? Why am I the Mafia? Why am I a soldier? Who is pig man? Why did Dixie man never get a tattoo?

AAAAAA

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Hello,

A friend and I were sitting in front of my PC yesterday, trying to play a game of Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, and we never got it to run. I bought it quite a while ago and it is not pirated so I don't know what is going on. It keeps asking me for Games For Windows Live account info? I click on "forgot password" and receive an error. Is there any way to play this game? I am not trying to be a smart-rear end but is this one of those things where the pirates have no problems playing but the legit buyers do? I haven't had any similar problems with other games that I can recall (except GTA IV I think but I eventually got it to play eventually). Is there some sort of patch to get rid of this, or am I simply doing something wrong? I don't use my PC that much to play games so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I just wanted to do some 13-hit combos with Robot Smoke on my friend until he cried and XBox Live delisted UMK3 . Thank you!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Palpek posted:

Ori and the Blind Forest looks really gorgeous:
It also seems from the trailer that the character animations are amazing. Has anybody played it?

Giant Bomb has a quick look that I'm watching right now: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ori-and-the-blind-forest/2300-10005/

And it's reeeeeally making me want to buy the game. I'm just worried that it won't run on my laptop. Even though it doesn't seem to be full of intense 3D effects you never know how these games are rendered in the background, or how well they're optimized.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Ori does look like the kind of game I'd enjoy but there are so many good games coming out right now that I just don't have the time for everything and I'm afraid of more things falling into my backlog. Pillars of Eternity is right behind the corner too and that's bound to eat my gaming time for a good while.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just popping in to say that I've been peen playing Defense Grid 2 on Steam, it's amazing, and if you like tower defense games of any sort, you need to play this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Somebody make a rundown of interesting games coming out in March please.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Games For Windows Live

There's your problem. Don't know what black arts you'll need to turn to in order to fix whatever random problem its decided to give you this time though. Try uninstalling GFWL and installing the latest version first.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

Somebody make a rundown of interesting games coming out in March please.
Having a quick browse of Steam's coming soon category and various release lists...

Sid Meier's Starships (March 12): Another one of Sid's smaller-scale tablet-friendly projects, set in the same universe as Beyond Earth, involving exploring the galaxy in a fleet of spacecraft.
Battlefield Hardline (March 17): With all the betas and such that have gone off, you already know whether you want this or not.
Blade Kitten Episode 2 (March 17): lol just kitting only that one weirdo wants this
Infinite Crisis (March 26): An F2P DC Comics-themed MOBA by Turbine, the developers of Asheron's Call series and LOTR Online. I'm sure combining MOBA players and DC readers will result in a friendly, utopian community unlike any seen before.
Pillars of Eternity (March 26): Some throwback CRPG, I dunno, but Obsidian's making it so I fully expect "More like Jeff GIRTHMAN!!!!!"-level meltdowns from that studio's creepy-rear end fanbase the moment a reviewer doesn't give it a perfect score (it will not get a perfect score but i guess it'll probably be decent)
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (March 30): A fighting game where even the fighting game community thinks the blatant T&A's a bit much. Console version was rife with technical issues. Online multiplayer will be patched in after release.
Glorkian Warrior: The Trials of Glork (March): A kickstarted Galaga-inspired platform-arcade thing by the developers of Potatoman Seeks The Troof and American Elf/Superf*ckers cartoonist James Kochalka. At least it's not pixel art!
Gratuitous Space Battles 2 (March): Build spaceships, send them out to fight other spaceships, watch them explode into dust. Except with more stuff and a rewritten engine.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

The Kins posted:

Blade Kitten Episode 2 (March 17): lol just kitting only that one weirdo wants this

Um, actually, i want it too. I like the cat pun, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

Having a quick browse of Steam's coming soon category and various release lists...

Infinite Crisis (March 26): An F2P DC Comics-themed MOBA by Turbine, the developers of Asheron's Call series and LOTR Online. I'm sure combining MOBA players and DC readers will result in a friendly, utopian community unlike any seen before.

Friendly warning, if for some reason you like MOBAs and haven't tried Infinite Crisis, don't. If that somehow triggers a thought in someones not-MOBA-loving brain that "Well if MOBA-likers hate it it must be doing some things different!", it doesn't. It just does them badly.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Freak Futanari posted:

Um, actually, i want it too. I like the cat pun, though.

High five, buddy. (Although I think I'm "that one weirdo".)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Kins posted:

Battlefield Hardline (March 17): With all the betas and such that have gone off, you already know whether you want this or not.

An EA game on Steam? What's this? 2010?

e: oh nvm, it isn't. You were listing releases in general and not just Steam's.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Blade kitten is a cat pun?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

An EA game on Steam? What's this? 2010?
This thread's basically the PC Gaming thread nowadays, and I see people post the occasional Origin deal or freebie here, so...

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Well, beyond Way of the Samurai 4, Pillars of Eternity and that one Sid Meier game coming out, I hadn't looked at the coming soon stuff so here's the stuff that stood out to me.

-Ironcast: Puzzle quest looking thing with mechs instead of fantasy warriors. Looks interesting.
-Warlocks: Seems like Risk of Rain with more detailed sprites and a fantasy setting? EA, but supposedly as a polished beta test rather than a funding drive.
-StarCrawlers: I've actually played this a little at a dumb big noisy gaming convention, but it seems like it has the potential to be fun. It's basically Grimrock that segues into turn based battles when you collide with the monsters, and you have the potential to avoid fights/puzzle them away. Note: EA and Kickstarter.
-Spirit of War: Fairly simple looking WWI strategy game that visually reminds me of those TBS war games for DS for some reason. The missions seem to be interspersed with an audio book from some French historian or something?

~JANK~
-Reign of Kings Another badly textured and modeled open world Minecraft wank. Notable for loincloths and being able to throw NPCs into the stocks.
-FACTIONS: Subtitle: appears to be a weird sci-fi romp with uncanny as hell human models and bug lizard men running around charging up Goku style?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (March 30): A fighting game where even the fighting game community thinks the blatant T&A's a bit much. Console version was rife with technical issues. Online multiplayer will be patched in after release.

Most of the technical issues are only on the Xbox One version actually. PS4 version especially is supposed to be nearly flawless.

It's still horribly blatant fan service over a decent fighting game though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Kins posted:

This thread's basically the PC Gaming thread nowadays, and I see people post the occasional Origin deal or freebie here, so...

Yeah, I figured in the end. I kind of hoped EA had finally stopped with making their games exclusive to their (poo poo) service only and moved on past it. Good games like that Plants vs Zombies FPS (that had no right being good considering the premise) ended up completely ignored because there's no healthy playerbase using their platform to support a multiplayer game. Nobody noticed Crysis 3 or Dead Space 3 either, and I think they keep trying to give away Titanfall several times in hopes of grabbing... anyone at all, I guess.

Better keep on killing their studios, instead. A much more sound business direction surely.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 11, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Blade kitten is a cat pun?

He said "just kitting". Although i guess just kitten would have been better.

Orv
May 4, 2011

rargphlam posted:

-Warlocks: Seems like Risk of Rain with more detailed sprites and a fantasy setting? EA, but supposedly as a polished beta test rather than a funding drive.

:frogon:

rargphlam posted:

~JANK~
-Reign of Kings Another badly textured and modeled open world Minecraft wank. Notable for loincloths and being able to throw NPCs into the stocks.

Made by the Starforge guys, so I'm sure it'll turn out swell.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Blade Kitten is legit good as long as you turn off the god awful voice acting.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Junkenstein posted:

There's your problem. Don't know what black arts you'll need to turn to in order to fix whatever random problem its decided to give you this time though. Try uninstalling GFWL and installing the latest version first.

I uninstalled GFWL and then the game wouldn't even try to start up when I clicked "play". :cripes:

I downloaded a newer (I assume) GFWL client and put my username and password in and it gave an odd error message. So I created a new Live account and now it gives me a different error message even though I can sign into the Microsoft Live website just fine with it.

I give up but thank you anyway.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

I uninstalled GFWL and then the game wouldn't even try to start up when I clicked "play". :cripes:

I downloaded a newer (I assume) GFWL client and put my username and password in and it gave an odd error message. So I created a new Live account and now it gives me a different error message even though I can sign into the Microsoft Live website just fine with it.

I give up but thank you anyway.

GFW Live doesn't exist anymore, you literally have to crack it to play it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Amppelix posted:

Giant Bomb has a quick look that I'm watching right now: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ori-and-the-blind-forest/2300-10005/

And it's reeeeeally making me want to buy the game. I'm just worried that it won't run on my laptop. Even though it doesn't seem to be full of intense 3D effects you never know how these games are rendered in the background, or how well they're optimized.

Wow. I absolutely suck at these kinds of games, and I want it. :ohdear:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
That is one ridiculously pretty game.

GFWL is still up. The marketplace was shut down in 2013 but nothing else was. Those rumors about it closing were just rumors. Getting weird errors from it is just business as usual.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Kins posted:

Thanks, that's a good list, I was still hoping there's something big AAA+ coming but I guess all of them have been postponed.

Tippis posted:

Wow. I absolutely suck at these kinds of games, and I want it. :ohdear:
It has this Disney-like quality to animations and that's something that really stands out in the genre.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

I saw the kickstarter page for this; burn it with fire.

The Kins posted:

Mixed this up with Incredible Crisis when I read this at first, disappointed that it wasn't it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

theultimo posted:

GFW Live doesn't exist anymore, you literally have to crack it to play it.

Awesome :thumbsup:

I'd file a chargeback out of principle if it didn't mean Gaben would banish me from the rest of my games (so I've read).

Why do they still sell it in the Steam store? :psyduck:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Awesome :thumbsup:

I'd file a chargeback out of principle if it didn't mean Gaben would banish me from the rest of my games (so I've read).

Ask for a refund via support explaining how it doesn't work and you'll get it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

Ask for a refund via support explaining how it doesn't work and you'll get it.

Thank you. I didn't even know that was an option. Appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

I have no idea, and I seem to recall having the same problems as you had with it. It would be nice if Steam tried to clean up a little; one thing is the subjective quality of games being accepted, but games not working at all or having you jump through hoops like this, shouldn't be sold in the first place.

• Locked thread