Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Accordion Man posted:

Yoko Taro feeds off your impotent anger, it sustains him.

There are 8 notes, i press the button 8 times in time with the music but still I fail. Why???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

Yoko Taro feeds off your impotent anger, it sustains him.

It's really quite amazing how thoughtful and intelligent and modest he comes off as in interviews too. You almost forget that even the shounen manga based on his work has pedophile Ed Gein in it :allears:

Christ that sentence was a lot less grim in my head :gonk:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

It's really quite amazing how thoughtful and intelligent and modest he comes off as in interviews too. You almost forget that even the shounen manga based on his work has pedophile Ed Gein in it :allears:

Christ that sentence was a lot less grim in my head :gonk:

He said at one point he doesn't want to make really grim games, just games he thinks people will find interesting. :v:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So, question for those that have finished both Nier and Drakengard 3. Are Devola and Popola recorders like the one in Drakengard 3? I think they may even have the same voice actress. And if so, what does this imply?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Anatharon posted:

He said at one point he doesn't want to make really grim games, just games he thinks people will find interesting. :v:

If only he could make them fun :v:
I kid, I kid. You know what you're getting into with a Cavia/ex-Cavia game.

It's a good point; no-one can say that their original games are forgettable. Even if only because you're :stare:, :smith:, or :gonk: for a large majority of it. They may be tedious, or shoddily put together, but they keep with you.

Brackhar posted:

So, question for those that have finished both Nier and Drakengard 3. Are Devola and Popola recorders like the one in Drakengard 3? I think they may even have the same voice actress. And if so, what does this imply?

Think of it as the Accords being what would happen if the world of Nier was never affected by Maso, the shades, or the Legion, and had instead carried on as normal, but with the knowledge that poo poo was going down in other branches/universes/whatever. Humanity made them to try to stop poo poo like the Flower, but had themselves not been affected by them in that particular branch. At least, that's my understanding.

Yeah, they share the same VA, it's pretty cool foreshadowing of a sorts.

---
Regarding difficulties with the final boss: here's the notation from the guide book, if it's of any use.

The text is:
♩=ボタンを1分拍ぶん押す, ♪=ボタンを2分の1拍ぶん押す, ♫=ボタンを2分の1拍ぶん2回押す, — =拍休み, ● =, 2分の1拍ぶん休み, ■ = その節はすべて休み

Unfortunately, I, er, can't quite make it out properly. :shobon:
Best I can gather;
♩ = one ring, timed to a single beat of the current tempo, ♪ = (?), ♫ = two rings by half-a-beat? — = a pause, ● = This only appears around "♪"; is that half-a-beat? ■ = No notes.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Can't remember if this has been posted before. Could be of interest to people that understand Japanese, not sure if it will come out in English. It seems like it will cover things like the origin of pacts, disciples, the cult of the watchers etc. but I can only figure out half of it. Could also cover a new route? May as well note its existence anyway.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/dod3/storyside/index.html

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you thought we'd seen the last of Taro Yoko for awhile, think again.

Anime News Network, The Internet's Most Trusted Anime News Source posted:

The official Twitter account for Square Enix's Big Gangan magazine announced on Tuesday that Daisuke Moriyama and Tarō Yokō will collaborate on a new manga series titled Kimi Shi ni Tamafu Koto Nakare (You Must Not Give Yourself to Death) on December 25 in the January 2015 issue.

Moriyama will provide the art, and Yokō will write the story for the "ultimately twisted, dark battle-action" manga, and a prologue "Chapter 0" will be published in the September issue of the magazine, which is scheduled to be released on October 25. Chinatsu Kurahana (Uta no Prince Sama) is credited as designing the uniforms for the manga.

Daisuke Moriyama created the manga Chrono Crusade, and Gonzo adapted the series into a television anime in 2003. Funimation licensed and released the anime in North America. Moriyama's original manga is currently unlicensed in North America after the closure of ADV Manga.

Yokō is the director of the Drakengard (Drag-on Dragoon) series, and was also in charge of the game Nier. Drakengard 3 was released in Japan last December, and in May in North America and Europe.
Surely nothing ill could come of this.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

neat. i'm going to be looking forward to it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
"Ultimately twisted, dark battle action"? Yeah, that sounds like a Yoko Taro gig.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Anyone know anything about the non Utahime Five manga? A friend happened by a place selling them apparently, and if it's not as creepy as U5 I might get it for the novelty. :v:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Anyone know anything about the non Utahime Five manga? A friend happened by a place selling them apparently, and if it's not as creepy as U5 I might get it for the novelty. :v:

It's horse poo poo. Like, not even the funny bad of the games, it's just horse poo poo. I legit can't think of a single good thing to say about it.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Hey! Long time no post!

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find scans of the World of Drakengard book that came with the Japanese 10th Anniversary Special Edition box? Specifically, scans of the short stories... or, even more specifically than that, the story Prometheus' Flame, which I'd meant to translate before getting sidetracked by a new job/move/life events. Since I sold my own box during a broke period, I don't have a copy of the book anymore, and my own searches are just bringing up scans of the artwork in the book and not the text. Thanks a lot to anyone who can steer me in the right direction!

Oh yeah, and I hear Yokoo is hard at work on a new game? I wonder what he has in store for us this time...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

[...] the story Prometheus' Flame, [...]
;)

Linked in the test poster, coz they're HUGE.
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21336

While I'm at it; some scans of BroNier and (previously unseen concept art of) Dadass.

And the mock Drakengard 4 characters;

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 23, 2014

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Thank you! Somehow I had a feeling you'd come through for me, Pesky Splinter. :)

On the topic of translations, has someone already covered all the Drakengard 1.3 stuff? That was something I was interested in, but if it's already been translated adequately, I wouldn't want to waste the effort.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dazat posted:

Thank you! Somehow I had a feeling you'd come through for me, Pesky Splinter. :)

On the topic of translations, has someone already covered all the Drakengard 1.3 stuff? That was something I was interested in, but if it's already been translated adequately, I wouldn't want to waste the effort.

iirc it's what I asked about

Flytrap posted:

It's horse poo poo. Like, not even the funny bad of the games, it's just horse poo poo. I legit can't think of a single good thing to say about it.

if so he is right.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

No problem.

AFAIK, only a synopsis of their stories, and a half-done version of one of the stories.
Here's the scan link, if you want.

Anatharon posted:

iirc it's what I asked about

Nah, Drakengard 1.3 is a different thing - basically a what if? bunch of stories following on from Drakengard 1. Utahime 5 is the poo poo magical girls manga thing, not to be confused with the other poo poo rape-tastic Drakengard manga with the rapist elf and Brother One.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 24, 2014

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

;)

Linked in the test poster, coz they're HUGE.
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21336

While I'm at it; some scans of BroNier and (previously unseen concept art of) Dadass.

Hallelujah. Hallelujah. Hallelujah. Hallelujah.

Hallelujah.

e:

quote:

Nah, Drakengard 1.3 is a different thing - basically a what if? bunch of stories following on from Drakengard 1. Utahime 5 is the poo poo magical girls manga thing, not to be confused with the other poo poo rape-tastic Drakengard manga with the rapist elf and Brother One.
On the plus side, it's an interesting look at certain topics:
ie: Where the disciples(or idea of them) originally came from and why the people love the intoners and worship them as gods. Also, surprise cameo appearance from the best(or worst) character in the form of Dennis Nedry.

Otherwise, it's a Gantz-level gorefest in Drakengard world.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 12, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Still holding out for this to be made, or something like it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That and the high school dating sim.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Still holding out for this to be made, or something like it.

What would Drakengard 4 even add? Other than a new setting.

Well, maybe that'd be enough. I dunno.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, is there a place I can buy this for $20 or less? Amazon and Best Buy have it for $21 but no free shipping so it would go to $25 or more easily.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, is there a place I can buy this for $20 or less? Amazon and Best Buy have it for $21 but no free shipping so it would go to $25 or more easily.

It is on sale on the PSN for $20 as we speak.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It is on sale on the PSN for $20 as we speak.
Has the DLC ever gone on sale? I picked up Two's Prologue and enjoyed it, but $5 a pop feels a bit steep for content I feel should have honestly already been included in the core game.

Almost bit the bullet to get Three's cause I like Octa so much, but hers is apparently the least fun to play?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Goddamn, I hadn't seen all the DLC for this game. An additional $30 to get all the story? Beh, I'll pass on the whole thing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

She's perfect for the main character.

Saoshyant posted:

Goddamn, I hadn't seen all the DLC for this game. An additional $30 to get all the story? Beh, I'll pass on the whole thing.

It really doesn't add much. I think maybe zero's DLC would be the only real story DLC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's hard to recommend the dlc. Usually anyone that would be very interested in this game would want to get the final ending, and the DLC helps with that because it's millions of easy gold.

If you're going to play this game as long as you can, then youtube the final ending, you can safely skip the DLC.

Naraku9108
May 29, 2013
Eh, the DLC does give some light on the sister's back stories, varying between each DLC of course, but where it really shines is giving more of a spotlight to them in general. It lets us see the personality of each sister more. Two's story is probably the best one though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
To be honest, Two, Four, and Zero's are the only DLCs worth playing unless you loooooove chakrams or lances (One and Five respectively). Three's is just boring with a terrible weapon and you really only need one or two of them to unlock Branch D if you've been diligent about buying weapons. The only reason to play them all is if you've got money to burn or you want to upgrade every weapon in which case godspeed you mad fool.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Artix posted:

The only reason to play them all is if you've got money to burn or you want to upgrade every weapon in which case godspeed you mad fool.

I did it without any DLC. :shepicide:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
On one hand, gently caress Drakengard 4 if it comes out. On the other, I hope it does so there's more music to listen to.

Darth_Striker
Nov 22, 2005
Mexican Goonslinger

The Dark Id posted:

"Alright. I can do the LP in a month and change or so. I got my HD capture device and some free time. Maybe I can do an early backlo--" *HURRICANE*

gently caress sake!

Sir, your LP of Drakengard, Drakengard 2 and Nier were pure genius and the internet is better thanks for your efforts.

I actually recomended someone with no interest whatsoever in games to read specifically your LP of Drakengard and when he was done I dangled Nier like a bait in front of him...

Waiting and hoping for the Drakengard 3 LP, playing that ATM.

Cheers and where's the link for the kickstarter????

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Dark Id posted:

"Alright. I can do the LP in a month and change or so. I got my HD capture device and some free time. Maybe I can do an early backlo--" *HURRICANE*

gently caress sake!

I wanted to make a joke about a hurricane lasting six months, but instead I decided to just tell you I also enjoyed your Drakengard-LPs and I'm hoping for more.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
Ok so I've been playing this game on and off for over a year now and I have such a love hate for this game and the last boss is really the embodiment of the whole games frustration and challenge.

I really love how it actually is a rhythm game that is on beat though because it lets me practice keeping the beat. Stuff like the rythm game in kh2 which does not frustrate me a lot more even though it's a thousand times easier.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Nyagato posted:

Ok so I've been playing this game on and off for over a year now and I have such a love hate for this game and the last boss is really the embodiment of the whole games frustration and challenge.

I really love how it actually is a rhythm game that is on beat though because it lets me practice keeping the beat. Stuff like the rythm game in kh2 which does not frustrate me a lot more even though it's a thousand times easier.

Do you still need help for the last boss?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBhIapW2iTA

I loved the last boss here because the rhythm is really easy to follow and the music is actually good. The camera work is way too funny when you get a chance to really watch the scene

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Postal Parcel posted:

I loved the last boss here because the rhythm is really easy to follow and the music is actually good. The camera work is way too funny when you get a chance to really watch the scene

I'm not gonna lie, I laughed my rear end off the first time the game used the camera angles to throw me off. It was so hilariously cruel and the slow zoom just added insult to injury.

No seriously though gently caress Cavia. Even when they're technically supposed to be dead they're still trolling us.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So at verse 8 of branch D. Haven't started it yet. Should I go ahead and play Zero's DLC now before what I assume is the end?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Golden Goat posted:

So at verse 8 of branch D. Haven't started it yet. Should I go ahead and play Zero's DLC now before what I assume is the end?

Yeah, go for it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp Zero's DLC crashed just at the end of it so I skipped that part. Don't need the money at this point anyway.

Sooooo.....gently caress the final boss. gently caress it's stupid camera changes and gently caress the long rear end loading time for restarting it.

Still have to beat it.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Play by ear. You can literally beat the final battle with your eyes closed. You counter every note two beats after it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Welp Zero's DLC crashed just at the end of it so I skipped that part. Don't need the money at this point anyway.

Sooooo.....gently caress the final boss. gently caress it's stupid camera changes and gently caress the long rear end loading time for restarting it.

Still have to beat it.
Again

Postal Parcel posted:

Outside of the ending part which everyone can acknowledge is complete bs, it's not too bad once you stop trying to follow the notes on screen. Try counting to yourself like a metronome in common time. Even the guidebook counts everything in 4/4 time and the notes are all the same length

• Locked thread