Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

G-Prime posted:

Couldn't you just as easily make FreeNAS the bare metal OS, and run Virtualbox in a jail? 9.2.1.6 and newer include a template for it in the base install, so you could just fire up VMs from that.

Hm that's interesting. I didn't see that option before so thanks for pointing it out. One of the VMs I do want to setup is pfsense - wonder how well that would work out.

Due to money constraints I'm only setting up a system with raid 1/mirror for the primary storage that will be backed up - not even looking at the ZFS options. Maybe Freenas for this wouldn't be worth the effort and running just a standard linux setup with samba or xpenology would suffice?

poxin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The issue with FreeNAS on VM, at least per their developers, is that the virtual disks might write data out of order and won't flush when requested. Then again, that's assumptions Sun made to begin with when designing ZFS, because it's supposed to run on cheap disks that do just that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I run freenas with vt-d passthrough on esxi. Works fine for me. I can't use it to pass an iscsi device back to esxi though. It works on my testbed but not in reality for me.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

lowcrabdiet posted:

Is there a reason the Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 isn’t recommended as much as the HP N54L for Xpenology?

I searched the Xpenology forums and the TS140 is barely mentioned, whereas it’s the recommended budget build for FreeNAS. The Lenovo is coming at $200-220 for an i3-4130 and 4gb ECC ram and 4 hard drive bays (after removing the optical drive). It seems the only drawback is that the TS140 is not as physically compact as N54L. Is the hardware not as compatible with Xpenology?
I’m mainly just looking for a NAS + Plex server and it looks like Xpenology will be a lot easier to get up and running than FreeNAS.

The main reason is that a lot of the people who were involved with Xpenology development had N54L systems so they made sure that it worked. Then when people wanted a system to run it on the N54L just kept getting suggested since everyone knows that it works.

They've added a lot of support over the years for various hardware so it should run just fine on the TS140. It also runs quite well in a VM so worst case just install Hyper-V or ESXI on it and then create a VM for Xpenology to run in.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Well, that Seagate Expansion 5TB External STBV5000100 that was going around for $130, I bought one a couple of weeks ago.

It is already dead.

I took it out of the external enclosure so I could make it an internal drive. I'm assuming because I did that I voided the warranty. I'm pretty much hosed, right? I can't get my computer to start with it hooked up and it makes weird noises. So, I don't even know how I could diagnose it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

89 posted:

Well, that Seagate Expansion 5TB External STBV5000100 that was going around for $130, I bought one a couple of weeks ago.

It is already dead.

I took it out of the external enclosure so I could make it an internal drive. I'm assuming because I did that I voided the warranty. I'm pretty much hosed, right? I can't get my computer to start with it hooked up and it makes weird noises. So, I don't even know how I could diagnose it.

Check the serial on seagates site. Ive had external drives have show as internal drive warranties.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Don Lapre posted:

Check the serial on seagates site. Ive had external drives have show as internal drive warranties.

The product you identified was sold as a system component. Please contact your place of purchase for service. Seagate sells many drives to direct OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customers. These products are usually configured for the OEMs only, as components for their systems. You must contact your place of purchase for any warranty support on these drives.

*looks at eBay seller's warranty*

Item must be unopened

Well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Might not be the right thread, but...

What is the best (fast & reliable) USB 3.0 SATA adapter that is also really small?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
A friend of mine built his own FreeNAS box a few weeks back, and now I really want to do the same. But where he went super over the top across the board, I just want something that will consume a relatively low amount of power, while outputting to 2 plex clients (usually not transcoding, but sometimes).

Is there a basic way for me to determine what's the minimum processor I should start with, and go from there? I was hoping to spend less than $400 before storage.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

canyonero posted:

A friend of mine built his own FreeNAS box a few weeks back, and now I really want to do the same. But where he went super over the top across the board, I just want something that will consume a relatively low amount of power, while outputting to 2 plex clients (usually not transcoding, but sometimes).

Is there a basic way for me to determine what's the minimum processor I should start with, and go from there? I was hoping to spend less than $400 before storage.

Lenovo TS140 is pretty nice, holds 4 to 5 sata disks and processing power is enough to handle plex.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Lenovo TS140 is pretty nice, holds 4 to 5 sata disks and processing power is enough to handle plex.

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A4 - Core i3 4330 3.5 GHz - 4 GB - 0 GB 70A4000FUX

I ordered this and it came in 4 days. The processor is an updated version (i3-4330) of the one that's on Amazon (i3-4130).

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Is there a good primer for setting up ZFS? My old NAS is starting to bite the bullet, well HDD at least and I figured it was time to future proof a bit and setup something larger.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

calandryll posted:

Is there a good primer for setting up ZFS? My old NAS is starting to bite the bullet, well HDD at least and I figured it was time to future proof a bit and setup something larger.

The FreeBSD docs are pretty useful, assuming you already know what you want from ZFS and why you want it. Booting from ZFS is different but it's good practice to separate boot and storage.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/zfs-quickstart.html

I imagine some of the commands are specific to BSD/FreeBSD and not identical for ZFS on Linux.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you're just setting up something like FreeNAS or NAS4Free, the best primer is simply looking at their installation walk-through web pages. Install it, enable whatever features you want, and then leave it the gently caress alone.

(or be like me and constantly fiddle with it, trying to eek out every last ounce of performance. Incidentally, NAS4Free is 5-10MB/s faster on CIFS transfers than FreeNAS is, which makes me sad because FreeNAS is otherwise better in almost all ways)

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Thinking about experimenting and just running Debian with http://zfsonlinux.org/ . The port appears to be very close to production ready. Been toying around with FreeNAS for a little and while nice, not entirely my cup of tea. I just want the ZFS file system.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been using Ubuntu with ZOL with almost no problems.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

What does the 'almost' part mean? :) Any tips?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Desuwa posted:

The FreeBSD docs are pretty useful, assuming you already know what you want from ZFS and why you want it. Booting from ZFS is different but it's good practice to separate boot and storage.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/zfs-quickstart.html

I imagine some of the commands are specific to BSD/FreeBSD and not identical for ZFS on Linux.

I was more curious about setting up datasets, compression, etc. Ideally, I'd have a mounted folder on my Windows machine that I could access all of the different datasets created with ZFS. My question would be should I enable compression on all of the datasets, let's say I have pictures, videos, music. Which of those datasets would benefit from compression, all or only pictures?

My other question is I'll have 4 3TB HDD, what RAIDZ would be the best for me? This will be general use NAS with Plex and one or two other things. Just go with normal RAIDZ and not worry about 2?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For some reason the ZOL packages got "held back" from upgrades and one time I rebooted and ZFS wasn't there, so I had to dist-upgrade to get the latest ZFS bits and then everything was fine.

I also had a problem with Crashplan where it would start before the ZFS file system was mounted, see that there was no Crashplan directory in /storage (my mountpoint) and create it. And then when ZFS got around to mounting it saw that /storage wasn't empty and wouldn't mount. I fixed that by putting a "sleep 6000" (I think, whatever makes it sleep for 60 seconds) in the startup script for Crashplan. It feels like a dirty hack but there isn't really a better way to do it since Crashplan still uses init scripts.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

poxin posted:

What does the 'almost' part mean? :) Any tips?
I've been using it for years on Centos, the only recent trouble is volumes refusing to automount on boot since a kernel update, and the ZFS daemons being broken by Yum requiring reinstall one time. The data itself is fine though, and ZoL itself and ZFS have been rock solid and have saved my stupid rear end many times over. Most robust redundant storage solution I've ever used. Just make sure you add a cron task to scrub every week or month or so.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
I'm looking at picking up a Synology DS1515+. What's the going consensus on WD Reds vs. HGST drives?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

calandryll posted:

I was more curious about setting up datasets, compression, etc. Ideally, I'd have a mounted folder on my Windows machine that I could access all of the different datasets created with ZFS. My question would be should I enable compression on all of the datasets, let's say I have pictures, videos, music. Which of those datasets would benefit from compression, all or only pictures?

My other question is I'll have 4 3TB HDD, what RAIDZ would be the best for me? This will be general use NAS with Plex and one or two other things. Just go with normal RAIDZ and not worry about 2?

For only 4 drives I'd feel fine with only 1 drive's worth of protection. Anything 6 or more, go with 2 for sure. It depends on what type of drives you're using though. Higher quality NAS drives, probably fine. 3tb Seagate consumer drives? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

vibur posted:

I'm looking at picking up a Synology DS1515+. What's the going consensus on WD Reds vs. HGST drives?

Both nice, HGST has lower failures but is slightly more $$

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the ZoL tips.

Will be selling my Synology DS212 once this server is up if anyone is looking. It's been a great little unit.

Edit: Just played around with nas4free in a VM. It seems almost exactly what I'm looking for as a simple file server with ZFS. Was able to set up a zvol and create a samba share in a few minutes. FreeNas in my opinion has almost too many configuration options.

poxin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 10, 2015

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

For only 4 drives I'd feel fine with only 1 drive's worth of protection. Anything 6 or more, go with 2 for sure. It depends on what type of drives you're using though. Higher quality NAS drives, probably fine. 3tb Seagate consumer drives? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Both nice, HGST has lower failures but is slightly more $$

As much as it hurt monetarily wise, I picked up the NAS quality HDDs. I know from my old NAS, a ReadyNAS Duo, that regular drives aren't going to cut it. Though one has lasted me almost 5 years, hence the upgrade to a better system.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I've been running ZFS on Linux on Ubuntu (12.04 LTS at first, now 14.04 LTS), and outside of one ZoL upgrade a while back that broke a few things and required me to completely wipe and reinstall it (but no issue with any data), have never had problems. Now, this is a personal file server so I'm not exactly putting enterprise-level load on it, but it's production ready as far as I'm concerned.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Napp it is pretty nice and ZFS Guru also looks good.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Anything in ZFS to setup other than scrubbing once and a while? The important stuff will be backed up on crashplan or spideroak so not worried about snapshots.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One thing I like about FreeBSD is that bsdinstall can do whole-disk encryption on any zpool without splicing disks into partitions, even when using root on ZFS.

poxin posted:

Anything in ZFS to setup other than scrubbing once and a while? The important stuff will be backed up on crashplan or spideroak so not worried about snapshots.
Consider graphing S.M.A.R.T attributes that are pre-fail for your disks via collectd (like reallocated sector count, load/unload cycles (sometimes called load-cycle count), and such), as what's really useful to know about those attributes is their change over time, not their current value.
Similarily, consider setting up a system to warn you via email if your pool has problems, like this (although that's for FreeBSD, if it doesn't work it should be relatively to adapt/find something that will work), and also for threshold S.M.A.R.T attributes.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

One thing I like about FreeBSD is that bsdinstall can do whole-disk encryption on any zpool without splicing disks into partitions, even when using root on ZFS.

Consider graphing S.M.A.R.T attributes that are pre-fail for your disks via collectd (like reallocated sector count, load/unload cycles (sometimes called load-cycle count), and such), as what's really useful to know about those attributes is their change over time, not their current value.
Similarily, consider setting up a system to warn you via email if your pool has problems, like this (although that's for FreeBSD, if it doesn't work it should be relatively to adapt/find something that will work), and also for threshold S.M.A.R.T attributes.

Awesome, great ideas. Completely forgot about smart monitoring. Found what looks like a perfect little daemon for pool status w/ email: http://zfswatcher.damicon.fi/

As suggested earlier, napp-it looks to also provide smart and pool monitoring.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

poxin posted:

Will be selling my Synology DS212 once this server is up if anyone is looking. It's been a great little unit.

I may be interested. Would it come with drives? I'm looking to setup a simple server for XBMC, a backup TimeMachine location for our computers and possibly a Owncloud setup. Right now I'm trying to use an external hard drive connected to a Time Capsule for XBMC and it buffers constantly or just simple isn't visible from the computer.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Falco posted:

I may be interested. Would it come with drives? I'm looking to setup a simple server for XBMC, a backup TimeMachine location for our computers and possibly a Owncloud setup. Right now I'm trying to use an external hard drive connected to a Time Capsule for XBMC and it buffers constantly or just simple isn't visible from the computer.

A Synology unit would be pretty well suited for those tasks. Unfortunately it will not have drives included (the ones I have in there are not wonderful). I'll be posting it on SA-Mart hopefully later this week and will pop a link in here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm looking for a Thunderbolt 2 enabled 1u or 2u (or hell 3u ... we have the space for it) storage system that can't exceed 27" in depth.

We ordered the LaCie 12TB 8Big rackmount not realizing it was too deep (just barely).

It's for a mobile DIT cart that will be out in the field and has to be closed up for transport so it HAS to fit that depth and it needs to be rackmounted for stability.

4 or 8 bay is enough and in the $1500-2000 range is preferable.

edit: oops I should probably be in the non-consumer thread.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 11, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Napp it is pretty nice and ZFS Guru also looks good.

Napp-it on almost any supported OS is pretty nice. Install OS of choice (I use omni-os), run the install script from a root shell session. Log into Napp-it, configure your system. Never touch it again. My little hobo-SAN is sitting at 290 days of uptime, and the only reason it's not longer is because I unracked it to hose the dust out.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Anything I should know before picking up a UPS for my new XPenology box? I don't really know anything about the market. I just want something that will allow it to automatically shut down safely when the power goes out.

I also have a desktop and an OpenElec box, if there's a UPS that can handle multiple devices that'd be cool, but they're not always-on and hold nothing that can't be easily replaced. But if it's possible to protect them as well I'd be willing to pay for a modest increase in price.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Anything I should know before picking up a UPS for my new XPenology box? I don't really know anything about the market. I just want something that will allow it to automatically shut down safely when the power goes out.

I also have a desktop and an OpenElec box, if there's a UPS that can handle multiple devices that'd be cool, but they're not always-on and hold nothing that can't be easily replaced. But if it's possible to protect them as well I'd be willing to pay for a modest increase in price.

I use a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD, they have client and agent versions of their software to shutdown computers whether they are attached to the ups or not.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

phosdex posted:

CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD

I also recommend this line of UPSes. They work great with modern high efficiency power supplies.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

phosdex posted:

I use a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD, they have client and agent versions of their software to shutdown computers whether they are attached to the ups or not.

Does their software support Server 2008/12 without paying extra for "business editions"?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sheep posted:

Does their software support Server 2008/12 without paying extra for "business editions"?

Those are listed as supported, the business edition is free too. I think the cd that came with the ups only comes with the personal edition, you have to download the business one.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/management-software/ppbe.html?selectedTabId=resources&imageI=#tab-box

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have a HP Proliant N40L from 2010 that has 5x Samsung 2TB HD204UI drives. I am pretty sure I successfully installed the hacked bios that allowed me to use the 5th SATA spot (was the optical drive) as a full speed sata 3.0 hard drive.

I recently copied off all of my data from the 7TB I had on there on a ZFS pool, installed on FreeNAS. I had upgraded Freenas from like v7, so I figured I should finally do a fresh install-- as it had been bugging me about the 512 sector size anyhow.

When I reformated the NAS, installed FreeNAS v9.3 from scratch, and then made a new zpool volume, the 512 errors went away, but the smartctl stuff still shows 512 sector size. I had read someone about these Samsung drives being 4k with 512 emulation or something, so I don't know what to about this.

Is there any way to force a 4k format on the drives? I've read that non-4k sector can slow down CIFS/SMB performance, as I am still getting like 30MB/50MB write speeds to the NAS. I was hopefully expecting more from my new fresh reinstall :(

Spending 20min to copy 40GB kind of sucks, and unfortunately I don't have Win7 Ultimate to try out NFS. It sucks that MS requires that before it will let you install the NFS utilities.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

jeeves posted:

I have a HP Proliant N40L from 2010 that has 5x Samsung 2TB HD204UI drives. I am pretty sure I successfully installed the hacked bios that allowed me to use the 5th SATA spot (was the optical drive) as a full speed sata 3.0 hard drive.

I recently copied off all of my data from the 7TB I had on there on a ZFS pool, installed on FreeNAS. I had upgraded Freenas from like v7, so I figured I should finally do a fresh install-- as it had been bugging me about the 512 sector size anyhow.

When I reformated the NAS, installed FreeNAS v9.3 from scratch, and then made a new zpool volume, the 512 errors went away, but the smartctl stuff still shows 512 sector size. I had read someone about these Samsung drives being 4k with 512 emulation or something, so I don't know what to about this.

Is there any way to force a 4k format on the drives? I've read that non-4k sector can slow down CIFS/SMB performance, as I am still getting like 30MB/50MB write speeds to the NAS. I was hopefully expecting more from my new fresh reinstall :(

Spending 20min to copy 40GB kind of sucks, and unfortunately I don't have Win7 Ultimate to try out NFS. It sucks that MS requires that before it will let you install the NFS utilities.

FreeNAS does everything with ashift=12 to future proof things, if you did everything from scratch with the 9.3 installer you should be all set.

SSH or use the web console to run "glabel status" which will dump a ton of information about all of the partitions. Right under sector size is another field which iirc is called stripe size, old drives will say zero and advanced format drives will say 4096.