Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

So my sister posed a book request to me, which was "Fantasy novel with a strong female protagonist, and a best friend who is also female." I am stumped, can't think of any off the top of my head--strong female leads are more common than in the past, but female lead without a sassy talking animal/dude friend is harder for me to tabulate. Going through my own reading lists for the past couple years doesn't produce much.

I gave her Martha Wells's Wheel of the Infinite and Bennett's City of Stairs for being good books that meet at least the strong female lead part of the equation.

Some I would recommend: Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion and the following book; The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein; The Banner of the Damned by Sherwood Smith; The Last Unicorn; The Secrets of Jin-Shei by Alma A. Hromic

For a book that's a bit more popular literature, but still fantasy, Wicked is all about the friendship between two women. I personally found the book boring, though.

I also second the recommendation for Valente and would also look into Kate Elliot and maybe Robin McKinley as well, although her books are mainly young adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Lowly posted:

Some I would recommend: Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion and the following book; The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein; The Banner of the Damned by Sherwood Smith; The Last Unicorn; The Secrets of Jin-Shei by Alma A. Hromic

For a book that's a bit more popular literature, but still fantasy, Wicked is all about the friendship between two women. I personally found the book boring, though.

I also second the recommendation for Valente and would also look into Kate Elliot and maybe Robin McKinley as well, although her books are mainly young adult.

Neat! I hadn't heard of some of these--Jin-Shei and Banner of the Damned look interesting in particular. I agree about Wicked, but I've enjoyed Valente's shorts when I've read them, not really gotten into her novels other than the first one of the Fairyland books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'll second the recommendations of Last Unicorn and Curse of Chalion, though I'm not sure either fits the Bechdel test.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Do they? I thought even the people who liked him were turned off by Wise Man's Fear.
I know I was.

There's an interesting book in there, and with some editing down for redundancy and useless scenes, and a bit of revision it could be good. But unfortunately, Rothfuss wrote a book about a the Best Guy Ever being interviewed by the Most Reliable Historian Ever, rather than about a guy who thinks he's the best guy ever being interviewed by a guy who has heard these kind of stories before and can counter with alternate versions.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need to read the Kushiel series at some point just so I can know if it's worth recommending for these kinds of polls.

I enjoyed them a lot as alternate history and bizarre takes on religion and politics, but unless you define strong female protagonist as "actual, genuine masochist harem girl who gets caught up in religious scheming"... Very much a product of her environment. Realistically written, certainly, but not exactly what the requester is looking for.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I enjoyed them a lot as alternate history and bizarre takes on religion and politics, but unless you define strong female protagonist as "actual, genuine masochist harem girl who gets caught up in religious scheming"... Very much a product of her environment. Realistically written, certainly, but not exactly what the requester is looking for.

Some of my female friends seem to like them as examples of Strong Females Taking Control of their Sexuality or that's what they say anyway. Like I said, I haven't read them myself and at this rate am not likely to any time soon.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Some of my female friends seem to like them as examples of Strong Females Taking Control of their Sexuality or that's what they say anyway. Like I said, I haven't read them myself and at this rate am not likely to any time soon.

This is something most of the women I've known who have read the Kushiel books have said; at the very least they seem to be popular.

(Also, I enjoyed them quite a bit.)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Oh, yes, definitely, this is the intended take away, and the reading I got as well once you get into them. The world building and the level of detail that Carey puts into her rethinking of how our world could have developed is fascinating, and her grasp of how people think is excellent. I would certainly describe them as feminist works, and worth reading (or at least the first one to see if you enjoy).

But if one is looking for Lord of the Rings, but with an all female cast, they definitely aren't that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Wife and I are listening to DUNE on audiobook because the new baby keeps us too busy to read.
Is it just me or do Paul and Jessica spend an awful lot of time running across the desert fleeing from worms? There are like three separate scenes so far where they just barely escape being eaten and they all sound exactly the same.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It makes sense in a way given the characters' later progress. Basically it's there for contrast, to show the planet is hostile and they don't belong there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kesper North posted:

This is something most of the women I've known who have read the Kushiel books have said; at the very least they seem to be popular.

(Also, I enjoyed them quite a bit.)

They're the best romance novels I have ever read.

Or maybe second, after The Pattern Scars. This is a trap.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

It makes sense in a way given the characters' later progress. Basically it's there for contrast, to show the planet is hostile and they don't belong there.

It's also loving tedious.

"I am the Lisan-al-Gaib, the Kwisatz Haderach! I am Duke Paul Atreides, the Shortening of the Way, the Voice from the Outer Rim! Try looking within yourself to that place where you dare not go, and find me staring back at you!

Now, let me tell you about foam"

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm 95% done with the Three Body Problem

It's really loving good. I don't read a massive amount of sci-fi, but I do read a lot of it, and I feel like it actually has some really fresh and cool ideas. To contrast with the previous novel I read, which was terrible, (Proxima, by Stephen Baxter), the ideas in this story all just make me think "That is sooo cool!" Every single idea in Proxima felt stale as poo poo and completely uninspired. The only really cool thing Baxter pulled off was the tidally locked planet, but even that felt more like Baxter sperging out on one kind of boring physics idea, fleshing the poo poo out of it, and then shoving a bunch of other trite crap into it with no real love.

The Three Body Problem also manages to convey a tight plot through what almost feels like a clusterfuck of weird narrative choices, but it ends up just working out and the fact that there is no real chronological or straight narrative doesn't hurt it at all. It's pretty cool that the whole novel reads more like a series of very inter-connected novelettes than just a standard-issue novel.

I don't know when the translation of the second one is out, but I'm almost considering biting the bullet and trying to read the second book in Mandarin, but I'm worried the super dense amount of physics, astronomy, and physics terms will fry my brain.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm about halfway through Catherynne Valente's "The Boy who Lost Fairlyand", and realized I don't really remember what happened to September at the end of "... and Cut the Moon in Two". Could anyone refresh my memory? I've tried Googling for a while and couldn't find any good refreshers.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

occamsnailfile posted:

So my sister posed a book request to me, which was "Fantasy novel with a strong female protagonist, and a best friend who is also female." I am stumped, can't think of any off the top of my head--strong female leads are more common than in the past, but female lead without a sassy talking animal/dude friend is harder for me to tabulate. Going through my own reading lists for the past couple years doesn't produce much.

I gave her Martha Wells's Wheel of the Infinite and Bennett's City of Stairs for being good books that meet at least the strong female lead part of the equation.

You certainly want the "Cold Magic" trilogy by Kate Elliot. (Her 'Spirit Gate' trilogy has an ensemble cast, and one of the viewpoint characters is female with a female best friend).

Pamela Dean's "The Dubious Hills" might be a candidate (it's a strong recommend in general), I don't remember a best friend character but the lead has a strong social network with (I think) a majority of female characters.

I haven't read Roberta Cray's 'The Sword and the Lion' for several years, but I think the female protagonist had a female best friend. (and it's another strong recommendation in general).

A long shot might be Nina Kiriki Hoffmann's 'A Red Heart of Memories' and sequel, that's an ensemble cast of friends and I'm pretty sure at least two are female.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I'll second the recommendations of Last Unicorn and Curse of Chalion, though I'm not sure either fits the Bechdel test.

Surely 'Paladin of Souls' would be a better match in that series.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

More: 'Goblin Moon', Teresa Edgerton. And, depending on how strictly you interpret it, 'The Interior Life' by Katharine Blake (I would say that, morally, this counts).

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

occamsnailfile posted:

The Brimstone Angel series by Erin M Evans is set in the Forgotten Realms universe, but for the most part are fairly accessible to those not in the know. The series is about Farideh, a teenaged tiefling (humanoid with some devilish/demonic ancestry) who is tricked into becoming a warlock, thrown out of her home village, and takes up a career as a bounty hunter with her twin sister Havilar and adoptive father Mehen. They get mixed up with devils, demons, Harpers (the resident good-aligned meddling spy organization), evil gods, and more. The books released thus far are Brimstone Angels, Lesser Evils, The Adversary, and Fire in the Blood (the first one is ok but a little confusing, while the ones after it are great improvements) and Ashes of the Tyrant comes out later this year.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Did anyone else have problems with The Broken Eye? I really like the first two books but this last one I just can't seem to get into. I don't know if its because it's been over a year since I read the second or if its just poo poo. I just feel like there's not enough Gavin.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just finished and enjoyed Son of the Morning, but was I the only one who found it contained a lot of jarring tonal shifts? It would be all serious fantasy alternative history one minute and then an Osbert POV chapter would come along that felt like it had been subcontracted out to Terry Pratchett.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

angel opportunity posted:

I'm 95% done with the Three Body Problem

I'm about 60% of the way through, and I'm having this issue where I'm not sure if the translation is throwing me off, or I'm just too dumb for it, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I gather I'm about at the point where the book turns and I get a real look at the overriding plot, but the dialogue is so odd, and part of the book are written in this strange, simplistic way, which is then, I assume intentionally, contrasted with the super detailed and in depth science stuff.

This has been a book where I've had most fun just kicking back and enjoying the weird ideas and visuals. The Three Body sections in particular are awesome.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah, right around that point is when I started to get pretty into it. Up to that point I was somewhat lost as to why many things were happening or what their point was.

There are definitely some seemingly strange choices though. Wang is married and has a kid, but his wife and kid are shown a total of one or two times. He almost never communicates with them within the narrative, and I effectively forgot that they existed. Maybe it was intentional to show how sucked in he was getting to the game, but I feel like just a small thing (even just a sentence here or there) of showing his wife nagging him about neglecting his kid and always playing the game would have helped it feel less jarring without hurting the narrative or flow at all.

Dialogue is pretty minimal in general: you get a lot of short conversations, and when it comes time for someone to answer questions, it just breaks into their life story told from the narrator's voice rather than as an Ayn Rand-sized block of monologue.

I finished the book yesterday and loved it though :)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Some of those choices, like the wife and kid, in caulking up to cultural differences that I'm never going to get. I'll probably finish the book later today(hurray for cross country road tripping), so I'll chip in with my feelings then.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Has anyone read David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series? I read it back in the 1990s and for a while it was loving amazing but then the last couple of books seemed to mostly peter out and go nowhere. I decided to re-read it, and saw that over the past couple of years it was republished but now has 20 books instead of 8, and I gather things have been rearranged somewhat.

Worth starting over with it?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
About 2/3rds of the way through the language in Son of the Morning seems to get modern colloquial in its tone to the point it really stands out from the first half. The plot and mythology also started to kind of wander all over. The ending in particular just shudders to a sloppy halt with a bunch of loose ends that feels like a haphazard setup for a sequel. Don't get me wrong, the premise is fantastic and engrosses you but it seems like author really didn't think it through to actually develop a full plot for a novel even though he had 800 pages to work with.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This is a dumb question, but the part in Three Body about the sun being a giant radio amplifier is complete sci fi right?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is a dumb question, but the part in Three Body about the sun being a giant radio amplifier is complete sci-fi right?

Without looking it up or doing any research at all, yes. We would be doing this or at least arguing about whether we should do this if it were possible.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Has anyone read David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series? I read it back in the 1990s and for a while it was loving amazing but then the last couple of books seemed to mostly peter out and go nowhere. I decided to re-read it, and saw that over the past couple of years it was republished but now has 20 books instead of 8, and I gather things have been rearranged somewhat.

The Chung Kuo novels are pretty much orientalist trash all around, but the ending to the series just took an amazing left turn into crazy. DeVore turns out to be some kind of extradimensional rape-spider that came to Earth to destabilize and ruin everything

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just finished Three Body! That ending was kind of an infodump, but I really enjoyed it quite a bit. The actual cliffhanger was seriously a fantastic setup for the series, and the world after the book is gonna be a really interesting setting. It was really fantastic how well the author used the cultural revolution in a way that felt powerful and meaningful, spending a lot of the book examining its effects on science and culture, whereas many sci-fi authors would have just used something like that as some empty justification and dropped it.

Also, Da Shi is a badass.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Wingrove actually wrote two prequel books not too long ago that bridge the gap between the modern world and when the Chinese takes over. He also uses them as an opportunity to explain what happened to modern technology like the internet. Unfortunately the rerelease didn't do well so the publishers canceled it.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just finished reading Fools Assassin by Robin Hobb and have got to say it's possibly the biggest steaming pile of money grubbing poo poo I've ever read. I quite liked all of the Fitz and the Fool books and the thought of another in the series excited me. This book does more to destroy Hobb's previous good work than it does to further the story. The characters are hollow and emotionless, the plotline is devoid of any point and just meanders through day to day life. If you're a fan of the series do yourself a favour and leave it where it was.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Also, Da Shi is a badass.

I love Da Shi.

One of the Three Body sections made it into my collection of passages I type out to try to steal its writing mojo, it was that good. I forgive a book any flaws when it has a passage like that.

Also did anyone else get a mental picture of the Three Body people even though little was given away? I kept picturing them as big tardigrades.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I was thinking about holding off on 3-body until all 3 books are out. But everybody raving about it makes me want to read it now. Is the first one stand-alone enough that I won't be mad about waiting for the next 2?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

ZerodotJander posted:

I was thinking about holding off on 3-body until all 3 books are out. But everybody raving about it makes me want to read it now. Is the first one stand-alone enough that I won't be mad about waiting for the next 2?

It's standalone enough, but you will still probably be sad the second book isn't out yet once you finish

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Good to see some 3 body love.

Out of curiosity, what was the section that you use for writing? I do agree he is a great character.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Aargh posted:

Just finished reading Fools Assassin by Robin Hobb and have got to say it's possibly the biggest steaming pile of money grubbing poo poo I've ever read. I quite liked all of the Fitz and the Fool books and the thought of another in the series excited me. This book does more to destroy Hobb's previous good work than it does to further the story. The characters are hollow and emotionless, the plotline is devoid of any point and just meanders through day to day life. If you're a fan of the series do yourself a favour and leave it where it was.

I just finished the Fool's Assasin myself and really enjoyed it. It was only until after I read it that I heard about the Fitz and the Fool. Since I already know what happens to Fitz, I've been on the fence about reading the original series.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

RisqueBarber posted:

I just finished the Fool's Assasin myself and really enjoyed it. It was only until after I read it that I heard about the Fitz and the Fool. Since I already know what happens to Fitz, I've been on the fence about reading the original series.

You definitely should. It's about the journey, not the destination dude. One of the few series that got me a little weepy eyed.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

occamsnailfile posted:

Try "The Privilege of the Sword" by Ellen Kushner. It's about a woman that learns to be a duelist in a patriarchal society where the privilege to carry and fight with a sword is the #1 arbiter of social and legal status/power.

It's :black101: as hell.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dammit. Terry Pratchett died :smith:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

RisqueBarber posted:

Did anyone else have problems with The Broken Eye? I really like the first two books but this last one I just can't seem to get into. I don't know if its because it's been over a year since I read the second or if its just poo poo. I just feel like there's not enough Gavin.

I felt the same. It still has enough moments of outstanding action that I ultimately enjoyed it, but I didn't burn through it like I did the first two. I also felt the series started to get up its own rear end in prophecy, which is a huge pet peeve for me. Not every fantasy series needs to be moored in soothsaying and prophesying, goddamn.

More than anything I feel like Weeks made a mistake in the second novel by having Gavin (huge spoiler) kill his brother. The scenes with Dazen in the meticulously crafted prison were among my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

thehomemaster posted:

Good to see some 3 body love.

Out of curiosity, what was the section that you use for writing? I do agree he is a great character.

It's the whole bit where they build the giant computer out of people and then get sucked into space when the suns align. I collect bits of writing I find the most vivid, immersive, extra memorable, or something strange that I really admire. As a writing exercise, I type them out then write a paragraph or so about what grabbed me. I got the idea from Hunter S. Thompson typing out The Sun Also Rises and The Great Gatsby to try to gain muscle memory for good writing, but my exercise is more about figuring out what I personally find compelling so I just focus on scenes I like.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dammit. Terry Pratchett died :smith:

Aww, we all knew it was coming, but still. :smith: