Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

univbee posted:

I'm going to be in Wellington, New Zealand in a few days. Is there anything worth checking out there video game-wise? Either a retro store or somewhere where a discounted game isn't still "more than it launched for in the U.S."? I take it all the copies of International Cricket got snatched up due to the world cup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuEIyqVuspI

Nah, no games. Just bootleg chocolate milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nah, no games. Just bootleg chocolate milk.

Lewis Road Creamery :argh:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hitze posted:

I'm ready to switch some dang video

In RGB We Trust :patriot:

:gizz:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I've been thinking about game storage, especially of disc-based media. I live in a decently non-humid area, but I think I'd like to begin storing some of my rarer stuff inside some sort of ziplock bags. Is there any company producing ziplock bags with the right size for DVD cases (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube), Saturn (bigger than DVD), jewel case size (Dreamcast, PS1, Saturn) or anything of the sort?

Also, I read some article mentioning that due to bad disc pressing in the early days it would be a good idea to further protect the label area so less poo poo gets into the data section using something like these label guards. Supposedly, it would help delay disc rot.

Any of you have any experience with any of this stuff? Tell me your secrets.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Jewel cases will easily fit in quart bags. You're pretty much going to have to use gallons for the bigger ones.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Does anyone here own a Dina 2 in 1?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hitze posted:

I'm ready to switch some dang video

In RGB We Trust :patriot:

How is it?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Heran Bago posted:

How is it?

Seems to work fine, 12 inputs 8 outputs that can be driven simultaneously!

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

hitze posted:

Seems to work fine, 12 inputs 8 outputs that can be driven simultaneously!

Very nice find indeed. Does it have a lid?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I have 3 RGB switchboxes like that, but they have fewer overall outputs. Trying to complete a US Sega Master System collection (about 20 games short) if anyone interested in some trades or something. These pictures are poo poo, I could take more/better.

I don't have an RGB monitor nor have I found one locally, so I'm currently using S-Video on a CRT I found on the curb last summer. Switchbox is this awesome looking sony thing that has modules, some RGB, some Svideo. (note photos are before it was cleaned up)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What's a good go-to place for anti-static bags? Preferably large enough to store arcade boards.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Here's a couple shots from a Genesis Model 2 mod I did today. In the first picture can be seen the composite/stereo connections from the bottom of the motherboard, with grounds. Then you've got the s-video connections, both pairs nicely protected. I amp the luma signal. It's a pain in the rear end to hold the case open with all the connections so I'm just showing the finished product in picture 2. I reflowed the power connector, hence "mr. sucky". And yes, I forgot to buy yellow wire.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Tyson Tomoko and I did a small game swap; here are some terrible pictures.

Berserk is much easier than I remember the arcade version being but I'm enjoying it. I went out and picked up the touch pad for Star Raiders so I'll try that later.

I wish I could send the floppys back to my childhood because I'm sure I would've enjoyed them immensely as a kid.

Thanks!

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

A buddy of mine is having a bit of an issue with his model 2 Genny/32x combo. With either the Genny itself or the 32x connected over composite, his video looks like this:

Is it just the cable or could the video out on his Genny be hosed?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's a good price for a 32" Wega these days? See one on Craigslist but don't know what to offer

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Medullah posted:

What's a good price for a 32" Wega these days? See one on Craigslist but don't know what to offer

Offer to bring a friend to remove it from their basement free of charge.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ryden posted:

A buddy of mine is having a bit of an issue with his model 2 Genny/32x combo. With either the Genny itself or the 32x connected over composite, his video looks like this:

Is there any oxidation or rust inside the system? Also, is he sure his cables work?

E: if he's using the same cable and getting the same result, that feels like the problem, since the 32x does the video output itself and uses the genesis for extra processing power.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 12, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ryden posted:

Something is likely wrong inside the genesis. Composite is both chroma and luma combined and shoved out over a single cable. In this pic it looks like for some reason the color doesn't leave the encoder when going over composite. Does RF have color?

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

Kazvall posted:

if he's using the same cable and getting the same result, that feels like the problem, since the 32x does the video output itself and uses the genesis for extra processing power.

Yeah, that's what we were thinking too, but he doesn't have another cable to test just yet. The cable that came with it has some of the plastic shielding cut away from the end of the connector that goes to the Genesis. Dunno if that could be what's causing it, as there's no actual damage to the cable or pins besides that.

flyboi posted:

Something is likely wrong inside the genesis. Composite is both chroma and luma combined and shoved out over a single cable. In this pic it looks like for some reason the color doesn't leave the encoder when going over composite. Does RF have color?

He doesn't have RF to test that out, this was just kind of an "Oh poo poo, wtf could be wrong" kind of thing. We'll do some more testing tomorrow, just wanted to get an idea of what we could be up against.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

iirc the 32x has its own graphics processing unit which I believe uses its own video encoder. If the 32x mixes the genesis output into that it's possible it could be the genesis I suppose. Hard to find better info online. I just can't think why his luma signal looks so hosed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kazvall posted:

iirc the 32x has its own graphics processing unit which I believe uses its own video encoder. If the 32x mixes the genesis output into that it's possible it could be the genesis I suppose. Hard to find better info online. I just can't think why his luma signal looks so hosed.

Come to think of it, if you had a 32x game to test with, if the problem was at the Genesis end I THINK you'd get an effect where the static backgrounds were hosed and the higher-end foreground stuff was in proper color. Worth a shot, anyway.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

univbee posted:

Come to think of it, if you had a 32x game to test with, if the problem was at the Genesis end I THINK you'd get an effect where the static backgrounds were hosed and the higher-end foreground stuff was in proper color. Worth a shot, anyway.

Hmmm I did have a senior moment there not thinking a regular genesis game should use the genesis hardware with the 32x connected. Not entirely sure how they come together for processing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Hmmm I did have a senior moment there not thinking a regular genesis game should use the genesis hardware with the 32x connected. Not entirely sure how they come together for processing.

Basically the final image you get is composited: the Genesis does some really basic output like static backgrounds and simple poo poo like that, while the 32x has just the enhanced assets. If you miswire it and have video outputting straight from the Genesis to the TV, you get a weird effect where most game assets are invisible but the game still plays. I figure if you extrapolate this, if the error was inside the Genesis and not the cable, you'd see the backgrounds being that lovely black and white, while the 3D stuff is full color.

This would only work if you had an actual 32x game to test with, though. Regular Genesis stuff I think doesn't use the 32x at all so is useless for testing with.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

univbee posted:

Basically the final image you get is composited: the Genesis does some really basic output like static backgrounds and simple poo poo like that, while the 32x has just the enhanced assets. If you miswire it and have video outputting straight from the Genesis to the TV, you get a weird effect where most game assets are invisible but the game still plays. I figure if you extrapolate this, if the error was inside the Genesis and not the cable, you'd see the backgrounds being that lovely black and white, while the 3D stuff is full color.

This would only work if you had an actual 32x game to test with, though. Regular Genesis stuff I think doesn't use the 32x at all so is useless for testing with.

Gotcha.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kazvall posted:

univbee posted:

The 32X works by taking the RGB out from the Genesis AV port and then reprocessing it with its own encoder. This can be useful for Genesis-assisted video processing that 32X games offload, and also because the 32X may or may not have a better video encoder than the stock one inside the Genesis. So running a Genesis game through the 32X might give better video quality, but more than that, it's also something that is separate from the Genesis composite video output. The only time composite video would come into play is when the 32X is finally outputting it after doing its encoding work.

So if Ryden's friend has the Genny, AV link cable, and 32X combined, and is still getting that image using the 32X video output, then I'd suspect cable shenanigans myself. When the cable is hooked up, are the audio plugs also hooked up to something (like the TV)? If not, maybe there's a grounding issue in the cable. Is this an OEM cable, or a third party one?

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 12, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hopefully Ryden tells us tomorrow because I'm now super curious.

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

Man I look away for 30 minutes, and everyone's jumping in to help. Much appreciated guys!

univbee posted:

He tested it with Doom for the 32x, and an Everdrive hooked up to both the Genny and 32x and got the same result with all 3.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

So if Ryden's friend has the Genny, AV link cable, and 32X combined, and is still getting that image using the 32X video output, then I'd suspect cable shenanigans myself. When the cable is hooked up, are the audio plugs also hooked up to something (like the TV)? If not, maybe there's a grounding issue in the cable. Is this an OEM cable, or a third party one?

I actually had this exact problem with my own setup. I was using the stereo jack on my HDG Genny in the front, but if I didn't have the audio on the AV cable plugged into SOMETHING, I got a lovely picture. Solved that by just using an RCA barrel to connect both of them.

I'm not sure what brand the cables are. I bought the setup for him from my local retro store, and it was boxed so I'm assuming it's OEM. The patch cable from the Genesis to the 32x is probably a third party, but the 32x isn't the problem, so that doesn't really help. My friend's got everything hooked up. He also tried fiddling with the cable at both ends while it was plugged in and powered on, and didn't get any improvement.

ryden fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 12, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Cloks posted:

Tyson Tomoko and I did a small game swap; here are some terrible pictures.

Berserk is much easier than I remember the arcade version being but I'm enjoying it. I went out and picked up the touch pad for Star Raiders so I'll try that later.

I wish I could send the floppys back to my childhood because I'm sure I would've enjoyed them immensely as a kid.

Thanks!

I really did plan on sending you more stuff but man those 2600 games filled up that small flat rate box way quicker than I imagined. Maybe they'll be another trade in our future for random stuff it'd definitely be cool. This gentlemen's stuff came in the mail several days ago and I've been too lazy to take pictures and post about it.

Cloks hooked me up! I've got an absolute shitload of Genesis games but you managed to pick one I did not have woohoo! The GB game I don't know about but I know I don't have it haha, looking forward to checking it out. The random action figure/legos/cards are going in my general toy box/chest for the future Tomko jr (and/or me) to play with one day. Thanks again!

I don't have many GBA games but DAMNIT am I a sucker for Classic NES series GBA games. I played a few minutes of it on my fatty red NDS and it will get lots more play time in the future. Man I can never get rid of my fatty NDS, it's just so incredible. I literally cannot remember the last time I charged it. It was at least a SEASON or two ago if not more.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Anyone have some good Zelda clones to recommended? Is Golden Axe Warrior as good as it looks?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kazvall posted:

Anyone have some good Zelda clones to recommended? Is Golden Axe Warrior as good as it looks?

Neutopia I and II on the TG-16/PCEngine
Gunple/Gunparu for the Super Famicom
Crusader of Centy and Beyond Oasis on the Genesis
The Legend of Oasis on Saturn
Alundra for the PSX (not Alundra 2, that's trash)

That's all I got.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 12, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ah, yeah. I barely remember Centy being an okay lttp clone. I'll check Neutopia out. Alundra is in my favorite RPG list. Is Legend a sequel to Beyond Oasis?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kazvall posted:

Ah, yeah. I barely remember Centy being an okay lttp clone. I'll check Neutopia out. Alundra is in my favorite RPG list. Is Legend a sequel to Beyond Oasis?

Yep, Legend is a sequel to Beyond. Different MC though.

Edit: Prequel actually...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

Lewis Road Creamery :argh:

Oak's the best chocolate milk, better than Big M. Yeah, I said it :colbert:.

Kazvall posted:

Mega Man Legends 1&2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blood Omen

VAE VICTIS!!!!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ryden posted:

I'm not sure what brand the cables are. I bought the setup for him from my local retro store, and it was boxed so I'm assuming it's OEM. The patch cable from the Genesis to the 32x is probably a third party, but the 32x isn't the problem, so that doesn't really help. My friend's got everything hooked up. He also tried fiddling with the cable at both ends while it was plugged in and powered on, and didn't get any improvement.

Well, like I said, the 32X does its own separate video encoding, so if the problem is also occurring through the 32X's AV port (be it with a Genesis or 32X game), then the cable would probably be the culprit here, rather than the internal encoder. I'd venture that it's a third party cable, myself; I don't recall the Model 2 including an AV cable by default.

What kind of display is this going to?

EDIT: Because if it's going to a TV that uses the component/YPbPr ports for composite input, it may be in the wrong port (especially if there are two sets of jacks), or the port may need to be set in the TV to work in composite mode.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 12, 2015

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

ryden posted:

I actually had this exact problem with my own setup. I was using the stereo jack on my HDG Genny in the front, but if I didn't have the audio on the AV cable plugged into SOMETHING, I got a lovely picture. Solved that by just using an RCA barrel to connect both of them.

That's really weird. I had a similar problem, my 32X+model 1 Genesis didn't work until I plugged in the audio cable from the headphone jack to the TV.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kazvall posted:

Not retro but I just played this Adventure Time game and it is like 75% LTTP with some Link's Awakening sprinkled in for flavor. The rest is it's really funky storage system.

If anyone does play this, pro loving tip that took me forever to figure out: sometimes to fight a boss you will need empty baggies. It's a decent game. There's only 4 dungeons but they are fairly complex. The world is smaller than Zelda games.

I'll second the Neutopia games, they are quite enjoyable.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Kazvall posted:

Crystalis?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FIRST TIME posted:

Crystalis?

This is still my favorite NES game. As a kid i enjoyed it more than Zelda. Don't pay the GBA one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you like OG Zelda you will like Golden Axe Warrior, they're near-identical.

If you like Zelda 2, stay well away from Ax Battler: Legend of Golden Axe, it's awful.

• Locked thread