Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stargate posted:

Except for the fact that all the new stuff rules. Why are you complaining about a non-lethal section when it plays in exactly the same way, just with less red everywhere?

I WANT BLOOD.

But no, I was fine with the non-lethal stuff in execution, it's just a totally bewildering concept to put into a Hotline Miami title and one more example of innovation that's not needed and never goes anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Gorn Myson posted:

I really like the non-lethal stuff, I just can't stand the open levels and the huge amount of windows.

Echoing this. I'm stuck on "Casualties." :smith:

Malek fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 11, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gorn Myson posted:

I love lots of things about this game, but some of the levels are draining my enthusiasm.

In the end I think that's the biggest thing for me. They're all so big/long and it's a grind to finish even one. The boat level for fucks sake...

e: I actually loved the non lethal level. But too many levels seem like you have to puzzle it out over and over again and there's only one "proper" way to get it done where you could have some variance in HM.

e2: This game also has the first sewer level I've ever enjoyed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I WANT BLOOD.

But no, I was fine with the non-lethal stuff in execution, it's just a totally bewildering concept to put into a Hotline Miami title and one more example of innovation that's not needed and never goes anywhere.

Honestly the whole plot never really goes anywhere other than the Son's story. I guess that makes him the protagonist. On the other hand he still employ armies of mobsters so apparently Jacket didn't really do that good a job at destroying the mob in the first game. Also the Russo-America coalition never has any relevance so I guess the Biker's real ending details were non canon?

weekly font posted:

In the end I think that's the biggest thing for me. They're all so big/long and it's a grind to finish even one. The boat level for fucks sake...

e: I actually loved the non lethal level. But too many levels seem like you have to puzzle it out over and over again and there's only one "proper" way to get it done where you could have some variance in HM.

e2: This game also has the first sewer level I've ever enjoyed.

Act 3 was a roller coaster. Into The Pit was really fun and good. Dead Ahead sucked. Death Wish was mostly good but then they kill the characters who got 50% of the levels I liked. :geno:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

quakster posted:

Undoubtedly, people who genuinely dislike the game will figure it out eventually. Some of them will even realize that they didn't like the first game all that much. They will also ignore their own emotional state's effect on their enjoyment and blame both things that were responsible for them not enjoying it and things that are completely unrelated to their enjoyment on the disappointment caused by a game that did not live up to their expectations or just wasn't novel enough. This is the cycle of online video game discussion. It's terrifying. My personal favorite is the guy that inevitably pops up, personally threatened by the sudden negative tone of discussion and bizarrely claims that nobody hated it before or something. :catdrugs:

No body is saying this, just a load of conjecture on your part. Fact is, it's a lot of different stuff in this game that doesn't work in its favour, and it has nothing to with "we didn't REALLY like the first game" Storyline is all over the place, too many characters, ending and richard all over the place feel too much like some amateur arthouse flick. These are legitimate criticism, but apparently you can't voice anything other than praise in this thread.
Talking about this stuff is important because I still on some level enjoy the game, but a lot of times enjoyment gets dragged down.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Honestly the whole plot never really goes anywhere other than the Son's story. I guess that makes him the protagonist. On the other hand he still employ armies of mobsters so apparently Jacket didn't really do that good a job at destroying the mob in the first game. Also the Russo-America coalition never has any relevance so I guess the Biker's real ending details were non canon?

50 Blessings succeeds in their goal of destabilizing Russo-American relations by the end of the game by simultaneously organizing hits on both the Russian and American world leaders. That's why Miami gets bombed.

Their political agenda still isn't relevant, though, just like in the last game. What matters is the characters' compulsion towards violent, self-destructive decisions and how the phone calls and/or their worship of Jacket are just excuses for them to act out their own brutal fantasies until that same violence consumes them.

Wild Horses posted:

apparently you can't voice anything other than praise in this thread.

You're an idiot.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
So, anyone know why the Janitors came to see Richter? Aside from being cryptic fuckers, of course.
Yes, you sons of bitches, I recognise you.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 11, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Devs said on Twitter the shift camera change is a bug that'll be fixed

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

dis astranagant posted:

The hit detection around doors and corners feels even worse than the first game somehow.

Yeah. This poo poo's whack, yo.

http://gfycat.com/FixedSarcasticHoneyeater

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't know much about US geography but would nukes on Miami hit Hawaii?

Oxxidation posted:

50 Blessings succeeds in their goal of destabilizing Russo-American relations by the end of the game by simultaneously organizing hits on both the Russian and American world leaders. That's why Miami gets bombed.

Their political agenda still isn't relevant, though, just like in the last game. What matters is the characters' compulsion towards violent, self-destructive decisions and how the phone calls and/or their worship of Jacket are just excuses for them to act out their own brutal fantasies until that same violence consumes them.

Ah, I guess that's true.

Ledgy posted:

So, anyone know why the Janitors came to see Richard ? Aside from being cryptic fuckers, of course.
Yes, you sons of bitches, I recognise you.

Richter, not Richard.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I was on the second to last level.

I just beat the game.

End guy was tough.

...now what?

:smith:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Skunkrocker posted:

I just beat the game.

End guy was tough.

...now what?

Now you wait with us until the level editor comes out, the day when the :black101: truly never ends.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Skunkrocker posted:

I just beat the game.

End guy was tough.

...now what?

Hard mode, you know you wanna.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

If this game needs to be criticized its for this poo poo right here. so many frustrations trying to continue a combo with this

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Am I the Miami Mutilator????????

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anatharon posted:

I don't know much about US geography but would nukes on Miami hit Hawaii?
Hawaii is thousands of miles away in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so no.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Lolling at the "did you even play/like/ace the first" in response to people's valid complaints. I guess I must have just stumbled my way into 100% completion of HLM1 since I have issues with the level design of the second

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ledgy posted:

Hard mode, you know you wanna.

Good point. What's the difference between Normal and Hard anyway?

You know, someone is probably going to make a mod that let's you play through any level as any character and maybe let's you play through the original Hotline Miami again as any character and include all of those masks and include all of the Biker stuff too.

They're all going to get recreated in the level editor anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It feels a lot like the devs made a list of every idea they had for a sequel (follow Richter, reporter/detective crazypeople story, the fans, the son, Jake for no darn reason) and then decided to do all of them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

So uh I guess 50 Blessings plans didn't work out because Richter apparently got nuked too, in Hawaii. Unless it's supposed to be film degrading or something.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Well I just cleared what I guess is the last Soldier's mission (the power plant) and you know what? This might be unpopular but it was fine. I liked all the soldier missions. Even the first map which SEEMS blatantly unfair at the start isn't bad once you get the timing down, the timing is just really, really narrow.

While some enemies move around randomly it seems like the patrol routes are exactly the same timing every time you play the map. I think that's where S ranking is going to come in for these, figuring out the exact order of actions to keep your combo going. If anything there's less random chance involved in the soldier's missions.

Also, after the mission telling your buddy whose life you just saved that it's on the house :unsmith:

And then, after THAT, uh... was that a nuke? Did miami get nuked? what the gently caress? :stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What was with the Duke Nukem guy anyway? The guy that shoots Jake.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's talking head sprites for biker guy in the game files, anyone know how to meet him?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Skunkrocker posted:

Good point. What's the difference between Normal and Hard anyway?

DIfferent enemies, no lock on, enemies sense you easier.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

tower of druaga posted:

There's talking head sprites for biker guy in the game files, anyone know how to meet him?

In the intro before the Subway stage, when you're in the author's house, check your answering machine. After that, finish the subway level normally and you'll go and meet the Biker.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The power plant level isn't nearly as bad as it seems at first once you realize that A) the play area is actually pretty narrow and B) there's a LOT of available cover.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Anatharon posted:

So uh I guess 50 Blessings plans didn't work out because Richter apparently got nuked too, in Hawaii. Unless it's supposed to be film degrading or something.

No, it's definitely the nuke, but I think the idea goes further than that. Think about another popular franchise with a nuclear war started with Communists, Fallout. It's all part of the 50 Blessing's plans. Sadly, we don't get to know what those plans are, but I think they want to keep the war going, nuke or no nuke. War profiteering, industrial complex, etc etc etc. Layers of loving symbolism here. Social commentary. Get your tumblr accounts ready.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ledgy posted:

HAHAHAHA GO gently caress YOURSELF :suicide:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Just finished this, enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than the first part.

I have some pointers for people who are struggling that are perhaps more productive than git gut.

Approach each board as a puzzle. This is one of the reasons I like this one more than the first one, there is a lot of variety to the levels. Study your surroundings with Shift and figure out what the challenge of the board is.

Some examples for the basic challenges you face:

Normal rear end levels. Just kill everyone.

There are many gunners, you start out with a melee weapon. The first few enemies are usually all melee. The gunners are generally positioned so you can't just sneak up on them. Your goal is to to find a way to safely kill a gunner and get his weapon. Once you have a gun this becomes a normal rear end level. The easiest way to come out on top is to take care of the first batch of melee dudes than briefly show yourself to a gunner to lead him into a trap.

You're thrown into a frantic situation right off the bat. Several enemies are storming at you the moment you enter the level, or your only approach is to burst into a room that contains either several normal enemies or a specific composition of special enemies. Your goal is to figure out how to survive the initial onslaught it becomes a normal rear end level.

Not-vietnam. The challenge is to ration your ammo so you can either reach the ammo depots or kill everyone you will not be able to knife before you run out (not all boards have an ammo dump). Once you unlock it use the sniper rifle. It kils everyone with one shot and makes these levels stupidly easy as you can kill everyone from so far away most likely nobody will react, then just mop up the rest with your knife.

Mask levels. These are designed with the specific mask in mind. For the bear just get the most value out of your starting guns, then continue the levels as normal. For the ducks try to position yourself in such a way that your invulnerable gun duck buddy can shoot people while you stand behind a wall. To have gun duck pick up a specific weapon have him empty his clip then make him run over the desired gun. Zebra can dodge roll I suppose. Never necessary, just play as normal. Tiger just pace yourself and punch dudes.

Special enemy levels. Some enemies require specific tools. Map out the areas you will need specific weapons for, then figure out where you can get them. This determines your path through the level.

Nonlethal weapons. Just make sure you never, ever, ever accidentally pick up a gun.

Some general tips:

Try to visualize the board as several distinct zones. Generally you want to find an area that, due to its layout, will likely stay safe once you clear it out. If you get overwhelmed later on, you can fall back to these areas and set up an ambush.

Windows hurt the enemy more than you. You can see much further than them. Figure out good angles and murder as many people as you can from absolute safety.

On the flipside doors are often your enemy. It's usually better to wait till an enemy has passed a door then pop out and whack him rather than knocking him down with the door. This is because doors will sometimes spazz out and keep knocking people over leading to situations where it can be hard to tell who is actually dead and who is merely downed.

Grow a pair. If there's four dudes in a small room burst in there and gently caress them up.

Don't be scared to throw your weapon, even a loaded firearm, at a pair of enemies. Kill the second guy then finish off the downed one. Ammo conserved.

If you find yourself being killed when engaging a single enemy, you seriously need to git good cause there is no reason at all you should ever die to a single enemy.

Be aware of who you're fighting.
Normal dudes: No threat whatsoever
Dogs: Require a weapon. Firearms trivialize them but they are fairly easy to kill with melee despite their speed.
Fatmen: Require a Firearm. They will die to a single shot after a few seconds, but it is often safer to instakill them with a shotgun blast. Fatman will generally melee you, although they can rarely have firearms.
Cover gunners: Require a Firearm. Expose yourself until they begin to stand up, pop off some rounds and go back to cover.
Stranglers/Columbian Samurai: Require a melee weapon. As they're completely immune to bulelts somehow. Make sure you have a melee weapon on hand when they aggro you, these dudes are fast as hell.

If you find yourself getting frustrated with a level put the thought of beating it aside and instead focus on figuring out a rampage path, as in an approach that will let you kill 10 people in the first 10 seconds of the board. You can almost always find one. Once you have that down you will be left with only half a level to beat. This helped me a great deal on the one or two occasions I was starting to feel a bit frustrated.

Pick up the right weapon for the job. If you want to draw enemies into a killzone, use the AK as it is very loud and has a high rate of fire. Shotguns also work but are risky due to the high latency between shots. If you're trying not to draw out too many people use pistols or a smg.

Use the middle mouse button to lock on to an enemy while looking around with shift. This is useful to pop out of cover and kill a single guy.

Hope this helps.

Finally, some suggestions for alternative comedy thread titles:

The Prequel to Nuclear Throne
Press Space for Hard Mode
It's a Metaphor for the Atomic Bomb

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 11, 2015

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I don't feel this is much of a spoiler but don't read if you haven't beaten Scene 4 somehow by this point.

The conceit of Midnight Animal is dropped too quickly. The game feels a little bloated conceptually as it is but I felt it was underutilized as a framing device overall.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god gently caress this boat level. On the fourth section and no matter what I do all the guys in three North rooms keep charging down and hose me with machine gun fire, even if I'm using a silenced weapon and nobody else has noticed me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Accordion Man posted:

I think the idea is mutually assured destruction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The black dogs on a black floor and the infinite range instant react submachine guns from outside your viewing range in the sewers is some quality design.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Haha oh man the opening to the first Richter level was loving great. I died once, saw how I died, went waaaaaaaaaaaait a minute :unsmigghh: and then a couple tries later 15x combo and then a stroll up the stairs to do it again!

E:

RBA Starblade posted:

The black dogs on a black floor and the infinite range submachine guns from outside your viewing range in the sewers is some quality design.

There's not a lot you can do about the dogs but if you're getting hit with guns from that far away, at least in that level, it means you're approaching the enemies from the wrong direction. Change your route, or pop out from behind a corner for a second to lure them to you.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The black dogs on a black floor and the infinite range instant react submachine guns from outside your viewing range in the sewers is some quality design.

Please enjoy future levels

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meiteron posted:

There's not a lot you can do about the dogs but if you're getting hit with guns from that far away, at least in that level, it means you're approaching the enemies from the wrong direction. Change your route, or pop out from behind a corner for a second to lure them to you.

There's literally one direction to come from. The real problem though is i chose the bear mask so I have twenty bullets to kill two gunners three dogs and a fat guy. I can use the smgs (well one, the right one doesn't hurt anything) to take out the first guy and dog, grab the shotgun, empty it into the rest, then from there it's a crapshoot since noise is almost random and a guy who didn't react the last four attempts in the exact same manner did this time.

Why is this a cover shooter now anyway?

e: Oh I see a second way, I thought that was a wall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I don't feel this is much of a spoiler but don't read if you haven't beaten Scene 4 somehow by this point.

The conceit of Midnight Animal is dropped too quickly. The game feels a little bloated conceptually as it is but I felt it was underutilized as a framing device overall.

Midnight Animals is sort of a microcosm for the story as a whole. It's a slasher flick based on the Hotline Murders popularized by Jacket, but over time the Pig Actor starts using his performances as a stand-in for his growing need to actually butcher people. He's having psychotic breaks by the last scene and is probably set to start killing people for real afterwards - except then he's shot dead when a prop gun is swapped out for a real one, presumably by the Director, who was using the movie to act out his own fantasies. The same later happens to the whole of Miami, with the Fans, the Son, Jake, the Detective, and others killing and killing until someone more motivated kills them instead. When everyone's a killer, that means everyone is a victim.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 11, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Do some of you dudes have some weird rear end display settings or something? I've seen the 'dogs/guys in dark suits on dark backgrounds' complaint a surprising few times now and it's like, I had no real issue seeing any of them so I don't know what the deal is. :shrug:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Meiteron posted:

Well I just cleared what I guess is the last Soldier's mission (the power plant) and you know what? This might be unpopular but it was fine. I liked all the soldier missions. Even the first map which SEEMS blatantly unfair at the start isn't bad once you get the timing down, the timing is just really, really narrow.

While some enemies move around randomly it seems like the patrol routes are exactly the same timing every time you play the map. I think that's where S ranking is going to come in for these, figuring out the exact order of actions to keep your combo going. If anything there's less random chance involved in the soldier's missions.

Also, after the mission telling your buddy whose life you just saved that it's on the house :unsmith:

And then, after THAT, uh... was that a nuke? Did miami get nuked? what the gently caress? :stare:

I've seen people saying soldier guy was actually nuked in San Francisco when the U.S. lost the war but I wasn't paying enough attention to the dates and locations to notice at the time. So the idea is that the guy he saved in Hawaii was Jacket who went crazy killing Russians in HM1 for revenge. Which was why he kept seeing soldier guy in hallucinations throughout that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Ledgy posted:

Wait? Lock on?

• Locked thread