Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Interesting. Diddy was my third favorite character

I'm sorry that you have been cursed with such a burden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

9.0 classic with one death. Honestly the hardest part is Master/Crazy, not even lying. The rest have patterns. Master/Crazy can be quick and random when they want to be. I can do this.

Were you successful? What character did you use?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I did it but died once to the damned hands. The platforms attack followed immediately by the wind/ice attack is tough to get by.

I was using Ike with home run bat, quick batter, and auto heal. You lose the bat for the hand battle so it's mostly to take out all the matches leading up to it. I'm thinking about setting up a bat Dedede since I don't think there's anyone who makes the Master stuff easier.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, Gordo Throw completely destroys most of Master Core, including the hands. I used him to do Classic 9 without customs and it was definitely the right choice.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the best way to get gud at this game?

Outside of getting my rear end kicked by better players anyway, using Zero Suit Samus right now cause I like her speed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alteisen posted:

Outside of getting my rear end kicked by better players anyway, using Zero Suit Samus right now cause I like her speed.

Watch videos of better players, roll less, get your rear end kicked by same skill players who are better at a specific thing.

Joking aside on the last one, the most important thing to getting better is playing people who aren't notably below your level while also focusing on actually improving. Like sure you'll eventually get better if you just play 6 hours a day for a year, but you can speed that up a fair bit by noticing what you're doing wrong (or what other people are doing right) and changing. The best way to do this is to watch your replays, but you can also just say "ok, this round, I'm going to work on rolling less" and then consciously try to spot dodge or block instead of rolling.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXcf4CGF5c8

If only.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

looks like poo poo and ridley would never in a million years work as a playable character.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
All jokes aside, Ridley is actually way too big to be in Smash.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

You have to really think about what you're doing, if not during the game then afterwards. It's really easy to just go autopilot and fall into a flowcharty playstyle well maybe this only happens when youre high or drunk when you play but those are my experiences anyway

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Ruggington posted:

I'm sorry that you have been cursed with such a burden

We all must make sacrifices and rise above our own expectations sometimes.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Wait, that's definitely Brawl, not Wii U

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Chaltab posted:

I love the weird rendering resolution because their computer couldn't run Dolphin and the screen recorder at native res :3:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Chaltab posted:

I think it's the same guy who made that really goofy video with the Little Mac. It's a modified Brawl to make it look like Smash 4.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
So what you're saying is that Project B has begun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I do not like Super Smash Bros. 4 on a competitive level. I find it shallow and that it rewards very basic strategies that do not allow for deeper interaction with an opponent, and I also feel "that even combos are jammed or not so meaningful. I personally greatly enjoy deep, intense interaction and the ability to play at a variety of speeds and still be effective. I do not believe Smash 4 has that potential, unfortunately. It can be fine for those willing to learn very specific skillsets, but I think there is much greater reward in learning the depth of Melee."
- PPMD

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"deeper interaction with an opponent"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

While I respect all games and everyone's choice of game, I think Smash 4 is way more enjoyable to watch. Melee, I feel, is overrated. The action has no weight, and the over-reliance on aerials makes it aesthetically look like a faster six-button fighting game with only two buttons. Death is meaningless when you have four lives, the only life that matters is the last one. The pace of Smash 4, and the weight of the hits, as well as the tension of a two-stock meta, is much more appealing to watch.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
My gripe with smash is that Fast characters have way too much damage and Heavy ones don't deal enough to counteract their strengths/weaknesses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

My gripe with smash is that Fast characters have way too much damage and Heavy ones don't deal enough to counteract their strengths/weaknesses.

I think fast characters deal appropriate damage, but heavy ones need to deal significantly more. Additionally "heavy" doesn't need to mean "everything is slow," just that their general movement is slower and they're big targets/easier to combo - Heavy characters need several fast options as well, such as Zangief's SPD in street fighter. Bowser's melee grounded up-B or DK's old nair are good examples of this.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I think Ganondorf hits hard enough, or at least really close, to making up for his lack of speed. He's still really slow but goddamn does he really destroy people that have like 60-70% with one power move.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Dizz posted:

Heavy characters feel like they're in a weird place where their attacks have enough knockback to reliably hit your opponent out of follow-up range, but not enough knockback that they will reliably kill toward higher percents.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

TheKingofSprings posted:

I do not like Super Smash Bros. 4 on a competitive level. I find it shallow and that it rewards very basic strategies that do not allow for deeper interaction with an opponent, and I also feel "that even combos are jammed or not so meaningful. I personally greatly enjoy deep, intense interaction and the ability to play at a variety of speeds and still be effective. I do not believe Smash 4 has that potential, unfortunately. It can be fine for those willing to learn very specific skillsets, but I think there is much greater reward in learning the depth of Melee."
- PPMD

Who's PPMD

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
He's currently the best Melee player in the world.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Maple Leaf posted:

He's currently the best Melee player in the world.

sounds like a huge nerd

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How Rude posted:

sounds like a huge nerd

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
how wude

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I love how expressive this game can be

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

This owns

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Reiley posted:

I love how expressive this game can be

It's great how Pikachu's eyes become spirals if you break his shield, DK's eyes pop out when you punch him, or Ganondorf smirks whenever you land his side-B.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Chakram posted:

So what you're saying is that Project B has begun.
Wouldn't that be Project F? Project 4?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Wouldn't that be Project F? Project 4?

Project Make My Mains Good

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Project D[iddy]

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Parasite Ike: 3rd Birthday

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The Ridley mod is making progress, but that Other M model still looks ugly as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39QYYVkM70Y

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
He's too big. It's like playing Goro in Mortal Kombat Trilogy. It's not fair. It's not a contest. He's too big. Fart

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Louisgod posted:

He's too big. It's like playing Goro in Mortal Kombat Trilogy. It's not fair. It's not a contest. He's too big. Fart
Given that there's no sense of scale in the video, I assume he is Jigglypuff-sized.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Make Ridley Pichu sized.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Mini Meta Ridley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted: