Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PresidentBeard posted:

I'm guessing gamersgate will be taken seriously right about the same time we see people punished for stalking Chris-chan, as it's pretty much identical crimes and motives for the more elaborate stunts. The people mostly in it for sexism/"ethics in games journalism" seem to mostly stick to making angry youtube videos and shouting in comments, which isn't illegal, despite being appalling human beings.

True, but just going after some of them would kick the entire hornets nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

True, but just going after some of them would kick the entire hornets nest.

It would but it seems like stalking period isn't taken seriously let alone stalking on the internet.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Annointed posted:

Also Briannu Wu has got a Congresswoman on her side and that politician wishes to help her out regarding law enforcement's callousness to her plight.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/10/massachusetts-congresswoman-urges-fbi-to-take-gamergate-seriously/

Ughhh. I'm all for stopping the doxxing and stupid poo poo that's been going on during this whole thing, but man did I wish she would talk with someone other than Brianna. You don't want someone like her representing anything really.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

PresidentBeard posted:

It would but it seems like stalking period isn't taken seriously let alone stalking on the internet.

Most Internet celebrity stalking incidents haven't included most of the factors law enforcement use to determine if a stalker is likely to become violent, but it's only a matter of time until somebody gets hurt.

(Source: I spent four years representing people in restraining order cases.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PresidentBeard posted:

I'm guessing gamersgate will be taken seriously right about the same time we see people punished for stalking Chris-chan, as it's pretty much identical crimes and motives for the more elaborate stunts. The people mostly in it for sexism/"ethics in games journalism" seem to mostly stick to making angry youtube videos and shouting in comments, which isn't illegal, despite being appalling human beings.

Sure, I once went on the CWCki forums, where I learned that their second favourite target after CWC is SJWs.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Asuron posted:

Ughhh. I'm all for stopping the doxxing and stupid poo poo that's been going on during this whole thing, but man did I wish she would talk with someone other than Brianna. You don't want someone like her representing anything really.

Care to expand on this?

I'm seeing a politician reaching out to a constituent (high profile though she may be) and using her as an example of the consequences of lovely behaviour and the subsequent need to confront it. This sounds all-in-all like a good thing way overdue.

Why is Brianna a bad choice? Bearing in mind that literally all I know about her is that she is a target of a group of assholes.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Asuron posted:

Whether or not your beef with Brianna Wu is legitimate, (and I'm not saying either way, all I really know about her is that gamergaters hate her, one was stopped by the police driving to her house with a weapon, and her game looks hideous) she definitely doesn't deserve the level of hate that's been sent her way.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, I once went on the CWCki forums, where I learned that their second favourite target after CWC is SJWs.

Given that they cheered Chris's Dad who was on the KKK and they had a section entirely devoted to the "monthly tugboat", this isn't exactly a big surprise.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

senae posted:

Whether or not your beef with Brianna Wu is legitimate, (and I'm not saying either way, all I really know about her is that gamergaters hate her, one was stopped by the police driving to her house with a weapon, and her game looks hideous) she definitely doesn't deserve the level of hate that's been sent her way.

Don't have a beef with her because the whole thing is stupid and I agree noone deserves any of this bullshit. Just don't think she's the right person to choose in this considering all the nonsense I've seen her spout.

KayTee posted:

Care to expand on this?

I'm seeing a politician reaching out to a constituent (high profile though she may be) and using her as an example of the consequences of lovely behaviour and the subsequent need to confront it. This sounds all-in-all like a good thing way overdue.

Why is Brianna a bad choice? Bearing in mind that literally all I know about her is that she is a target of a group of assholes.

Alright so we've got this as an example of the kind thing I have a problem with (she's spacekatgal).

https://archive.today/kQA6b#selection-8487.0-8487.65

Gets called out on bad code for a subreddit where they make fun of bad code. Accuses the poster and subreddit of being sexists and bullies because they criticized it.

Then we've got another example where last month she claimed PAX was gonna be sarin gassed by a GGer and posted the edited image of him saying it on twitter. Turns out that wasn't true at all, it was written in October and it was in fact someone supporting her who said they should gas any GGers there. Considering she took the time to post the image and edit it I can't believe she was doing anything except trying to cause issues that didn't exist.
http://theralphretort.com/wp-content/uploads/nAxgNCD.png

Whenever I see GG bullshit blow up again, alot of the time it's something like this, where when I look into it, it turns out she lied or said something stupid and accused people of being sexist when they called her out on it. That's why I don't like that the politician is reaching out to her instead of someone like Anita or Zoe, because I'm just not into supporting people like her.

Christ that was too many words on GG.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
^^^ e: Thanks. ^^^

ee: Ugh that Archived reddit - for every post pointing out the problem there's three more hating on her purely for being a woman.

It's not hard too see how that environment could gently caress with your perspective. I could give her at least some leeway for that.

Kunster posted:

Given that they cheered Chris's Dad who was on the KKK and they had a section entirely devoted to the "monthly tugboat", this isn't exactly a big surprise.

Ehhh at the risk of gobbing off about poo poo I know nothing about - Pa Chandler being in the KKK was literally the cherry on the cake of how ridiculous and dysfunctional that family was/is rather than that being the reason for him being a fan favourite. And SJWs were a different beast back then too - I always assumed the term referred to 'end fursecution' or 'why I should have 'Sepheroth' listed on my birth certificate' type loonies and using it as a byword for feminist/woman with an opinion is a thing that only recently started happening.

Feel free to correct me. I was only a bemused observer at the time.

For the record I have always hated the treatment Chris-chan received - even before the utterly indefensible 'Bluespike' poo poo, and have never bought into the whole "well he's (CWC) a scumbag who does and says scumbag things so it's karma, bitch" excuse used by the folks on Cwicki. Chris would be a hell a less hosed up if not for all that twisted 'enabling/trolling'.

But at the same time - goddamn if it isn't fascinating.

It's me I'm the hypocrite doomed for hell.

VVV Bluespike wad the 12 y/o (i think he was under 16 at least) who blackmailed Chris into shoving his medallion up his rear end.

It was such a big deal that 4chan genuinely become self aware for a second and actually took steps to reign it in VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 11, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KayTee posted:

For the record I have always hated the treatment Chris-chan received - even before the utterly indefensible 'Bluespike' poo poo, and have never bought into the whole "well he's (CWC) a scumbag who does and says scumbag things so it's karma, bitch" excuse used by the folks on Cwicki. Chris would be a hell a less hosed up if not for all that twisted 'enabling/trolling'.

But at the same time - goddamn if it isn't fascinating.

It's me I'm the hypocrite doomed for hell.

Was the bluespike thing the incident involving him getting arrested when he threw a shitfit in a retail store of a sonic figure?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Asuron posted:

Don't have a beef with her because the whole thing is stupid and I agree noone deserves any of this bullshit. Just don't think she's the right person to choose in this considering all the nonsense I've seen her spout.

Woman was wrong a few times, must never be allowed to speak again. Maybe she should just shut up and take it!

It's always a bit of a dickish thing to say that no one is allowed to complain unless they're a literal saint, let's not go down that path. She shouldn't be getting the poo poo she is, even if she says silly things now and then.

Fans fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 11, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Fans posted:

Woman was wrong a few times, must never be allowed to speak again. Maybe she should just shut up and take it!

It's always a bit of a dickish thing to say that no one is allowed to complain unless they're a literal saint, let's not go down that path. She shouldn't be getting the poo poo she is, even if she says silly things now and then.

That's not what I said. At all. I mean even what you quoted me in, I said she doesn't deserve the harrassment she's gotten despite the nonsense she occasionally says

I said the politician contacting her should use someone else because she has a history of doing those type of things (I only gave two examples, there's way more stuff than what I gave as an example). The problem is that it makes it really easy to question everything she claims when she does stuff like that and that's not the type of person you want representing people who are getting harrassed because it undermines efforts to get it recognised as an actual issue.

I also really want to stop talking about GG now, the whole thing is really, really dumb.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nobody's saying Brianna Wu can't complain, try reading next time.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Fans posted:

You are seriously reaching here.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't want to read about gamergate again and again. God.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Asuron posted:

I said the politician contacting her should use someone else because she has a history of doing those type of things

But who? I mean is there really some kind of pure, unspoiled victim who's never got pissed off at the endless harassment and said something stupid?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Anita Sarkeesian

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
These men are pawns.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

DStecks posted:

Anita Sarkeesian

Point! Though I'm sure someone would be able to quote mine her too.

I just don't feel that Wu shouldn't be allowed to represent because she got something wrong on twitter and felt it was sexist for bad code to be picking over a dumb twitter joke. She's had plenty of her poo poo thrown her way, she's more than qualified to talk about it. Sorry, if went OTT on this one.

Meanwhile in INTERNET CRITICS, been plugging through Matthewmatosis and rather enjoying that. There any critics out there who do game reviews in a timely manner though? Or should I just stick to the forums for that one?

Fans fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 11, 2015

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: 0 Days Since The Last Discussion of GamerGate

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
He's not even a woman lol

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

PiedPiper posted:

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: 0 Days Since The Last Discussion of GamerGate

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.2.3.4.4.2.3: And

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

For the love of God, this needs to be the new thread title. :allears:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DoombatINC posted:

The best idea.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

KayTee posted:

And SJWs were a different beast back then too - I always assumed the term referred to 'end fursecution' or 'why I should have 'Sepheroth' listed on my birth certificate' type loonies and using it as a byword for feminist/woman with an opinion is a thing that only recently started happening.

The problem with SJW as a term is that it covers everything on a spectrum from "activist for feminism/gay rights/antiracism" to "seriously believes they should be cared for because they are a flying dog and a toddler and thus cannot work." It has no actual meaning for any objective observer, since everyone has their own personal definition attached to it. I've seen people with relatively sane opinions apply it to themselves. I've seen it applied to people who think pronouns should be like hairstyles and gently caress you if you don't memorize my new one RIGHT NOW. I've seen it applied to regular, everyday, mild feminism. There's just no way to figure out without further context what definition anybody's using- even in a discussion where everyone should presumably be on the same page as far as terms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah a lot of that spawns from the term being co-opted from Tumblr, when before Gamergate it seemed mostly aimed at people who were the kind you mentioned, taking offense about the most minor of things.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Brianna Wu is, like Zoe Quinn, an actually bad person that people use to fuel their GamerGate bullshit. Somehow Kotaku gave her game this review. She should be heavily critizised but even on issues that blatant GamerGate can't help but be take the wrong side and jump down the "SJWs are corrupting our games, harass the loving whores" well.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 11, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And hence why it's a perfect trojan horse to dismiss legitmate complaints inside. Kinda like how for years savvy bigots figured that if they put their issues with lgbt folk and poor folk under the "lol furries" banner, folk wouldn't wise up and go "Wait a minute these issues are not related to digging animal people, what the heck."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Anita is probably the best person for it right now. People's anger at her for explaining really basic elements of gender studies classes is hilarious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PresidentBeard posted:

Anita is probably the best person for it right now. People's anger at her for explaining really basic elements of gender studies classes is hilarious.

Yeah, the rage towards her has always been entirely baseless.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PresidentBeard posted:

The most fascinating thing to me is any time she says anything or does any video the usual suspects (MundaneMatt, Sargon of Akkad, etc) feel this absolute need to answer and dismantle every single one. I just don't understand it. There's lots of people I disagree with and I usually shrug and move on or make a snarky post somewhere about it but I don't know why people have this need to destroy feminism any time it crops up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I stopped paying attention to the whole thing, to be honest. Anita does her thing and while I don't agree with some things she says the underlining message is a good one. The whole Zoe Quinn thing is just a he said she said they said you said I said bunch of speculation and nonsense. The only thing about Brianna Wu I know of is that she got doxxed, which was horrible and people who did it garbage, and she got really mad at Giantbomb and wrote a shitload of stuff about them for a while for not hiring a woman. Though, she does seem like the wrong person to turn to as a figure head. She preaches against privileged but then turns around and says her parents gave her 200k to start up a graphic studio, without a hint of irony or self-awareness. I got a laugh out of that.

All said and done, I think this video sums it up pretty good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only person I can even mildly muster that much anger at is Moviebob and even then only enough to mock it with friends. Putting up a camera, editing, and uploading a video is a lot of work. How would you hold onto anger while going through with the technical details?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Tracula posted:

The most fascinating thing to me is any time she says anything or does any video the usual suspects (MundaneMatt, Sargon of Akkad, etc) feel this absolute need to answer and dismantle every single one. I just don't understand it. There's lots of people I disagree with and I usually shrug and move on or make a snarky post somewhere about it but I don't know why people have this need to destroy feminism any time it crops up.

Oh, I can think of a good reason.

Sargon's videos have always been total garbage by the way. They're the worst sort of 'analysis' where they literally watch the video they're criticising, pause it as they go, and then cut to a still image and rant for a while about a subject they know nothing about and asking very simple questions. I saw one where he paused Emma Watson talking about wage equality to talk about how she wants to destroy the free market. They're not even funny-bad like Aurini because they go on for what feels like hours. The only seriously funny thing is that he has a LinkedIn and the only job experience is two years on a 'game company' he started, that made no games.

I remember him making the argument that GG is not about Sarkeesian...when the first videos on his channel are all about calling her an idiot who doesn't understand humans. It's that lovely cycle of denial. It's not about Anita Sarkeesian, but she's an idiot bitch and wants to destroy men by the way!

I'd love to meet one person who both understands Anita's point or at least intelligently disagrees with it and supports GG. Never found one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey news flash bad people are still protected by US law and don't deserve to have their rights violated.

They were just a couple of songwriters, who came to Ishtar to break into show business.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Hbomberguy posted:

Oh, I can think of a good reason.

I always wonder who watches these things, let alone pays to have them made. I just can't imagine someone sitting through one. Even if they 100% agreed with every word they said and desperately needed to validate that viewpoint, there's other crazy people on the internet who'll get to the point much quicker surely?

Hell the fact you apparently have Hbomberguy makes me doubt your very existence.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Supporting any hashtag "activism" is evidence of brain injury even if it wasn't as monumentally stupid as ethics in games journalism. If a group is anyone who writes something into a tweet, that isn't a group. It's a chant and is on the same level as bumper sticker slogans. Twitter "movements" are the dumbest things about our generation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
[Sargon's Patreon]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Can we get the federal government to go after Xbox chat threats next? I feel my mother is in grave danger of being raped and killed.

• Locked thread