Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Rinkles posted:

It's probably because it's the one I played w/ most, but there's something very archetypal of old magic in the Saga Duress.

This is the best Duress art, gently caress the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm glad to see statue buddy got a good job in this timeline. :allears:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

I hope this is Taigam's art, assuming he gets a card that is...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

The best discard spell art is clearly

This isn't even a question.

Anyone who disputes this is the wrongest

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Gensuki posted:

Hm, he does look like he's scheming.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gensuki posted:

He's probably getting a card, given that he's the Ojutai Mediator, like how Zurgo is for Kolaghan and Sidisi is for Silumgar.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So is this guy a giant skeleton with normal human skulls on his necklace, or a normal sized human skeleton with, what, little monkey skulls on his necklace?

Maybe he died in the swamp on his way back from the halloween store.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

So is this guy a giant skeleton with normal human skulls on his necklace, or a normal sized human skeleton with, what, little monkey skulls on his necklace?

He's had those little skulls on his necklass for more than a thousand years!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lancelot posted:

He's had those little skulls on his necklass for more than a thousand years!

Very durable halloween accessories

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Very durable halloween accessories

They're always sayin' how plastic doesn't decompose so it's bad for the environment and poo poo.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My favourite discard spell art is this one:

Too bad the actual card sucks. I've already said that I wish all discard effects in Magic involved putting the cards on the bottom of your library instead, but they'd have to be costed as aggressively as the current discard effects.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

New

Entropic posted:

New Necrons shaping up nicely.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Anyone who disputes this is the wrongest

It is you who is the wrongest.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

these will go great in my box o' rox EDH deck

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Entropic posted:

The best discard spell art is clearly

This isn't even a question.

No see this art owns.

Toshimo posted:

So mad we're going back to Zendikar and will never get a return to Lorwyn.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What are the chances they have allied fetches replace the land slot on occasion again

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

dragon enthusiast posted:

What are the chances they have allied fetches replace the land slot on occasion again

None, because that would keep fetches in rotation. DTK is a different "block" for rotation purposes.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Minor story crap from Doug Beyer's tumblr:

quote:

quote:

Q:Doug, didn't the Duels 2012 intro cinematic say that Gideon came from a world long since destroyed? If he came from Theros, is this statement incorrect, was he talking about the Shard he planeswalked to, another Plane entirely, or has his past been retconed?
serraangel107
The Duels 2012 intro video is cool-looking, but it is not, and never was, canon. It was made without the input of the Creative Team, and all the dialogue and events in it are not considered true in the story. We’re sorry that it causes confusion, and it’s awkward that it’s out there that way, but that’s where we are.

(That trailer resulted in a bunch of changes for how video trailers were made here at Wizards. Guidance of the Magic storyline across different media was kind of… in disarray at the time. We’re in a much better place now.)

Gideon’s backstory in Magic Origins will build on what’s said in other sources, such as the novel The Purifying Fire.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Late comment on this, but that is an aggressive MTG card.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Surrak sucks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, that's like a level beyond suck. Not even loving trample? Creatures are uncounterable if you have Formidable? Jesus.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

I disagree. He's a fatty that will typically have haste and give everyone else haste, could be a solid curve-topper in some kind of green aggro deck. We'll see if he finds a place.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah Surrak seems fine. Im sure on turn 3-4 you'll have 8 power on board and he can just give himself haste

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

At least he's 5/4 for 4. Besides that yeah he's kind of lame. Not bad, just boring.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

Fishbrick is the best art period.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Is it the watermark or does that say it instead of if?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
A lot of the time Surrak will just be a 5/4 haste for 4, since having 3 power by turn 4 is not a whole lot to ask.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bugsy posted:

Is it the watermark or does that say it instead of if?

It's the watermark.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

5/4 often with haste for 4 that gives every subsequent creature haste seems good not terrible?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Wezlar posted:

5/4 often with haste for 4 that gives every subsequent creature haste seems good not terrible?

No, it's win-more bullshit that will literally never have any effect in a game that you weren't going to win without it anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chamale posted:

I disagree. He's a fatty that will typically have haste and give everyone else haste, could be a solid curve-topper in some kind of green aggro deck. We'll see if he finds a place.

Not in a standard with Polukranos.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
No Trample? Meh. He'll be chumped 99% of the time.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Surrak seems fine. Im sure on turn 3-4 you'll have 8 power on board and he can just give himself haste

...Not sure if you're being sarcastic or missing that he has 5 power, so really his ability says "if other creatures you control have 3 or more power[...]"

Elvish mystic> piker/mana dork piker> surrak is a pretty powerful start.

EDIT: VV There aren't any good creatures with their own trample huh? That sucks...

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 11, 2015

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

You know, I could imagine him as a one of in mono-green devotion. Once you have an absence amount of mana, you could cast him and your dudes in hand for game.

If only he gave trample.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Hello, old friend. It's good to see you again.

The last time I saw Duress was 7th Edition and I didn't realize how often they reprinted it during my break from MTG after 8th Edition up till JOU. But I have a lot of nostalgia for when Urza's Saga was new.

I try not to think about 7th Edition.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

No, it's win-more bullshit that will literally never have any effect in a game that you weren't going to win without it anyway.

I can't even tell who is being sarcastic in this thread :psyduck:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fiend Computer posted:

You know, I could imagine him as a one of in mono-green devotion. Once you have an absence amount of mana, you could cast him and your dudes in hand for game.

If only he gave trample.

He only gives 1 target haste.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gensuki posted:

...Not sure if you're being sarcastic or missing that he has 5 power, so really his ability says "if other creatures you control have 3 or more power[...]"

Elvish mystic> piker/mana dork piker> surrak is a pretty powerful start.

EDIT: VV There aren't any good creatures with their own trample huh? That sucks...

I did not miss his 5 power but probably should have just phrased it better. I meant that when you play him on 3-4 you'll have 8 power.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Devor posted:

He only gives 1 target haste.

Oh crap I assumed it was a global effect. Never mind then, I don't actually like him that much. He's still good as a hasty 5/4 though.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Elvish mystic, rattleclaw, surrak seems pretty ok, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Thats a lot of power really quickly and you can play Paul Kranos afterwards and it'll have haste

• Locked thread