Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You joke but that's not too far from the actual truth. AJ is seen as something of a rallying call for the Golden Path and his presence spurs them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

After having seen the AI-companion system of Revelations I have to ask, is there even a single person left that worked on resident evil 4&5? 4 had it down to perfection, an AI-partner that wouldn't get in your way that you could literally stuff into a garbage bin if you wanted too. 5 had to make some concessions due to the CO-OP but at least the AI had weapons so it could help somewhat. Revelations 2 on the other hand is just a bug-loving retarded combination of the two.

"Lets have an AI companion which will run into danger while being unable to help in any matter or form" :downs:

The game in total seems to be a huge improvement over 5&6 but god drat...

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Mar 9, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Xoidanor posted:

After having seen the AI-companion system of Revelations I have to, is there even a single person left that worked on resident evil 4&5? 4 had it down to perfection, an AI-partner that wouldn't get in your way that you could literally stuff into a garbage bin if you wanted too. 5 had to make some concessions due to the CO-OP but at least the AI had weapons so it could help somewhat. Revelations 2 on the other hand is just a bug-loving retarded combination of the two.

"Lets have an AI companion which will run into danger while being unable to help in any matter or form" :downs:

The game in total seems to be a huge improvement over 5&6 but god drat...

Yeah, REV2 seems like a train wreck. Your AI partner WILL die if you don't take control of them. I lost to the first, single enemy in chapter 2 because AI cannot evade attacks reliably.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Just started playing Starbound a few days ago, and goddamn does this game have a too much stuff in it. My home is 90% storage lockers by now and about 45 minutes out of every hour of playtime is spent zipping back an forth between base, ship and whatever planet I'm currently exploring. I just can't help picking up every little odd block, cool piece of furniture or random equipment and chucking it into some deep, dark hole where I'll never look at it again. This game is loving killing me.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Holy poo poo is Xenoverse heavily RNG based. I just want to get some stupid outfits from the dragonballs I don't need both a random chance for the Time Patroller to show up AND a random chance for them to drop a bloody dragonball to gate me getting to play dressups. :(

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pidmon posted:

Holy poo poo is Xenoverse heavily RNG based. I just want to get some stupid outfits from the dragonballs I don't need both a random chance for the Time Patroller to show up AND a random chance for them to drop a bloody dragonball to gate me getting to play dressups. :(

Even better, the more you have the harder it is to get the remaining ones since, as far as anyone can tell, you have a 50% chance to get a roll followed by a 1 in 7 chance of getting a specific dragon ball. Roll one you already got? Have another hercule badge instead and sell it for maybe a third what you get from a mission.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pidmon posted:

Do you have to gather all the dragonballs to wish for Piccolo's turban or something?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

The Moon Monster posted:

Do you have to gather all the dragonballs to wish for Piccolo's turban or something?

Piccolo's outfit specifically requires you to grind the easiset sidequest in the game. You have to beat up Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin and hope you satisfied enough of the optional objectives for Piccolo to spawn. Then it's straight rng whether or not you get a piece of Piccolo's outfit, and more rng if it's his turban instead of his chest armor.

The dragon balls are for filling out your character roster, getting stat respecs, and also new abilities I believe. Could be wrong on that last one.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

Piccolo's outfit specifically requires you to grind the easiset sidequest in the game. You have to beat up Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin and hope you satisfied enough of the optional objectives for Piccolo to spawn. Then it's straight rng whether or not you get a piece of Piccolo's outfit, and more rng if it's his turban instead of his chest armor.

The dragon balls are for filling out your character roster, getting stat respecs, and also new abilities I believe. Could be wrong on that last one.

You can also use them to wish for the Power Pole and a clothing set based on Journey to the West. You also do use them to get new abilities, but it takes like four full sets. Two for the two ults, and two more for the two sets of supers.

It's kinda dumb.

edit: On a personal note, gently caress any of the PQs that involve multiple super saiyan characters. They get infinite ki(super gauge), which tends to mean if you get hit once without the necessary stamina to escape you're going to get endlessly juggled by Kamehamehas.

TGLT has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Mar 10, 2015

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

DoubleNegative posted:

money, unlocking the extra save slots (loving lol), go up a level (apparently good at higher levels), unlock one of 3 wish-only characters, unlock wish-only clothes, reassign attribute points, redo character creation (you have to stay the same species and gender, might do this because majiin female voice 3 is way too sexual and gross when doing a throw)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 4: It's not as much of a problem in the early game because you have personal stats to raise, but in a New Game+ of Persona 4 when those are maxed there's really nothing whatsoever to do during rainy days, which is irksome when the game's trained you to try and find productive uses for all of your time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

StandardVC10 posted:

Persona 4: It's not as much of a problem in the early game because you have personal stats to raise, but in a New Game+ of Persona 4 when those are maxed there's really nothing whatsoever to do during rainy days, which is irksome when the game's trained you to try and find productive uses for all of your time.

There's totally productive stuff for you to do on rainy days.

BEEF

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pidmon posted:

money, unlocking the extra save slots (loving lol), go up a level (apparently good at higher levels), unlock one of 3 wish-only characters, unlock wish-only clothes, reassign attribute points, redo character creation (you have to stay the same species and gender, might do this because majiin female voice 3 is way too sexual and gross when doing a throw)

You don't get save slots from the dragon balls, you unlock them all at once from beating the main plot. Your equipment, money, skills and whatnot are shared character-wide, and levelling is incredibly fast once you have the right quests unlocked. If you're that unhappy with your character, it might be better to make a new one and powerlevel to where you were before, rather than use a wish or two on respec+appearance.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

YggiDee posted:

You don't get save slots from the dragon balls, you unlock them all at once from beating the main plot. Your equipment, money, skills and whatnot are shared character-wide, and levelling is incredibly fast once you have the right quests unlocked. If you're that unhappy with your character, it might be better to make a new one and powerlevel to where you were before, rather than use a wish or two on respec+appearance.

*shrugs* I'm happy with my character it's just the extra clothes I'm after, I'm just saying that locking save slots is bullshit.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Is it totally cool to get Xenoverse for the 360, or should I do like Shadows of Mordor and wait til I get an Xbone or PS4?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
COD: Advanced Warfare.

Troop leader:
Mitchell, do the thing!
*objective pops up on your display*
Do the thing, Mitchell!
Mitchell, are you paying attention? Do the thing!
Mitchell what are you waiting for?
We need you to do the thing, Mitchell!
Hey Mitchell, where are you at on doing the thing?
Get going Mitchell!

Every five loving seconds SHUT UUUUUUPPPP

I get it when we're standing in a hallway and the objective is like "open the door" but when you're trying to fight your way across a battlefield it's so god drat annoying.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mitchell!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Is it totally cool to get Xenoverse for the 360, or should I do like Shadows of Mordor and wait til I get an Xbone or PS4?

Yea its fine, there's no difference other than graphics.

PC is bound to be modded to hell and back but I'm not sure I want to stare at the abyss of mods most anime style games tend to get.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
After playing a little bit of Hotline Miami 2, some things are sticking in my craw.

The plot is extremely disjointed and incredibly hard to follow, with events taking place in 1991, 1989, inside someone's head because they're delusional, inside someone's head because they're asleep, and on a movie set (which might be inside someone's head? I don't loving know). It's all ultra-complex and I don't give a poo poo about what's going on. I'm just finishing levels because I want to hit people with lead pipes and baseball bats, which is fine enough for me.

This leads to the second problem, where the game's design has shifted, and melee combat is disincentivised by the number of guns available and the number of enemies from which to take those guns. Even the early levels in HM2 have rooms full of guys with guns, with maybe one or two melee attackers. The Tony mask returns (no weapons, but punches will kill instead of knock down), and I found that the only way to clear some areas is to pop out from around the corner in order to kite enemies to the corner to kill them. The original game was described as a "gently caress-em-up", but this just feels like a regular shoot-em-up like Crimsonland most of the time.

tl;dr: the story is hosed up in a bad way, and there are too many guns.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
quote is not edit

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inco posted:

This leads to the second problem, where the game's design has shifted, and melee combat is disincentivised by the number of guns available and the number of enemies from which to take those guns. Even the early levels in HM2 have rooms full of guys with guns, with maybe one or two melee attackers. The Tony mask returns (no weapons, but punches will kill instead of knock down), and I found that the only way to clear some areas is to pop out from around the corner in order to kite enemies to the corner to kill them. The original game was described as a "gently caress-em-up", but this just feels like a regular shoot-em-up like Crimsonland most of the time.

I noticed this almost immediately too. In Hotline Miami 1, every room pretty much could be cleared with melee and the way the game was designed you kind of felt like a chump if you had to resort to guns to clear a floor. In this game most floors are really badly laid out, where enemies will shoot you from off screen so you pretty much have to use guns to stand a chance. It's still... fine, I guess, it's not bad, but it's definitely not quite as fun in this regard as the first game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is the plot of Hotline Miami that important? I played the first one as a time killer on Vita in short bursts and don't really remember much of the plot or if I even beat it. Someone spoil it for me.

Content:
I hate it when games have longass sequences where you can't save. I'm playing a handful of JRPGs right now and they're often terrible about this. Want to save after that tough boss? Too bad, sit through a ten minute cutscene, fight your way back to the entrance of the dungeon (still hitting random encounters, natch), watch another drat cutscene where the characters spend five minutes in a long discussion that boils down to "we should probably go to the town to the west next", leave the dungeon, hit a loading screen, end up on the world map, and THEN save.

The Vita is great because any time I feel like it I can say "gently caress you, I'm done with this for a while" and put it in sleep mode, but you still can't switch to another game if you don't want to lose your progress.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The plot was never important - and nowhere near as deep as people made out - but it was structured well: it provided a neat reason to be doing what you were doing and connected the levels together in a way that gave you controlled moments of downtime between each slaughter.

HM2's plot has a lot more going on but it's all over the place with far more banter and it jumps all everywhere between roughly ten characters or so. Feels very much like they put more emphasis on the wrong things when it came to story.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The plot as I remember it was:

Your guy kills whoever his answer phone tells him to and is most likely crazy and as you go on it gets harder and harder to tell what's real and what he's imagining. He saves a prostitute from the guys he kills and she moves in with him, then bad guys kill her and he goes on a revenge trip.

Then you switch perspective to a different murderguy you killed earlier in the story, and win that showdown instead and kill people for implied reasons of revenge. Then you break into a basement and two guys mock you for expecting a sensible story in a drug-fueled murder-em-up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
All I want to know is which song it is that has some one saying "Mami" (?) in it repeatedly, because that song is sick nasty

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Apparently the new DLC for The Evil Within contains no combat whatsoever and is just "sneak through stuff with our engine not actually built for this kind of gameplay".

I really don't understand what they were trying to do here. You don't just take the BEST part of the main game out completely and make DLC without it. There's no inventory management or conserving resources either like in the actual game.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Mar 11, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Elfface posted:

The plot as I remember it was:

Your guy kills whoever his answer phone tells him to and is most likely crazy and as you go on it gets harder and harder to tell what's real and what he's imagining. He saves a prostitute from the guys he kills and she moves in with him, then bad guys kill her and he goes on a revenge trip.

Then you switch perspective to a different murderguy you killed earlier in the story, and win that showdown instead and kill people for implied reasons of revenge. Then you break into a basement and two guys mock you for expecting a sensible story in a drug-fueled murder-em-up.

You can also collect all the letters scattered around the mission for the secret real ending that explains why you're doing all that, which leads to the player character declaring that he doesn't care and the explanation is wasting his time :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The problem is that HM2's plot feels like reading a book when you've been sick for two days and haven't slept at all. It feels like you should be able to piece it together but your brain just won't find the function to do it. And not in a good way, like how E.Y.E. feels like some kind of Nyquil'd nightmare you can't awake from. It's missing that little bit of dream logic or whatever that it needs to pull it off.

Also, the fact I can see further in the X axis than the Y axis always pisses me off when I get sniped by someone who's above me that I couldn't see.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I only found this to be an issue in the last level, when they decide to introduce platforming. Presumably as an homage to the other great games that shouldn't have had platforming at the end, but did.

I hate when games do this. "Hey, do you think [X] totally bullshit? So do we. That's why we included [X] in the game!! :downs:" I know you think you're clever, but if you have to do this don't make it part of the main game.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I've been working through a Steam backlog, just finished Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and what drags this game down is that it's dragging ME down. After traversing vast, fantastical areas together, helping the unfortunate and outwitting dangerous foes, the game forces you to drag the dead body of your big brother to a grave and then makes you bury him. gently caress you game. Fuuuuuuuuuuck you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Every time I try and play Dawn of War II, the relative speed and micro required (and the lack of being able to pause while doing stuff) drains me of all energy/desire to play more than one level/mission at a time. I think I'd have a lot more fun if I could just slow the game's speed down a bit, but I don't think I can (related bitch: not being able to save within a level) and its really annoying.

I bet part of these is that I'm cranky from a low-level cold, but still.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I've been working through a Steam backlog, just finished Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and what drags this game down is that it's dragging ME down. After traversing vast, fantastical areas together, helping the unfortunate and outwitting dangerous foes, the game forces you to drag the dead body of your big brother to a grave and then makes you bury him. gently caress you game. Fuuuuuuuuuuck you.

As I played through Brothers I started to mentally refer to the brothers by my name and my older brother's name.

That turned out to be a very bad idea. :smith:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It's not artistic unless it's depressing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure somebody has figured out a way to speedrun it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Anatharon posted:

No way that's going to stick though.

Maybe, maybe not.

There's some tie-in comic for the Arkham game series and it made it pretty clear he was dead...even had his body get cremated.

But granted, in a world with literal magic life-restoring water beneath the city all this takes place in, it's not outside the realm of possibility he lives.

But at the very least, I expect the focus/main villain of Arkham Knight to not be The Joker for the third time, even if he shows up to say hello.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inco posted:

After playing a little bit of Hotline Miami 2, some things are sticking in my craw.

The plot is extremely disjointed and incredibly hard to follow, with events taking place in 1991, 1989, inside someone's head because they're delusional, inside someone's head because they're asleep, and on a movie set (which might be inside someone's head? I don't loving know). It's all ultra-complex and I don't give a poo poo about what's going on. I'm just finishing levels because I want to hit people with lead pipes and baseball bats, which is fine enough for me.

Hotline Miami was a game that trolled players by putting the "real" ending behind a bunch of tedious hidden collectibles only for the ending to be total bullshit that the game outright states doesn't matter and was just an excuse to kill people. I actually enjoyed the story in 2 because it seemed to continue in that vein, instead of giving big answers or building a plot around the crazy alternate universe/cult stuff it's a bunch of moody disjointed side stories with no real purpose other than to give you an excuse to kill more people.

Storywise, one thing dragging HLM2 down for me is that goddam rape scene that the internet has spent the past year arguing about. Considering how brief, out-of-nowhere, and inconsequential it is it seemed to exist for no reason other than to drum up controversy, which is a pretty lovely thing for someone as cool and real as Cactus.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe, maybe not.

There's some tie-in comic for the Arkham game series and it made it pretty clear he was dead...even had his body get cremated.

But granted, in a world with literal magic life-restoring water beneath the city all this takes place in, it's not outside the realm of possibility he lives.

But at the very least, I expect the focus/main villain of Arkham Knight to not be The Joker for the third time, even if he shows up to say hello.

Hamill said that the only reason he voiced the Joker in City after retiring from the role after Asylum was because they promised that they were killing Joker off for good in that series and the game could be his big send-off for voicing the character. It would be really lovely for them to do that to him and then bring Joker back from the dead with a new voice.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MisterBibs posted:

Every time I try and play Dawn of War II, the relative speed and micro required (and the lack of being able to pause while doing stuff) drains me of all energy/desire to play more than one level/mission at a time. I think I'd have a lot more fun if I could just slow the game's speed down a bit, but I don't think I can (related bitch: not being able to save within a level) and its really annoying.

I bet part of these is that I'm cranky from a low-level cold, but still.

Just lower the difficulty. For the most part you guys are supremely durable and don't need that much micromanagement anyway

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

Just lower the difficulty. For the most part you guys are supremely durable and don't need that much micromanagement anyway

Yeah, all you really need to do is make sure Avitus is in cover and facing the right direction, Tarkus has Tactical Advance active (and should probably also be in cover), and remember to have the Force Commander equipped with medipacks, a battle standard, or both so he can pop a heal while he wrecks poo poo in melee and you're golden. Then depending on your fourth person either have Cyrus using his weapon ability to do burst DPS on high value targets, have Thaddeus jump pack, retreat, and repeat, or have THE THULENAUGHT just aimed in the right direction to unleash his holy wrath upon the enemy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sleeveless posted:

Hotline Miami was a game that trolled players by putting the "real" ending behind a bunch of tedious hidden collectibles only for the ending to be total bullshit that the game outright states doesn't matter and was just an excuse to kill people. I actually enjoyed the story in 2 because it seemed to continue in that vein, instead of giving big answers or building a plot around the crazy alternate universe/cult stuff it's a bunch of moody disjointed side stories with no real purpose other than to give you an excuse to kill more people.

Storywise, one thing dragging HLM2 down for me is that goddam rape scene that the internet has spent the past year arguing about. Considering how brief, out-of-nowhere, and inconsequential it is it seemed to exist for no reason other than to drum up controversy, which is a pretty lovely thing for someone as cool and real as Cactus.

They put an option at the beginning of the game to turn off all instances of implicit sexual assault so I don't understand what the problem is? It's Hotline Miami, the whole point is that it's hyper-violent so I don't understand how an implicit rape is any worse than brutally gouging somebodies eyes out especially when there's a non-intrusive option for anyone who'd be seriously put off by such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

They put an option at the beginning of the game to turn off all instances of implicit sexual assault so I don't understand what the problem is? It's Hotline Miami, the whole point is that it's hyper-violent so I don't understand how an implicit rape is any worse than brutally gouging somebodies eyes out especially when there's a non-intrusive option for anyone who'd be seriously put off by such a thing.

Sexual violence has some important differences compared to physical violence. It's a complicated subject and this thread is not the place for it, but there are absolutely fair reasons why many people treat them differently.