Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Scratch Monkey posted:

Pfft.. y'all are scrubs. 1983 with a VIC-20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VWtyYqBxHU

"Stop pissing, Yuri. Give me a stopwatch and a map and I'll fly the Alps in a plane with no windows."

MrYenko posted:

Also, expansion pack with the B-24, and then the sequel, with B-29s in the Pacific.

B-29s over *Korea*. That would be far more entertaining and challenging. The Japanese had a hell of a time getting up to play with the Superfortresses. B-29s had a 1.1% sortie loss rate in WW2.

http://www.econseminars.com/6th_Bombardment_Group_Tinian/Risks.pdf (not necessarily a reliable source)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I took a screenshot of the SR-71 interactive gallery on whatever museum has that. Anyway, the giant red RSO EJECTED annunciator makes me laugh really hard for some reason.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Anyway, the giant red RSO EJECTED annunciator makes me laugh really hard for some reason.

The RSO's panel was even worse. He had the same three lights -- "poo poo is going down, get ready to unass the airplane," "EJECT EJECT EJECT," and "You're the pilot now, the guy with the actual controls is swinging under silk. Have fun landing it with the autopilot."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj9UwKQKE3A

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've spent a lot of time in United 747s over the Pacific. They are terrible and have no avod or power in economy.

As much as I love the 747 platform United has let theirs go to waste.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

My brother deployed to Korea last summer and flew United from SeaTac to Seoul on a 777, he said his economy seat had AVOD and a USB charging port.

Adult Video On Demand?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't get the obsession with in-flight entertainment. Is 8 hours in a plane seat really such medieval torture that Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and three episodes of Frasier constitutes blessed relief? Besides, the best in-flight entertainment has been available since the 1930s: sparkling wine and a beautiful view.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Ola posted:

I don't get the obsession with in-flight entertainment. Is 8 hours in a plane seat really such medieval torture that Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and three episodes of Frasier constitutes blessed relief? Besides, the best in-flight entertainment has been available since the 1930s: sparkling wine and a beautiful view.

You're clearly not more than 6' tall.

Though the wine certainly helps.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Barnsy posted:

You're clearly not more than 6' tall.

Though the wine certainly helps.

I'm almost exactly 6 ft. But if legroom is the problem, Four Weddings And A Funeral isn't the optimum solution.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

I'm almost exactly 6 ft. But if legroom is the problem, Four Weddings And A Funeral isn't the optimum solution.

Getting sat in a seat with no view or a terrible view makes in flight entertainment a lot more attractive. But I usually read books, listen to podcasts, and sleep anyway.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just flew a 787-8 in business on LAN. Easiest 11 hours in a plane I ever did. Our seats were lie-flat but I never even reclined fully because the travel wasn't something I wanted to escape from, unlike other planes I've flown on. In comparison to Lufthansa's terrible not-quite lie-flat last-generation seats in business on the A380, the 787 is like a breath of fresh air, literally I think because the higher pressure makes for such a pleasing experience. What most people also don't mention is that the 787 is almost eerily quiet during cruise, and even during take-off under full throttle my wife and I could chat with each other using our regular (not raised) voices.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Fine if you've got a window seat, and it's day time, and you aren't sitting over the wing, and there isn't a four year old who's IFE consists of kicking your seat for the entire flight, and you aren't surrounded by passengers who are coughing and sneezing every strain and mutation of rhinovirus and influenza know to science (and some still yet to be discovered) into your airspace, and the attendants actually let you open your blind.
Otherwise, give me the sweet release of bad movies I'd never watch on the ground, several decent albums of music and a good moving map. Also a charge point for my phone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I love flying but that view of the North Atlantic gets old after about 45 minutes at a stretch.

IFE is great. I get to catch up on all the movies I fail to see in the theater.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I love flying but that view of the North Atlantic gets old after about 45 minutes at a stretch.

Yup, and night flights you see even less.

I am evidently in a minority here because when I'm flying long haul it's a case of several glasses of champagne in the lounge, then several more on the plane, followed by lots of water and a snooze. Being air miles rich is nice for those flights.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Yup, and night flights you see even less.

I am evidently in a minority here because when I'm flying long haul it's a case of several glasses of champagne in the lounge, then several more on the plane, followed by lots of water and a snooze. Being air miles rich is nice for those flights.

If you fly over oceans a couple times a year you'll greatly outpace your miles upgrade ability and won't have enough status with the airline for global upgrades (or whatever the gently caress delta calls them, idk how United's plan works).

Yes yes laugh at my work for paying $1.5k-2k for a transpacific ticket instead of $8k-10k

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm an aisle seat guy. Having unrestricted access to the lavatory and extra space to stretch out my feet are worth it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I have decently broad shoulders, a long torso, and am torn on aisle seats: on one hand, I can lean out a bit and make the trip a little more bearable for the person next to me (sorry my arm is all up in your face), on the other, getting bumped by every person going down the aisle, including the drink cart, loving blows.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Being broad shouldered has its definite downsides. I've been weight lifting for nearly 15 years now and being a 195 lb 5'7" guy on a cramped airline seat is miserable.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm an aisle seat guy. Having unrestricted access to the lavatory and extra space to stretch out my feet are worth it.

Amen. I am also that guy that always tries to find the release for the aisle armrest. Makes getting in and out so much easier and it's surprising how many people say "I didn't know you could do that".

Also, what do all you assholes do that allow you to travel so much???

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

If you fly over oceans a couple times a year you'll greatly outpace your miles upgrade ability and won't have enough status with the airline for global upgrades (or whatever the gently caress delta calls them, idk how United's plan works).
Pretty much all three legacies require upgrade instruments for international travel.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SyHopeful posted:

Amen. I am also that guy that always tries to find the release for the aisle armrest. Makes getting in and out so much easier and it's surprising how many people say "I didn't know you could do that".

Also, what do all you assholes do that allow you to travel so much???

Consulting.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm 5'6" 135 lbs and airline seats are never uncomfortable :smug:

If you want extra legroom, just pull your bag out under your knees and stretch your legs under the seat in front of you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

If you want extra legroom, just pull your bag out under your knees and stretch your legs under the seat in front of you.

You're right the real problem is knee room not leg room.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mortabis posted:

LOL that angle isn't happening when you're 6'7''

I got upgraded to business class (not sure why it wasn't called first class, it was like row 3) on a SAS flight to Sweden last year that had those seats where the shell doesn't move but the padding can sort of fold out to a flat bed. Only I couldn't use that because it was too short for me. Honestly I was a bit underwhelmed and would have been pretty annoyed if I had paid the $6000 or whatever that the ticket would have cost.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, I've been in 737 configs where the distance from my seat to the seatback in front is shorter than the distance from my hip to my knee. I don't have any other choice than to sit sideways.

Also have broad shoulders. I don't fly often so I love to get a window seat, but if I don't choose properly and I have someone big sitting next to me, I can be miserable (as my most recent flight from Phoenix to Pittsburgh where I thought I was going to have a panic attack because of the lack of room.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Most of the ceiling space in a 747 is wasted empty space; is there any reason why they couldn't make the chairs 3" taller? It's like they designed the chairs to be comfortable for a person of 5'4" despite the average American being 5'10, and I think it's even taller in western Europe. I forget the study but it basically said every vertical inch of seat height you add, gives the occupant an effective additional 3" of leg room.

I think Ryan Air took this to it's logical extreme in a study; personally I would prefer this, so long as I can fit a small laptop between me and the seat in front of me on that fold down tray

edit: apparently this doesn't work so well when your passenger is a fat american

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 11, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Hadlock posted:

Most of the ceiling space in a 747 is wasted empty space; is there any reason why they couldn't make the chairs 3" taller? It's like they designed the chairs to be comfortable for a person of 5'4" despite the average American being 5'10

The average male American is 5'10 edit: my bad, 5'9". The average American is just about my height.

david_a posted:

LOL that angle isn't happening when you're 6'7''

You are more than three standard deviations taller than the average male. Expecting airline seats to fit you is not reasonable.

e: for the non-mathematically inclined, 6'7" is taller than 99.9% of males.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 11, 2015

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Loving the look on this guy's face. I wonder if they forced him to sit like this for 2-3 hours.

Why don't they just give you a pill and put all of the pax in a big pile in the middle of the aircraft. Or even better: shoot you in the back of the head during boarding and throw you out of the aircraft when they are overhead of the destination. It'd be less painful that way. I swear to god, loving cattle transport regulations have more generous space requirements than modern-day economy seating.

Flying is such a loving joke when you're 6' or over.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 11, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tsuru posted:

Loving the look on this guy's face. I wonder if they forced him to sit like this for 2-3 hours.

Why don't they just give you a pill and put all of the pax in a big pile in the middle of the aircraft. Or even better: shoot you in the back of the head and throw you out of the aircraft when they are overhead of the destination. It'd be less painful that way.

Flying is such a loving joke when you're 6' or over.

6'3" and exit row and any seats with a pitch closer to 34" than 30" is fine for me. (Thats economy comfort on delta or economy plus for united)

One thing to keep in mind about ryanair - their longest flight is under 3 hours. In the US you can get stuck on an ancient 757 with 30" broken seats for a 5 hour transcontinental flight.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 11, 2015

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
It'd be happy when they start selling tickets by the pound or kg., and weigh everybody in during boarding. I mean, there's already some rear end in a top hat peeping my wife's tits in a darkened room somewhere to see if she isn't hiding some terrorists in there, so why not do something which actually makes sense?

I saw the pics of that guy boarding a BAe-146 as a kid and looking in the cockpit and I just went :smith: remember when flying used to be exciting and fun?

e: I'd rather drive than spend a single second queing up to sit in one of those bright yellow abominations Ryanair calls cabins. As you say, we have it relatively easy distance-wise.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2015

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Mortabis posted:

The average male American is 5'10. The average American is just about my height.

You are more than three standard deviations taller than the average male. Expecting airline seats to fit you is not reasonable.

e: for the non-mathematically inclined, 6'7" is taller than 99.9% of males.

Then apparently I'm deformed. Depending on the AC my knees are nearly hitting the seat in front of me in cattle class. I'm a whopping 5'11". Thank god for free upgrades.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Question about Alaska 261. Part of the CVR talks about "unloading" the plane as part of their troubleshooting. What does this mean?

Context:

quote:

1618:26 CAM-1 OK... bring bring the flaps and slats back up for me.
1618:32 CAM-2 slats too?
1618:33 CAM-1 yea.
1618:36.8 CAM [sound similar to slat/flap handle movement]
1618:37 CAM-2 that gives us... twelve thousand pounds of fuel, don't over boost them.
1618:47 CAM-1 what I'm what I wanna do...
1618:48 CAM [sound similar to slat/flap handle movement]
1618:49 CAM-1 is get the nose up... and then let the nose fall through and
see if we can stab it when it's unloaded.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

6'3" and exit row and any seats with a pitch closer to 34" than 30" is fine for me. (Thats economy comfort on delta or economy plus for united)

One thing to keep in mind about ryanair - their longest flight is under 3 hours. In the US you can get stuck on an ancient 757 with 30" broken seats for a 5 hour transcontinental flight.

5 hour? I routinely sit in 757s for 7-8 hours for transatlantic flights with United.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I posted this in the Military Videos thread in GiP, but hadn't seen it posted yet here. Here's the teaser for VFA-27's new Cruise Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWqexq4td28

There's some really cool parts in this, notably a nighttime strafing run, some sort of FLIR view of the delivery of a JSOW (Joint Stand-Off Weapon), which is kind of like a bomb with stubby wings. VFA-27 is based off the USS George Washington, ported in Atsugi, Japan.

Jealous Cow posted:

5 hour? I routinely sit in 757s for 7-8 hours for transatlantic flights with United.

Transcontinental. Not intercontinental. He's emphasizing that without even leaving the US, you can have flights nearly twice as long as Ryan's longest.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Gibfender posted:

Question about Alaska 261. Part of the CVR talks about "unloading" the plane as part of their troubleshooting. What does this mean?

Context:

The "load" is the lift force produced by the wing or stabilizer (downward lift), which corresponds to the amount of force exerted by the air on the wing/stabilizer, along with any control surfaces on them. The idea was that by reducing this force, it would free up the internal mechanism to move easier.

It's just like when you're trying to move a sliding widow but it's jammed. No matter how hard you push you can't overcome the jam, but if you back it up just a tad it's then free for you to jiggle it just a bit, and then it moves easy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Thats this plane not this one.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Gibfender posted:

Context:

Hmm, I'm going to take a guess and say that they were talking about the wing loading, and waiting until they wern't flying anymore to sort out their problems and apply more flap.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Gibfender posted:

Context:
I'm going to go with wing loading too.

While it's possible to unload the stab and make the jacksrew's job easier by releasing your input on the elevators (negative or positive), this does not apply to what they were doing judging from the transcript.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 12, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Well, "this" is a demonstrative noun, but that's not important right now

I picked the wrong week to quit smoking

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Godholio posted:

F-22 Raptor II (RIP NovaLogic)
F-22 Lightning (it wasn't named Raptor in the UK) #3 was great- turn off weapon limits, ripple off 6x B61, eject into the mushroom clouds & survive :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't seen anyone mention F-15 Strike Eagle II. I spent so many hours playing that.