Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I love that China has four classic novels and three of them are about huge wars and people kicking rear end and the last one is about a goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of classic war texts the Táin Bó Cúailnge doesn't give enough love

Just a massive war fought by a single man who transforms into a mangled mass of tearing flesh on behalf of the men of his village who are simultaneously suffering labor pains against a rival army that stole their prized bull for the sake of their queen who ends up dripping period blood into a hole and killing every living thing in the field.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The ending of every modern translation of the Táin Bó Cúailnge should just end with "The Arisocrats!"

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Boatswain posted:

Well either you learnt Norwegian or you learnt English so you should know how valuable language-ed is :colbert:

It's absolutely valuable. I just don't think "just learn the language to read the original book" is a good advice on a general basis. Learning the language well enough to read novels written for adults at a good comprehension level can in some instances take a a long time, with a lot of hard work, and might be demotivating if someone is struggling for whatever reason. If you're already in university though, by all means, just hit up a class in whatever you fancy. But if you're planning to learn a language on your own, you might want some additional goals. But to each their own, I guess.

Multilingualism is valuable in and of itself, but I will still hold the claim that translations exist for good reasons.

(and Norwegian's my first language.)

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Fair enough, though I was never thinking about specific books but rather some sort of deeper engagement with a literary tradition which would be impossible without learning its language.

I love translations and generally don't value the urtext that highly when reading for enjoyment. What gets me though is how much good literature that is only available in its original language.

What do you mean by "additional goals"?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm currently reading Big Breasts & Wide Hips by Mo Yan. It is about this kid who is obsessed with breasts (especially those of his 7 buxom older sisters) and still breastfeeds at the age of like twelve. I have to say I really identify with this character and am enjoying the book thoroughly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm currently reading Big Breasts & Wide Hips by Mo Yan. It is about this kid who is obsessed with breasts (especially those of his 7 buxom older sisters) and still breastfeeds at the age of like twelve. I have to say I really identify with this character and am enjoying the book thoroughly.

thread title/post

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

You should really check out Life and Death are Wearing Me Out after Big Breasts, if you haven't already. Still haven't read the latter but I'm told they're really similar in terms of sheer scope.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mira posted:

You should really check out Life and Death are Wearing Me Out after Big Breasts, if you haven't already. Still haven't read the latter but I'm told they're really similar in terms of sheer scope.

I've actually already read that, Garlic Ballads and Republic of Wine. I can see why BB&WH seems to be one of his most popular or at least most recommended, it has a good mix of elements that appear elsewhere in his works: it's not quite as hedonistic as Republic of Wine, not quite as magical/mythological as Life and Death, and not quite as depressing as Garlic Ballads (although admittedly I'm only halfway through), but it has elements of all three.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

i sometimes want to learn chinese so i can read mao and cao cao's poetry

for some reason the notion of these brutal warlords writing beautiful poetry strikes a chord in me

I seriously contemplated studying ancient Sumerian for a while. Sadly my grades in Math and Science were atrocious, so I was never able to. (If you don't understand this, don't worry, I didn't either. The unfairness of the German education system. :sigh:)

What is known from those ancient times is just so mysterious and interesting! It get's really weird if you go far enough back in time to the point where even the Sumerians didn't have "writing" as we understand it. (Back before clay tablets, Sumerians used stamps with signs on them. Before that, we know practically nothing except people existed and did some poo poo. But no writing = no history survived.)

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I've actually already read that, Garlic Ballads and Republic of Wine. I can see why BB&WH seems to be one of his most popular or at least most recommended, it has a good mix of elements that appear elsewhere in his works: it's not quite as hedonistic as Republic of Wine, not quite as magical/mythological as Life and Death, and not quite as depressing as Garlic Ballads (although admittedly I'm only halfway through), but it has elements of all three.

Garlic Ballads was cool because more than one character has to drink pee.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I'm confused by the turn this thread has taken

Libluini posted:

I seriously contemplated studying ancient Sumerian for a while. Sadly my grades in Math and Science were atrocious, so I was never able to. (If you don't understand this, don't worry, I didn't either. The unfairness of the German education system. :sigh:)

What is known from those ancient times is just so mysterious and interesting! It get's really weird if you go far enough back in time to the point where even the Sumerians didn't have "writing" as we understand it. (Back before clay tablets, Sumerians used stamps with signs on them. Before that, we know practically nothing except people existed and did some poo poo. But no writing = no history survived.)

Ancient Mesopotamian poo poo has that same kind of weird creepy aura for me, as well. I think a lot of it is holdover from Ghostbusters. Check out the Oxford collection of primary-source myths.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 10, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

End Of Worlds posted:

Ancient Mesopotamian poo poo has that same kind of weird creepy aura for me, as well. I think a lot of it is holdover from Ghostbusters. Check out the Oxford collection of primary-source myths.

A big part of it is that the ancient Jews literally demonized other Near Eastern gods. Baal and Marduk are real life Mesopotamian gods

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

A big part of it is that the ancient Jews literally demonized other Near Eastern gods. Baal and Marduk are real life Mesopotamian gods

I think a better way to put it is that being Mesopotamian municipal gods and agricultural gods and what have you was a typical day job for a lot of young deities in that area who were first making their way in the world, just trying to make ends meet. but being demons was their real passion and Baal is one of the guys that was able to make a career of it in the Jewish market and in fact is still out there today doing his thing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Earwicker posted:

I think a better way to put it is that being Mesopotamian municipal gods and agricultural gods and what have you was a typical day job for a lot of young deities in that area who were first making their way in the world, just trying to make ends meet. but being demons was their real passion and Baal is one of the guys that was able to make a career of it in the Jewish market and in fact is still out there today doing his thing

He seems to mostly be doing cameos in Dungeons and Dragons sourcebooks these days but to be fair a lot of older dieties are taking that gig, there's no shame in it.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He seems to mostly be doing cameos in Dungeons and Dragons sourcebooks these days but to be fair a lot of older dieties are taking that gig, there's no shame in it.

At least he hasn't sold out and gone the superhero route like some deities.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Smoking Crow posted:

yeah but i legitimately think a lot of it comes from Gozer the Gozerian

but anyway the fact that the carthaginians almost certainly did burn children alive as offerings to Baal also helps

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

The irony here is for many ancient Sumerian cultures demons weren't all bad. They had evil, good and neutral demons. If you had bad luck, a well-drying plague demon would start living in your village's well. If you had good luck, a plague-protection demon would show up and instead protect your village. Or you would have that weird tree with a female demon just living in it. (I guess that would be the neutral option.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Libluini posted:

The irony here is for many ancient Sumerian cultures demons weren't all bad. They had evil, good and neutral demons. If you had bad luck, a well-drying plague demon would start living in your village's well. If you had good luck, a plague-protection demon would show up and instead protect your village. Or you would have that weird tree with a female demon just living in it. (I guess that would be the neutral option.)

Then again a lot of Sumerian Gods would just torture you after death to the extent that the people outright feared the afterlife.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hello quit being a loving child thread, i'm partway into moby dick. When does it start being about whales and stop being about how awesome it is to sleep with your Cool Muslim Bro?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Normal Adult Human posted:

Hello quit being a loving child thread, i'm partway into moby dick. When does it start being about whales and stop being about how awesome it is to sleep with your Cool Muslim Bro?

spoiler: the muslim is the whale

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Normal Adult Human posted:

About a third of the way in, once they get on the ship. The gaybro first third was my favorite part of the book though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

About a third of the way in, once they get on the ship. The gaybro first third was my favorite part of the book though.

Yeah the first 100 pages is great but the next 500 is useless bullshit about whale assholes

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Boatswain posted:

What do you mean by "additional goals"?

I was thinking along the lines of planning to use the language on a semi-regular basis by communicating with others orally/in writing, or having an academic interest in the language or what-not. but that might implicitly be part of the reasons to begin with, so if so, just chalk it up to me interpreting the advice a bit too literally or whatever.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we get a list in the OP. I always see a book that looks cool but I'm at work and can't really read it right then and I forget to write it down and then I can't find it.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Larry Parrish posted:

Can we get a list in the OP. I always see a book that looks cool but I'm at work and can't really read it right then and I forget to write it down and then I can't find it.

Buddy, the only books you need are The Bible and Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

THat thread has a higher gold bar rating than this thread does.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Which means that sick owns on a fan fiction are objectively better than literature.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sick burns on lit more your swag?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Queequeg is a polynesian.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Wittgenstein's later work realllllllly could've used some editing.

I've been re-reading Philosophical Investigations and On Certainty all day for a research paper and I feel physically exhausted.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Larry Parrish posted:

Let's settle the question of the western canon in a SA OP.
Just, uh, take notes, I guess. With your phone?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mycophobia posted:

I've been re-reading Philosophical Investigations and On Certainty all day for a research paper and I feel physically exhausted.

the problem with editing wittgenstein is you can't really do it, it's as much poetry as it is actual prose and there's a ton of meaning that can be teased out just from the mental state he puts you in

i mean, imagine you're wittgenstein's editor, what are you going to do? not publish what he wants published?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Then again a lot of Sumerian Gods would just torture you after death to the extent that the people outright feared the afterlife.

Heh, no wonder people were summoning demons left and right. :v:

Once, while googling for something completely different, I stumbled upon an old Sumerian book about magic. Considering the book was originally written on clay tablets, ancient Sumerians must really loved their magic. Astronomy/Astrology, Numerology, Demon Summoning, Prophecies. Now this makes me consider finally buying that book about Mesopotamian archaeology I want to buy since it came out in 2012.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mycophobia posted:

I think that you're exhausted more because of what he's writing about, than the way he's writing it. There's not a way to express Wittgenstein's ideas that is any more succinct than how Wittgenstein did it.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

CestMoi posted:

I think that you're exhausted more because of what he's writing about, than the way he's writing it. There's not a way to express Wittgenstein's ideas that is any more succinct than how Wittgenstein did it.

I disagree! I feel like On Certainty, in particular, could've been drastically reduced. I feel like Wittgenstein himself would have done it had he not died.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The sad fact is that most philosophers are terrible writers. I'm reading Heidegger this semester and fuuuuck

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

The sad fact is that most philosophers are terrible writers. I'm reading Heidegger this semester and fuuuuck

The two good ones are Camus and Nietzsche give them a try

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

The two good ones are Camus and Nietzsche give them a try
The Fall is pretty good. The Stranger was a little overrated in my opinion. I've read about 10% of Nietzsche's work and he can be pretty great, agreed. l like when he writes angry letters to his sister about her anti-semitism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

The Fall is pretty good. The Stranger was a little overrated in my opinion. I've read about 10% of Nietzsche's work and he can be pretty great, agreed. l like when he writes angry letters to his sister about her anti-semitism.

The great thing about Nietzsche is that you can tell when he took a break from writing because he'll get progressively angry until he stops and becomes chill again