Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Gorelab posted:

Yeah, I know what I did I just find it hilarious that it'd not just go 'Wait no. No no no no.' I've done it a couple of times with another spell too, but that one isn't as bad. I'm too used to DR's facing making it all default to one thing. The biggest problem I'm having is that I have no idea if I'm supposed to convert or not. I definitly have no real need for a ton of physical points.

Converting is normal, for sorcerers especially since they love their expensive spell research training. You won't lose any points permanently since they unconvert back as you get more.

About a month ago one of the staff asked players to write up newbie guides for the wiki site (probably in anticipation of F2P). There's an in-progress sorcerer guide here which might be useful, though some of it strikes me as being written by people who have forgotten what it's like to not know basic mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Oh as another question is it common, early on for full on casters to have trouble with mana? I seem to run low immediately and even with full training in a weapon skill fighting something at level is still pretty dire. I'm half-tempted to reroll as a paladin, though sorceror seems neat once it gets rolling.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Gorelab posted:

Oh as another question is it common, early on for full on casters to have trouble with mana? I seem to run low immediately and even with full training in a weapon skill fighting something at level is still pretty dire. I'm half-tempted to reroll as a paladin, though sorceror seems neat once it gets rolling.

It definitely takes a while before you can reliably fill your experience bar without running out of mana. If you check in at an inn and set your starting strength to 100 you'll at least be able to hit things with a sword, and you can change it back within the first month of character creation once you have a few levels. Otherwise it's going to be a constant cycle of sprinting back to town square to regenerate mana.

You can also join the society that gives you an ability to fully refill mana for most of your spirit points.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i think that is normal. early levels are hard for sorcerers since you cant really cast only hunt until like 15. a lot of people just get a claidhmore and do weapons until a certain level and then convert skills, which i think is free up until a certain point, but i am not sure with f2p. i never had the patience to get a sorcerer that far, but i do not think i have played one since gs3

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hm. I think I'll try a paladin then. It'll probably be more fun for screwing about.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

welp f2p is out

go hogwild, goons

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?
I had no idea this was coming and hadn't logged into my account for months (I alternate between GS and DR and have since AOL). It'll be nice to actually see some legit 'newbs' instead of people repeatedly creating alts. Big fan of this.

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011
You are slightly under average height for a Halfling.
You are a tartsnatcher.

...man just because I'm a halfling I automatically steal stuff? This game is pretty racist.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

CtrlMagicDel posted:

You are slightly under average height for a Halfling.
You are a tartsnatcher.

...man just because I'm a halfling I automatically steal stuff? This game is pretty racist.

sounds like you might be a rapist..

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011

Kharmakazy posted:

sounds like you might be a rapist..

Or I have a tart...

... this game is wrong on so many levels.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
...the client they provide is called stormfront? A little, uh...I'm sure they're not racist, but they probably could have picked a better name for it.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Literally the best name.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if you are going to try to play gemstone make sure you go to lichproject.org so you can get your scripting on

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Slime posted:

...the client they provide is called stormfront? A little, uh...I'm sure they're not racist, but they probably could have picked a better name for it.

Yeah, that was pretty dumb, but it also came out uhh, I want to say when I was back in high school, so early 2000s. Not that Stormfront the group wasn't around, but probably just not as well known.

A lot of people use a 3rd party client called Genie (which also works for gemstone) and provides a lot more functions, including triggers, aliases, macros (and scripts, obviously), and RegEx.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Isn't Genie one of those clients you have to pay dollars for? I mean, not that I mind paying for something that works.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Slime posted:

Could you explain to me, someone who doesn't play this game, why the word Stormfront is racist?

Doesn't sound very racist, is it game related?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Stormfront= Big name Neo-nazi web forum, possibly best known in Tradgames as home to terrible people doing long self-justifying posts about liking Drizzt because he's not -really- black.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, that was pretty dumb, but it also came out uhh, I want to say when I was back in high school, so early 2000s. Not that Stormfront the group wasn't around, but probably just not as well known.

A lot of people use a 3rd party client called Genie (which also works for gemstone) and provides a lot more functions, including triggers, aliases, macros (and scripts, obviously), and RegEx.

Lich seems to be what's used more on Gemstone, and I'm semi-jealous because it's free rather than like 40 bucks.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

If you're going to play DR I would say Genie ($40, http://genieclient.com/) is pretty much a requirement, same with Lich ($0, http://www.lichproject.org/) for GS. I actually wish that there was more development for Lich to be functional with DR, because yes, it's free but I think the developer cited some significant technical differences with how the game works that make Lich not as well suited to DR.

It DOES work however and is still way better than vanilla StormFront. If you're doing the F2P thing and obviously don't want to fork over $40 for Genie at least use Lich even with DR. My understanding is that if you know Ruby you could write some pretty sweet scripts, just not to the level they have for GS.

Catfish Stevens fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 11, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Does Lich support RegEx? I mean, this is a text-based game and RegEx = searching text. If it's not a must-have for a real MUD client then I don't know what is.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'd be pretty happy if LIch just had it's automap thing for Dragonrealms. But most of my scripts are pretty much 'Cast this 10 times with cambrinth' and other non-combat training stuff.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

Gorelab posted:

I'd be pretty happy if LIch just had it's automap thing for Dragonrealms. But most of my scripts are pretty much 'Cast this 10 times with cambrinth' and other non-combat training stuff.

;go2 kinda works, but yeah not like it did for GS last time I played (admittedly quite a while ago). Tillmen has a f2p account now and was saying this morning he might do some DR specific work to Lich!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also my first impressions on Gemstone, it feels a lot more like a normal mud than Dragonrealms to me, at least in the little I played. It also feels a good bit simpler which isn't bad and a bit more standard fantasy rather. The most weird thing coming from DR has to be the armor skill and how it works. I'm too used to just wearing plate mail if I'm a paladin rather than having to start in silly leather.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Check your FLAGs too when you're in game, there is some useful stuff that is off by default.

Regarding Simutronics and StormFront, they kinda discovered the whole white supremacist group thing after the client was released and were all "Oops." SF rolled out when they transitioned from GS3 to GS4, so I want to say around 2002, 2003? You might want to change the default SF skin as well: you can pick up StealthFront on the GemStone website or NishiiFront here: http://ge.tt/7VeSC4C2/v/0?c?c

The default skin is a little irritating.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

Gorelab posted:

Also my first impressions on Gemstone, it feels a lot more like a normal mud than Dragonrealms to me, at least in the little I played. It also feels a good bit simpler which isn't bad and a bit more standard fantasy rather. The most weird thing coming from DR has to be the armor skill and how it works. I'm too used to just wearing plate mail if I'm a paladin rather than having to start in silly leather.

I'd say Gemstone is way easier to get into and has received way more developer support in the last decade. It's really simple to experiment with builds and reset (well, maybe not with F2P). And it's been in development longer and it shows. The armor system is really weird.. you have to pull over level 10 to realize benefits.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Some of the F2P restrictions for gemstone are pretty insane though. Like the one bank thing. Yeesh. also I really want to know what the hell happened with the Savant class.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

Gorelab posted:

Some of the F2P restrictions for gemstone are pretty insane though. Like the one bank thing. Yeesh. also I really want to know what the hell happened with the Savant class.

I never played Savant. I'm about 5 years removed from GS though. Warrior is the most fun, or was at low level. DR has a restriction of 10 platinum in your bank account which is pretty much nothing. A claidhmore warrior in GS was incredibly fun until about level 10. Rogue and ranger were fun low level. Pure magic users below level 15 were generally challenging.

IM me at my SA AIM and I'll help you out in either game.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Gorelab posted:

Hasn't been finished yet (and who knows when it will be?), but last I heard anything they were still putting the spell list together. I know they prioritized monks over savants since the monk creation touched a larger number of systems (and in some cases saw a complete rebuild of them). Though it may have been one of those things that just got quietly killed; like the mining and smelting system that was being built on again off again.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it took them like 10 years to release monks and unarmed combat (and it turns out rogues are actually the best at it) and like 12 years for f2p. wouldn't expect savants any time soon.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I want to like Gemstone, and do like some parts of it, combat for instance and I'm a sucker for visible dice rolls... but the majority of its systems just seem so primitive. The drat armor system just makes my head hurt. At least the f2p let me try it out without spending any money.

I wanted to try Dragon Realms, call me spoiled, but I cannot play a game without some kind of mapping.

Goodchild fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 15, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Genie client has an automapper/mover. Maps come with the client, actually. But, it's not free. (the client that is, see above)

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

quote:

Jamison pages you, 'Hey, In all honesty now. Could you do me that one favor and change it to something I'd like? It'd be furthering out RP here'
He asked me to change the name of his spaceship, it is now called Ring Musculatoris 2.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Oh hey, Gemstone added a spell for newbie casters so I've been trying it again. While it feels more generic in a lot of ways compared to Dragonrealms, I really do quite like the fact that I can actually take a load off without wasting the potential to gain some sort of EXP compared to DR. Sorcerers are hilarious with all the toys they get and are quite fun.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just a heads up, we're transitioning from alpha to beta on EmpireMUD next month and doing a full pwipe as well as more than doubling the size of the in game map.

Here's the announcement:

http://empiremud.net/2015/03/the-beta-announcement/

There's been a ton of progress since the last time we talked about it in here, you guys should definitely check it out.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Armageddon people: Tuluk is closing. Allanak will become the sole major settlement for PCs. I think this change has been a long time coming, and I think it could be interesting to see it shake out. I might even start playing again...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Armageddon people: Tuluk is closing. Allanak will become the sole major settlement for PCs. I think this change has been a long time coming, and I think it could be interesting to see it shake out. I might even start playing again...

I don't play Armageddon anymore for lack of free time to dedicate to it, but I can only imagine how much this pisses certain people off. I think there's an okay number of people who play pretty much exclusively up north. Also, shadow artistry was kinda neat, and it'll be a shame to see that go. Arm is one of those games that I really like the idea of, but can't honestly see myself getting into long-term unless I were unemployed and had many hours to spend with it daily... I think the game is quality enough that I could easily do that, it's just a matter of not having those hours free to sink into an RPI text game.

How much of this is the result of lack of staff, and how much of it because the game's playerbase is probably steadily shrinking as with most other MU*s?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Iiiiiinteresting. If I wasn't so busy being a functional adult and stuff I just might start playing again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CheechLizard posted:

He asked me to change the name of his spaceship, it is now called Ring Musculatoris 2.

I have this unwholesome urge to watch The Gayniggers From Outer Space again.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
What is a good, modern mud client? I'm not adverse to paying if its under $20. I know gently caress all about muds. I don't like mudlet.

I've been using tiny fugue that I compiled under cygwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
just use MUSHclient