Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I was mostly just happy that the fight didn't go on for too long. If every fight is 2 or 3 updates at most (and probably just a in-panel note for some), the tournament will move quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I have no time for deus ex machina but I had no problem with this chapter. It wasn't a bullshit twist to get the writer out of a corner, but the introduction of a plot element in a low-stakes situation so it can be redeployed and developed later without being a deus ex machina. This was the first round of the competion, against someone Deku has barely interacted with. Of course he wasn't going to lose.

I'm also liking Shinsou. I expect he's not really a bad guy, just resentful of (through no fault of his own) having a quirk that a lot of people will automatically hate and mistrust. And his being a huge tool all fight is tactically vital for him since getting a rise out of his opponent is the only way he can win.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

More importantly, Deku has barely used one for all, and certainly not in a manner that is well noticed.

So question, does he somehow win without everyone noticing he has Hercules strength leading to people going "wtf is this guys quirk?".

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Peel posted:

I have no time for deus ex machina but I had no problem with this chapter. It wasn't a bullshit twist to get the writer out of a corner, but the introduction of a plot element in a low-stakes situation so it can be redeployed and developed later without being a deus ex machina. This was the first round of the competion, against someone Deku has barely interacted with. Of course he wasn't going to lose.

I'm also liking Shinsou. I expect he's not really a bad guy, just resentful of (through no fault of his own) having a quirk that a lot of people will automatically hate and mistrust. And his being a huge tool all fight is tactically vital for him since getting a rise out of his opponent is the only way he can win.

Deku would actually be a good partner for him because Shinsou could order him to do smashes that Deku wants to do but physically would have difficulty pulling off due to pain.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peel posted:

Yeah, while they gave us a cliffhanger last chapter this whole thing was basically entirely to introduce this aspect of One For All, plus to develop the world and minor characters a bit and stuff (pointing out that Yueii has problems with things like the entrance exam and sure as heck isn't the perfect place Deku imagined it to be, giving Shinsou some depth, and so on). It'd have been much worse to introduce this sort of thing in the middle of a fight with a real villain or something.

Also yeah, Shinsou's a lot more interesting than I thought he'd be. He's up there with Bakugou or even maybe Todoroki in terms of general quirk power (robots are a weak point but against most villains he'd probably just end things without anyone getting hurt even), but due to the nature of it he not only couldn't get into the "good" class (which is clearly favored and doted upon, even if teachers like Aizawa can also be crazy in how they teach them) but probably has to deal with all sorts of crap. And yet he didn't go full rear end in a top hat like Bakugou either; we haven't seen much of him admittedly but I don't think he's been abusing his power on other people or anything.

Basically, these past few chapters we've been getting a look at all the special ways a world where everyone has super powers would be hosed up. First Todoroki's family issues, and now this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shinsou's quirk would be awesome for hostage negotiation. As long as he can get the hostage-taker to answer him, the hostage is as good as saved. Or he could work as a liaison with the police and temporarily stop villains so the police can slap on handcuffs and arrest them on the spot.

And yeah, I'm really liking how the author is exploring the flaws of a hero-based society. Shinsou's dickish attitude even makes more sense, since it's resentment towards the chosen ones mixed with him laying the grounds to use his power.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AtomikKrab posted:

More importantly, Deku has barely used one for all, and certainly not in a manner that is well noticed.

So question, does he somehow win without everyone noticing he has Hercules strength leading to people going "wtf is this guys quirk?".
My initial expectation of the tournament was Deku scoring a win against a tough opponent (this was before before the bracket reveal) with a show-stopping, crowd-stunning demonstration of One For All but having to bow out due to exhaustion/injury but I dunno now really given the circumstances.

Also because I kinda wanna see him fight Iida and Bakugou again.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I like how the fight ended quirkless, and was therefore basically two skinny teenagers slapping each other :allears:.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Except one of those "skinny teenagers" is loving ripped.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
They fixed the lovely typesetting if that was bothering you too, by the way. Also seems like they improved on the translation some and clarified what was going on with the One for All thing, though that might've just been me having poor reading comprehension.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nah, they definitely tidied-up the One For All bit. Comes off as less of a deus ex machina now since Deku actually saves himself, One For All just stalls him long enough to realize what he has to do.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bad Seafood posted:

Nah, they definitely tidied-up the One For All bit. Comes off as less of a deus ex machina now since Deku actually saves himself, One For All just stalls him long enough to realize what he has to do.

You mean the translation on batoto? Because that definitely reads like One-For-All saved him.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

RatHat posted:

You mean the translation on batoto? Because that definitely reads like One-For-All saved him.

I read it that way in the WSJ version too

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Compare cleaned vs. raw

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Why bother cleaning it if it's just going to look worse?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thanks for further validating my Jump subscription.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
And this is why you should support official releases. Something similar happened with a Toriko chapter and I was so confused.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, nevermind the one eyed idea (seriously? They cleaned that out?), but it does look like that the author actually has some vague idea of designs in his head anyway.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm just curious as to see if they ALL have All Might's glorious hair and/or smile.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro Nut posted:

So, nevermind the one eyed idea (seriously? They cleaned that out?), but it does look like that the author actually has some vague idea of designs in his head anyway.

Yeah, the one-eyed one confused me, and additionally I was confused at first because it looked like Black Mist was making another appearance, which seemed way too soon.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I do like how they foreshadowed that deku is the 9th wielder of one for All, and how they incorporated All-might into the shadow faces.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

RatHat posted:

WSJ, sorry.

The way I read it, felt like One For All just brought him to a halt; Deku snapped himself out of it by breaking his own fingers. The original came across like One For All assumed direct control and took care of everything.

Still kind of a saving throw, but a more marginal one.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm just curious as to see if they ALL have All Might's glorious hair and/or smile.

I found another cleaner version.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Spoilers for chapter 34:

Endeavor is apparently a Pokemon player who hunts for perfect IVs because he had multiple kids before he lucked out with Todoroki.

Also the author shows his range with some really, really, REALLY awesome looking art that's pretty different from the rest of the manga so far. He has some great range!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hopeford posted:

Spoilers for chapter 34:

Endeavor is apparently a Pokemon player who hunts for perfect IVs because he had multiple kids before he lucked out with Todoroki.

Also the author shows his range with some really, really, REALLY awesome looking art that's pretty different from the rest of the manga so far. He has some great range!

Wouldn't it be breeding for perfect IVs?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Algid posted:

Wouldn't it be breeding for perfect IVs?
Yes, although I'm not sure if his Endeavor and his wife are 5IV so he probably made the entire thing a lot harder than he had to.

I mean, I imagine 6IV's the goal here, Todoroki is probably some kind of mixed attacker.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chapter is out.

very :unsmith: regarding Shinsou,
very :stare: regarding Todoroki.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 15, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The one thing that stands out is Endeavor mentioning Todoroki's brothers. That means Todoroki wasn't the first child. Only the first successful one. Jesus loving Christ Endeavor.

I'm happy for Shinsou.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
So far I think this tournament arc has been really boring.

Deku gets caught in a Quirk that he was given a ton of warning about, then Deus Ex Machina's his way out of it to win.

Son of Ice and Fire just OHKO a guy in 1 chapter without any issues.

The characters talked so much about a Deku/Ice and Fire fight that I thought we were being prepared for an upset. So barring a villain interruption (which would be a lift straight from Naruto) then so far everything has happened as expected. That being said its still early on, so lets hope the B-Listers can redeem this arc (which they will cos their awesome)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DeadBonesBrook posted:

So far I think this tournament arc has been really boring.

Dude it's been two chapters. I can't think of a single tournament arc in any manga I've ever seen that's been super interesting in just two chapters. (bar One Piece and the exploits of Lucy)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Dude it's been two chapters. I can't think of a single tournament arc in any manga I've ever seen that's been super interesting in just two chapters. (bar One Piece and the exploits of Lucy)

You accidentally misspelled the name there. The exploits of Moocy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I actually have thought this tourney arc has been quite interesting.

Also that mind controllers determination to use his powers for heroics :3:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Reminds me my old tabletop character, Doctor von Evilstein. He got told so many times he would end up as an evil mad scientist that he decided to "SHOW THEM' SHOW THEM ALL!" and become the greatest hero ever.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The author is good at being self-aware with these things (as well as how much of an rear end-pull the last chapter could seem, given Deku's reaction to the explanation). But yeah, thinking on it, there'd probably be certain biases towards particular powers due to popular culture, wouldn't there? Not just in certain powers being thought of more in their capacity for evil or whatever, but say, how more straightforward abilities - that is, the kind of thing more associated with the most iconic heroes, so super strength, speed, flight, etc - would be seized upon whilst someone might look at 'makes sticky balls' and just laugh it off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I dunno, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Flame of Recca were good quickly

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

I dunno, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Flame of Recca were good quickly

Haven't heard of Flame of Recca before, might check that out. I have seen Yu Yu Hakusho though and the tournament arc in that is easily the worst part of the whole series.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I have seen Yu Yu Hakusho though and the tournament arc in that is easily the worst part of the whole series.

Which tournament arc do you mean?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which tournament arc do you mean?

It's like the entire 2nd season.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's like the entire 2nd season.

The joke is that there are multiple tournaments in Yu Yu Hakusho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pandaman and the Flash in the crowd shot panel. :lol: