Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also. I loved the issue. I LOVED the reveal. I loved everything.

Except that second to last panel. I don't k ow know where to begin. Oh wait. I can.

Why so wide, Thor????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Thorr power makes you fat they established this when he first wielded the power and instantly put on forty pounds.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Are you saying you feel he's unworthy of such a majestic beard?

It does kinda look like he did the fusion dance wrong when he took on Thorr's powers, though, yeah.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's not Thor, that's clearly young Santa Clause.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Haha it looks like Volstagg wearing a Thor costume, how did I miss that

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Kev Walker is not normally a bad artist, I don't think he's ever been great but he's usually been soild except for almost all his New Avengers issues. I wonder how much of it is down to Hickman's late scripts, Brevoort mentioned on his tumblr several times that Hickman's had trouble getting them in on time.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the Norm (I think that was his name)
NorN. They're the beings from Norse mythology who weave your fate. Because Dr Fate.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I hope we get a scene where Doom explains his goals and desires and how this has all been carefully orchestrated to prepare the world to fight the Beyonders. How he alone has provided the salvation of the multiverse. How now, under his leadership they have prepared a mutliversal collective of the greatest warriors ever and they can stop the beyonders and save the multiverse!...then Steve Rogers punches him in the face.

What can I say, I like stubborn, sort of an rear end in a top hat, Steve Rogers.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I like that secret wars and battleworld make us think its about different factions of the world fighting each other but it's starting to look like maybe it's really about fighting the beyonders. Battleworld isn't a world where people battle each other, it's the final stand of the universe.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

oh godddd if Doom says "Avengers Assemble" I will lose my poo poo

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Nevvy Z posted:

I like that secret wars and battleworld make us think its about different factions of the world fighting each other but it's starting to look like maybe it's really about fighting the beyonders. Battleworld isn't a world where people battle each other, it's the final stand of the universe.

The Beyonders are DC continuity: Obsessed with reboots, forever trying to get that one unattainable perfect universe that always seems to end in another reboot. Battleworld is Marvel contunity: a patchwork collection of stories where the good stuff is never forgotten and the bad stuff mostly kind of fades away.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wachter posted:

oh godddd if Doom says "Avengers Assemble" I will lose my poo poo

"To me, My Avengers"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It feels as though him collecting badasses from the multiverse to put a final stand is a feint. He is called The Great Destroyer for a reason. Having civilians on Battleworld works in two ways. It keeps the heroes focused on protecting the weak and powerless instead of fighting in bigger scales amongst themselves. It also in essence gives Doom a ton of possible soft spot hostage targets in case he has more sinister schemes, he's Doom so that's a given, in order to have heroes follow his will. Time will tell I am so loving hype for this. And I'm also more convinced that Swan is an alternate adult Valeria somehow.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

PaybackJack posted:

What can I say, I like stubborn, sort of an rear end in a top hat, Steve Rogers.

Steve brought something terrible back from the future. WideThor is already showing signs of infection.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jiro posted:

He is called The Great Destroyer for a reason

That is just slander by Richards :doom:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
In NA #24 where Namor is talking to Doom, at that point does Doom know he's RA? I'm a little confused by the time line here.

Edit: I can't wait to see the fight between the Cabal and the Illuminati.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 11, 2015

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Guys, comics are really good again. This is some real cool poo poo going on here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No, not yet. Not sure if i should spoiler this but just in case Doom isn't going for salvation, Doom is going for the whole shebang this plan isn't to save the Multiverse, but to make Doom the only God of all the multiverse by getting the Heroes to kill the only thing that could stand in his way.. The Beyonders.

So yeah that's the end game for remember he truly in his heart believes as evidenced by the whole reveal that he is destined to rule.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's sort of funny how DC's reboot was so lame with "the world changed because barry tried to save his mom" while all this crazy awesome poo poo that's going on has me hyped as hell for secret wars and the reboot.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

That's not Thor, that's clearly young Santa Clause.

Glad to see the return of Ultimate Edit Thor.

"By Will Ferrell's pointy shoes, YOU WILL FALL!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

In NA #24 where Namor is talking to Doom, at that point does Doom know he's RA? I'm a little confused by the time line here.

No. Doom's rough timeline goes something like:

- Sidera Maris incursion in Latveria.
- He begins to research the remaining piece from the incursion.
- Has a sweet dinner with Richards and Strange. Probably poisoned it out of old habit.
- Continues researching now that he's probably correctly guessing Richards is behind this.
- Recruits the Molecule Man around this time maybe because he's Doom and he doesn't half rear end things.
- Establishes proper curfew for children.
- Has another sweet dinner with Namor. Proudly watches as Kristoff drops some burns.
- By now he (and the mad thinker) have figured out the Map-Maker network.
- Uses Molecule Man to find where and WHEN it all started.

From here on its an educated guess at best.

- Sees the Beyonders beginning to gently caress things up. Possibly witnesses the first incursion or realizes he caused that first incursion. Decides to fix things and set himself up as the God Savior of All.
- Establishes the library as HQ and recruits the swans. He begins using the incursion to further tie incursions as he gathers power and heroes (Battleworld?) in order to face the Beyonders since he knows where this is all leading to.
- The swans call him Rabum Alal, he rolls with it because he finds the idea of a religion in his name to be sweet as hell.
- Him, Molecule Man, and the swans have since been working against the Beyonders. How and how long exactly we don't know yet.
- The Black Priests show up and start doing their thing. At some point Doom hears Strange joined them. Asks for him to be spared.
- Strange arrives at the library and we see what happens.

To doom this has been a linear path that just happens to overlap at one point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So when he recruited Swan and we saw her and her brother as a child before she went into The Library, is there any chance she's an alternate version of Valeria? Seems possible if it's Doom.

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003

Deadpool posted:

So when he recruited Swan and we saw her and her brother as a child before she went into The Library, is there any chance she's an alternate version of Valeria? Seems possible if it's Doom.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe all the Swan's are.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Ugenesis posted:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe all the Swan's are.

I don't know, some of the Swans don't seem like Valeria at all like the ones who ripped their own eyes out or the ones with squid heads.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
There are NO WORDS here was such an oh poo poo moment, I thought it was way cooler than the reveal.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It would suck hard and make zero sense if the cult of fatalistic and superstitious hot witches turned out to be Valerias.

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER
IGN has an interview about the reveal with Marvel Executive Editor Tom Brevoort 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/11/avengers-villain-finally-revealed-in-new-avengers-30

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hohoh0 posted:

IGN has an interview about the reveal with Marvel Executive Editor Tom Brevoort 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/11/avengers-villain-finally-revealed-in-new-avengers-30

Oh cool so I was right on the money with how I read the issue.

quote:

Brevoort:
So, in essence, at certain points in the course of this story, there are effectively two Doctor Dooms. There is the Doctor Doom who's sitting at the table across from Namor, and the Doctor Doom who's Rabum Alal out in the multiverse, casting wide his net of Black Swans and presumably testing worlds on the great Wheel of Fate. It's just that one hasn't grown up to be the other one yet.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No.
To doom this has been a linear path that just happens to overlap at one point.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 12, 2015

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The funny thing is that when you give Hickman the keys to two Avengers titles for three years, he manages to make it all about FF. Not that I'm complaining, it's been one great, continuous Marvel megastory.

I will seriously miss the excitement this run has been giving me for years now.
Then again, I was gutted when his FF run ended and we got this instead.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This is essentially how Hickman is going to send off Richards and Co. Reed making a sacrifice to stop an out of control Beyonder(s) powered Doom, and his family following suit, for the time being. Or having ripped a hole open into wild white space they go as a family to explore as the universe heals itself. While of course the movie does it's thing and without a book to back it up the rights eventually return to Disney if I understood that movie biz story correctly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jiro posted:

This is essentially how Hickman is going to send off Richards and Co. Reed making a sacrifice to stop an out of control Beyonder(s) powered Doom, and his family following suit, for the time being. Or having ripped a hole open into wild white space they go as a family to explore as the universe heals itself. While of course the movie does it's thing and without a book to back it up the rights eventually return to Disney if I understood that movie biz story correctly.

The rights were basically sold to Fox, just like Spider-Man and the X-Men. The only way they revert is if Fox goes for a very long time without having a movie in production.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jiro posted:

Nah. We already have Valeria on the Runaways book. The F4 don't need a book to still have a good presence in the MU. All you have to do is keep them tied to all the poo poo Marvel owns so Fox can't use any of it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Starsnostars posted:

I don't know, some of the Swans don't seem like Valeria at all like the ones who ripped their own eyes out or the ones with squid heads.

I'm pretty sure some of the Swans are OBVIOUSLY specific people that I can't recall. Like Deathbird. That said:

The swan we've been following has 4 things hidden in her of her Families DNA, so maybe we'll see her betray Rabum Alal to resurrect them still

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Man. Good Lord. Jesus.

The God Squad Avengers drew the short end of the stick and I guess there go the Black Priests. The silent room, the Beyonders or Rabum Alal must have anticipated such a thing. No words. From here out you can figure that the fight against the Beyonders doesn't go well at all initially because Doom's a wreck on the cover of that one issue. All hope lies in Doom with Valeria and adult Franklin. Especially since Doom was involved in the original Secret Wars, it makes perfect sense with Hickman knowing history to use him like this only in his modern incarnation be grandoise but once again foolhardy or arrogant as to cause that one cover upcoming and it's gonna be Reed and the FF to help make Doom's battle world.

The FF being at the heart of this also makes sense. They're there at the start of Kirby and the M.U.

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm pretty sure some of the Swans are OBVIOUSLY specific people that I can't recall. Like Deathbird. That said:

The swan we've been following has 4 things hidden in her of her Families DNA, so maybe we'll see her betray Rabum Alal to resurrect them still

4 things you say. Guess she's a definite alt. Valeria.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 12, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I hope there will be a What If depicting what would have happened if the coin toss went the other way.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Jiro posted:

Hrrm, a high profile push to send off a disputed property before canning the books and integrating them with the rest of the universe.

*strokes second chin's neckbeard*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

redbackground posted:

I hope there will be a What If depicting what would have happened if the coin toss went the other way.

I think it might have ended better but still failure. The God Squad would be a better match for the Swans and Doom. Starbrand alone would have probably mass spelled the Swans in the Silent Room. and pretty sure there wouldn't have been the Silent Room for the Priests although they're in space, I'd figure if the Priests and Strange can manipulate reality and magic they might have been able to do something against the Beyonders to some reasonable fashion. Like the Priests were considered surgeon like for the multiverse, trying to cut things out or guide it, they probably might have stood a chance getting some offense in. The Beyonders just wiped out a ton of Ex Nihili, Builders, Manifold, etc. though this one has Thor, Starbrand, Nightmask, our Abyss and Ex Nhilio.

Captain Universe still has to come into play.

EDIT: Hickman's FF through Avengers is the loving BOMB. I don't think I've ever been so into it. Maybe Kingdom Come when I was a kid.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 12, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Beyonders have killed poo poo way above Thor and Hyperion's pay grade. They will toy with Thor and crew but then when things are looking grim Esad Ribic takes over drawing the pages and a now-worthy Thor wielding both the hammer of Thor (don't ask where he found it) and hammer of Thorr suddenly hits both hammers so hard you realize they're not hammers at all and now he's holding on to an even more powerful multiversal All Black The Necrosword made of the corpses of Order, Chaos, and Eternity itself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Beyonders would make a jackoff motion and unmake him while muttering to each other about how stupid that was. He is about as outclassed here as Hawkeye is outclassed everywhere. Really that can apply to every single character currently in the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can we still throw Squirrel Girl at this and make it work?

• Locked thread