Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Katanagatari Trip Report Part 4:

That was a loving magnificent troll. That said, I might not have appreciated it if I had to wait a month between episodes.

Also Jesus Christ, Nanami. :stonk: Way to make the trio of kidnapping assassins come off as tragic, doomed heroes. A loving fantastic fight, too.

That said, I really hope this wasn't the last we see of Hakuhei.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Trip Report Part 4:

That was a loving magnificent troll. That said, I might not have appreciated it if I had to wait a month between episodes.

Also Jesus Christ, Nanami. :stonk: Way to make the trio of kidnapping assassins come off as tragic, doomed heroes. A loving fantastic fight, too.

That said, I really hope this wasn't the last we see of Hakuhei.

Did you watch the next-episode preview at the end of three? (after the credits iirc) It makes it so much better and lets you actually see a tiny bit of the fight

All the people watching this for the first time inspired me to finish up my rewatch.

Man episode 9 was good!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Someone give me a really good series that's super short to watch after Panty and Stocking, please? I have a short attention span and get bored easily, so something with not a lot of episodes(a number in the 20s at most) is best for me. I like actiony, high octane stuff. Lots of fights, or races, or puzzle duels. On the other hand, I don't dislike all slower stuff. Wings of Honneamise and Turn A both rocked, they were really artistic and nice. As long as it's not deathly boring and has some beautiful flair.

OVAs and movies may also apply. I actually haven't seen many anime movies. Saw Akira, loved it, saw Summer Wars, hated it.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 9, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Time of Eve is very short and very good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

Someone give me a really good series that's super short to watch after Panty and Stocking, please? I have a short attention span and get bored easily, so something with not a lot of episodes(a number in the 20s at most) is best for me. I like actiony, high octane stuff. Lots of fights, or races, or puzzle duels. On the other hand, I don't dislike all slower stuff. Wings of Honneamise and Turn A both rocked, they were really artistic and nice. As long as it's not deathly boring and has some beautiful flair.

OVAs and movies may also apply. I actually haven't seen many anime movies. Saw Akira, loved it, saw Summer Wars, hated it.

Redline and Sword of the Stranger are both good action movies with little down time.

FLCL is a six-part OAV from when Gainax was still good, it is a lot of ridiculous action but actually following the story takes a reasonable amount of concentration. Maybe Gunbuster/Diebuster as well. Gunbuster kind of starts of slow and slowly ramps up the crazy though. You could skip straight to Diebuster but personally I think you'd be missing out.

Other than that, the same recommendations that were made for the guy who wanted more stuff like KLK, namely Yozakura Quartet and Re:Cutey Honey. Also there's the Gurren Lagan movies if you didn't want to bother with the whole series.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Redline, definitely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The second gurren lagann movie is fun but I'd recommend watching the series - or at least the first half of the series.

The first GL movie is really bad. Like, ten minutes of it is just a montage of episodes 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the show. And Kittan is never actually introduced to the viewer, he just shows up.

Admittedly, that makes the

"Never fear, ladies! The great Kittan is here to save the day!"
"Who are you, again?"

gag about ten times better

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the first movie is only really worth watching as a refresher and for the new stuff towards the end. Though it's still better than nothing if you don't wanna watch the series.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 9, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Redline and Sword of the Stranger are both good action movies with little down time.

Terper posted:

Redline, definitely.
Redline it is~! I've already seen Sword of the Stranger and liked it, though I don't remember much about it.

Sakurazuka posted:

Also there's the Gurren Lagan movies if you didn't want to bother with the whole series.

I watched the series and was disappointed the films were compilations. Compilation films are the only way I was ever able to get into UC Gundam so I can't complain too much, but I was expecting more new stuff and got let down.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The second movie has a fair amount of new stuff that loving owns and takes it up an even further notch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Baccano! was perfect for my ADHD rear end (in my experience the first episode is really confusing for everyone I show it to though, and seems to generally turn people off. I ended up watching it a second time just to absorb everything that happens. The first episode actually chronologically happens at the end though, so don't worry too much if you don't catch everything, full comprehension isn't strictly necessary).

Coffin Princess Chaika was also fantastic, very well done fight scenes. Gundam Build Fighters has the same praise (more budget, but not every fight scene knocks it out of the park like in Chaika).

Valvrave is just plain crazy, might be worth a shot for you. The Hellsing OVAs are stylish and good (though the fight choreography isn't that great and occasionally kind of awkward).

If you liked Turn A Gundam, have you seen Eureka Seven? My ADHD stopped me from really enjoying either, but I could definitely tell that Eureka Seven was a very good show.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Baccano! was perfect for my ADHD rear end (in my experience the first episode is really confusing for everyone I show it to though, and seems to generally turn people off. I ended up watching it a second time just to absorb everything that happens. The first episode actually chronologically happens at the end though, so don't worry too much if you don't catch everything, full comprehension isn't strictly necessary).

Seconding this. Also, Tiger & Bunny might be worth a shot - it has really fun characters, plenty of style and (thanks to its superhero theme) a lot of action as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

The first episode is a drunken blitz of a lot of the serie's events without context from all three time periods. It settles and starts proper in the second one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

The Hellsing OVAs are stylish and good (though the fight choreography isn't that great and occasionally kind of awkward).

Hellsing Ultimate is one of the best shows there are! :D You're right though, the fights were kind of slow.

ninjewtsu posted:

If you liked Turn A Gundam, have you seen Eureka Seven? My ADHD stopped me from really enjoying either, but I could definitely tell that Eureka Seven was a very good show.

I've heard the sequel series is a lot worse, can anyone confirm?

fezball posted:

Also, Tiger & Bunny might be worth a shot - it has really fun characters, plenty of style and (thanks to its superhero theme) a lot of action as well.

Tiger and Bunny is great. I still need to watch the movies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

Confirm, do not under any circumstances watch AO, it is a bad show and a terrible sequel.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

WickedHate posted:

Did you like Eureka Seven at all? Even just a tiny bit?

If so, you will not like AO. Well, unless you just liked the music. The music was good. Everything else was a steaming dog turd though. Hell, I'd recommend watching Captain Earth over AO. Captain Earth was at least just super boring.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought e7 was neat but not great, AO fine and inoffensive, captain earth boring and I couldn't finish.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Seems like you should watch K-ON

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Did you like Eureka Seven at all? Even just a tiny bit?

If so, you will not like AO. Well, unless you just liked the music. The music was good. Everything else was a steaming dog turd though. Hell, I'd recommend watching Captain Earth over AO. Captain Earth was at least just super boring.

Never seen any portion of AO but can confirm the music is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJdERiK97Z0

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Shingeki no Bahamut - Genesis was really drat good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i like near the end where favaro's hair is down and he was a bishonen all along

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dark horse of 2014, it had no right to be as good as it was.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I just finished Barakamon and as everyone here knows it's totally awesome and the most heartwarming little anime ever.

Can anyone rec me something with a similar vibe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

krampster2 posted:

I just finished Barakamon and as everyone here knows it's totally awesome and the most heartwarming little anime ever.

I don't know anything about Barakamon but Usagi Drop is a really good anime. Just don't read the manga.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/usagi-drop

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

krampster2 posted:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou had a somewhat similar feel to me, it's manga only though (less focus on adorable kids and more on the everyday life in a remote area, but really really good at that).

linall
Feb 1, 2007

krampster2 posted:

Chihayafuru has moments that are at least as heartwarming, but not as concentrated as Barakamon. Beyond that it is tough. Barakamon was the heartwarmingest thing I've seen in a long time. Maybe Your lie in April, if you can stand the show stepping on your heart at least as much as it warms it? Probably 60/40 stepping/warming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe Non Non Byori, it's much more a standard sol than Barakamon but shares the tiny village setting and having a kid that's cute and funny without being annoying.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Oh, and how could I recommend a manga and forget Yotsuba&, if Naru's antics were what you want more of this should be exactly what you want.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

krampster2 posted:

This might seem like an odd suggestion, but Kyousougiga. The entire way through Barakamon, I couldn't stop thinking about how much the story and the atmosphere of the show resembled Kyousogiga. Also Kyousogiga is absolutely amazing and everyone should watch it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I knew I was forgetting one. Yeah Bahamuto is really good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ViggyNash posted:

Also Kyousogiga is absolutely amazing and everyone should watch it.

I haven't seen Barakamon yet but I believe that this sentence is unarguably correct and the ending of Kyousougiga is heartwarming as hell.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thanks for your recs guys. I am watching Your Lie in April and it certainly does tickle my fancy in a similar way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Continuing the Katanagatari Trip Report, Parts 5 and 6

Honestly, wasn't that into episode 5. Some nice development for Schichika, but the rest was...boring. Seriously? I get that the point of the episode was that Schichika was overcomplicating things, but...they couldn't come up with anything cooler than just giving Armor-guy a good toss?

Episode 6 was better. Schichika is still pretty cool, if creepy. Was totally expecting him to murder the poo poo out of posessed Konayuki. Was very glad that he didn't.

Also...uh...is Nanami going around murdering all humanity? Because I'm pretty sure she's going around murdering all humanity. That character's getting dark in a hurry.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Trip Report Part 7

Jesus loving Christ, Nanami. You were...kind of hideously hosed up. Even if you're so goddamn determined to die, slaughtering a pair of villages was...rather unnnecessary.

The shifting art style was fun as a change of pace. I got a chuckle out of the VN/Touhou bit.

Hitei and Emonzaemon obviously have a bit of a "Dark Foil" thing going on with Togame and Schichika - I'll be interested to see how far they take that.

I'll also be interested to see what comes of the remaining Maniwa Corps - they've gotten steadily less comedic/Jobby as we've gotten further in.

The music's been good throughout this show, but goddamn it was in fine form in this episode. Set the tone perfectly in just about every scene, the highlights probably being Hitei's theme, the piano mix of Bahasa Palus, and those driving, ominous string chords that played as Nanami got back up and demanded that Schichika finish the fight.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 25, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

The music's been good throughout this show, but goddamn it was in fine form in this episode. Set the tone perfectly in just about every scene, the highlights probably being Hitei's theme, the piano mix of Bahasa Palus, and those driving, ominous string chords that played as Nanami got back up and demanded that Schichika finish the fight.

Yes, I adore the soundtrack. Especially the different versions of Bahasa Palus, but really just about all of it, and it's used so well.

Definitely still enjoying reading your thoughts, please continue.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I've been having a rough couple of weeks mentally/psychologically/whatever I'm fried and stressed as hell for no reason at all. I need something lighthearted and fun to cheer me the gently caress up. Dubs would be preferable but if it's good enough I don't care that much if it's subbed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Great Teacher Onizuka. I remember the dub being pretty solid, albeit with a lot of adlibbing since it was a comedy that got dubbed in the 90s.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
There is no better anime to chill out with than Non Non Biyori, though it's not dubbed. It's also getting a second season this summer, so if you dig it (why wouldn't you) there'll be more.

Best Boring Anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TARDISman posted:

I've been having a rough couple of weeks mentally/psychologically/whatever I'm fried and stressed as hell for no reason at all. I need something lighthearted and fun to cheer me the gently caress up. Dubs would be preferable but if it's good enough I don't care that much if it's subbed.

Talk to a therapist, anime is no placeholder for proper psychological treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
But when you're done seeing your therapist, you could always buy a volume of Yostuba&!

• Locked thread