Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroBravo
Jun 23, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

At the end of the night, everyone will stand up and clap rhythmically. It's three short bursts of three, then a single clap, repeated 3 times:

Down here in Kyushu my work nomikais always end with a single clap. The boss designates someone, they say 'Yooooooooiii' then we all clap together once. Then general applause for pulling it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Stringent posted:

Used panties I've only seen once in a box in the basement corner of some shady place in kabukicho - not that I've really gone looking for them, but if someone wants it as a tourist item it may be hard to find.

The condom store (Condomania) is a chain that I've also seen in Odaiba and I'm sure is elsewhere.

There are lots of good whiskeys and I'd recommend getting something other than just basic Suntory as a souvenir. Others in here are much more knowledgeable about whiskey than I am and can probably give great recommendations. Also - if there's a whiskey brand sold where you are from - check and see if they make any they sell overseas only. I had some coworkers buying some American brands to take home as they were specialties not sold in the states.

Logicool is just Logitech's Japanese branding name - not a lovely knockoff lol

If someone is into fashion there are a lot of brands you can only buy in certain areas. I had a coworker here that loves Burberry and his first stop was to buy Burberry Black label as it's only sold in Japan. I'm sure there are other similar products out there if that's your sort of thing.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Herr Tog posted:

Would it survive a plane ride or are you saying to get it and eat it immediately?

They will ask you if you want "ice" meaning a insulated bag with a ice bag in it. Get that and as long as you don't sit it on your dashboard home you will be fine. It is 150 yen more though, but you can fit 2 or 3 in the bag.

Or eat it at the airport :hambeast:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

The condom store (Condomania) is a chain that I've also seen in Odaiba and I'm sure is elsewhere.

There are lots of good whiskeys and I'd recommend getting something other than just basic Suntory as a souvenir. Others in here are much more knowledgeable about whiskey than I am and can probably give great recommendations. Also - if there's a whiskey brand sold where you are from - check and see if they make any they sell overseas only. I had some coworkers buying some American brands to take home as they were specialties not sold in the states.

Wibbleman posted:

They will ask you if you want "ice" meaning a insulated bag with a ice bag in it. Get that and as long as you don't sit it on your dashboard home you will be fine. It is 150 yen more though, but you can fit 2 or 3 in the bag.

Or eat it at the airport :hambeast:

Also very useful information

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Herr Tog posted:

Would it survive a plane ride or are you saying to get it and eat it immediately?

They sell a nice shiny thermal bag for 100 and put an ice gel pack in there when you get one, one bag is enough to hold up to 5 boxes or more I think; it's a decent size and they tape it down to fit your purchase.

e: you can check out royce's website for info about their stuff. Had the champagne one already and it was fantastic, still need to get to the Au Lait and Ghana Bitter one. The chips are ok, but the chocolate to potato chip ratio is a bit high, as weird as that sounds. The nama chocolate and the chips are the only things on the page that were at the airport when I went.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 11, 2015

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

They have ROYCE stores in NY, NJ and CA now, and you can also buy nama chocolate for delivery in the US, just in case the idea of lugging all that home from the airport is unappealing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

AstroBravo posted:

Down here in Kyushu my work nomikais always end with a single clap. The boss designates someone, they say 'Yooooooooiii' then we all clap together once. Then general applause for pulling it off.

Yeah, that's also a thing. It's good to know the triplets pattern, though, just in case there's more than one clap.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: I'm thinking day trip Nara and Kamakura too?

Kamakura may have been my day of wandering around when I went.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Kamakura may have been my day of wandering around when I went.

I dunno what this means

Anyway so far we are gonna do 2 days Kyoto, 2 days in Osaka but both actually day trips to Nara then Kobe and pretty much ignoring Osaka, bunch of days near the end in Tokyo (maybe like 6) and figuring out the rest at the moment. We wanna go Sapporo but it might be inconvenient.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How dumb/screwed am I?

I'm staying outside of Nagoya starting on Saturday until March 31st. I was having issues finding the appropriate JR ticket to get me to/from Kyoto and Hiroshima for fairly cheap so I was planning on buying two Tokaido/Sanyo passes at O'Hare since those are the lines I need to get out west. Then I finally found the page for the JR Pass ($380 for 14 days versus $560 for 10). Problem is... I leave in like 36 hours.

Should I see if they'll ship the voucher to where I'm staying? How boned am I?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jesus I Just looked up Kobe hotels for the same period j was gonna stay in Osaka and I'm thinking of just staying there

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Jesus I Just looked up Kobe hotels for the same period j was gonna stay in Osaka and I'm thinking of just staying there

There is literally no where to stay in kyoto for the days I'm in, there has to be some secret Japanese booking.com

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

pinegala posted:

There is literally no where to stay in kyoto for the days I'm in, there has to be some secret Japanese booking.com

Yeah I dunno what is up this year. I booked this same time last year for April and was fine. Like, all of Japan is full everywhere ?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I dunno what is up this year. I booked this same time last year for April and was fine. Like, all of Japan is full everywhere ?

I blame the exchange rate

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Check Airbnb? I found Kyoto housing on short notice with it, though before the cherry blossoms were happening.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Phone posted:

How dumb/screwed am I?

I'm staying outside of Nagoya starting on Saturday until March 31st. I was having issues finding the appropriate JR ticket to get me to/from Kyoto and Hiroshima for fairly cheap so I was planning on buying two Tokaido/Sanyo passes at O'Hare since those are the lines I need to get out west. Then I finally found the page for the JR Pass ($380 for 14 days versus $560 for 10). Problem is... I leave in like 36 hours.

Should I see if they'll ship the voucher to where I'm staying? How boned am I?

I think you are pretty much boned. I live in FL and got my JR Pass voucher FedEx'd from London. It only took a few days, but I don't think you have enough time.

Go here and do the estimated delivery time thing

http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/book-jrp/delivery-rates-and-times

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 11, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radiohead71 posted:

I think you are pretty much boned. I live in FL and got my JR Pass voucher FedEx'd from London. It only took a few days, but I don't think you have enough time.

Go here and do the estimated delivery time thing

http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/book-jrp/delivery-rates-and-times

I called them and emailed them to no avail. I'm going to be staying with a friend who lives in Japan and they say they can deliver, but I don't know.

JAL basically said "welp" on the phone, so I booked a 7 day pass through JTB USA which says "order by 3pm PT" at 5:40PM EDT and chose overnight shipping. If I don't get the pass tomorrow, I can try my luck at the JAL counter in O'Hare and refund the JTB one when I get home.

Japan-rail-pass just got back to me, haha. I can ship it to a Japanese address, so that's an option as well.

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 11, 2015

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Massive amounts of foreign tourists. Japan is cheap and Chinese people are coming like crazy.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I dunno what this means

Anyway so far we are gonna do 2 days Kyoto, 2 days in Osaka but both actually day trips to Nara then Kobe and pretty much ignoring Osaka, bunch of days near the end in Tokyo (maybe like 6) and figuring out the rest at the moment. We wanna go Sapporo but it might be inconvenient.

Somehow the word "favorite" disappeared on me.

Kamakura may have been my favorite day of wandering around when I went.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pinegala posted:

I stayed here when I went, it's pretty close to Kyoto station and it worked out pretty well and was really cheap: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3803326?s=P6Tv

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

duckfarts posted:

I stayed here when I went, it's pretty close to Kyoto station and it worked out pretty well and was really cheap: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3803326?s=P6Tv

looks great, but it's booked solid for the first week of April (and even a month before and after).

EDIT: scratch that, if anyone has suggestions for kyoto, including possibly staying in osaka, I could you use your help. Airbnb, hostelworld, agoda, booking.com, and all googleable capsules have failed. No student-priced place for 4 for the dates 4/5 - 4/8.

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 12, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Day tripping it from Osaka ain't bad.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'd try searching for places in villages along the train lines leading out of Kyoto, onsen towns in particular. Try hostels, minshukus (basically, a Ryokan without fluff), and so on.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

pinegala posted:

looks great, but it's booked solid for the first week of April (and even a month before and after).

EDIT: scratch that, if anyone has suggestions for kyoto, including possibly staying in osaka, I could you use your help. Airbnb, hostelworld, agoda, booking.com, and all googleable capsules have failed. No student-priced place for 4 for the dates 4/5 - 4/8.

Airbnb seems to have places for april 6-8. It might be the weekend messing up your reservation?

Edit: you're a group right? There are pretty big houses that if you split the price among everyone become reasonably priced.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 12, 2015

the turnip prince
Sep 21, 2004

We had this problem too. We tried booking a month out, and there was practically nothing anywhere… Through sheer persistence we were able to be hooked up by friends of friends.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

There's a place called ホテル洛西 which appears to have 2 rooms available for those dates, 4000 yen per person includes breakfast. However it's a 40min bus ride from Kyoto station and may or may not be a love hotel (probably not given that they have washitsu)

I would post the Rakuten Travel link but :effort:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

just stay in osaka and get the hankyu up there for the day, i dunno what the big deal is man. its like 450 yen or something each way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

opus111 posted:

just stay in osaka and get the hankyu up there for the day, i dunno what the big deal is man. its like 450 yen or something each way.

Osaka is super crowded during those dates too. Stuff is available but costing way more than it should.

riderkick
May 7, 2007

A question for Tokyo goons.

I have a friend coming from the US to stay with us for 2 weeks. Unfortunately I won't be able to take all that time off to show him around. And he only speaks English, but he's pretty adventurous, courteous and not a dumbass.

What would be some good locations for him to travel on his own with limited guidance?

Places I will be taking him to:
Nikko
Kamakura/Enoshima
Fuji
Tsukuji

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Heading over to JP again in a week, looking forward to showing my wife around the place and am really pleased to be in town for the Magritte exhibit.

http://magritte2015.jp/english.html

Will be in Tokyo from 24th-30, then over to Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nagasaki and back out through Osaka.

Hanging out to start jamming gyoza and beer in my face-hole.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dear incoming tourists,

Baseball season has begun!!!!!

Edit: Also, finishes in November.

peanut fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 15, 2015

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

peanut posted:

Dear incoming tourists,

Baseball season has begun!!!!!

How long does it run?

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Jake Soo posted:

How long does it run?

All the way home

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Any reason why all hotels for April 3rd - April 5th or April 4th - April 6th in Osaka are sold out? I've checked Expedia, Hostelworld, AirBnb, Priceline etc. However, if you check availability for hotel rooms this weekend, there are plenty available. What's going on? I assume its because of the cherry blossom season. Are there Japanese websites that I can make a reservation on?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 15, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

Any reason why all hotels for April 3rd - April 5th or April 4th - April 6th in Osaka are sold out? I've checked Expedia, Hostelworld, AirBnb, Priceline etc. However, if you check availability for hotel rooms this weekend, there are plenty available. What's going on? I assume its because of the cherry blossom season. Are there Japanese websites that I can make a reservation on?

Everything in Japan is booked during early april, way more so than last year. Someone said in this thread there's way more tourists booking this time. I ended up booking stuff for Osaka 6-8, and Kyoto 8-10 but I'm not super happy with what I booked in Osaka (I know I'm paying way too much for what it is) and in Kyoto while the place looks amazing it just ended up being pretty drat expensive

The good thing that came out of it was we were encouraged to actually spend some days in the smaller towns so that'll be nice. Also the exchange rate in Japan itself is pretty good at the moment so stuff day to day will be cheaper

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 15, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Shoot, I've been planning this trip since the beginning of the year and just now I'm starting to look at hotel accommodations. You snooze you lose I guess. I was told that beginning of April is when everyone starts going back to work so it shouldn't be too busy... man, was I wrong. I'll have my Japanese family see if there are any hotel rooms available in Osaka by calling around. Wish me luck.

edit: Also, are there any cool places for two young guys to stay a night in on the coast near Kanazawa? Speaking Japanese is no problem.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 15, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Students are still off the first week of April. Regular workers might also stay in hotels until they get their new apartments settled.

Also, sakura, mainlanders, other goons and recent graduates.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Possible to do the Hiroshima Atomic Museum + Miyajima in a day? Leaving Osaka in the morning, checking into the hotel, going to the museum, then ending the day at Miyajima (Planning on hiking to the top of the mountain and heading back after sunset)

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
No one ever considers staying on Miyajima, which is the way to do it in my opinion. Don't have to worry about missing the ferry and it is a wonderful, romantic walk at night. If you're around for the tide being out you can walk all the way up to the torii gate. Obviously pricier than a typical night at a hotel, but for travelers not on a tight budget, especially couples, I highly recommend it.

But yes, you can do both, you'll just have to plan it out and keep your eye on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

That's very busy. I did the dome, peace park, museum 1 day and Miyajima the 2nd. I'm sure you can do it, but I would budget 2 days if you can. Which hotel in Hiroshima? The Sheraton next to train station is fantastic.

• Locked thread