Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, though I can't say I've ever noticed it on my iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
You're probably just not paying the 3,99$/month premium for Rogers Super HD Voice!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

Android 5.1 is supposedly bringing in HD voice. This is supported on Rogers, right?

My Nexus 5 on 5.0.1 has HD Voice, using TELUS.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The 5 - 10 minutes of voice calls I use each month will definitely benefit from being in HD

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Scudworth posted:

The 5 - 10 minutes of voice calls I use each month will definitely benefit from being in HD

Pretty much. I only get HD Voice when making calls between other subscribers on the same network (in my case TELUS.) and if they have a handset that's HD voice ready.

In summary, nobody you call is going to be in HD voice, due to some incompatibility in provider/codec/handset. I only have one person. (literally one) where HD voice works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

less than three posted:

My Nexus 5 on 5.0.1 has HD Voice, using TELUS.

Specific phones have had HD Voice for the last 3 years or so. 5.1 is apparently making it a system level feature.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looking at picking up a used Z2 but its with Bell and I'm with Koodo. Will I really have to pay for an unlock code? I got a code for my S3 for free.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
That's really up to the person who sells it to you...

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 11, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I hope Wind gets that new infrastructure built soon.

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television
What network is public mobile on?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Paccione posted:

Telus.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I ended up not unlocking my Note 3 and selling it locked to Rogers for $385 + shipping on eBay. That is good, no?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mobilicity sure is taking their sweet time porting this Fido prepaid number.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I got my final/cancellation Bell bill: $175.
Still totally worth it :pervert:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Wind sent me a text saying my account was upgraded because I am such a valued customer, so now I am allowed to add more "lines" to my account. Lines? Like land lines? Why not say "number", and how is this an upgrade considering I would probably have to pay for an additional number, right?

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
Sounds like the same BS Rogers/Fido used to do; add a second 'subscriber' who is clearly the same person to boost the total number of subscribers using Wind.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
Do any providers offer my5 or unlimited calling to a single number anymore?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ColonelMoutard posted:

Do any providers offer my5 or unlimited calling to a single number anymore?

Koodo SK/MB plan gives you unlimited nationwide voice, to one number.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Paccione posted:

Not only is it on the Telus network, Public Mobile IS Telus.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It's the time of the year when 7-11 runs their $125 credit for $100 promo, plus this time around you also get a free SIM. The credit expires in a year from the latest top-up, the incoming messages are free, network is Rogers, no contracts, no personal info required. SIMs are dual size, so you can turn that saved just in case flip phone into a cheap burner.

They now offer data as an add-on and monthly plans:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So just to make sure I understand Wind, if you are in their "Partner" area (away) you are basically roaming and get charged per minute/whatever which is outside of the plan rates, right?

https://www.windmobile.ca/network-and-coverage/coverage

IE: I do not live in Calgary or the immediate area, I'm in the lightest color of orange, so I am SOL right?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

slidebite posted:

IE: I do not live in Calgary or the immediate area, I'm in the lightest color of orange, so I am SOL right?

Yup.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

There's an update for Android 5.1 on my phone since yesterday. How safe is this to do on Mobilicity?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Same here for Wind. Lollipop update. I'm going to wait a bit after hearing all the problems with the first release they had to pull back.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Dillbag posted:

Same here for Wind. Lollipop update. I'm going to wait a bit after hearing all the problems with the first release they had to pull back.

I'm on wind, had my moto x replaced the first time around, and I had no problems going to 5.0.1.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

5.0.1 has been a garbage filled joke on my Nexus 4. Random app crashes, phone resets, unreliable battery life indicator, camera app losing connection with the camera- all poo poo that doesn't occur 100% of the time but still rears its head at inexplicable and un-duplicatable moments. There are some real benefits though, I love having the flashlight app built into the system drawer, the UI is quite pretty and it's got great a great data usage monitor.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

thunderspanks posted:

5.0.1 has been a garbage filled joke on my Nexus 4.

Out of curiousity, what version of Google Play Services do you have on your device ? A friend of mine got a Google Play Services update last month and it made his Nexus 4 pretty much unusable. Tried to manually revert its update but couldn't easily do that. Settled for a factory reset and everything was fine after that.

I also got that Google Play Services update on my Nexus 4 and I had to do a restart to make everything proper again. The only downside is the Smart Lock for trusted locations doesn't work any more :(

rt_hat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 2, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I've been having the same problems on my 4, lots of lost connection and errors pretty much since 5.00

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Right now, Koodo has 300 minutes and 300mb for $36 with your own phone. Fido has 400mb for $40, same minutes. Is there really much of a difference? I know the thread at least used to love Koodo, don't know what the opinion on Fido is. I'm in Kitchener and don't travel too much.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Idunn posted:

Right now, Koodo has 300 minutes and 300mb for $36 with your own phone. Fido has 400mb for $40, same minutes. Is there really much of a difference? I know the thread at least used to love Koodo, don't know what the opinion on Fido is. I'm in Kitchener and don't travel too much.
Koodo uses the bell/telus network and fido uses Rogers so go with whatever one has better coverage in your area I guess. Or whichever one you hate less :)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

so mobilicity has been granted another stay of execution. i have service until at least august 31st!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I've reached my breaking point with my folks hanging on to their crummy old flipphones. What's the best option to get a couples plan in BC with a pair of subsidized 16gb iPhone 5s? They won't need much data at all, cheaper is better. Not in Vancouver so Wind is out.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm trying to get rid of an old iPhone 4S that used to be mine but was used by my partner for a few months. Obviously the 4S isn't in huge demand anymore and having it locked to TELUS has made responses pretty slim. Would TELUS still unlock the phone for me even though it's not currently on any contract and hasn't been attached to my account in over a year? I figure I'll have better success selling it unlocked.

\/\/ oh forget it I'll just bring it into an EB Games or something

robodex fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 4, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

I'm trying to get rid of an old iPhone 4S that used to be mine but was used by my partner for a few months. Obviously the 4S isn't in huge demand anymore and having it locked to TELUS has made responses pretty slim. Would TELUS still unlock the phone for me even though it's not currently on any contract and hasn't been attached to my account in over a year?

i think they will, they'll charge you like 50 bucks for it tho

i did that to an iphone 4 on bell

edit: doesn't iphone 4 have that unpatchable bootloader exploit so it can be jailbroken forever? can't you just unlock it yourself?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

I've reached my breaking point with my folks hanging on to their crummy old flipphones. What's the best option to get a couples plan in BC with a pair of subsidized 16gb iPhone 5s? They won't need much data at all, cheaper is better. Not in Vancouver so Wind is out.

2 iPhones with unlimited calling and 750mb data each would be $160/month from TELUS. $0 hardware for iPhone 5c, $155 for 5s.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

BGrifter posted:

Would just getting them newer flip phones be an option? Older people with Too Much Phone is a whole new set of problems for you and them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

less than three posted:

2 iPhones with unlimited calling and 750mb data each would be $160/month from TELUS. $0 hardware for iPhone 5c, $155 for 5s.

Ouch, that bad huh? $160/month is insane. I'm guessing the $60/month 2gb plan I'm on with Koodo is no longer available to new customers?

Scudworth posted:

Would just getting them newer flip phones be an option? Older people with Too Much Phone is a whole new set of problems for you and them.

They've got an iPad at home they're pretty comfortable with so the transition to an iPhone should be ok.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

BGrifter posted:

Ouch, that bad huh? $160/month is insane. I'm guessing the $60/month 2gb plan I'm on with Koodo is no longer available to new customers?

At that price, I'd expect your plan is either not subsidized or at least a 3 year one. With 2 year plans, subsidies show their true colours.

If they've been using flip phones for a while, then a brand new iPhone is probably going to last them as long as the hardware lasts... Pay it up front and don't get shafted by subsidized plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just get the SKMB plan with Koodo... 110 bucks for two lines, 5 gb each