Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Startyde posted:

Good thing, that's Old Testament, real wrath of god type stuff.

"Gungnir" now I just have to win the lottery.

You'll need another 18U of VCAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

so with those modular sequencers with all the switches and stuff what determines the pitch of a step? I can't really get my head around these things

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My Pro 2 just arrived. This is one fantastic synth.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

A MIRACLE posted:

so with those modular sequencers with all the switches and stuff what determines the pitch of a step? I can't really get my head around these things

A knob allows you to select a voltage per step. There are usually multiple voltages per step. One of those can be pitch.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Oldstench posted:

It really looks like you're hung up on discrete-time vs continuous-time re: a very pedantic interpretation of analog vs digital.

Also, my Piston Honda would like to have a word with whatever 100% analog VCO you want to throw against it in a drone-off.

someone asked my opinion and i gave it. thats hardly a hangup, is it? there are distinctions between digital and analog, and they only really matter in terminology, hence definitions.
im glad you enjoy your digital modules, some of my favorite hardware is completely digital. but sometimes its fun to let oscillators drift for days. thats why i like my vcos

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

renderful posted:

On that one it looks like there are 4 voltages that come out per step. Each of the four knobs selects a voltage, per step.

In case your next thought is "isn't it hard to get those knobs right on a particular pitch?" the answer is yes and that is why you almost always use a sequencer alongside a quantizer so that you can quantize those knobbie pitches into musical pitches. Or if your quantizer is rad and you are one bad dude, nonmusical, microtonal pitches!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Man Kraftwerk had it rough.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mutable is going to get all my tax money this year.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

toadee posted:

In case your next thought is "isn't it hard to get those knobs right on a particular pitch?" the answer is yes and that is why you almost always use a sequencer alongside a quantizer so that you can quantize those knobbie pitches into musical pitches. Or if your quantizer is rad and you are one bad dude, nonmusical, microtonal pitches!

Okay cool that's basically what I was asking. Most of the videos I've seen are just a lot of nonmusical farting noises so I was wondering (don't kill me) if anyone ever used these things for actual songs

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Okay cool that's basically what I was asking. Most of the videos I've seen are just a lot of nonmusical farting noises so I was wondering (don't kill me) if anyone ever used these things for actual songs

lol. No.

We didn't buy these to make music.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Psh speak for yourself.

Didn't say it was good music though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
All RadioShak had to do was start selling 200-in-1 synthesizer kits and they'd have been gol-- wait that LittleBits stuff, never mind.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Mr. Sharps posted:

Psh speak for yourself.

drat this is so good!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Voting that we no longer describe oscillators in terms of their analogness, but rather in terms of their crescent freshness.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
fashionable oscs

made by voog

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

Voting that we no longer describe oscillators in terms of their analogness, but rather in terms of their crescent freshness.

Flatulence. As in, "Don't you know that VCO's are far more flatulent!?" (raises eyebrow)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

0dB posted:

Flatulence. As in, "Don't you know that VCO's are far more flatulent!?" (raises eyebrow)

Nah, if we're co-opting terms instead of using intentionally nonsense ones, I'd prefer cis. "Those oscillators can't do genuine hard sync, they are cis"

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I don't know, couldn't we use a scale with a cool Bondesque abbreviation or something?
These Oscilators rate 34.41 F.A.R.T.Z

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Sizone posted:

Nah, if we're co-opting terms instead of using intentionally nonsense ones, I'd prefer cis. "Those oscillators can't do genuine hard sync, they are cis"

Edge trigger warning this poo poo

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Edge trigger warning this poo poo

Please don't talk about F.A.R.T.Z. as it triggers traumatic flashbacks of my time in the jungles of 'NAMM.

When I close my eyes I can hear the sound of littlebits, like the blades of a huey tearing up the night sky.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr. Sharps posted:

Psh speak for yourself.

Dude, that sounds great. I'm trying to be in the same camp - don't get me wrong, I do like the occasional atonal experimental soundscape and all, but I'm still trying to use my modular to make music in the more traditional sense, because there's a special feeling in taming robot farts until they sound beautiful.

Also, and this is just me, I feel like I'm getting a better measure of musical progress, learning, experience etc. with modular by trying to play within traditional musical boundaries because it gives me a better self-evaluation between "I'm experimenting with an ultimate goal in mind" and "I'm plugging in all of my patch cables, tweaking the knobs and calling it an experiment". Not that others can't, but it keeps me more honest, and hopefully this doesn't result in the 100 page argument they had over at muffwiggler on this.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

Psh speak for yourself.

I just watched a bunch of your videos and that thing is really cool!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

Psh speak for yourself.

i'm desperately trying to avoid getting into modular synths and you're not helping.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

Psh speak for yourself.

I didn't mean to cause another stupid derail with my flippant comment. Your melodic stuff is very nice.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

Psh speak for yourself.

This case is really cool, what is it? Did you just dump a system into a case for something else?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Tell us about your rig Mr Glass!

Looks like he's using the Synthrotek 6U + 1U case. I've got one as well, quite a good enclosure for a small system

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Tell us about your rig Mr Glass!

i don't have a modular rig (yet). perhaps you meant Mr. Sharps? in which case this was linked off of the video: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/67852

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like that it looks like it's in a tackle box. Have you ever taken your modular out fishing accidentally?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Wait, what in the hell? Roland just released a new System-1 plug-out that emulates a vintage Roland synth I literally didn't even know existed until 5 minutes ago?

Please don't take away my fanboi card, Roland. I feel like Neo must have felt just after taking the red pill.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Radiapathy posted:

Wait, what in the hell? Roland just released a new System-1 plug-out that emulates a vintage Roland synth I literally didn't even know existed until 5 minutes ago?

Please don't take away my fanboi card, Roland. I feel like Neo must have felt just after taking the red pill.

Pro Mars are pretty neat - kind of a one-voice Jupiter Four. Or the only "Jupiter Monosynth."

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Mr. Glass posted:

i don't have a modular rig (yet). perhaps you meant Mr. Sharps? in which case this was linked off of the video: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/67852

Yes yes, too many Mr. on this thread. Thank you

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
it's a really bad idea for me to ask this (because :homebrew:), but what's the bare minimum i would need to get started with eurorack? should i start with just a VCA, VCO, filter, and maybe a sequencer or midi-to-cv module, or should i get something somewhat self-contained like this and add stuff over time?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

bare minimum would be just an oscillator

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Mr. Glass posted:

it's a really bad idea for me to ask this (because :homebrew:), but what's the bare minimum i would need to get started with eurorack? should i start with just a VCA, VCO, filter, and maybe a sequencer or midi-to-cv module, or should i get something somewhat self-contained like this and add stuff over time?

It entirely depends on what you hope to do with this system. You could do a tiny doepfer case with an oscillator and any CV modifier and be good to go for "bare minimum."

It's so odd to me that we're in a post-Mutable Instruments world where you could literally have like, a Braids and be totally good to go. We're almost evolving backwards in euro world to the ROMpler nineties (interface wise).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

A Intellijel Atlantis is basically a semi-modular SH-101. You could do much worse starting out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm in love with glassy/watery tones. None of that 8 bit poo poo. What do I need to make this tia.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I'm in love with glassy/watery tones. None of that 8 bit poo poo. What do I need to make this tia.

"Glassy" screams FM to me. "Watery" makes me think of Korg-like filters. Everyone else will have a different idea.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

net work error posted:

I like that it looks like it's in a tackle box. Have you ever taken your modular out fishing accidentally?

I haven't taken it fishing but I have it on good authority that it makes a great flotation device in the event of an accident.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

BonoMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj-BPvcf5sw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oldstench posted:

"Glassy" screams FM to me. "Watery" makes me think of Korg-like filters. Everyone else will have a different idea.

But we all know yours is the only one that matters. So I'm runnin' with it.