Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, poking around the Dragon Ball wiki, and I was amused to see that (via a movie pamphlet, but still), Pilaf's power level is given at 40.

Yes, the shrimpy emperor who never fought without using a giant robot and has his minions do everything is four times stronger than series-starting Goku and eight times stronger than a man with a shotgun.

Sadly, Yamcha doesn't get any power level in any material until the start of DBZ, so I can't tell if he's stronger than Yamcha too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I legitimately would not have minded a Hercule vs. Spopovitch rematch where he gets revenge for his daughter. :(

Well now we have something to hope for in Xenoverse 2

Also just watched World's Strongest again, and man considering what Dr Wheelo was able to do without any awareness of what Goku and the others could do beforehand, just imagine what he could have done if he'd had the levels of preparedness that Dr Gero had, he probably would have been an even bigger threat

Also Goku gets the crap kicked out of him in this movie hardcore(and his fight with Piccolo this movie is one of the best fights in early DBZ in my opinion)

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Isn't Hercule the only person, along with Supreme Kai, to never die in the whole series?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

sharktamer posted:

Isn't Hercule the only person, along with Supreme Kai, to never die in the whole series?

Yes, it's amazing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
And Fortuneteller Baba.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Does Jackie Chun count?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

The entire movie happens, Frieza is defeated, the day is saved, credits, and then it cuts back in and Hercule and the frieza soldier are still circling each other.
It's Mr. Sensetive vs Tony Stark all over again.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think this thread has to have the fastest posting rate of any ADTRW thread ever. 100 posts in half a day, and that's not particularly unusual.

NowonSA posted:

Hopefully this wasn't already posted, since it's a week old on YouTube, but behold the sickest DBZ figure that will ever exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22hp-WBoTTc

This is among the best things I've ever seen and I want it so bad.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So wait, in DBM, is this side-story for the active Fat Buu in the tournament, or Zen Buu?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Zen i believe.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Leaf posted:

So wait, in DBM, is this side-story for the active Fat Buu in the tournament, or Zen Buu?

Yeah, it's Zen Buu, because he's the one who absorbed or destroyed everything in his universe. Fat Buu just never rebelled from Babidi and went around destroying things at Babidi's whim.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You needed 6 super saiyins to make a Super Saiyin god and Pan apparently counted even though she was a fetus. Even if you ignore the SSJ requirement that baby is apparently still stronger than Tarble because Vegeta says he'd be too weak to help them with the ritual.

This is from a few pages back but there's so so much wrong in this post. It's never mentioned that SSJ is needed, just 6 saiyans of pure heart, and Vegeta only dismisses Tarble because he doesn't know where Tarble is or how long it would take to get him there.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, it's Zen Buu, because he's the one who absorbed or destroyed everything in his universe. Fat Buu just never rebelled from Babidi and went around destroying things at Babidi's whim.

I figured it was Fat Buu since it's him fighting Uub next. I really wanted him to sneak up and eat Super Buu while he's loving around with Goku and Vegeta or something.

I really wish DBM would stop the ramping up of gravity between matches. I think it takes away a bit. I know it's to make it harder on the contestants and rarely really factors, but still..

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

-Fish- posted:

This is from a few pages back but there's so so much wrong in this post. It's never mentioned that SSJ is needed, just 6 saiyans of pure heart, and Vegeta only dismisses Tarble because he doesn't know where Tarble is or how long it would take to get him there.
Yeah. Goku's instant transmission doesn't really come into play if he doesn't know where to transmit *to*.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

-Fish- posted:

Bulma even chastises him for not having his brother's space-phone number.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah. Goku's instant transmission doesn't really come into play if he doesn't know where to transmit *to*.

He just has to lock onto a particular ki. Hell, he grabbed Dende off New Namek despite never directly interacting with any Namekians - he just had to find a bunch of ki signatures similar to Piccolo's. (He had to go to King Kai's planet and ask which direction they were in, but still pulled it off all the same.)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it always annoyed me that Goku didn't grab king kai and co and transmission back to earth before Cell blew up

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zonekeeper posted:

He just has to lock onto a particular ki. Hell, he grabbed Dende off New Namek despite never directly interacting with any Namekians - he just had to find a bunch of ki signatures similar to Piccolo's. (He had to go to King Kai's planet and ask which direction they were in, but still pulled it off all the same.)

Tarble is also poo poo weak so he probably doesn't have a notable enough ki signature to lock on to from long range.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zonekeeper posted:

(He had to go to King Kai's planet and ask which direction they were in, but still pulled it off all the same.)

I think that might be the key point here. Vegeta didn't even know what galaxy Tarble was in. Galaxies are biiiiiig and really far away from each other

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Given how impatient Beerus was, I'm not sure there would be a planet to return to if Goku left to find someone else.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Augus posted:

I think that might be the key point here. Vegeta didn't even know what galaxy Tarble was in. Galaxies are biiiiiig and really far away from each other

But Tarble was able to find his way to Earth in what was a standard space pod so either he was okay with spending years upon years asleep/bored or he wasn't that far away.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
This board goes too fast

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Pureauthor posted:

But Tarble was able to find his way to Earth in what was a standard space pod so either he was okay with spending years upon years asleep/bored or he wasn't that far away.

Or maybe that space pod was shot off a ship with FTL.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Pureauthor posted:

I mean that entire thing did seem like a big deal to him, even if it ended being a trivial event in our heroes lives.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pureauthor posted:

I figure everyone knows where Earth is by now, and it's surrounded by the galactic equivalent of yellow caution tape. People might not know all the details, but someone down there took down Frieza and Majin Buu. Also they have some Saiyans kicking around, even though they all died 30 years ago? Also the planet blew up once, but it's still there. It's basically an interstellar no-fly-zone to everyone but the extremely brave and/or crazy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Squallege posted:

This board goes too fast

These gifs need to loop faster. Especially the second one.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

YggiDee posted:

I figure everyone knows where Earth is by now, and it's surrounded by the galactic equivalent of yellow caution tape. People might not know all the details, but someone down there took down Frieza and Majin Buu. Also they have some Saiyans kicking around, even though they all died 30 years ago? Also the planet blew up once, but it's still there. It's basically an interstellar no-fly-zone to everyone but the extremely brave and/or crazy.
I'm liking this mental image of Earth as some kind of weird rear end Bermuda Triangle in intergalactic space travel.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

YggiDee posted:

Part of the Dragon Ball Online backstory had it that some more or the remnants of Freeza's forces tried to avenge him, but had to wait until they knew Earth's greatest Warrior (which was, according to broadcasts, Hercule) passed on to invade the planet.

Trunks, Goten, Pan, and Uub all wiped them out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hell in the comic for Revival of F. Sorbet finally just says after being told they still can't locate new namek, that while he was hoping they would not have to they are going to earth.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

StrifeHira posted:

Part of the Dragon Ball Online backstory had it that some more or the remnants of Freeza's forces tried to avenge him, but had to wait until they knew Earth's greatest Warrior (which was, according to broadcasts, Hercule) passed on to invade the planet.

Trunks, Goten, Pan, and Uub all wiped them out.

So, what you're saying is that Hercule gets credit for beating all three of the main villains in DBZ? :allears:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hercule, the universe's most powerful man

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiritus Nox posted:

These gifs need to loop faster. Especially the second one.

The speed of the second one makes it look less like Vegeta has utterly beaten Goku and more like it's Vegeta's birthday.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My only grievance with Goku vs Majin Vegeta is that the fight ending blow is a bitch shot with +9999 plot damage. It's just kind of lame that after all they do, a hammer blow to the back of the end knocked Goku out cold long enough for Majin Vegeta vs Fatty Buu. I'd have just had Vegeta knock him out cold straight up, but eh.

You can't argue Goku won that second fight, but I wouldn't really argue he won the first considering it took everyone to win and the finishing blow was kind of him loving up (shocker!) by being under Gohan. Vegeta's motivation is to beat a guy he's arguably 2-0 against.

e:

e2:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 12, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Goku vs Vegeta round 2 could have been fantastic but execution-wise it just felt like Toriyama doing it out of obligation to finally get that lingering story thread out of the way rather than any real desire to actually make it happen. It's not nearly as bad as the whole Naruto vs Sasuke debacle because Kishimoto flat out wrote himself into a corner on that one, but while Goku vs Majin Vegeta had these moments of great action and great story/character building between the two of them, it just wound up being kind of disappointing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It didn't help that Vegeta decided the best thing to do since his letting Cell achieve perfection was to make the same mistake but double down on it.

Seriously, I just can't fathom how anyone can like Vegeta. I get that he's a flawed guy, but his big deal in the Buu saga was "my head's starting to come out of my own rear end, and I'm scared." He has a family, he's mellowing out, and that scared the poo poo out of him so he went and murdered people so he could fight Goku again. Worst mid-life crisis ever.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He is cock-sure of himself and his own abilities and people are drawn to confidence and tragedy.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Also he's taking all of this poo poo way more seriously than most of the cast and it's funny.

Dude has to be the best punchman in the entire playground because he's a goddamn prince.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Twiddy posted:

Also he's taking all of this poo poo way more seriously than most of the cast and it's funny.

Dude has to be the best punchman in the entire playground because he's a goddamn prince.

I'll give you this. Vegeta is fantastic when used for the punchline. Battle of the Gods was the most I've liked Vegeta in a really long time. Probably since Namek, really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how Gohan just stands there and lets it happen.

You know, instead of going down there and rearranging that guy's face.

He was about to do it; he powers up and goes out to stop him, which is how Yamu knows to steal his energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

I'll give you this. Vegeta is fantastic when used for the punchline. Battle of the Gods was the most I've liked Vegeta in a really long time. Probably since Namek, really.

I always think Vegeta have peaks and downs for when I like and dislike him. He was a good villain throughout all of the saiyan saga because he wasn't as big and bulky as the others, he was shorter than Goku and less imposing than Nappa, yet Nappa was absolutely terrified of this little piece of garlic. That made the fight with Goku so interesting, because he envisioned himself as top dog, we were supposed to side with Goku, but just measuring their physical size, Goku was already superior and he managed to not just hold up, but triumph much more so than any villain before him in the series.

Then we come to Namek and we see him struggle and triumph, fall and rise back up and there are parts where I really don't care for him and others where he comes across as really badass and then he just sort of fades into the background.

The next time I kinda like him is when he fights android 19 and crushes him, but it lasts about until he gets a sensu bean and then he becomes irrelevant again. Coming back, Final Flash was alright, but he essentially is a wet blanket on Trunks after that. Then he distracts Cell, Cell is defeated and he says a line that makes no sense and all interest in him dies away until he kills a hundred people in the Buu saga. That is about the last time he's interesting, as he blows himself up or maybe when he holds off Kid Buu and talks to earth.

I dunno, milage varies on these.

• Locked thread