Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I've been contemplating recording some newer games, but my current screen has a native resolution of 1680x1050 whereas I'm guessing 1920x1080 is required for getting 1080p from youtube. If I record and upload at 1680x1050, I guess I'd only get 720p bandwidth from youtube? I could upscale, but as it's a different aspect ratio that would probably involve some stretching. Could also add black bars, but well, then there's black bars.

Seeing as how I'm still living with only *gasp* one monitor, I'm guessing I might as well buy a 1080p monitor for convenience anyway? It's not as if they're that expensive either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Yeah, Trizophene's script worked. Thanks!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also you might want to use PointResize instead if you're using NES footage, although I admittedly don't know how the source video looks -- I'd assume 256x224 raw emulator footage but you're resizing to that so...?

I was using different footage earlier, which wasn't NES footage, and later I decided to try different footage and just took some of my raw Minus Infinity recordings and didn't bother to change it to PointResize.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Fleve posted:

I've been contemplating recording some newer games, but my current screen has a native resolution of 1680x1050 whereas I'm guessing 1920x1080 is required for getting 1080p from youtube. If I record and upload at 1680x1050, I guess I'd only get 720p bandwidth from youtube? I could upscale, but as it's a different aspect ratio that would probably involve some stretching. Could also add black bars, but well, then there's black bars.

Seeing as how I'm still living with only *gasp* one monitor, I'm guessing I might as well buy a 1080p monitor for convenience anyway? It's not as if they're that expensive either.

As far as I can tell youtube will encode to what your video is encoded to. So unless you have the game recorded in 1080P youtube won't give it to you. So yeah you probably would end up with 720P.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mastigophoran posted:

Also, didn't we decide that layer is better than overlay because overlay usually messes up a bunch of colours or something? If that's still the case we should probably suggest using layer too.

Overlay always does a round-trip through YUV. So if your source is YUV it probably doesn't matter (although apparently it might because the AviSynth documentation says "[t]he input clips are internally converted to a general YUV (with no chroma subsampling) format, so it is possible for the filter to output another colorspace than the input" - so it might), but if your source is RGB (like, say, a recording from an emulator) then it will do a round-trip conversion from RGB to YUV and back again. On a single pass through this likely won't be too visible, but on repeated Overlays, the inherent artifacts caused by rounding in an RGB/YUV conversion start adding up and you get weird colors.

So, yes, use Layer. Especially if you're doing a bunch of Layers.

Layer works with both RGB and YUV clips anyway and apparently doesn't do round-tripping through an internal colorspace.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
How does it do alpha channel blending if it converts to YUV first?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You supply a separate mask clip, from which it uses the brightness of the clip for blending.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

nendymion posted:

As far as I can tell youtube will encode to what your video is encoded to. So unless you have the game recorded in 1080P youtube won't give it to you. So yeah you probably would end up with 720P.

Aight, thanks. Ever since I've started thinking 'a second screen could be pretty useful for [fill in]', the amount of [fill in] stuff has been increasing steadily, so all that's left is to figure out what size inches I want. I'm not even sure 24 inch fits on my current desk next to my old monitor...

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W61j2yVnodM

A video of the workflow for the ArmA youtuber CHKilroy. Pretty interesting!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, I've come across something in my LP that I can't figure out.

My .gifs are coming out crystal-clear and lovely looking, while my regular images come out blurry. I save my shots as .png, since I've been told that's the best thing to do with SNES-looking games, and I do the cropping and resizing within AvsPmod. I make the .gifs in Virtualdub and take them to GIMP to crop out the lower screen and to scale the image up. I resize the images to 512x384 for single-screen shots and 512x768 for dual-screen shots. My .gifs are 512x384 (or about there, since I crop by hand, as I don't know how to use all the fancy stuff GIMP has).

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with my regular shots and why they're blurry; initially, I thought it had something to do with how I used Irfanview; I use it to batch rename images and I originally had it set to batch rename/conversion and had the scaling set for that. I changed it to just batch rename, but that doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
It's 99% going to be when you resize them with gimp. When you do scale image, there's a dropdown for interpolation. Change that to 'none' for pixel stuff - it doesn't affect your gifs because they have an indexed palette and gimp ignores the interpolation setting, but your static images are 24bit, so it uses whatever option is set to.

You might want to try using ifranview's batch stuff to just batch resize all your images anyway (uncheck resample), or use PointResize(width() * 2,height() * 2) in avspmod. Might save you some effort, idk.

edit VVV - sorry, I misread, I thought you were doing all the resizing with gimp. Glad you got it fixed.

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 4, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I managed to find a fix for my issue; I was using the Lanczos Resize for AvsPmod and should have been using Point Resize.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Hi folks, I'm setting up video editing stuff on a new PC and I can't remember some bits of what I did a few years ago when I did this the first time. I did have a look at the guide but it's not helping me in this case.

I use Premiere Pro for editing and MeGui for making the final mp4. I've already downloaded the Lagarith codec, but I'm sure there was another codec, or pack, that I downloaded for one of those programs too. Any ideas? It was probably something to do with mp4s, since Lagarith takes care of the avi.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Maybe it was the Nero AAC codec for audio?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh yes probably! Thank you :3:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
So, I wish to post links to the soundtrack of the GBA game I'm LPing. The only copy of any of the music I can find online is a somewhat low quality Youtube playlist, so I'm trying to find alternatives; a method for extracting the music from the game's .rom would be excellent, so that I don't have to fire up Audacity and record every track myself.

Problem is, the most popular program I can find for doing so (GBA Mus Riper) only works on games that use the Sappy sound engine, which includes the vast majority of commercial titles. However, the game I'm doing is apparently one of those that doesn't use Sappy. :cripes:

Is anyone aware of a good alternative for someone who hasn't really tried this sort of thing before, or am I out of luck this time?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Yapping Eevee posted:

Is anyone aware of a good alternative for someone who hasn't really tried this sort of thing before, or am I out of luck this time?

I'm not aware of an alternative program but you might be able to use an emulator's built in 'record wav' or 'record avi' without including the video so that it records just the audio it as it would be normally, but then speed emulation up really fast so you'd be exporting the audio like 10x faster than normal (but it will still playback normally), then just edit the output - the only part this would skip would be having to sit there for 10 minutes waiting for the tracks to be recorded.

Note: this is an idea I literally just pulled out of my rear end so there's probably like 4 different better ways to do this.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Sorry to get back to my earlier resolution question, but I kinda like my old 1680x1050 monitor and thought I'd try a different solution to get 1080p. Instead of buying a new monitor, most games allow me to run them in 1600x900, with automatic black bars top and bottom. If I record that with FRAPS, the black bars disappear and I keep 1600x900. A x1.2 upscale through spline36resize should then give me 1920x1080. Is there anything wrong with this method? It obviously won't be the same quality as a straight up 1080p video, but can I assume that it'll be better than 720p and trigger the 1080p youtube thing?

Also, one final thing that is irking me to no end: is there any way I can get FRAPS/games not to crash when the game has cutscenes in a different resolution? So far whenever a game plays a video in, say, 800x600, and then switches back to the resolution I play in, either FRAPS makes the game crash or FRAPS bugs out and stops recording video. It'd be great if there's a fix to that, but I'm guessing this is similar to how avisynth throws a fit when I try to mix two different resolutions.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 8, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Upscaling 1600x900 video to 1920x1080 will cost your extra bits for encoding and make the result more blurry, but might be an okay compromise. Especially if you keep in mind that, at least on the previous generation, some console games were actually rendering at a lower resolution and then scaling up to full HD resolution too, so they'd have had the same kind of problem.

If the cutscenes are video files in the game data then you should probably look at extracting those videos and cutting the originals together with your own gameplay footage. Of course that won't solve the problem of recording crashing when a cutscene triggers. Try practicing stopping recording just before a cutscene and start it again right after.
Alternatively, some games will simply skip cutscene videos if the files are removed from the game data, the might be worth a try.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Aight, thanks. Looked around and found that there's a folder with .wmv's for the game I'm trying to record, that'll help a lot, now to find out what happens if I delete/rename them.

One follow-up for the resolution though. As a 1680x1050 user, I don't mind seeing top and bottom black bars everywhere I go. But how much of a nuisance are left/right black bars on your 1080p monitors? Because the alternative to upscaling 20% for 1080p would be to record 1680x1050 and then 'only' upscale roughly 3% to 1728x1080, which would obviously be better quality but there'd be 96 pixels of black left and right. What would you prefer? To give an impression of how that'd look on 1920x1080, it'd be something like this I think:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fleve posted:

Aight, thanks. Looked around and found that there's a folder with .wmv's for the game I'm trying to record, that'll help a lot, now to find out what happens if I delete/rename them.

Depending on how the game is coded you might also be able to replace the video files with some in your native resolution and entirely avoid it changing resolution to play them.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

nielsm posted:

Depending on how the game is coded you might also be able to replace the video files with some in your native resolution and entirely avoid it changing resolution to play them.

Huh. I didn't even think of that. I love neat solutions like that, thanks :)

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The problem with adding blackbars yourself especially the top and bottom ones is that youtube will normally add them in itself depending on the video. So if you letterbox the borders top and bottom youtube will come in and add ones to the side. But that's normally dependent on aspect ratio.
Here's a somewhat helpful guide that explains what I'm talking about. It's near the bottom on the do's and don'ts
encoding guide

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Just run the game in a 16:9 resolution if you're that concerned about it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hey guys,

I am looking for a video editing program that is a little more advanced than Windows Movie Maker (because, as it turns out, that cannot even overlay images onto video which is crazy) and more...let's say GUI-possessing than AviSynth. I am sick to death of counting frames and the .Trim function.

Someone recommended me MAGIX movie edit. I downloaded the free trial, added a picture to a movie, saved it as a lossless AVI, so far so good. I also got Lightworks as a tip, but I haven't tried that.

I am willing to pay <100$ for a program, ONCE (no monthly Adobe nonsense). I heard there are professional-level programs that are insanely expensive usually but have a nice discount if you are a student (I am). This might help with the price tag.

Mostly I am looking for "yes I use this program to edit LPs, it's great and does what I want and you should use it too" messages ;). Thanks!

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
You can always use Cyberlink Power Director. It's lower end versions are fairly cheap and heck there's even a sale going on right now where you can get Powerdirector 13 ultra half off so it can be nabbed for about $80 bucks. Plus it comes with audio software. It's what I used when I first started out.

However there is a downside. It's kinda slow when it comes to advancing frame by frame for when you want to do certain cuts. In fact it could take up to a couple seconds for the frame to advance. But it does have a built in subtitler and various built in effects.

Another downside is that when it comes to mono audio it will only come out of one ear on the program and subsequent video render. You would actually have to manually edit the sound file to become stereo so it comes out of both ears vice one. It's fairly simple though since you can launch the audio software from the video editor and manually change it there. The reason I bring this up is because Mumble records audio in Mono for those that use it.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 8, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not a normal LP question, but a streaming question instead:

I'm having issues with using my Hitbox account to stream. When I do it over Twitch everything goes just fine. But when I try to use hitbox I seem to have OBS sending audio through both my headphones and my microphone as well, creating a crazy recursive echo of everything that gets played. I know it's not picking it up from my headphones because it plays it at almost the same level as normal, but slowly peters out over time.

E. Actually I take it back. It does it even when the mic is unplugged, just not as violently.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 10, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I hope you do not have your stream playing with sound while you stream, do you?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kalstrams posted:

I hope you do not have your stream playing with sound while you stream, do you?

Yes, and technically this was the problem. It seems that unlike Twitch, OBS will record every sound coming out of your computer for use by Hitbox, rather than just the one window. Didn't realize it until I got out my laptop and tried it from that side. Huh.

It's me, I'm the dumbass, it seems.

VVVV I don't believe so but I suppose it is possible. I was just speaking to my experience, might be coincidence

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 10, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yes, and technically this was the problem. It seems that unlike Twitch, OBS will record every sound coming out of your computer for use by Hitbox, rather than just the one window. Didn't realize it until I got out my laptop and tried it from that side. Huh.

It's me, I'm the dumbass, it seems.
That should have absolutely no relation to which service you stream to, it purely is a matter of OBS configuration. Maybe your Twitch player on the same computer is inactive/muted during your streams, so you haven't noticed? I ask this because having OBS record sound of a particular window requires fairly sophisticated setup (at the way that usually is achieved), which I suspect to not be the case here.

Edit: I should learn to stream words better.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 10, 2015

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So I'm struggling to copy and paste every image from Lpix and then add [img] tags around them since I batch uploaded. Is there any way to make this easier on myself?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

rightload

it should be in the op of either the tech support or the sandcastle

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Steak Eater posted:

So I'm struggling to copy and paste every image from Lpix and then add [img] tags around them since I batch uploaded. Is there any way to make this easier on myself?

If you're using the Rightload plugin, there's an option to put img tags around all of them automatically. There's a dropdown once you finish uploading that'll let you pick the tag of your choice to populate your screenshots.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If you paste links that end up with common graphics file extension, one by one, then it should append [img] tags automatically, assuming you paste them after SA editor has finished loading. Alternatively you can use miniwebtool to batch-append [img]/[timg] and [/img]/[/timg] to your link batch, assuming it is formatted, by you or by LPix (never used it), as 1 item per line.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

ChorpSaway posted:

If you're using the Rightload plugin, there's an option to put img tags around all of them automatically. There's a dropdown once you finish uploading that'll let you pick the tag of your choice to populate your screenshots.

I... somehow completely missed this like an idiot. Thanks.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Has there been an in-depth discussion on video capture devices? If so, anyone who could point me to the appropriate area would win my internet-gratitude. I've tried reading reviews, but it's so difficult to filter out which reviews are based on bad luck and anecdotal evidence and which ones are legit.

If not, or if someone wants to weigh in, I'm wondering what the best "bang-for-my-bucks" video capture device is. I'm wanting external so that I can port it around from system to system, and I want to be able to record older consoles like Sega Dreamcast (RCA AV input needed) as well as newer consoles like PS3 and PS4 (HDMI or component I guess). I'm wanting to keep AROUND a $150-200 price tag. Is that possible?

Are there particular brands that are better than others? Or is it a personal preference?

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 12, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

FuriousAngle posted:

Has there been an in-depth discussion on video capture devices? If so, anyone who could point me to the appropriate area would win my internet-gratitude. I've tried reading reviews, but it's so difficult to filter out which reviews are based on bad luck and anecdotal evidence and which ones are legit.

If not, or if someone wants to weigh in, I'm wondering what the best "bang-for-my-bucks" video capture device is. I'm wanting external so that I can port it around from system to system, and I want to be able to record older consoles like Sega Dreamcast (RCA AV input needed) as well as newer consoles like PS3 and PS4 (HDMI or component I guess). I'm wanting to keep AROUND a $150-200 price tag. Is that possible?

Are there particular brands that are better than others? Or is it a personal preference?

The Elgato Game Capture HD hits all of your points nicely. Just make sure you buy the analog adapter for it.

And don't get the HD60; it doesn't do analog video at all.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Has anyone ever had an issue where encoding audio in 384 kb/s sounds noticeably worse than 192 kb/s (AAC)? I'm getting a weird distortion in the low range at 384 (its hard to describe but it kind of makes my eyes water), but it sounds fine at 192.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Edward_Tohr posted:

The Elgato Game Capture HD hits all of your points nicely. Just make sure you buy the analog adapter for it.

And don't get the HD60; it doesn't do analog video at all.

Thank you sir! You rock!

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
What's the difference between Voicemeeter and Voicemeeter Banana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Touchfuzzy posted:

What's the difference between Voicemeeter and Voicemeeter Banana?
It boils down to 3/3 inputs/outputs vs 4/5 inputs/outputs + additional processing stuff.