Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I'm so glad this thread is here, I have just come into possession of a whole heap of uncirculated pennies. My dad has started giving me his old coin collection efforts, but they're not very well organized. There are entire rolls of each mint mark from various years from the '40s to the '60s, though I'm pretty sure I don't necessarily have all the intervening years. I also got a 1923 Peace dollar from the gas station near my house, not sure who would spend one of these enormous beauties. I carry the Peace dollar with me as I like the feel of it:

He's apparently got some more for me, I'll get some face images tomorrow at the office as I don't have a scanner, but the whole box in the background is about 20 pounds of old pennies, and most of the ones I've looked at have had any major wear, just some handling scratches, maybe from getting them in and out of the tubes. I just went through all the tubes in the smaller metal box and there's multiple whole rolls for 1959, 1961 and 1963, I think the majority will be from this vintage, as he was a teenager, while the few 1940s coins are from when he was a toddler.

I'm not looking to get rid of them, but I don't really need 100 of the same penny, either. Does any of this stand out as particularly noteworthy, or can I expect years of onesie-twosie sales on ebay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Ok lots of big images coming up! Apologies for some crappiness in the photos.
I did a little research on the coins myself and for the most part they're nothing special beyond what they are but of course any insight I might have missed is always welcome!

This really worn down coin is a 1944 venezuela 1/4 bolivar. Odd find since my grandfather hasn't been to Venezuela. Or really anywhere other than NYC, Atlantic city, or Florida.

Mercury dimes. I already have one of these, pulled it out of my change but love having more.

Liberty nickels

Buffalo nickels.

Ike Dollars. All but 2 are bicentenials. Couple Denver mints, all Type 2. No silvers

War nickels

Indian head pennies. The 1861 on top is the nicest one, still shows detail between feather headdress, the rest all vary in quality all the way down to crap on the 2 at the bottom

Two more indian heads, decent quality. A large cent. What I *THINK* might be a 1926 nickel but I can't be 100% sure, the date is heavily worn, might be '36. 1857 eagle penny. the little coin punched through is an 1834 british 1 1/2 pence. The little star coin next to that is a US 1861 silver 3 cent that's a little bent.

I also found a '58 dime, '64 quarter, '67 kennedy, a couple wheat pennies, and a lot of fairly corroded steel war pennies
Oh and my grandfather put a '40 nickel in a coin flip, but from what I can tell it just looks like any old nickel, there's nothing special about those is there? Forgot to take a picture of it.

And a list of all the coins and dates and mints that I could tell. And some estimated values I think might be in line with what I could expect?
nickel
1942 P
1943 P
1943 S

ike
1976 D T2 $3 apiece
1976 D T2
1976 D T2
1976 D T2
1976 D T2
1976 D T2
1976 T2 $2 apiece
1976 T2
1976 T2
1976 T2
1978 D

large cent
1852 $15

indian penny
1859 $1 apiece
1868 -- $7
1886 poor
1890 poor
1902 x2
1904 x2
1907 x5

flying eagle penny
1857 $10

3 cent piece
1862 $4

1 1/2 pence

liberty nickel
1905 $1 apiece
1910 x3

buffalo nickel
1920 $4 apiece
1924 x3
1927 x2
1929 x3
1930 x2
1936 x3
1937 x2
unknown x2

1944 venezuela 1/4 bolivar

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Recent pickups. Got another Morgan on the way as well. Gonna start Stacking 2015 ASE's until I have a roll.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Weekly pickup.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I have a ton of Canadian change from a relative who lived in upstate NY, where Canadian coins used to be passable currency for small purchases. (When I was a kid in the 80's you gave your Canadian change to the lunch ladies for your 9 cent carton of chocolate milk :corsair:). He gave them to me when he found out I collect coins. I already picked out the somewhat valuable ones, and now I'm left with this jar of coins. I'm rear end-broke and want to turn them in for whatever they're worth in good ol' 'Murrican dollars. Where do I go for this? Google's suggesting hotels and such when I search for "currency exchange [my city]", but I'd guess they're talking about bigger amounts than a couple Mason jars full of small change.

For that matter... since Canada eliminated the penny, are those worth ANYthing now beyond raw metal?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
I can't imagine the penny is flat out demonetized, they don't strike them anymore but I'm sure they still are worth 1/100th of a canadian dollar.

Go to your local bank and change it all in for US currency, there will be a fee of course, call and ask first, tell them you just have a small amount.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
So, I've been a bit busy... Some new stuff:

Currency:

National Currency, The Charleston National Bank, Charleston WV
Twenty Dollars, Charter 3236, Series of 1929, B000404A (Error: binary serial not found)
Obverse | Reverse

Gold Certificate, Ten Dollars
Series of 1928, A55270286A
PCGS Fine 15
Obverse | Reverse

Silver Certificate, North African Emergency Issue
Ten Dollars, Series of 1934 A, B07687256A
Obverse | Reverse

United States Note, Two Dollars
Series of 1928 D, D11183006A
Obverse | Reverse

Silver Certificate, One Dollar
Series of 1899, M34423955A
PCGS Fine 15
Obverse | Reverse

Silver Certificate, One Dollar
Series of 1923, V57211311D
Obverse | Reverse

United States Note, One Dollar
Series of 1928, A01303969A
Obverse | Reverse

Silver Certificate, Hawaii Emergency Issue
One Dollar, Series of 1935 A, S48255587C
Obverse | Reverse

The rest of my notes can be seen here.

Coins/bullion:

20 Francs, France, 1906

20 Francs, Belgium, 1870

20 Francs, Switzerland, 1927

Rest of the coins/bullion (all silver) are here.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 7, 2015

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.
I finished taking photos of one of my coin sets this weekend. I need to finish adding comments, but it's mostly done. I used a friends set-up to take the photos, but did the post-processing myself. I'll be looking ti improve my photography set-up in the near future.

https://www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=14505

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Cool, and you picked up a coin from Run Guth, nice

What sort of camera were you using for these?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Al Harrington posted:

Cool, and you picked up a coin from Run Guth, nice

What sort of camera were you using for these?

My friend used an older 12 megapixel Nikon DSLR camera on a homemade copy stand. Most of the photos used a single curly flourescent light with about 5000K light temperature. I forget what type of lense it was. We took some proof photos and dabbled with axial lighting and direct lighting. I found that the axial lighting looked cool, but it never made the coins look like they do in hand with the way we were dong it.

I've bought several coins from Ron Guth, he's one of the best dealers for German Coins in the US. Knowledgeable and a spot on grader. I think 3 of the coins in that set are from him. I managed to snag this one from his personal collection about 2 years ago.

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 5, 2015

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

many theories on what to use to photograph coins, I'm always curious to hear what people are using, I looked into what had the best macro for the money and went with this guy: Canon PowerShot SX50 HS and couldn't be happier for my needs, and I use a single halogen light on a snake-like desk lamp, might buy a second one soon, the tungsten lighting setting on that camera is a miracle worker, nothing I I posted in my collection below had anything done to it after shooting other than cropping

you can see how my ancient coin images turned out here:
https://collectivecoin.com/NiceCurrency

I still struggle with a copper or bronze coin when it has the RD designation, tough to get it not showing up golden

the world coins are fun because oh man compare that to the price of a 1911 PR66+CAM US Quarter

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 5, 2015

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Al Harrington posted:

many theories on what to use to photograph coins, I'm always curious to hear what people are using, I looked into what had the best macro for the money and went with this guy: Canon PowerShot SX50 HS and couldn't be happier for my needs, and I use a single halogen light on a snake-like desk lamp, might buy a second one soon, the tungsten lighting setting on that camera is a miracle worker, nothing I I posted in my collection below had anything done to it after shooting other than cropping

My photographer had about 10 different lights. He had a different copy stand with a bellows and an enlarging lens that gives better photos, but is really cumbersome. I've used a point and shoot camera for eBay coin photos, but I can have a hard time getting a good focus. It is not great for getting high res photos of small coins or to show doubling, overdates, and stuff like that.

I've dabbled with piecing together a decent photography set-up, but even an affordable one requires a decent investment that I'd prefer to spend on other things.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

to show doubling and such a loupe held over the lens on a cell phone camera works wonders

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Couple more ounces of silver:

My photography "setup" is a Nikon D7000 with an 85mm Nikon macro lens, a light ring, a piece of white cardboard (inside of a snack cake box...) set on my laptop, and small coin easel, and hand-held (I don't have a copy stand... yet). No editing has been done to any of my images aside from cropping. I generally use ISO 100 or 125, 1/60 or 1/80 of a second exposure, and f-20.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 7, 2015

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I recently helped a relative move and they gave me a coin we found at the bottom of a drawer because "it might be worth something." I know poo poo all about any of this, so any information regarding its value would be greatly appreciated.

Date - 1912
Denomination - 10 Dollars
Mintmark - S
Condition - Not too terribly scuffed or scratched as far as I can tell.

I snapped some bad phone shots if that helps.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Provided it's authentic, around the $900-$950 range, maybe more if we can get good clear images. Those contain 0.48375 troy ounces of gold. At the current spot, it has about $565.50 worth of gold in it.

[edit] Probably less on the price. Here's one on eBay with a BIN of $882: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-S-10-Indian-Eagle-NGC-AU-55-/351334997837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cd329f4d

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 7, 2015

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

DominusDeus posted:

Provided it's authentic, around the $900-$950 range, maybe more if we can get good clear images. Those contain 0.48375 troy ounces of gold. At the current spot, it has about $565.50 worth of gold in it.

[edit] Probably less on the price. Here's one on eBay with a BIN of $882: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-S-10-Indian-Eagle-NGC-AU-55-/351334997837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cd329f4d

That's...significantly more than I was expecting. I suppose now I'll have to go through the trouble of figuring out how to sell it.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
You'll probably get a bit more for it by selling it online than a coin shop. First step is better photos. Even with a current smartphone, you can get decent pictures. Did this with my iPhone 5S.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 7, 2015

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I question its authenticity

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I sold some random silver I didn't want anymoe and used the money to buy my first gold piece... a 2015 1/10 AGE.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Al Harrington posted:

I question its authenticity

Should I look for some local coin place to get it appraised then?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

yes, ask them what they'll offer for it and if it's counterfeit anyone in the business should be able to tell right away, raw old us gold coins are heavily counterfeited, China is really drat good at it, I personally refuse to deal in them because they are terrifying, but I am more a paper money guy so US coinage is not my specialty, but from the as you said "not very great photos" it looks "off"

I hope it's real because that is a cool find, will be interested to hear how it pans out

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
The official word from the coin dealer I saw this morning is: not counterfeit, just well worn. He seemed surprised and said they usually are more pristine, but he threw out a quote of ~500 so I guess it's legit. I'm still not particularly looking forward to dealing with eBay or some such thing.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

very cool!

yea ebay with paypal is going to eat about 13%, it's about 9% or so for me as a "top seller in good standing"

shop it around to other coin shops and such and see what you can get compared to selling it on ebay eating the fees and worrying about it being in the mail

I cannot tell how worn it is from your images, clearly it's more circulated than the slabbed example DD linked, probably not worth a whole lot more than melt *shrugs shoulders*

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I don't think Google Wallet has fees. And there are at least two subreddits on reddit (yeah, yeah, reddit) that are specifically for selling coins and precious metals: /r/pmsforsale and /r/coins4sale

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

The Crooked Warden posted:

The official word from the coin dealer I saw this morning is: not counterfeit, just well worn. He seemed surprised and said they usually are more pristine, but he threw out a quote of ~500 so I guess it's legit. I'm still not particularly looking forward to dealing with eBay or some such thing.

If you're near a reasonably large city there's probably a coin show sometime during the year, that way you can see a bunch of dealers all at once. For the shows I've been to in Norcal and Socal the entrance fee is usually only a few dollars, even less if you print out a coupon from their site. Well worth it when you're trying to sell something worth hundreds of dollars.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

So uhh, the way this thread has evolved, is this the right place to show off our collections? Even if they consist of not-old, not-American coins?

Thought I'd ask before I post a massive image-heavy post!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Unless someone wants to make a thread in the hobby section or whatever, I've been posting my collection here.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If it's not a derail go back to photography chat: someone once mentioned ITT that photographing coins was preferable to slapping them on a scanner. Why is that? I really suck at taking pics. And it's just so much easier to put coins on the scanner, boop, they're instantly on my pc for any tweaking necessary.

As an example, here's the last pic I posted, done on my scanner:

How would using a camera improve that? Any tips on photo'ing coins would be appreciated! FWIW the camera is a Fuji S4300.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Unless someone wants to make a thread in the hobby section or whatever, I've been posting my collection here.

Yeaaah it's probably best to make a numismatics thread in DIY & Hobbies. I'll see if I can get around to it later, hopefully lots of folks here won't mind me quoting them for the OP.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pooper Trooper posted:

Yeaaah it's probably best to make a numismatics thread in DIY & Hobbies. I'll see if I can get around to it later, hopefully lots of folks here won't mind me quoting them for the OP.

If you do, post a link back to it here. I like reading the stories and looking at the pretty pictures, even if I have nothing to contribute.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Pooper Trooper posted:

I greatly welcome it, I work for PCGSC part time, The National Currency Foundation and do a good bit of buying and selling and would be happy to field any paper money inquiries. I also collect so I love this stuff, coins included.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've collected wheat pennies since I was a child and have a giant jar of them. When I dig through them what should I look for? Also, how feasible would it be to collect a penny from every year since there was a penny?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Are 57 silver certs worth anything?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've collected wheat pennies since I was a child and have a giant jar of them. When I dig through them what should I look for? Also, how feasible would it be to collect a penny from every year since there was a penny?

your key dates are the 1909-S, 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, 1922 plain (they minted only 1922 D's but the die wore down and produced 1922 "plains" for a time, the "weak D" is a good coin as well), 1931-S

penny is a british term, technically they are cents, and if you're just wanting the US cent since the beginning they started in 1793, there are many many expensive key dates from 1793 to 2015, it's doable but yea it's going to be pricey

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Mescal posted:

Are 57 silver certs worth anything?

I think you asked this before, but circulated about $1.25 retail and up from there, they printed billions so they aren't worth a whole lot even uncirculated, stars are worth alright money, still really common though, uncirculated non stars are like 10 bucks retail

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Al Harrington posted:

I think you asked this before, but circulated about $1.25 retail and up from there, they printed billions so they aren't worth a whole lot even uncirculated, stars are worth alright money, still really common though, uncirculated non stars are like 10 bucks retail

Ah jeez. My collection's worth over five dollars!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Pooper Trooper posted:

Can you make it for both numismatics and bullion? I have more of the latter.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Can you make it for both numismatics and bullion? I have more of the latter.

Yeah, absolutely. The way things are going I'll probably put it together this weekend, work's been kind of hectic. If you'd like to write a few words and PM me for the OP it'd be appreciated since I'm relatively new to numismatics and I don't trust myself to write something too in-depth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Pooper Trooper posted:

Yeah, absolutely. The way things are going I'll probably put it together this weekend, work's been kind of hectic. If you'd like to write a few words and PM me for the OP it'd be appreciated since I'm relatively new to numismatics and I don't trust myself to write something too in-depth!

I collect German coins, with the vast majority of my focus being on Germany. I have a decent base coat of knowledge and I can contribute some stuff for your OP once you make it.

Edit:

Here are some good links for the OP that I came up with off the top of my head:

http://www.sixbid.com/ - Great site that lists major coin auctions taking place worldwide. Most of the auctions are not for your average collector, but are still fun to look at. I would recommend going through the individual auction house's registration and bidding processes if you decide you are interested in. And as with all other auctions, always read the fine print.

http://www.vamworld.com/ - A good compendium of Morgan Silver Dollar varieties. Collecting by VAM is usually something pursued by the more veteran Morgan collectors, but it's something everyone should at least be aware of.

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/ This is the most complete world coin price guide I've found online. It is an electronic copy of every single Krause manual. I have a physical copy of Krause, and everything I've looked up on the NGC website matches it. It's not really useful for anything made before 1600. There is usually a more detailed catalog for specific countries and time periods, but it's a good one stop shop for a decent amount of information. Prices do not reflect actual dollars and should only be used to get an idea of relative rarity/desirability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apn-kYEl-Xw - PCGS grading webinar 1: This is a shortened seminar on coin grading. It's really useful if you aren't already a knowledgeable coin grader. Each of these is almost an hour, and I found it really useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTcdbqhhsSs - PCGS grading webinar part 2 : proofs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJKl4bOP9II - PCGS grading webinar part 3 : no grades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75GZeKZb38 - PCGS grading webinar part 4 : counterfeits

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread