Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

PJOmega posted:

Deja Vu, I swear I remember being a topic of discussion when I checked the MH3U thread before getting distracted.

Anyway, just did Purse Snatcher at Caravan 7 and what in the hell was that giant T-Rex looking thing?
Devlijho, a fun guy and all around cool friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Devlijho, a fun guy and all around cool friend.

Of course, that's why he kept biting me. He couldn't hug me with his tiny arms.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

I didn't read it that way at all, and I tend to read way too much into these surveys. Actually this one scared me because it made it seem like they're wondering if people want health bars for monsters and reduced numbers of weapons and armor skills.

I did basically demand cosmetic slots, though, and also Queropeco to return in MH5.

Yeah, I noticed that too and I was pretty worried about it. I hope they don't take the Hunt out of Monster Hunter, that's what I love most about it. If they made it less grindy, no Rubies or Jaspers or whatever that'd be one thing, the game doesn't really benefit from RARE drops I feel like, but everything else I really love. I also mentioned that I appreciate the Kiranico database and would like to see a lot of the information it provides become more transparent in the game itself.

I put in a shoutout to bring back Nargacuga and Qurupeco but I'm realizing I squandered a chance to mention that they really gotta free the excellent Frontier monsters from their bad MMO jail. gently caress!!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

NOPE NOPE I'm not ready for the poo poo-knocker known as the Gore Magala. Might be over worrying things, but considering he could knock my health down as I try to get under/behind him? Yeah... nah. I'll probably keep trying to get under him as I try to get on him and stab. Unless there's more to it than that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

widespread posted:

NOPE NOPE I'm not ready for the poo poo-knocker known as the Gore Magala. Might be over worrying things, but considering he could knock my health down as I try to get under/behind him? Yeah... nah. I'll probably keep trying to get under him as I try to get on him and stab. Unless there's more to it than that.

Are you paying attention to your infection status? His spores can infect you, and if the bar fills up, you'll take massive damage from all spore-based attacks thereafter. But if you deal enough damage while infected, you'll fight off the infection and get a huge boost to your attack power!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

widespread posted:

The fights with him on the boat and in the Everwood are atrocious, but when you get the chance to fight him in a full-sized map you'll find he's not quite as bad. Not really a fun monster to fight in tight quarters, but really fun when they finally give you some goddamn room.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you paying attention to your infection status? His spores can infect you, and if the bar fills up, you'll take massive damage from all spore-based attacks thereafter. But if you deal enough damage while infected, you'll fight off the infection and get a huge boost to your attack power!

I'm trying to, yeah. But I got carted twice in- what- 5 or so minutes after getting to it? Could be because of the spores, or could be the explosions and poo poo he hocks up. And yeah, I deliberately turn off the game if I get carted twice or thrice if I'm cocky.

nerdbot posted:

The fights with him on the boat and in the Everwood are atrocious, but when you get the chance to fight him in a full-sized map you'll find he's not quite as bad. Not really a fun monster to fight in tight quarters, but really fun when they finally give you some goddamn room.

I do remember making GBS threads myself at the Everwood appearance.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Get under Gore. He's mostly harmless from the front legs back.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Fought Rajang for the first time (along with some other people who were in the same boat as me) and hoo boy, did we not last long. He's fun as hell but easily the hardest monster so far. At least he's not a key quest in high rank.

Teostra was surprisingly easy.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

widespread posted:

And yeah, I deliberately turn off the game if I get carted twice or thrice if I'm cocky.

Why

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mh4u in sleep mode absolutely destroys my 3ds battery if i dont turn off the wifi. like it wont even last a day. wonder if my battery is just starting to die...

really need to remember to start saving before i put it down for the night

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

If you land enough attacks damage doesn't matter for fighting off the infection. In a pinch you can stun lock a little monster with kicks if Gore runs away and still get the buff.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I'm that much of jewish faith. If I hosed it up, I'd rather start back before I spent the fee as opposed to keep spending a fee if I still can't get poo poo down.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

What is a man without his principles, I ask?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

widespread posted:

I'm that much of jewish faith. If I hosed it up, I'd rather start back before I spent the fee as opposed to keep spending a fee if I still can't get poo poo down.

You don't need to turn off the DS, just Abandon Mission from the menu and you'll get your stuff back.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm still not sure I "get" the Charge Blade's Guard Points.

My understanding is this:

• A properly-timed guard (while the shield is charged) deals KO damage.
  • It also (sometimes(?)) gives you phial-charging credit?
  • You can attack out of a successful Guard Point (sometimes(?)) (what attacks?)
  • You can do the Ultra AED (or held-back Super AED) out of it (sometimes)?
  • Some attacks have frames/hitboxes that "count" as a guard, and these can be used as guard points?

What am I missing?

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 12, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

If you land enough attacks damage doesn't matter for fighting off the infection. In a pinch you can stun lock a little monster with kicks if Gore runs away and still get the buff.

I knew you could use small monsters to fight off the virus but I didn't know you could kicklock them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think it only deals ko damage if its an impact phial since the guard point is basically giving you a free phial hit when the shield is charged

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

Zodack posted:

Was it Advanced? Those things pop in and out between quests.

The quest is advanced, so that explains it. I think I remember reading that awhile ago but I guess I forgot. Thanks!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Is Monster Hunter Freedom Unite still hold up, or have the newer entries in the series overshadowed it completely? The recent MonHun mania that the Giantbomb staff has fallen into has made me want to jump back into it, but MHFU is the only one I already own.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I reset when I get carted because it means a lot of resources were wasted on a fool's errand. For me it's not a rage thing and more just feeling like "if I'm gonna have to do it again I might as well get my potions and poo poo back"

If I got a tail carve or something though, that's like the only circumstance I don't reset.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Awesome! posted:

mh4u in sleep mode absolutely destroys my 3ds battery if i dont turn off the wifi. like it wont even last a day. wonder if my battery is just starting to die...

really need to remember to start saving before i put it down for the night

Must be because I'm not experiencing that on my New 3DS XL.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Elysiume posted:

Items shouldn't be used at the same time, because ideally you have some people fighting the monster and letting someone else heal. I guess maybe for things like Demondrug it would make more sense? I still wouldn't like it as a mechanic, though. And it's already hard enough to get breaks online. Unless they also add voice chat, making it require that much more coordination would be awful.

How about this: if two players drink a potion next to each other, instead of flexing afterwards they'll high five each other and it's a shorter animation.

DoctorWhat posted:

• Some attacks have frames/hitboxes that "count" as a guard, and these can be used as guard points?

What am I missing?

The last bit is actually what a guard point is all about. Regular blocking won't do anything special no matter how it's timed, but if you get hit during the part of the sword-axe transformations where your character holds the shield in front of himself, that will block the attack with a guard point.

Blocking in general charges your sword a bit, and it applies to guard points as well.

After a guard point you can press B to roll, X to do an axe-transform attack, or X+B to do a super/ultra - as long as the hit wasn't so heavy that you're put into the backsliding recovery animation. Guard +1/+2 helps with that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DoctorWhat posted:

What am I missing?
Blocking/guarding: Press R while in SnS mode to bring your shield up.
Guard points: Certain maneuvers where your shield is held out in front of you will count as blocking if you get hit. There are a few that you'll hit accidentally, and the commonly used ones are converting to axe from sword (a short-ish duration guard point in the beginning/middle of the animation) and going from sword to axe (a longer guard point at the very end of the animation).

The gaijinhunter video covers it well.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Triarii posted:

How about this: if two players drink a potion next to each other, instead of flexing afterwards they'll high five each other and it's a shorter animation.

let's encourage teamwork by making the monster twice as likely to attack you during a healing animation

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Internet Friend posted:

You don't need to turn off the DS, just Abandon Mission from the menu and you'll get your stuff back.

Even if I had to dip into my Mega Potion supply? Because, if so, fuckin' A that sounds like a good idea. Also, does it count for the fee too?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

let's encourage teamwork by making the monster twice as likely to attack you during a healing animation

How can something become twice as likely when it's already 95%

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

widespread posted:

Even if I had to dip into my Mega Potion supply? Because, if so, fuckin' A that sounds like a good idea. Also, does it count for the fee too?

It reverts items and money, yes. I know this because I was trying to do The Caravaneer's Challenge this morning with only enough zenny to cover the quest fee once. I had to eat with caravan points.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

widespread posted:

If you abandon before you triple cart, your inventory is reset to what it was before you started that quest, so you get back any items you used, but you also lose any items you've picked up (tail carves, shiny drops, gathered stuff, etc).

e:V No it wouldn't it would promote people zoning to a different area to heal every time which would slow down fights massively

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

dragon enthusiast posted:

It would help. Imagine potion use with 0 animation but use causes the monster to instantly target you. That would be a huge buff. We would need to crunch the numbers but the high-five idea would generally move in that direction.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Ignimbrite posted:

If you abandon before you triple cart, your inventory is reset to what it was before you started that quest, so you get back any items you used, but you also lose any items you've picked up (tail carves, shiny drops, gathered stuff, etc).

Consider my playstyle changed. TIME TO BE BALLSY AGAIN

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Yes Akantor three of the four people attacking you are standing next to each other hitting you but by all means I can understand why you'd want to spend a solid minute focusing all of your anger and energy chasing the isolated gunner.

So really having people stand next to each other while drinking potions is probably for the best, is what I'm saying.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wow this b button is amazing! Don't have to press a!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Friend posted:

I love to Abandon Mission when cutscene monster spawns are in a junk room. Hmm, I can fight a Tigrex in this tiny little room that's barely big enough to fit him ooooooor I can just abandon quest and come back when he spawns in a giant room where he can't even reach me in a single charge :eng101:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lame Devil posted:

It would help. Imagine potion use with 0 animation but use causes the monster to instantly target you. That would be a huge buff. We would need to crunch the numbers but the high-five idea would generally move in that direction.
Is this a serious post? That would be a terrible change.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Triarii posted:

The last bit is actually what a guard point is all about. Regular blocking won't do anything special no matter how it's timed, but if you get hit during the part of the sword-axe transformations where your character holds the shield in front of himself, that will block the attack with a guard point.

Oh. OOOOH.

After reading this, I went up against a LR Tigrex to practice, and everything clicked. Oh my god I'm going to decimate once I grind out the timings on this. Oh my god.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Elysiume posted:

Is this a serious post? That would be a terrible change.

I'm not saying they should change it to that, I'm saying the high-five idea would be benefit not a hindrance.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh. OOOOH.

After reading this, I went up against a LR Tigrex to practice, and everything clicked. Oh my god I'm going to decimate once I grind out the timings on this. Oh my god.

Of note is that if you have your shield out when morphing from sword to axe, you will not get the guard point to come out. This is pretty problematic because it's very easy to press R a split second before hitting X. However if rebind kick to start/select, it binds morph to start/select for CB, meaning you will never mess up the sword->axe guard point.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I can level my guild quests to high rank and they will remain high rank online, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I just have my kick button on the touch screen next to my Y button. Far easier to hit rather than reaching farther to hit start, maybe that's just me.

• Locked thread