Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Warmachine posted:

The keyword they've got is re-implementation, because most companies can't be bothered to do that after they say they're removing something to make initial development easier. EA's Sims studio is showing that, no really, we cut a bunch of stuff to let us build a really awesome framework that'll allow us to add it all back in after release, so we can make our deadline and give a good game!

Pretty impressive for an EA cash cow.

Yea obviously the best option is, ya know, maybe chill out on releases and take a break so you can give us all this poo poo to start with and there's no 'OMG NO BASEMENTS AT LAUNCH gently caress EA FOREVER' bullshit to begin with, but if their solution is 'ok we'll give you this poo poo for free down the line and it won't be a hassle for you or anything' most people who aren't crazy can call it fair. Considering that the Sims is one giant money pinata for EA there are indeed way worse ways to 'give it back' they could have done and while we shouldn't exactly be praising companies just for not loving us over every time, we can say that it's good they picked the non douchebag option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Development is expensive and timing is critical, you can't just say "why didn't they set the deadline later".

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Expenses is something that you can't really defend EA over, though. Regardless, it is kinda stupid to operate at a loss for another month or two just to get small features in when you can lay out the frame work, push it out the door, and then seamlessly integrate it later.

Player expectations kinda gently caress this idea up. EA could've said that this game was ~early access~ and some people would've held wildly different attitudes over a word.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
In the end it all boils down to the fact game development is a horrible industry.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In the end, everything has been, is, and always will be awful. If you ever liked or were apathetic towards something, you're both wrong and the enemy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kyte posted:

Development is expensive and timing is critical, you can't just say "why didn't they set the deadline later".

Right. It's why I'm really glad they did what they did. They realized there was no way to hit the deadline with the money and people they had, their game gets heavily modded by everyone and their dog, and is set to be a long conga line of expansion packs. I hope whoever said "Hey, why don't we cut some things and make a robust framework to hang the stuff on later" at the brainstorming table got a promotion.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How to generate good will: Remove loved features from games, then add them in later for free. Pretty brilliant really. Worked on me.

While this may have happened, I doubt very much that it was planned. The game was clearly originally intended to be an online game, they changed that partway through development, and they also focussed on game stability rather than adding in new stuff. The "lack of features" on release was probably more a function of time constraints rather than an attempt to to manipulate the market.

Plus that initial poor reaction on release would have done far more damage than they can make up by handing out free stuff to existing players, I suspect.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea obviously the best option is, ya know, maybe chill out on releases and take a break so you can give us all this poo poo to start with and there's no 'OMG NO BASEMENTS AT LAUNCH gently caress EA FOREVER' bullshit to begin with, but if their solution is 'ok we'll give you this poo poo for free down the line and it won't be a hassle for you or anything' most people who aren't crazy can call it fair. Considering that the Sims is one giant money pinata for EA there are indeed way worse ways to 'give it back' they could have done and while we shouldn't exactly be praising companies just for not loving us over every time, we can say that it's good they picked the non douchebag option.

They pretty much hosed themselves over by focusing on a completely different version of The Sims 4 before SimCity crashing and burning pretty much made them scrap the a game that had been in development since 2008/2009. Like you said, The Sims is their money pinata and having it go down like SimCity would be catastrophic, since SimCity essentially ruined the brand name.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
If anything they made the right choice to re-design the sims and endure a rocky start. If the failure of simcity made them reconsider then whatever they were working on would've absolutely bombed as well.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A question for anyone running Sims 3 on a SSD: does it make for a smoother experience overall, or is the impact simply on load times?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

A question for anyone running Sims 3 on a SSD: does it make for a smoother experience overall, or is the impact simply on load times?

like, barely. still hiccuped and ran like poo poo 80% of the time

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

epitasis posted:

like, barely. still hiccuped and ran like poo poo 80% of the time

Yeah, I ran it on my high-end desktop with an i7 4790k, 8 gigs of RAM, and a Samsung 840 EVO ssd and it still took several minutes to load a game and there were still loads of stutters. Meanwhile, I'm managing to run Sims 4 without a single hiccup on my laptop from 2010.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chocolate Milk posted:

While this may have happened, I doubt very much that it was planned.

If it wasn't planned, it probably should be in the future. It's actually a really smart strategy.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The Kins posted:

Another minor gameplay detail from Twitter: If an NPC Sim buys a thing from your store, they won't lose any money or actually get the item in their inventory.
I appreciate that they are actually avoiding horrible bloat this time around. It's cool you can switch it on with a mod.

Maybe by the time Sims 4 has a couple expansions, it won't be a horrible mess to play like Sims 3 was. The way the worlds/towns are designed will probably help with this, too. I miss the world designer but not the monstrous effort it was to make, modify, or download a custom town that had all the expansion buildings and populate it in a way that pleased the AI.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 12, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

At first I was a little disappointed when I read that money and wares wouldn't actually change hands, but then I thought about what would happen if this was in ts3 and there's no doubt in my mind that every single time you'd switch households you'd find your Sims with an empty bank account and an inventory full of 470 rubber ducks or some poo poo so I guess I'm okay with it.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

JuffoWup posted:

This. Also, multitasking makes things so much easier in sims4. Those awkward group interactions in the previous sims actually function this time around.

On the other hand, I have had Sims on dates and then some random Sim becomes locked into a group chat with them and follows them around. At least the bit at the top reads "awkward encounter" lol

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Octolady posted:

On the other hand, I have had Sims on dates and then some random Sim becomes locked into a group chat with them and follows them around. At least the bit at the top reads "awkward encounter" lol

The "Go Away" interaction should kick someone out of a group conversation.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Trilin posted:

The "Go Away" interaction should kick someone out of a group conversation.

The idea of some completely oblivious guy just plonking himself down in the middle of a date chatting about ghosts is funnier to me :(

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Oh totally. I didn't know if you thought that was funny or annoying.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

At first I was a little disappointed when I read that money and wares wouldn't actually change hands, but then I thought about what would happen if this was in ts3 and there's no doubt in my mind that every single time you'd switch households you'd find your Sims with an empty bank account and an inventory full of 470 rubber ducks or some poo poo so I guess I'm okay with it.

In Sims 2, with open for business, the money actually changed hands and the inventory of a Sim could be filled up with like a thousand toilets from buying from your toilet emporium. When you switched back to that household, they would be broke.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

IAmTheRad posted:

In Sims 2, with open for business, the money actually changed hands and the inventory of a Sim could be filled up with like a thousand toilets from buying from your toilet emporium. When you switched back to that household, they would be broke.

motherlode

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

IAmTheRad posted:

At least you could sell the toilets again?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

IAmTheRad posted:

This is incredible. I wish I had that again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It was funny the first, gonna say five times, then it started to shift to 'seriously why'.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like theres a middle ground to money appearing out of nowhere and being flat broke with a thousand toilets. I am not clever enough to tell you what it is though.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

I wouldn't mind if one of my sims bought 800 toilets and left themselves broke, as long as there is a 'sell all' button in the family inventory and the toilets sell for exactly what was paid for them.
I'm weird and genuinely love starting sims from $0 and working my way up. I also love trying to find places in the house for all the stuff from work they bring home, even if it's completely pointless and doesn't match the decor. Opening up an inventory full of whatever would be the best thing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Brick Shipment posted:

I wouldn't mind if one of my sims bought 800 toilets and left themselves broke, as long as there is a 'sell all' button in the family inventory and the toilets sell for exactly what was paid for them.
I'm weird and genuinely love starting sims from $0 and working my way up. I also love trying to find places in the house for all the stuff from work they bring home, even if it's completely pointless and doesn't match the decor. Opening up an inventory full of whatever would be the best thing.

Have you tried starting out on an empty lot? I have, and discovered that early on in the game, going on a series of short Gold dates pays much better than a job, which would be like prostitution if it weren't for the fact that my Sim kept dating the same person.

Also, funny patch notes:

quote:

This error was the result of an invalid fallback being called when we ran into a load error. Essentially, if we were looking for a sofa and we couldn’t find the sofa, we would say “Hey, there is no sofa” and kick the request back. Which would then say “But I need a sofa.” And this would go back and forth until finally someone would just give up, storm off angry, and say “Fine, if there is no sofa, there is no game, and you can forget about dinner, cuddling, and now we are going to go visit my mother, and yes, you ARE coming with me!”

If you launched the game in fullscreen and then exit fullscreen, the yellow minimize button was disappearing upon exiting fullscreen. As a side note, if you are aware of the official name for the “yellow minimize button,” that would be great, because our bug report referred to it as “the yellow minimize button in the top left of the window” and I have to wonder if it has a simpler name, like the minimize button or maybe they just call it Bob. Click on Bob to minimize. Did you click Bob? Have you seen Bob? He minimizes things for you. Takes away your cares, shrinks them away… Bob.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I feel like theres a middle ground to money appearing out of nowhere and being flat broke with a thousand toilets. I am not clever enough to tell you what it is though.

Sim can spend X dollars in a day and X dollars is less than Y where Y is household funds, minus bills, minus other family members spending? That'd probably require more reaching in than the rather awesome sounding dev side framework has.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Octolady posted:

I like to think those people know exactly what they are doing. And that they're keeping score. ;)

(It happened on every single date I ever sent anyone on, until I stopped sending them to bars, lounges and parks. Everybody there wants to talk to everyone around them, which makes them great places to meet people but lousy places to hold anyone's attention. Bars especially, since you're also competing with the bartender. Libraries and museums, on the other hand, are easy places to take dates; they have lots of places you can go and sit without having the date-ruiners barging into your conversation every thirty seconds.)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
*idly hits the mac help docs...

yellow minimize button (-)

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

I don't really miss the open world. There's a couple of annoying parts such as the loading screens, but the amount of loading is much more improved than the long time it took to load up The Sims 3. I could go and make a pot of coffee in the time it took for the game to load, and perhaps the game crashed and I would need to restart it and go through that loading time again. I also don't miss the freezing and stuttering the game had. Or the times the plumbob just span and my Sim did nothing. Or him waiting an hour or so just to get into the shower and then he took a 2 hour shower since interactions were just so slow.

Yeah, the mass improvements in performance far outweigh the open world of Sims 3. I do miss the story progression and the fact that your family seems to be the only one that does anything. I think they might be trying to put in some sort of story progression so that inactive sims will actually get into relationships and have kids, so that a young adult won't become an elder without ever feeling the touch of another Sim, even if they constantly chat with one on a lot.

The thing about the complainers on the forums is they are the vocal minority. The majority probably prefer the stable world and won't complain, let alone on the creepy Sims 4 hugbox of a forum.

Which ones because every media outlet comments aside from sims 4 and this topic consist almost solely of people calling EA the devil

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

You're not kidding about that. I ended up on a sims 4 modder's tumblr to look at their downloads and they were grousing about what a horrible failure sims 4 was and that was probably why so few people were downloading their stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

gyrobot posted:

Which ones because every media outlet comments aside from sims 4 and this topic consist almost solely of people calling EA the devil
To be fair, the Sims modding community has been shouting about EA being the devil for roughly a decade now...

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
The terrible cash shop in sims 3 was a huge gently caress you to custom content creators, yet the community endured. It's really weird to call the sims 4 a failure right now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe the mod makers would be more successful if they published somewhere where people could see their work. instead on tumblr.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe the mod makers would be more successful if they published somewhere where people could see their work. instead on tumblr.

Yeah, it seems weird to publish your mod on Tumblr instead of MTS or whatever. It's like sharing your art on LinkedIn.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Splash Attack posted:

You're not kidding about that. I ended up on a sims 4 modder's tumblr to look at their downloads and they were grousing about what a horrible failure sims 4 was and that was probably why so few people were downloading their stuff.

Link, out of blind curiosity?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Link, out of blind curiosity?

http://saikyoc4.tumblr.com/post/106569466857/beginnings-and-endings

Then they made this post a few weeks later: http://saikyoc4.tumblr.com/post/107956271787/a-very-big-thanks

Which is really funny, because up until the first or second expansion, a lot of TS3 mods were mostly recolors or conversions.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yeah, it seems weird to publish your mod on Tumblr instead of MTS or whatever. It's like sharing your art on LinkedIn.

I actually was complaining about this a few pages/months ago, but since TS3, a lot of modders host their stuff on their own personal blogs like wordpress and now tumblr instead of uploading it to MTS. I don't really understand the shift away from the site, but I wonder if it had anything to do with them losing modthesims.com and switching to modthesims.info. Hilariously, I saw on my tumblr dashboard a week or so ago someone trying to drum up funding for a Sims 4 social/mod hub site which is exactly what MTS is/was.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Splash Attack posted:

http://saikyoc4.tumblr.com/post/106569466857/beginnings-and-endings

Then they made this post a few weeks later: http://saikyoc4.tumblr.com/post/107956271787/a-very-big-thanks

Which is really funny, because up until the first or second expansion, a lot of TS3 mods were mostly recolors or conversions.

12,000 concurrent players actually sounds like a lot. That's not 12,000 a day, or 12,000 peak, or 12,000 installs. That's 12,000 players at the time they checked.

At the time of me writing this post, there's a little over 18,000 people playing Sims 4 right now. There's 17,000 playing Counter-Strike 1.6, and 19,000 playing Arma 3. Sims 4 isn't reaching Dota or CS:GO numbers (those two games are at 300k and 200k respectively), but it's beating out a lot of new releases like Dragonball Z: Xenoverse and Total War: Atilla, which are scraping 9,000 players right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Splash Attack posted:

I actually was complaining about this a few pages/months ago, but since TS3, a lot of modders host their stuff on their own personal blogs like wordpress and now tumblr instead of uploading it to MTS. I don't really understand the shift away from the site, but I wonder if it had anything to do with them losing modthesims.com and switching to modthesims.info. Hilariously, I saw on my tumblr dashboard a week or so ago someone trying to drum up funding for a Sims 4 social/mod hub site which is exactly what MTS is/was.

I've read about some MTS drama that led to the fall of lots of mods. I guess people didn't take to it kindly.