Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

We're starting to have increasingly more users requesting if we can provide them access to our windows file server on their phones, tablets, etc. These devices are their own personal devices so obviously there is a mix of operating systems at play here, and they also want to be able to access stuff from outside the office. I've been asking people who make this request for some information on their use case and what they actually want to accomplish, but I always get a vague answer back. "Oh I was just wondering." "Oh it would be faster to pull it up on my ipad instead of turning on my laptop." Those types of answers.

In my extremely brief researching of the topic I'm seeing all sorts of various third party apps popping up to provide this kind of service. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about implementing something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

J posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about implementing something like this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

File access on mobile devices need to be driven by the sorts of files that people need to access. For a lot of stuff, HTTPS-secured WebDAV is probably 'good enough' if you don't want to break the bank. You could put it behind an SSL VPN service if you wanted to add two-factor authentication, and throw VPN-on-demand into the mix via MDM if people couldn't be relied on to establish a VPN connection before trying to access server resources.

If people want to use Office then you're hosed since it only plays nicely with OneDrive, and MS have very helpfully got zero features to assist you with linking OneDrive to a corporate file share.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 6, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a cream dream

My boss doesn't even drink

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Methanar posted:

I just signed my first NDA. I've never felt more important. Making triple what I used to is nice too.

Boss said its not unusual for guys to just play unreal tournament together or something while eating donuts on a Friday night in one of the rooms.

:shobon:

What kind of position is this and are there any more openings? :)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Methanar posted:

I just signed my first NDA. I've never felt more important. Making triple what I used to is nice too.

Boss said its not unusual for guys to just play unreal tournament together or something while eating donuts on a Friday night in one of the rooms.

:shobon:

Congrats!

We were playing CS after hours before I left. I'm definitely going to fire up a VM on the IT management host at the new place. Beer + Pizza every Thursday night till 8pm sounds like a great team building exercise :D

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 6, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

J posted:

We're starting to have increasingly more users requesting if we can provide them access to our windows file server on their phones, tablets, etc. These devices are their own personal devices so obviously there is a mix of operating systems at play here, and they also want to be able to access stuff from outside the office. I've been asking people who make this request for some information on their use case and what they actually want to accomplish, but I always get a vague answer back. "Oh I was just wondering." "Oh it would be faster to pull it up on my ipad instead of turning on my laptop." Those types of answers.

In my extremely brief researching of the topic I'm seeing all sorts of various third party apps popping up to provide this kind of service. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about implementing something like this?

"No."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

J posted:

We've given people Pydio before it gets the job done and works on a multitude of platforms.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What do you guys think of doing some part time work as an adjunct professor? I got an email from one of my teachers a while back asking me if I'd be interested.

I think that'd look good on a résumé.

I've done a semester of this. It was really rewarding and challenging. It's really, really outside the stereotypical IT-type's skill-set, but at the same time if you can do it (and do it well), the experiences are invaluable. It will look good on the résumé, but be ready to talk about the time. Your interviewer might be confused, so you could spend more time on that then other positions.

Absolutely know the subject material inside out and upside down. You'll get questions that are formed from assumptions/understandings that are completely disconnected from reality. You need to step back and figure out what the student is really asking. Remember, the folks you'll be talking to are (supposedly) there to LEARN, not just do their job and clock out.

If you can fit it in your schedule, and you're not afraid to stand in front of a bunch of bored people for a couple of hours, absolutely do it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I've done a semester of this. It was really rewarding and challenging. It's really, really outside the stereotypical IT-type's skill-set, but at the same time if you can do it (and do it well), the experiences are invaluable. It will look good on the résumé, but be ready to talk about the time. Your interviewer might be confused, so you could spend more time on that then other positions.

Absolutely know the subject material inside out and upside down. You'll get questions that are formed from assumptions/understandings that are completely disconnected from reality. You need to step back and figure out what the student is really asking. Remember, the folks you'll be talking to are (supposedly) there to LEARN, not just do their job and clock out.

If you can fit it in your schedule, and you're not afraid to stand in front of a bunch of bored people for a couple of hours, absolutely do it.

Thanks!

I'm putting in my paperwork tomorrow. I might get to teach a computer security class.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Watch as it turns out to be an introductory class for freshmen explaining why you don't give out your password over email to people claiming to be from amazon.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hopefully by the end they'll be paranoid about absolutely anything they put on their computer and/or phone.

Computer security might be fun; start with a rundown of data breaches and information theft, end with calling the police on granos...

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Watch as it turns out to be an introductory class for freshmen explaining why you don't give out your password over email to people claiming to be from amazon.

That'd still be good, I think. Before you can teach something, you have to have a very deep understanding of it. If you're lucky, you'll have one or two students who keep asking "Why?" until they get to a base they can understand. And remember, for every student that asks that question, there will be five more who won't have the guts to raise their hand.

Also, a "basic" class is great for getting the skills of TEACHING down. There's designing lesson plans, writing quizzes and test, grading homework and papers, and being able to think on your feet when there are two dozen sets of eyes on you. If you've never done it before, a basic subject matter you know up and down means you can focus on the things you don't know.

ETA: Dr. Arbitrary, feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions. Good luck!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Teaching adjunct is one of the most fun things I've ever done. Nothing bad to say about it.

"Stay in the office and 'team build' by playing games!", though, is a tactic to tie leisure time and work time closer together, in the same way as a lot of perks. Enjoy it, but recognize it for what it is.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It looks like it's based around the Security+ exam and the GIAC CSEC certification.
I had a blast studying for Security+ so I'm hoping it'll be fun to try and teach it.

I think it's a neat place to start, nothing in Security+ is toooo technical, maybe the firewall stuff I guess. In the end though, the weakest link is rarely technological. Why crack a password when Brandon in Marketing will happily tell you his password or check under keyboards to find other ones.

Edit:

What does the Hacker that is about to compromise your company's database look like?

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 12, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

the spyder posted:

Congrats!

We were playing CS after hours before I left. I'm definitely going to fire up a VM on the IT management host at the new place. Beer + Pizza every Thursday night till 8pm sounds like a great team building exercise :D

It's been a while since I worked with people I actually liked enough to hang out with outside of work. My team at my new job has these things called "happy hours" and the company occasionally throws what I understand are called "parties" with food and beer that I don't have to pay for.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It looks like it's based around the Security+ exam and the GIAC CSEC certification.
I had a blast studying for Security+ so I'm hoping it'll be fun to try and teach it.

I think it's a neat place to start, nothing in Security+ is toooo technical, maybe the firewall stuff I guess. In the end though, the weakest link is rarely technological. Why crack a password when Brandon in Marketing will happily tell you his password or check under keyboards to find other ones.

Edit:

What does the Hacker that is about to compromise your company's database look like?

Incidentally the VP of Marketing's son, probably.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is he hacking with a video editing keyboard?

I also like to play "What's on the hacker' screen(s)?"

Looks like...

Webmail
SCADA status dashboard of some sort? (or a game)
Either a cert or a really big public key.

mewse
May 2, 2006

flosofl posted:

It looks like a screenshot of The Hacker for iphone

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-hacker/id473945908?mt=8

fake edit: yeah that's exactly what it is:

J
Jun 10, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

We've given people Pydio before it gets the job done and works on a multitude of platforms.

Thanks for the responses. My initial impression was that there was going to be a problem with security, cost, usability, or all three. I just wanted to look into it a bit though on the chance there was an agreeable decent way to do it, plus I'd like to be more informed on the off chance that management starts asking questions which I don't really expect them to.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mewse posted:

This dude's just innocently playing games in his garage.

It's the cleaning lady.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Looks like...

Webmail
Either a cert or a really big public key.

The screen in the lower left is the game Uplink.

It's cheesy as hell, but it's a great game. Go play it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 12, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mewse posted:

Hahaha. That's awesome.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

KillHour posted:

The screen in the lower left is the game Uplink.

It's cheesy as hell, but it's a great game. Go play it.

Uplink is great, and even somewhat realistic in an abstract way.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

flosofl posted:

That is why Cipher is the best in the business.

Fast-Talking Computer Hacker Just Has To Break Through Encryption Shield Before Uploading Nano-Virus

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

J posted:

Thanks for the responses. My initial impression was that there was going to be a problem with security, cost, usability, or all three. I just wanted to look into it a bit though on the chance there was an agreeable decent way to do it, plus I'd like to be more informed on the off chance that management starts asking questions which I don't really expect them to.

I think you're correct for wanting to do this, do some research and write up a comparison matrix at minimum that you can provide to users/management to justify continued use of vpn/file shares (which is pretty archaic but sometimes necessary). You might even find a good solution.

syg
Mar 9, 2012
We are merging with another department and trying to figure out a good way to divide the duties into an infrastructure/engineering team and a support team. Even after the merger it will be a small department, looks like:

IT Director

Engineering/Infrastructure
Architect
Network Admin

Support
Help Desk Supervisor (windows admin)
Systems Admin
Technician
Technician
Technician

As I see it there is two ways to divide the duties, either there is an engineering team that designs and builds all of the systems, network, vmware, windows, linux and then hands them off to the support team to manage. This would require the support team to learn Tier 1/2 level skills at networking and linux (which they currently don't know at all). But would allow the engineering team to avoid any simple tickets like creating firewall rules or troubleshooting linux logs.

The other option is to have an infrastructure team that builds and supports the network, vmware and linux, while the support team builds and supports all of the windows servers, computers and other end user devices. This would mean the support team's sysadmin(s) would need to learn a bit more about best practices and windows architecture, and the infrastructure team would still need to handle lower level networking and linux tickets.

Anyone have experience with either model and how it works with small teams?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Uplink is great, and even somewhat realistic in an abstract way.

There is absolutely nothing even remotely realistic about the hacking in Uplink, abstract or literal. However, it is still the MOST accurate depiction of hacking I've ever seen in mass media. Which makes me sad, because I think you could make a game about real hacking that would actually be really fun. Maybe when I have gobs of free time (yeah, right)....

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There are tons of "real" hacking puzzle games, some are fun, but all require programming knowledge and a passion for fiddling at a brick wall until you unlock the secret.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

There are tons of "real" hacking puzzle games, some are fun, but all require programming knowledge and a passion for fiddling at a brick wall until you unlock the secret.

I don't mean stuff like hackthissite.org (although that one is pretty fun). I mean a real game that applies concepts properly while handwaving away the boring/obtuse stuff. I don't expect people to be able to execute a SQL injection, but they can use a simplified port scanner interface to see that a database with the information you want is externally accessible and poke at it a bit with a GUI tool.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Thanks!

I'm putting in my paperwork tomorrow. I might get to teach a computer security class.

PM me if you'd like to chat. I got started in consulting as a corporate trainer and adjunct at several local colleges.

Makes me pine for the good old days. I did not make as much money but no one had a training emergency at 2am.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

tomapot posted:

Makes me pine for the good old days. I did not make as much money but no one had a training emergency at 2am.

Sure they did! many IT emergencies can be attributed to Training Emergencies nobody traces it back that far though!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think I've finally had enough of management at my work. They've known we've needed people badly for months and haven't hired anyone. Now they're trying to offer me a raise and a promotion which would make us even more short handed. The promotion wouldnt do me any good because I still end up getting stuck doing a lot of helpdesk and tier 1-2 network support since were so short handed. I've been putting in 60 hour weeks the last few weeks, and while I've been given comp time for the overtime, I wont be able to use it for months. Everything moves at a glacial place here, myself and other techs along with paid outside consultants have recommended a bunch of things to help ease our rapid growth only to see projects stagnate.

I'm starting to work on my resume and getting it updated and want to start sending some out next week. The only thing I'm not sure how to handle is a 3 month employment gap. I moved cross country and helped out my grandparents on the farm with harvest for those months as they were in a desperate need for help and it gave me a nice break from the IT world to get re-energized. Any advice? Do I just list tractor driver as my job for those 3 months?

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Nobody will bat an eye at 3 months. If they ask, tell them what you just told us.

Anybody who doesn't ignore that isn't someone you want to work for.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:allears:

It's... It's so *beautiful*.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think I've finally had enough of management at my work. They've known we've needed people badly for months and haven't hired anyone. Now they're trying to offer me a raise and a promotion which would make us even more short handed. The promotion wouldnt do me any good because I still end up getting stuck doing a lot of helpdesk and tier 1-2 network support since were so short handed. I've been putting in 60 hour weeks the last few weeks, and while I've been given comp time for the overtime, I wont be able to use it for months. Everything moves at a glacial place here, myself and other techs along with paid outside consultants have recommended a bunch of things to help ease our rapid growth only to see projects stagnate.

I'm starting to work on my resume and getting it updated and want to start sending some out next week. The only thing I'm not sure how to handle is a 3 month employment gap. I moved cross country and helped out my grandparents on the farm with harvest for those months as they were in a desperate need for help and it gave me a nice break from the IT world to get re-energized. Any advice? Do I just list tractor driver as my job for those 3 months?

3 Months is not a huge gap. I spent 2-3 months job hunting before I ended up at my last job.

If you really need to have an explanation you can tell them you had some family issues you had to help out with. That should be enough without having to go into detail. They don't need to know if someone was sick or whatever, its your personal life.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I spent 8 months between jobs before I got my last gig, just claimed to be a freelance IT contractor. Didn't even ask for references, but I could have arranged some if required.

But in your case I'd just be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I spent 8 months between jobs before I got my last gig, just claimed to be a freelance IT contractor. Didn't even ask for references, but I could have arranged some if required.

But in your case I'd just be honest.

Yep, Freelance Contractor. That's what I did during the Dotcom Crash. I went 9 months before finding a gig, but no one questioned it. Thankfully they didn't ask what projects I did during that time. "I... I scavenged food from a restaurant dumpster in an alley" :sobs:

But like Ants said, 3 month gap is fine. More than that? FREELANCE, HO!