Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

OB_Juan posted:

Ciaphas Cain can.

Opener?

Ciaphas Cain can open'er?

New page actual contribution:

Does anyone have/know some suggestions for making warp travel (Rogue Trader) a bit more interesting? I've mostly cut it out, seeing as there's no PC navigator and it ended up pretty much being me, rolling against myself, to see if the game ended/should drag for a bit.

Hawgh fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Hawgh posted:

Opener?

Ciaphas Cain can open'er?

New page actual contribution:

Does anyone have/know some suggestions for making warp travel (Rogue Trader) a bit more interesting? I've mostly cut it out, seeing as there's no PC navigator and it ended up pretty much being me, rolling against myself, to see if the game ended/should drag for a bit.

Rule of cool. If things are going well and the players are interested in really getting to the next place, don't let the warp slow it down.

Game seems like it's grinding down or hasn't had excitement in a while? Throw them a Gellar field failure with demonic incursion. If done right it can be really fun. Especially if they miss something and the bloodletter killing ratings that no one can find becomes a recurring thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Flip a coin, if heads, everyone grows and extra head. If tails... well, you get the idea.

If the players think warp travel SHOULD be interesting, find a way to inject some drama that doesn't require rolling - sabotage the geller field, enemy ship ahoy, etc.

If they don't, use it as a means to get from A to B without issue.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
The GM used the random disaster warp travel table from the RT navigator book and just travelling between wander and footfall we had like, two warp breaches and lost 90+% of the crew. I was kinda peeved at the time but in retrospect it was pretty fun trying to limp into port. and trying to sieze control of the warrant since the RT disappeared and my PC was the biggest, scariest person there

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

We used the warp travel rules from Navis Primer once.

Once.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Once.

Me too. They're way too cumbersome in my opinion. I just wing it and say "Bad stuff happens" when its plot-appropriate.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

The GM used the random disaster warp travel table from the RT navigator book and just travelling between wander and footfall we had like, two warp breaches and lost 90+% of the crew. I was kinda peeved at the time but in retrospect it was pretty fun trying to limp into port. and trying to sieze control of the warrant since the RT disappeared and my PC was the biggest, scariest person there
You actually had just a single actual warp encounter and you completely avoided that one. However, there's a 75% chance that your ship just eats a random crit if it travels between port wander and footfall for ??? reason.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Once.
Yeah I tried using them too and had the exact same reaction, see above.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Just think of cool stuff to happen, then do that. Since it's RT, find something in the Warp that is worth exploiting... if you're willing to take the risk. Probably a Space Hulk.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hodgepodge posted:

Just think of cool stuff to happen, then do that. Since it's RT, find something in the Warp that is worth exploiting... if you're willing to take the risk. Probably a Space Hulk.

When we were bored with the first RT game I ran, we did this as a finale. They found a Light Cruiser drifting in the warp and managed to drag it with them when they Realspaced out and then had a terrifying Event Horizon mission against the tortured spirits of the old crew. They thought it ended the game on a high note.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Once.

I did the same thing in rogue crusade, and literally the first warp travel would have taken 200 years and killed off the whole crew based on the rolls. So essentially I just hand waive warp travel. The folks on the ship are all Chaos dudes anyway, so a breach would be more like a party with daemons. The impression I get is they'd rather use their travel time making space drugs than fighting incursions.

If enough of the Rogue Crusade players tell me otherwise I'll turn the ship into a daemon party next time I update.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You shouldn't even use navigation rules in Black Crusade, you should use social interaction as you bargain with warp entities for passage or use your patron's authority.

Like seriously I work for Daemon Prince step off motherfucker.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

wiegieman posted:

use your patron's authority.
I'm now imagining a chaos spaceship with spaceship sized diplomat plates on it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Asehujiko posted:

Ork ships kinda do that. They use really big teeth mounted on the ship.

Also I think the idea is that Orks would just as soon the daemons step to anyhow so whatever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hodgepodge posted:

Also I think the idea is that Orks would just as soon the daemons step to anyhow so whatever.

There's one bit where an Ork is talking about how much he hates warp travel because nothing cool ever happens until he gets into all the rad (to an ork) horror poo poo that goes on and convinces himself traveling to the fight is just as much fun as the fight after all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Well, those big eight pointed star figureheads have to be worth something.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

For orks a demonic incursion is known as In-flight entertainment.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

LASCANNONS SOON, GENTLEMEN

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

There's one bit where an Ork is talking about how much he hates warp travel because nothing cool ever happens until he gets into all the rad (to an ork) horror poo poo that goes on and convinces himself traveling to the fight is just as much fun as the fight after all.

one bit in what

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it was an old ork codex.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.
Let's do Cicero, the CSM sorcerer.

Oooh, almost!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

He's 40K, there's no way he has hair.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

wiegieman posted:

He's 40K, there's no way he has hair.

In 40k you either have no hair or all the hair. Enjoy your top knot.

ed: also he's a 40k dude and not white? Did he mutate green skin or something?

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 16, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ronwayne posted:

Oddly, I don't think I've ever played a white dude in 40k.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If your CSM sorcerer doesn't have psychological problems, something is awry.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

contagonist posted:

Let's do Cicero, the CSM sorcerer.

Oooh, almost!

Ozman Khell, the scrunty-looking Psyker of the party, achieves bingo through the following:

-Criminal: He's a Psyker in the Imperium. Check. Also, supremely guilty of impersonating Inquisitors.
-Loner: See above with the whole "psyker" thing.
-Anti-Hero: Free space!
-Psychological Problems: ...He's a Psyker who wants to make a kingdom of Psykers. Nothing will ever go wrong with this plan, ever! Did we mention that one of his mutations is also Blessed Fits? No?
-Supernatural Powers: Psychic SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Also, Darksoul.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

Ronwayne posted:

His skin was originally Mediterranean brown, but gradually turned into this ashen dark gray. He's got a bit of a mop top from being really clumsy with scissors.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE! :black101: , I set up a combat where I thought that even with substandard rolls, the party would roll through things all right. The group instead made it one of the most grueling, slow combats I've GM'd yet. For the first 2 hours, the group killed 2 redemptionists. The actual cultists themselves killed 3 while trying to kill the players. It's not that they weren't trying, but no one was rolling lower than 75 for almost 2 hours straight. But in the end, there was a chainsaw fight on top of the sliding death train right before it plummeted off the cliff. So everything still turned out entertaining.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

Gaghskull posted:

This week in BLACK CRUSADE! :black101: , I set up a combat where I thought that even with substandard rolls, the party would roll through things all right. The group instead made it one of the most grueling, slow combats I've GM'd yet. For the first 2 hours, the group killed 2 redemptionists. The actual cultists themselves killed 3 while trying to kill the players. It's not that they weren't trying, but no one was rolling lower than 75 for almost 2 hours straight. But in the end, there was a chainsaw fight on top of the sliding death train right before it plummeted off the cliff. So everything still turned out entertaining.

When your first Focus Power test gets all of your guns jammed, you know you're in for some :unsmigghh:

Also, a redemptionist with a chainsword managed to crit Cicero's leg, but didn't... do any damage.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

contagonist posted:

When your first Focus Power test gets all of your guns jammed, you know you're in for some :unsmigghh:

Also, a redemptionist with a chainsword managed to crit Cicero's leg, but didn't... do any damage.

Keep in mind that was the second Focus Power test that did that overall in the same combat.

At least I scored a couple of environmental kills thanks to Psychic Scream's stunning!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I've been thinking about the joke that most OW games end up as absurdly well-equipped Guards playing plasma tag, and I think things like Primitive and Close Combat Regiments are an attempt to alleviate this.
I've also joked about Ecclesiarchy Battle Eunuchs being one of the many ways around the prohibition on "Men under arms", but I think kung fu monks and nuns are a slightly more serious alternative. I mean, Sororitas are like Space Marines; rare. How do you fill out the rest of your army list within the limits? Also swords and bows don't really count as weapons because they don't have machine spirits and you're a horrible rules lawyer.

While the idea of barehanded Lightning Attacking someone so hard the explode into shrapnel amuses me, I have to wonder if this would be a workable system for it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With Deadly Natural Weapon fists, as a base guardsman, you could possibly pummel another guy into crit in a round if he was unarmoured, and failed dodge/parry, and you scored multiple hits.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

There's a lvl 1 talent that also lets you do that as a ratling, and they're better in some ways due to higher agility and corresponding dodge. But really, fist mauling is more efficient for tearing apart formations with your bear hands. Send the hobbit to rend the mooks while you get into the gun fight with the named enemies.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

In the fluff, the Ecclesiarchy solves this problem with the Frateris Militia. Basically they are not supposed to have 'men under arms', a prohibition that prevents them from maintaining a professional or formal army. However, should thousands of devote imperial citizens be seized by their faith to take up arms in the defense of the Imperium or the Emperor's Creed, that would be an entirely different situation. Should that happen, it would not be at all surprising if members of the Ecclesiarchy were also swept up by the fervor that has claimed their lay brethern, and choose to accompany them so that their faith is best applied in accordance with the Emperor's will and doctrine. Once the crisis of the faith has passed, these people will surely return to their normal lives.

The Militia is badly equipped and basically untrained, little more than a frenzied mob whipped up and pointed in a direction by Missionaries and Clerics. But it woldn't be at all surprising if the Ecclesiarchy used it as a cover for small groups of actually trained and supplied soldiers to complete specific missions during the chaos. Any trace of them could be explained as members of the PDF who joined in or even zealous veterams taking up arms again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or arco-flagellants. Hordes of them corralled by some penitent handlers who just happen to look very similar to a veteran guard unit.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeah, I like those, but you're still not getting out of being Primitive, haha.

There was a creepy memorable scene from the movie The Warlords where archers had to use the front ranks as cover to get in bow range of enemy riflemen, but I think using the Frateris to soak up bullets as you charge would probably get old fast, so...ninja strike team? Take out weapon emplacements as the Frateris charge? See and kill high value targets?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Revolutionaries on a feral world under attack?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

goatface posted:

Revolutionaries on a feral world under attack?

Your world is under attack by some rear end in a top hat who came down from the sky, obliterated the high king with a handshake, and now declares himself your absolute lord and master and that all wealth on your planet belongs to him. Do you have the skill, cunning, bravery, and strength necessary to kill this 'Rogue Trader' and his villainous troops, seize their star-ship, and avenge your king?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
18 months ago a strange light was seen in the sky. The old ones said it was the light of the Sky Warriors who would arrive to hold the great hunt and select the best of you to join their war in heaven. Instead there was a great rumbling of the earth and a year without summer. The old ones could not help gather the meagre food available to feed the tribe and were killed for their lies. Now strange creatures have been seen by the hunters, hulking trolls out of the stories attended by their fairy minions that snatch hunters away and burn camps to the ground.

Can you and your hunting party find out the secret of the monsters of make believe, and survive the long and dangerous trip to the Temple of Great Offerings to summon the Sky Warriors at their most holy place?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I was running primitive game, I think I'd swap BS and WS aptitudes. Make everyone able to use a spear/sword, but being a good bowman is a rarer skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goatface posted:

18 months ago a strange light was seen in the sky. The old ones said it was the light of the Sky Warriors who would arrive to hold the great hunt and select the best of you to join their war in heaven. Instead there was a great rumbling of the earth and a year without summer. The old ones could not help gather the meagre food available to feed the tribe and were killed for their lies. Now strange creatures have been seen by the hunters, hulking trolls out of the stories attended by their fairy minions that snatch hunters away and burn camps to the ground.

Can you and your hunting party find out the secret of the monsters of make believe, and survive the long and dangerous trip to the Temple of Great Offerings to summon the Sky Warriors at their most holy place?

Ok, so Only D&D is definitely something that needs to be run.