Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

I use CrashPlan and Time Machine to a Time Capsule on a Macbook Air and don't ever see it doing much to the system performance.

Same on a 2011 iMac for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
I'm probably being thick and missing something that's right in front of my eyes, but how can I stop the App Store/iTunes/whatever else from asking for my iCloud password every single time I want to do something?

It's incredibly annoying to have to go and grab it from LastPass every time.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
The CrashPlan java app is a dog IMO, but I still use it. I'd probably have switched to Backblaze but it won't backup a mounted NAS.

FWIW the CrashPlan people promised a native app around 2012... About a year ago they sent out another tweet about it nearing readiness, and in November some employee tweeted that he'd played with it and it was awesome. I don't know what the gently caress is taking them so long but (fingers crossed) maybe we're finally in the home stretch.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Malf posted:

I'm probably being thick and missing something that's right in front of my eyes, but how can I stop the App Store/iTunes/whatever else from asking for my iCloud password every single time I want to do something?

Somewhere in settings you can tell it to wait for a certain amount of time before it asks you for your password again but you can't get out of and putting it at least every 15 to 20 minutes I think.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I emailed them about shipping a Retina menubar icon a few years ago and they said there was a big revamp coming any day now. Crashplan has saved my rear end more than once, and I've never had a problem with the actual synchronization process (unlike Spideroak), but the UI is a confusing, non-native, convoluted mess.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Malf posted:

What do you mean by "every single time I want to do something"? I think getting prompted for your password is unavoidable when making a purchase (though you should be able to increase the timeout before you have to re-enter it like Riven said) but you shouldn't need to enter your password to e.g. update an already-installed app.

Are you logged into iCloud in Preferences -> iCloud? What's the actual prompt say -- are you getting prompted for your iCloud password or your "Local Items" keychain password? Are you using 2-factor authentication with your iCloud account?

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!

Lawen posted:

What do you mean by "every single time I want to do something"? I think getting prompted for your password is unavoidable when making a purchase (though you should be able to increase the timeout before you have to re-enter it like Riven said) but you shouldn't need to enter your password to e.g. update an already-installed app.

Are you logged into iCloud in Preferences -> iCloud? What's the actual prompt say -- are you getting prompted for your iCloud password or your "Local Items" keychain password? Are you using 2-factor authentication with your iCloud account?

Updating apps I already have installed
Installing OS X updates
Installing free apps

I'm logged into iCloud already - and yes, it's my iCloud password it wants. Not using 2-factor precisely because of this problem.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Eight Is Legend posted:

I already had an account on Picturelife, so no extra MB for you, sorry, but thanks for reminding me about it :) . If I make edits on some photos wherever, do those edits get synced with Picturelife?

Sorry I missed this in all the CrashPlan chat, but I don't know. Shoot an email to Picturelife support. They're really helpful.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm on board with Crashplan, I use it for my photos and archives on my desktop. I haven't had any real problems for years now, but I've also never really needed the service except as a way to grab random files from my desktop using my phone when I'm away. I'll probably go full-Apple with a MBP this year so I was wondering about power use and stuff. If it's customizable, then I guess it doesn't matter!

I don't think I need it for my MBA, though. I only have like 80gb of stuff on here and it's all sitting in Dropbox and Google drive folders and backed up with Time Machine to an external anyway.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Malf posted:

Updating apps I already have installed
Installing OS X updates
Installing free apps

I'm logged into iCloud already - and yes, it's my iCloud password it wants. Not using 2-factor precisely because of this problem.
What version of OS X are you running? Mine hasn't bugged me about the Apple ID for updates since Mavericks came out.
I think OS X updates prompt me for a local admin account password rather than my Apple ID because they're going to modify files on the system.
App installs are always going to prompt for your password because it's tying them to your Apple ID.

Essentially, OS X uses a security model that sacrifices user friendliness for added security in some cases by design so there's not going to be much you can do to change the behaviour of the App Store specifically.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else as pleased as me that they updated Evernote to let you customize the toolbar? gently caress that Work Chat poo poo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

The CrashPlan java app is a dog IMO, but I still use it. I'd probably have switched to Backblaze but it won't backup a mounted NAS.

FWIW the CrashPlan people promised a native app around 2012... About a year ago they sent out another tweet about it nearing readiness, and in November some employee tweeted that he'd played with it and it was awesome. I don't know what the gently caress is taking them so long but (fingers crossed) maybe we're finally in the home stretch.
I'd hope it's a really extensive bug testing process. Watch it finally come out and be incompatible with 10.10 (or perhaps .11/.12 at their pace).

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Is there a way to get iCloud drive to only sync certain folders to the local machine?

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

JHVH-1 posted:

My machine started freaking out today every time it switched to discreet GPU. I thought it was one of the updates waiting to be applied, which I can't even look at now because the app store backend is giving 503 responses. Cleared the NVRAM and it hasn't crashed again yet (cross fingers).

Anyone else seeing some crazy behavior? I have the 10.10.3 beta installed, thought that might have something to do with it or my machine from 2011 is just about to die.
If you're talking about a MacBook then http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/ may be of use to you.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Fistful of Silence posted:

If you're talking about a MacBook then http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/ may be of use to you.

Ah thanks. After clearing the NVRAM though I haven't had it reboot on me again so far.

I wish they had this with the model I had before, cause it basically had the same drat problem and the video went scrambled. Machine would boot but you can't see what it is doing, otherwise I was going to turn that one into headless machine but ended up getting a mac mini.

If it acts up I'll definitely use that option to get it fixed. Would be a shame to trash a good machine.
The battery life sucks, but I use the machine plugged in at home. The built in card reader died a long time back, but I would have needed an external one that does SDXC anyway. Those problems are easy to live with, but the machine randomly rebooting kinda made it hard to get work done.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

If it acts up I'll definitely use that option to get it fixed. Would be a shame to trash a good machine.

Don't do that. Just go to the Apple Store, tell them your machine is covered under the recall (er, sorry, "hardware capture"? no, sorry, "warranty extension program".) Tell them what you experienced, tell them it's likely caused by that issue, tell them you demand to have it serviced. It's loving BS this poo poo happens, it's not Apple's fault but someone has to pay for selling everyone a lemon. Apple sold it so to Apple you go. Force the issue, don't gently caress around. Your laptop WILL likely die. You are already experiencing the symptoms of this problem. Eventually it just won't boot up. If it doesn't happen to you, it'll happen to whoever you sell it to. You need that mainboard replaced and you shouldn't pay a loving cent for it. It took ages for Apple to admit that this was a thing, and you absolutely should not put it off just because 'it's not so bad yet...'.

If anything, having the mainboard fully replaced by Apple will add resale value. :P

Just don't gently caress around too long. Anecdotal evidence sucks but I'll tell you what happened to me. I had graphics corruption. Then I had random freezes, random kernel panics, just unexplained weird behaviour by the system. Then it wouldn't power on. This took a WHILE. Like a year! I waited like you. DON'T. They have the warranty program. Just do it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Malf posted:

I had this problem for a while. Make sure that your Apple Id is entered under Systems Preferences / Users & Groups / (your account) / Password

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Pivo posted:

Don't do that. Just go to the Apple Store, tell them your machine is covered under the recall (er, sorry, "hardware capture"? no, sorry, "warranty extension program".) Tell them what you experienced, tell them it's likely caused by that issue, tell them you demand to have it serviced. It's loving BS this poo poo happens, it's not Apple's fault but someone has to pay for selling everyone a lemon. Apple sold it so to Apple you go. Force the issue, don't gently caress around. Your laptop WILL likely die. You are already experiencing the symptoms of this problem. Eventually it just won't boot up. If it doesn't happen to you, it'll happen to whoever you sell it to. You need that mainboard replaced and you shouldn't pay a loving cent for it. It took ages for Apple to admit that this was a thing, and you absolutely should not put it off just because 'it's not so bad yet...'.

If anything, having the mainboard fully replaced by Apple will add resale value. :P

Just don't gently caress around too long. Anecdotal evidence sucks but I'll tell you what happened to me. I had graphics corruption. Then I had random freezes, random kernel panics, just unexplained weird behaviour by the system. Then it wouldn't power on. This took a WHILE. Like a year! I waited like you. DON'T. They have the warranty program. Just do it.

And to add to this, if you get the logic board replaced, your SD card slot will work again.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I'm really hoping someone can help me figure out a really strange problem that's been plaguing me for some time, with no solution in sight.

I have an older Mac Mini Server at my house, running OS X Yosemite Server. It's acting as a VPN server, and all ports have been forwarded on the firewall. The VPN does work. When I connect to the VPN from outside my house using my iPhone or iPad, it works perfectly. I have "Forward all traffic" set, and I can get out to the internet with no problem at all. I can have my iPhone in Tokyo, and as long as I'm VPN'd back to my house, any web browsing on the phone will appear to be coming from my home IP address. The way it's supposed to be.

Here's the kicker... when I connect to the exact same VPN using the exact same configuration using a Mac, it's severely broken. The VPN connects with zero problems and I can get to any of the devices on my home internal network, but getting out to the internet is next to impossible. Pages take upwards of (literally) five to ten minutes to load, if they load at all. And more often than not (99% of the time), they just don't. The Mac itself doesn't matter. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, and a 2014 MacBook Pro and the problem happens with both of them. It happens with Yosemite, and it happened with Mavericks too.

It's not a bandwidth problem: I have a beefy business-class internet connection at home.
It doesn't seem to be a VPN Server problem: Like I said the VPN works absolutely perfectly when you connect using an iOS device.

I usually know how to wrench on computer machines to make them do what I want, but this problem has be completely at a loss. Please help.

Thanks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sounds like something real deeply involved, I remember tackling something like this for a client and we had to fiddle with TTL and buffer settings until it worked..

What kind of Mac Mini? Exact ID would help. Sometimes Minis ship with a poo poo logic board / Ethernet controller and I had to change cables because the timing crystal was off by just enough that it would work with a Cat5e but not a 6 cable. Solved with a logic board swap..

Sure the ISP isn't doing some port blocking / throttling shenanigans?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well it took all week but my photo library is now in the iCloud Photo Library. It was around ~50-55GBs of photos and videos and aside from taking forever, it all behaved as expected. It shows up properly on both my iPhone and iPad and the "optimized" storage on iOS devices doesn't take a huge chunk of space (unless you have a 16GB device, :lol:). It's taking about 3GB on my phone to list and have thumbnails for everything. Not bad for 10k+ photos.

The only issue I currently have is that my phone appears to have 2 phantom photos based on count when compared to my iPad and iMac. Oh and some of the thumbnails are glitchy/displayng the wrong image. Smart albums are nice and I'm generally pretty happy with all the new poo poo (I didn't use Aperture in the past so I don't know what I'm losing by not having it now that it got merged).

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Binary Badger posted:

Sounds like something real deeply involved, I remember tackling something like this for a client and we had to fiddle with TTL and buffer settings until it worked..

What kind of Mac Mini? Exact ID would help. Sometimes Minis ship with a poo poo logic board / Ethernet controller and I had to change cables because the timing crystal was off by just enough that it would work with a Cat5e but not a 6 cable. Solved with a logic board swap..

Not sure if you missed the part that said that the VPN works perfectly with iDevices. So it's not a problem with the Mini's hardware or the ISP.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Binary Badger posted:

It could also be something stupid that mDNSresponder/discoveryd is doing given all the issues we've seen with it recently.

Accipiter, I'm running basically the same setup as you and the main thing I've noticed that causes problems is DNS on my client machines (not the server). Would you have made any changes to either the DNS servers or search suffixes on your Macs? I know the most common cause of networking issues we see at work is people changing their DNS servers so that Netflix will work and breaking other stuff in the process.

The best way to test I can think of would be to tether your Macs to your iPhone (if you can) and start up the VPN while tethered instead of being on Wi-Fi/Ethernet. It'll let you narrow down if it's something in the environment you're in on the computers at least.

I'll double check what settings I'm using when I get to work.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pivo posted:

At the moment I use the machine for work. If it died I would pick up whatever is in stock at the store.
I think I need to start looking at getting a dedicated work machine or a gaming PC setup that I can do work on.
I could rip my mac mini media server off the tv and hook it up to a monitor if I really needed to, but I don't even have a good desk setup. drat, I just realized I have been working at this job since September and really have put off having a proper home office.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
This might be more of a gmail issue but I noticed Mail app doesn't seem to sync all my emails in subfolders through gmail?

(ie. I have 2000 files in folder on the gmail website, and only 500 appears in my mail app?)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Like, no one does IMAP properly. It's the worst. Mail.app is decent, but eh...

Restart the app first, then right click your inbox and do "Synchronize", if your folders still don't show up then open the context menu again and go to Account Info. Do all the folders and counts appear right there? There's also a "subscription list", it's an IMAP eccentricity that you can 'subscribe' to folders, the options are greyed out for me but that may an issue if folders are missing.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Does the new Photos app even handle the case of multiple .photolibrary bundles in the system? I've already had to deal with Plex automatically sharing all of them as one single library.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I have a feeling that the answer is going to be "no", but is there a way to extend the codec support of quicktime in Yosemite to include more formats like webm so that Safari will display them embedded? It looks like perian was abandoned long ago and no longer works with the latest versions of quicktime.

Also: any really useful safari extensions that aren't in the OP? the safari dev scene seems really dead.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I haven't seen any discussion about HBO Now.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/hbo-now/

I don't get it. You cannot order this via iTunes on an iMac? I don't have an Apple TV, because I don't have a TV, so I don't have cable, and cannot have HBO. I'm not interested in streaming TV on my iPhone. It seems to be excluding the exact demographic it wants to target. Am I missing something?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Toe Rag posted:

I don't get it. You cannot order this via iTunes on an iMac? I don't have an Apple TV, because I don't have a TV, so I don't have cable, and cannot have HBO. I'm not interested in streaming TV on my iPhone. It seems to be excluding the exact demographic it wants to target. Am I missing something?

You just have to make your account from iOS or Apple TV. You can watch using https://www.hbonow.com. on any platform, even at launch.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Toe Rag posted:

Nope, support for other streaming things will come later. Apple has an exclusive launch period.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

enMTW posted:

You just have to make your account from iOS or Apple TV. You can watch using https://www.hbonow.com. on any platform, even at launch.

Is there anywhere that actually says this? Because hbonow.com literally lists the Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad as the only compatible devices.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

http://order.hbonow.com/faq/index.html posted:

What devices will HBO NOW℠ be compatible with at launch?
At launch HBO NOW℠ will be available on desktop/laptop computers as well as iOS devices, including iPad®, iPhone®, iPod touch® and Apple TV®. HBO NOW℠ will roll out to additional devices soon."]

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

:downs:

Welp, at least I don't have to worry about picking up yet-another-box to hook up to my display.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does it have chrome cast though ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does it have chrome cast though ?

HBO does work with chromecast yes. I can't see why having an individual subscription would change that, but media companies can be very dumb.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Mercurius posted:

It could also be something stupid that mDNSresponder/discoveryd is doing given all the issues we've seen with it recently.

Accipiter, I'm running basically the same setup as you and the main thing I've noticed that causes problems is DNS on my client machines (not the server). Would you have made any changes to either the DNS servers or search suffixes on your Macs? I know the most common cause of networking issues we see at work is people changing their DNS servers so that Netflix will work and breaking other stuff in the process.

The best way to test I can think of would be to tether your Macs to your iPhone (if you can) and start up the VPN while tethered instead of being on Wi-Fi/Ethernet. It'll let you narrow down if it's something in the environment you're in on the computers at least.

I'll double check what settings I'm using when I get to work.

Thanks for the info. DNS is actually set by the VPN server. The internal network on which the VPN resides has its own DNS server, and the VPN tells its clients to use that one.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Is there a way to delete individual files from my Trash, like in Windows? I don't think there is, but I'm asking because not being able to seems really...silly. There are times when I want to hold onto a file just in case, and there are times I know without a doubt that I can dump a file.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Can't you rm it from ~/.Trash ? Don't have a Mac here at work, but that seems reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Or you could just take the files you want to keep out of the trash.