Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What, how does it work? Can I upload my entire collection of ripped CDs (as long as it's less than 50,000 songs) for free?! What's the catch here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Xabi posted:

What, how does it work? Can I upload my entire collection of ripped CDs (as long as it's less than 50,000 songs) for free?! What's the catch here?

It kind of sucks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xabi posted:

1. It takes forever to upload and 2. Google now knows your musical tastes and will start serving you ads based on them.

Those are pretty much the only two arguments against Google Music. It is awesome and I highly recommend it.

That said if Apple's rumored Beats Music/iTunes in the Cloud actually comes to fruition I will probably switch to it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Because I have no reference to go against, I'm deferring to the goon brain trust:

Around iOS 8.0.1, iCloud Tabs partially broke for me by not allowing me to close tabs from another iOS device (it still worked in OS X). Now in iOS 8.2, I can close tabs from another device, but there's a noticeable lag in closing. The tabs don't disappear on close in iOS but do in OS X. Basically, is this expected behaviour, or is iCloud Tabs still buggy for me?

Incidentally, I'm kind of sad they didn't fix the AirPlay button bug on the iPad, especially as I often use my iPad with bluetooth earphones at work.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My boss wants a 'spare' iPhone in case his breaks (more likely than you might think in his tender care - his gear has a horrifying attrition rate) and has left me with figuring out how to do it for him.

I have been an iOS user for years but have never tried using a phone's backup to essentially clone it to another device and then have them both working independently from that point. Is this possible? Will I run into problems if I do this? I'd really prefer not to go through and set up this new phone bit by bit to match the older one.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ineptmule posted:

My boss wants a 'spare' iPhone in case his breaks (more likely than you might think in his tender care - his gear has a horrifying attrition rate) and has left me with figuring out how to do it for him.

I have been an iOS user for years but have never tried using a phone's backup to essentially clone it to another device and then have them both working independently from that point. Is this possible? Will I run into problems if I do this? I'd really prefer not to go through and set up this new phone bit by bit to match the older one.

Back it up with iTunes and make sure to check the encrypted backup box, so it saves all the stored passwords that are in the phone's keychain. Then you'll basically have a 1:1 copy to restore onto a different phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lelandjs posted:

1. It takes forever to upload
I haven't done it in awhile, but I understand it matches songs when it can now, so it's not actually uploading unless all you have is 2 hour EDM mixes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't done it in awhile, but I understand it matches songs when it can now, so it's not actually uploading unless all you have is 2 hour EDM mixes.

iTunes Match does this. Google Music, if I remember correctly, uploads everything.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

iTunes Match does this. Google Music, if I remember correctly, uploads everything.

They added scan & match about two years ago.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Endless Mike posted:

It'll also match the EDM mixes assuming they're available on iTunes.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

Back it up with iTunes and make sure to check the encrypted backup box, so it saves all the stored passwords that are in the phone's keychain. Then you'll basically have a 1:1 copy to restore onto a different phone.

Magic! Thank you.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

When you restore from an encrypted iTunes backup, your home screen layouts are restored, all your texts and emails and everything else from the time of your backup are restored, all your app data (saved games, files) and apps are restored without redownloading, including their login credentials (encrypted only), all of your music and photos are restored. It's seamless.
I think you're confusing iCloud Backup with iCloud Sync.

An iCloud Backup is exactly the same as a local iTunes backup except for two things, it does not back up your music/media library (just the iTunes stuff, camera roll is saved), or your downloaded apps (but it does backup configure/save data).

Those are the only differences between the two.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kitten smoothie posted:

They added scan & match about two years ago.

Which is awesome, and annoying. I had to reupload a few things because it kept thinking it was the edited version for some weird reason.

Rick posted:

It kind of sucks.

It only sucks if you have awful ID3 tags and unsorted music. If you're uploading your own and not using all access, its a brilliant service that works exactly as intended.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I stream all my music with Google play music app, 50000 songs for free! I have my whole iTunes library on there

This is actually me as well. I pay for All Access, and I really like googles setup. Pin a playlist, add to it from anywhere, auto syncs on your phone. Simple poo poo.

I love all access. I'm a shill, whatever. But fact is everyone I've turned onto it, apple people included, pay 9.99 a month for it and love the hell out of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple's servers for nearly everything are apparently not working now, which freaked me out when I couldn't get some apps to update and then couldn't log into my Apple ID. (I have 2FA on, so it's very unlikely it got stolen.)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Endless Mike posted:

I don't really take many videos, but I have a 64 GB phone and have plenty of available space, so I don't really think too much about them. They're all auto-backed up in iCloud anyway, *shrug*.

You pay extra for iCloud space?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. The whole $1 a month isn't exactly breaking the bank. I wouldn't even need that if my iPad backup wasn't 4.7 GB for some reason.

I should really find out what's doing that since my iPhone backup is 576 MB and I use that for way more things.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has the App Store been down all morning? This is my first time back on an iOS device in like 3 years, so I don't know if this is a bug or not.

Edit: by "down," I mean I can search for apps and find them, but nothing is downloading.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's a wide-scale outage, yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I have an update available that refuses to update too.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Does anybody use an MDM in a corporate environment that they like? I only need about 30 device licenses, and Airwatch seemed like a good deal until I found out that the installation cost is 3 times the cost of the licenses. I just need a way to install certificates on devices for VPN and 802.1x, and enforce a passcode (and maybe a few other simple things). Since the iOS profile settings are standard, I assume any MDM can do these things. I'm hoping for something to host on prem that costs less than say 75$/device (ongoing support cost is fine).

It's not that I'm cheap, it's that Airwatch was in the no-brainer category, and assured me that yes, $50/device is the cost, you won't get any surprises, and then surprise you actually have to pay $250/device because we're dishonest. Now I have to shop around, and MDM is super boring and I don't give a poo poo about it and the Airwatch guy doesn't seem to get that that's why I'm annoyed.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm confused about how my phone is determining how much space apps are taking up. When I add up the list on my phone, it comes out at 2.94 GB, but the total at the top shows 4.9 GB. What is using that extra space?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What list are we talking about here? Settings>Usage>Manage Storage ?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What list are we talking about here? Settings>Usage>Manage Storage ?

Yep.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I think you're confusing iCloud Backup with iCloud Sync.

An iCloud Backup is exactly the same as a local iTunes backup except for two things, it does not back up your music/media library (just the iTunes stuff, camera roll is saved), or your downloaded apps (but it does backup configure/save data).

Those are the only differences between the two.

Ok, I haven't used it since it first came out, but it sounds like they've improved some things.

My original point is that an iTunes backup/restore is still way more convenient because you don't have to download your music or apps again, you just have to hit restore and wait awhile. Unless you mean that when you restore from iCloud your screens fill up with little placeholders of all your apps in the right spot that download over time and your music library populates with songs with that cloud icon (if you don't use Match). If that happens, then it's just awesome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Super Dude posted:

I'm confused about how my phone is determining how much space apps are taking up. When I add up the list on my phone, it comes out at 2.94 GB, but the total at the top shows 4.9 GB. What is using that extra space?

If you are manually adding up the list then you are doing it wrong.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

withak posted:

If you are manually adding up the list then you are doing it wrong.

Ok...how should I be doing it then?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
General question, but iphone/iPad related because those are the devices we all own. I have a roof deck with a pair of outdoor speakers whose terminus is on the third floor of my house. I want to be able to send audio from my phone to the speakers and control it on my roof. I bought a small amp and a Bluetooth receiver, which works but inconsistently. It's definitely because the roof/walls between me and the receiver are too much for the Bluetooth signal.

Is there a way to do this via wifi? I want a direct connection between my phone and the speakers (I.e. no PC in between) and I want it to work with whatever audio app I'm using on my phone (iTunes, iRadio, Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc.). I thought of using an Apple TV with AirPlay, but my amp is R/L component or 3.5mm input (it's a small car amp) and Apple TV is optical audio and HDMI.

Basically I want a wifi version of a Bluetooth receiver, but that doesn't seem to exist.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Super Dude posted:

Ok...how should I be doing it then?

Don't manually add up the list.

edit: Also turn off the battery percent indicator.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fremry posted:

General question, but iphone/iPad related because those are the devices we all own. I have a roof deck with a pair of outdoor speakers whose terminus is on the third floor of my house. I want to be able to send audio from my phone to the speakers and control it on my roof. I bought a small amp and a Bluetooth receiver, which works but inconsistently. It's definitely because the roof/walls between me and the receiver are too much for the Bluetooth signal.

Is there a way to do this via wifi? I want a direct connection between my phone and the speakers (I.e. no PC in between) and I want it to work with whatever audio app I'm using on my phone (iTunes, iRadio, Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc.). I thought of using an Apple TV with AirPlay, but my amp is R/L component or 3.5mm input (it's a small car amp) and Apple TV is optical audio and HDMI.

Basically I want a wifi version of a Bluetooth receiver, but that doesn't seem to exist.

AppleTV?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fremry posted:

You're right it doesn't, because they're completely different technologies with completely different protocols.

Maybe look into pure wifi solutions, like the Sonos stuff.

Bluetooth is really bad at walls, it was designed for about ten foot line of sight.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

withak posted:

I want to reclaim the storage iOS is mysteriously eating up. My phone is only 16GB, and a majority of it is filled with music and podcasts I listen to during the day since my connection is almost nonexistent at work. Why do they bother showing that list if it is completely wrong? This is about 12% of the storage that is unaccounted for.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

withak posted:

He's not being a sperg. The phone is reporting that xxgb space is used but when he goes into the details it shows that only yygb are accounted for. He's trying to figure out where the difference is coming from.

My guess would be it's either the OS itself (which isn't listed in the detail view) or something deep in the system files like the dreaded "other" issue.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Lately, my iPhone 4 hasn't been able to find almost anything transferred to it from a computer in any way. Syncing things over with iTunes doesn't work; it will show the songs and ringtones in the phone's view in iTunes grayed out with the dotted circle icon to the left. Using a filesystem access tool to try to add things manually hasn't worked either. Restoring the phone did not change either of these behaviors, and I'm stuck. What other options are available to me? I should note that I still use iTunes 11, since it works just fine with my phone.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Read my post again.

xzzy posted:

You're right it doesn't, because they're completely different technologies with completely different protocols.

Maybe look into pure wifi solutions, like the Sonos stuff.

Bluetooth is really bad at walls, it was designed for about ten foot line of sight.

Yeah, I am trying to find a pure wifi solution but I can't seem to find one. I was hoping people in here had known of one. Sonos doesn't seem to work because it's local files, and doesn't work with apps. My short term is to try a heavy duty 150ft Bluetooth receiver and hope it is enough to make it through the walls. I'll return it if it doesn't work. Looking for a backup in case this doesn't work.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Fremry posted:

If you can get an ethernet line or wireless signal up to the roof deck (which you'll need for the iDevice to control things anyhow), an airport express base station will work. It has a 3.5mm jack for speakers. I use mine in exactly the way you describe.

e: there's a 1-2 second lag between when you execute a command (start/stop/skip track, etc.) and when it actually occurs, but this has surprisingly proven not to be annoying.

e2: you might also want to read the airport express manual online to look at how to hook it up/bridge it before actually getting one to make sure there's no weird dealbreaker condition to your specific use case.

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 12, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Airport Express should work fine, you just need to buy a 1/8" to component cable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I asked Siri why her voice sounded different and she said that she just had a little tea with lemon.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Thank you guys, that's what I'm looking for. If this extended Bluetooth thing doesn't work (150ft range while being 15 feet away through a roof), that's where I'm going. The Bluetooth receiver just happens to be 1/2 the price, which I can return to Amazon if it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Super Dude posted:

Check out the phone cleaner OS X app that just came out recently. It's good if you're low on space for clearing some cache junk.