Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Otherworld would probably look decent if they just dropped the pixelization altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Vib Rib posted:

Just looked this up and found out it was a Punch Out! clone. Still, the animation's not too shabby.

Yeah, that was pretty much the point. But it was a fun one. And considering at the time there wasn't a Punch Out in sight it pleased me.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Vib Rib posted:

I think at one point Redigit said ideally Terraria 2 would be 2.5D -- that is, 3D graphics but still played on a 2D plane.

Dear god, no.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ltoW4LsGk
Yes, I know it's April Fool's Day, but there's a new feed featuring some cool new weapons, a little bit of UI tweaking, and Steam integration.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm for it

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

What's wrong with 2.5D? The latest Kirby games have been 2.5D and I haven't heard anyone bitching about that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I can count the number of 2.5d games that don't look like garbage on one hand. And even then, I always feel like they'd look better as 2D games anyway. Granted, I'm one of those pixel art nerds, but I still have pretty big qualms about 2.5d games in general.

I'll give you that Oddworld did this look really well, but that's like, the ONE game I couldn't confidently say I'd rather just have sprite art.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think it could be good. I like 2.5D. There is also a lot of lovely pixel art but I don't think it's a good idea to completely disregard the art style because of it.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

I can count the number of 2.5d games that don't look like garbage on one hand. And even then, I always feel like they'd look better as 2D games anyway. Granted, I'm one of those pixel art nerds, but I still have pretty big qualms about 2.5d games in general.

I'll give you that Oddworld did this look really well, but that's like, the ONE game I couldn't confidently say I'd rather just have sprite art.

I will always rep the Klonoa series as a great example of 2.5d done right to people who are on the fence about the style. Those games were gorgeous, and the way the paths curved around the levels was really innovative at the time.
but not the GBA games we don't talk about those

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Technically, 2.5D can mean a lot of things. Limbo was 2.5D, and the Donkey Kong Country games cheated 2.5D back before it was actually feasible on a console.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kirby 64 and Goemon's Great Adventure looked great on relatively weak technology as well. Plus, like, every modern sidescrolling Mario is really good looking.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Tomba was 2.5d and also the poo poo.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Baron von Eevl posted:

Tomba was 2.5d and also the poo poo.

I had completely forgotten about the Tomba games :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Could you call Crash Bandicoot, like, 2.75D? It's a 3D game, for sure, but about half the levels play like a 2.5D one.

Edit Holy poo poo, I can't believe I forgot :siren: Mischief Makers :siren:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Could you call Crash Bandicoot, like, 2.75D? It's a 3D game, for sure, but about half the levels play like a 2.5D one.

Edit Holy poo poo, I can't believe I forgot :siren: Mischief Makers :siren:

I still have my copy of MM sitting my N64 and boot it up every now and then for the Summer Festival levels or whichever it was that had all the minigames.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tamayachi posted:

I still have my copy of MM sitting my N64 and boot it up every now and then for the Summer Festival levels or whichever it was that had all the minigames.

Mischief Makers was so weird. I know which stages you're talking about, though, specifically because one of the things that comes up in that section's story is that some extremely minor character you may or may not have met passed away. As a kid, I was half :confused: and half :stare:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I am so disappointed that not one person even tried to post "shake shake".

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I am so disappointed that not one person even tried to post "shake shake".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1sKtz-MnVE

I remember spending weeks trying for every single gold gem to get the full ending, believing in some sort of crazy secret ending or more levels.

EDIT: Watching these videos, I'm depressed that Squeenix hasn't brought this series back.

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 6, 2015

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

After a lengthy break (and a change to a different computer) I've come back to Terraria, but after a long time faffing about achieving nothing, I wanted to give myself a little help, so I could beat Wall of Flesh and actually proceed somewhat.
But for some reason the inventory editor doesn't work. Is this a result of missing updates, or have I just done something wrong? I just want a set of molten armor and some other stuff, so I can start Hardmode :I

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Almost certainly your copy of whichever editor you're using is out of date. Just get one off the Terraria forums.

Alternatively you can make a Molten Whosit Gun or get Demon Scythe from the flying dudes in Hell and spamming one of those against the Wall of Flesh will kill it pretty quickly.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Molten bow works okay with Jester's/Unholy arrows.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I recently started a new world and beat the WoF with Bee Armor, Imp Minions and soem ranged weapon. I also seeded my bridge with a ton of spiky balls, which I think helps.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm waiting until next month for the big 1.3 patch to pick this up again, but their site seems to be down so I have no idea if that's still on track

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Tamayachi posted:

I'm waiting until next month for the big 1.3 patch to pick this up again, but their site seems to be down so I have no idea if that's still on track

Last I saw it was expected to be sometime in June.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tamayachi posted:

Official Terraria Site posted:

The Terraria 1.3 update is fast approaching - June will be here before we all know it!

Emphasis mine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can't wait to pick this up again. I had a blast when 1.2 came out and a few goons put up server-side character servers up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RE: The pre-hardmode chat.

Just get meteor armor and a space gun! Pre-hardmode doesn't ever really require anything else. Admittedly, you're a bit squishier than you'd be in Molten armor, but the trade-off is that you can blast away from a distance without worrying about mana or ammo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I used Meteorite Armor/Spacegun to take down the WoF, it's plenty for pre-hardmode.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Been playing a bit on and off lately. I have come to love sticky bombs in the early game, especially if you have Crimson. Getting a good gun early, not to mention the blood cloud wand, really changed the way I played.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Does anyone have some good ideas for making a hellevator more interesting? This time I'm just kind of taking my time and over-engineering everything I do, so my tube is lined with mud that I've planted mushroom grass on, and each side also has a 2-block layer of stone slab.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does anyone have some good ideas for making a hellevator more interesting? This time I'm just kind of taking my time and over-engineering everything I do, so my tube is lined with mud that I've planted mushroom grass on, and each side also has a 2-block layer of stone slab.

I like to backlight them with lavafall walls.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Crimson Harvest posted:

It would be an absolutely massive and expensive undertaking, but construct the walls and backwalls out of metallic bricks. Silver in particular would look fairly nice.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Metallic brick and colored torches for as psychedelic experience as possible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nighthand posted:

Metallic brick and colored torches for as psychedelic experience as possible.
This,

I am no stranger to dumb poo poo involving collecting an unreasonable number of gems.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

rainbow bricks.

you know it must be done.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does anyone have some good ideas for making a hellevator more interesting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-f-uS2KxgQ

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Crimson Harvest posted:

A minecart elevator zigging left and right constantly looks pretty hilarious - add some flashing lights and you should be able to induce epilepsy each time you head down.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does anyone have some good ideas for making a hellevator more interesting?

I always start mine off as a well, complete with rope/chain leading downwards into hell.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

I dig straight down from my town and end it off with a small pool just above the hell zone.
I make sure I have walls on both sides of the shaft to preserve any decently large sources of water on the way down for convenient obsidian farming.
Also torches frequently placed so I can see crap as I'm falling, it helps when you hit hard mode to see easy to get metal deposits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXam7gSObek

Can't believe how much I am looking forward to this update considering I've played the poo poo out of it. The new hell background looks amazing.

• Locked thread