Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

So Joyce lied to parliment and one of his staff indicated they had information about it they then recieved a bunch of calls from the office of the pm and on the day of the big reveal had nothing to say. They then immediately went on leave.

quote:

secretary of the Department of Agriculture, Dr Paul Grimes, has gone on unexpected leave after requesting an extraordinary Senate committee hearing in order to provide “highly pertinent” information about a long-running saga over changes to the official Hansard record of answers given by his minister, Barnaby Joyce.

[...]

Guardian Australia revealed the full text of a letter sent by Grimes to the committee chair, Senator Bill Heffernan, on 2 March in which Grimes said he had “highly pertinent” information about freedom of information requests by Fitzgibbon for information and documents relating to the process of changing the Hansard. He said the information related to documents not provided as a result of those requests.

But when the committee reconvened last Wednesday as a direct result of Grimes’s request – with a much larger turnout of Coalition senators than normal – Grimes did not provide significant new evidence. Some of the committee’s questions were taken on notice, meaning written answers will be provided by mid-April. Grimes then went on unexpected leave on Friday, with staff given no date for his return to work.

Guardian Australia asked the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet whether there had been any contact with Grimes after he wrote the 2 March letter. A spokesperson for the department replied that “the department has had a number of contacts with Dr Grimes” and clarified that those contacts were after 2 March.

Fitzgibbon called on Tony Abbott to explain why his department was calling Grimes.

“The parliament and the community deserve reassurance that the Prime Minister’s Department was not attempting to influence Dr Grime’s testimony before the committee,” Fitzgibbon said.
[...]

A spokesman for Joyce said on Monday that “personal leave arrangements are not the minister’s business. They are not the journos’ either. The minister has a strong working relationship with his department”.

The Department of Agriculture said that “the secretary, Paul Grimes, is currently on leave. The department does not comment on an individual’s leave arrangements”. Grimes declined to comment.
:confuoot:

PM's department contacted Paul Grimes 'a number of times' over Barnaby Joyce's Hansard

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Here's the (cache of the) blog from the teenage radical: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=au

What's interesting is the logical fault present: he's an eloquent writer and places great stock in logic, yet while proclaiming that the people are oppressed and governments kill innocents, he never actually justifies or reconciles this with his own slaughter of innocents. "Society is corrupt because people believe they are free when the government only allows them the illusion of this and often kills innocents" is a hilarious logical disconnect from "I must kill innocents". It's almost as if he's mentally ill :aaaaa:

Also, got some real fuckin Alex Jones vibes from that poo poo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Murodese posted:

Not really. Local caching works fine under HTTP2.0 and CDNs come off better due to request multiplexing. Server-side caching works fine too, because the data is generated prior to transport-level encryption.

e; also, very little data is transparently cacheable these days anyway

I probably wasn't very clear: HTTP2.0 is going to be the new standard under HTTPS, being driven by firefox and Chrome. It's HTTPS that's becoming an increasing problem for shared caches, not a single client-to-browser cache. I was reading this from the guy who makes HAProxy, so I assumed there's some truth to it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

SMH posted:

Vietnamese boats 'unseaworthy', government sources say

The fleet of brightly coloured wooden Vietnamese fishing boats that the Australian government will use to turn back asylum seekers are unseaworthy and ethically wrong to use, marine sources in Darwin say.

A government official and a local fisher say they were shocked at the building standards of the 20-metre green, blue and red fishing boats that will replace the garish orange lifeboats that were deemed "unsinkable".

"The first boat the shipyard launched sunk, and it had to be retrieved with a crane," the government worker said.

"The materials are a really poor quality as well as the craftsmanship. They are completely unsafe and not a passenger boat.

"My gut feeling was that it wasn't ethical or moral to put people on these boats. You wouldn't do it to Australian citizens."

Shipbuilders working in Darwin also felt uncomfortable at the idea of sending asylum seekers back in the boats that have no marine safety standards, the government worker said. This includes the stability of the boats, their structural integrity and whether they could handle rough conditions in open seas.

According to the website of Dragon Industries Asia the company was given "exceptionally tight deadlines" by the Customs and Border Protection department to deliver 10 boats on a barge to Darwin. The website says it was a "multi-million dollar project".

"This project was delivered to exceptionally tight deadlines, with final delivery of all vessels within 18 weeks of project inauguration," it says.

A commercial fisher in Darwin, who asked not to be named, said people who arrived at the Darwin marina where the 10 boats are being stored often laughed at the sight of the fleet and asked whether it was a joke.

"I tell you what, they are a piece of rubbish. I said, what is this piece of bloody rubbish?" the fisher said.

The fisher estimated the cost of keeping the boats at Spot On Marine was costing the government at least $10,000 a month.

"They just sit there and it is wasting money. They won't sink [but] they have no safety."

Fairfax Media understands the 10 boats will replace the garish orange lifeboats that can only be used once and cost the government $7.5 million last year.

A spokeswoman from the Chinese company that sells the orange lifeboats, Jiangyinshi Beihai, confirmed the Australian government has not placed any additional orders.

"We didn't receive any inquiry from Australian government," the spokeswoman wrote in an email.

In January, the commander of Operation Sovereign Borders, Lieutenant General Angus Campbell revealed that 15 boats seekers had been turned back since the Coalition came into power on September 2013.

A spokesman from the Customs Department said: "Customs and Border Protection uses a variety of vessels to prepare for and perform its maritime tasks."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/vietnamese-boats-unseaworthy-government-sources-say-20150311-1411bi.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"I tell you what, they are a piece of rubbish. I said, what is this piece of bloody rubbish?"

(spoiler: It's Australia)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
australia is like barely a law or two away from nazi germany

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon

blacksun posted:

Still proposing MelbGoon meet at the family friendly establishment, Revolver Upstairs.

seconded.

I DJ'd there the other Sunday night and I did so much K I don't remember getting home.

'straya

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Maybe people will stop risking their lives at sea if they face certain death at sea due to Australia's policies.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sinking is the best way to stop boats

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
the beatings will continue until morale improves

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

SynthOrange posted:

"I tell you what, they are a piece of rubbish. I said, what is this piece of bloody rubbish?"

Fair crack of the whip mate.

How far does a trebuchet launch people?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The ridiculious camoflage, that's so we can say it wasn't us, right?

Orkin Mang posted:

australia is like barely a law or two away from nazi germany
The only difference atm between australia and nazi germany is competence.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

i got banned posted:

I did so much K I don't remember getting home 2010-2014.

Fixed that to reflect my time living in the area.

I really do miss the KT-Revs crawl.

Chances are I've probably met you, too. Small world huh.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
If they really have to be sent back (they dont) just put them on a loving plane. Jetstar flights from Darwin to Indonesia are as cheap as $150 per person. I'm sure the government can find some bribe money foreign aid to make this palatable.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Murodese posted:

Here's the (cache of the) blog from the teenage radical: [url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HIgrSseZuYsJ:https://fromtheeyesofamuhajir.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/from-melbourne-to-ramadi-my-journey/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au[/url]

What's interesting is the logical fault present: he's an eloquent writer and places great stock in logic, yet while proclaiming that the people are oppressed and governments kill innocents, he never actually justifies or reconciles this with his own slaughter of innocents. "Society is corrupt because people believe they are free when the government only allows them the illusion of this and often kills innocents" is a hilarious logical disconnect from "I must kill innocents". It's almost as if he's mentally ill :aaaaa:

Definite mental illness. Perceived or adopted persecution complex is not a indicator of mental stability.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Murodese posted:

Here's the (cache of the) blog from the teenage radical: [url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HIgrSseZuYsJ:https://fromtheeyesofamuhajir.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/from-melbourne-to-ramadi-my-journey/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au[/url]

Radical leftist wants to right the wrongs of the world and joins Islamic State to do so. Yep definitely hosed in the head.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

katlington posted:

You know who else liked building roads :godwin:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You know who else liked building roads :godwin:

Chares of Lindos?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

katlington posted:

lol if you think nazi germany was competent.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Hey Graic, since I'm bored again, here's a quick guide on how to improve your posting and reduce the negativity you receive in response, all without changing a single opinion! I hope you take this as intended, as this is constructive criticism not an attack on you as a person.

1) Don't make statements you can't substantiate. You've used phrases that make an implication without providing any evidence. For example when you described Sarah Hanson Young as "crying crocodile tears", you didn't provide evidence to support this by showing SHY not giving a single poo poo about asylum seekers through her previous words or actions. Making such statements without supporting evidence isn't good argument technique and you should try to avoid it.

2) Use less loaded language. Try to describe things in a way that doesn't have your own emotions involved. You may have judgements about people or organisations but those don't actually come into a discussion about facts. As I covered in an earlier post you could have said something along the lines of "The ABC, who have a strong interest in, and history of, reporting asylum seeker returns to Indonesia haven't posted any reports of return boats making landfall." rather than "ABC reporters are no longer pawing the hulls of looted orange lifeboats on Indonesian beaches." One of these is loaded with implicit judgement and doesn't make your case well, the other explains your reasoning.

3) Don't apply state of mind or personal judgement to other posters. You can read posts and make assumptions about the state of the person making that post, however that's all that is, an assumption. You know nothing about the people you are interacting with beyond the context of the words on the screen. So when you either insult them by implying they're bad at their job, or by describing their assumed state of mind they, fairly understandably, find this annoying. This doesn't add anything to a discussion and is playing the man not the ball. This also applies to not making assumptions that others are not engaging in good faith with you.

If you try to take the above on board you will be told less to kill yourself and will look less like you're here to intentionally wind people up and more to have a discussion about an issue in Australian Politics. People might think I'm an idiot for engaging in good faith but whatever... maybe I am.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

thatbastardken posted:

Nazi Germany would have been the funniest nation state in world history if it wasn't for the whole WW2 and Holocaust thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte

Start here and work your way down. Hours of laughs to be had for all the family.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
By allowing foreigners in you're encouraging degenerate forms of art to take root in our culture.

Disgusting.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

If they really have to be sent back (they dont) just put them on a loving plane. Jetstar flights from Darwin to Indonesia are as cheap as $150 per person. I'm sure the government can find some bribe money foreign aid to make this palatable.

Won't work unless you excise Darwin from the Australian migration zone to stop the refugees from claiming asylum before they board and Indonesia won't accept them and stick them on the return flight.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

i got banned posted:

seconded.

I DJ'd there the other Sunday night and I did so much K I don't remember getting home.

'straya

I'm playing Sunday afternoon this week 3 - 5. Come and forget about what a poo poo country Australia is by consuming copious amount of (il)legal substances.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Buy a seaplane then and ferry them that way. Save some money and give the kids a fun and memorable ride prior to washing your hands of them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

Won't work unless you excise Darwin from the Australian migration zone to stop the refugees from claiming asylum before they board and Indonesia won't accept them and stick them on the return flight.

All of Australia is already excised from the Australian migration zone isn't it?

Also I may have come up with a way to deal with refugee issues AND solve quantas' financial issues at the same time. Pingpong them back and forth between Australia and Indonesia. We don't comment on on Airline matters.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

hooman posted:

All of Australia is already excised from the Australian migration zone isn't it?

Yes

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hooman posted:

Also I may have come up with a way to deal with refugee issues AND solve quantas' financial issues at the same time. Pingpong them back and forth between Australia and Indonesia. We don't comment on on Airline matters.

So it is. :suicide:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

hiddenmovement posted:

Buy a seaplane then and ferry them that way. Save some money and give the kids a fun and memorable ride prior to washing your hands of them.

Stop the flying boats!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The government that campaigned on stop boats make jobs is building boats for asylum seekers with a foreign company using foreign wait that can't be right.

thatbastardken posted:

More so than australia currently is at murdering people.:rolleyes:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 12, 2015

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

By allowing foreigners in you're encouraging degenerate forms of art to take root in our culture.

Disgusting.

I thought it was p funny

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

thatfatkid posted:

Radical leftist wants to right the wrongs of the world and joins Islamic State to do so. Yep definitely hosed in the head.

Honestly this might be a troll but you're being willfully ignorant if you just straight up rule this out. Reading his writings he comes across as every other diaffected youth, writing explicitly about the death of democracy due to western interventionism. You can argue until you're blue in the face that because he then went and tried to kill people (or "kill yourself" as it were) he doesn't count but that's being horribly simplistic.

Apologists will argue that he is an illustration of western radicalisation, those using him as a crux will point to the "brainwashing of the death cult" when you can tell by his writings he wasn't radicalised by Islamic State but rather through viewing western hegemony as a disease and considered several other groups before it.

At the end of it he could have been in another life a poster on these forums, and that kind of scares me.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

i got banned posted:

seconded.

'straya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmazTEI_3fE

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Most tellingly of all he, even after his radicalisation, repeats his belief in atheism as he tries to understand his own disbelief in a deity with subscribing to Islam. He is not an Islamic as much as he saw himself as fighting injustice. A wannabe Che Guevera by any other name.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

*an essay of pensive farts erupts from my anus*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

katlington posted:

*an essay of pensive farts erupts from my anus*

Suicide bombers just crawling out of the auspol woodwork these days

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

A cookbook which promotes a restrictive diet for babies and toddlers has been described as potentially deadly, prompting publishers to delay its launch.

The Bubba Yum Yum cookbook, authored by celebrity chef Pete Evans, blogger Charlotte Carr and naturopath Helen Padarin is marketed as “a treasure trove of nutritional information and nourishing paleo recipes that are guaranteed to put you and your little one on the path to optimum health”.

But Heather Yeatman, president of the Public Health Association of Australia, said a recipe for DIY baby milk formula, made from liver and bone broth, contained 10 times the maximum safe daily intake of vitamin A for babies.

“In my view, there’s a very real possibility that a baby may die if this book goes ahead,” Yeatman told the Women’s Weekly.

“Especially if [the DIY formula] was the only food a parent was feeding their infant, it’s a very real risk. And [I consider that] the baby’s growth and development could be impaired.”

Yeatman told Guardian Australia it was also important that mothers received the best advice when it came to feeding their babies.

“The World Health Organisation and the [federal] Department of Health support breast feeding for at least the first six months of life, and for those who can’t breastfeed, then [commercial] infant formulas have been designed based on research and evidence as an appropriate alternative,” she said.

“If you go past this advice it’s potentially dangerous, and we need to support new mums in getting good advice for their child during this critical first six months of their life.”

The paleo diet was not consistent with Australian dietary guidelines for adults or children, she said.

All of the recipes in the book exclude gluten and dairy, with paleo diet proponents shunning any foods not also eaten by the early ancestors of humans, such as grains and processed foods.

The book was set to be launched on Friday but on Thursday its publisher, Pan MacMillan, announced its release was being delayed.

“Pan Macmillan Australia advises the publication of Bubba Yum Yum: The Paleo Way has been delayed and not recalled, as incorrectly stated by Australian Women’s Weekly,” a spokeswoman said.

“The publisher will be making no further comment at this time.”

A spokeswoman for the federal health department said the government had concerns about the inadequate nutritional value of some of the recipes, “in particular the infant formula”. The department was consulting with experts and was continuing to investigate the book, she said.

Guardian Australia has contacted the book’s authors for comment.

Tim Gill, professor of public health and nutrition with the University of Sydney’s Boden Institute of Obesity, said banning major food groups from a diet, especially a child’s diet, was “not logical”. He said he would not recommend parents base their infant or toddler’s diet entirely on paleo.

“One of the most important things about a child’s diet is getting them to experience as many different tastes, textures and components of food as possible,” Gill said. “It is important to set children up to accept a range of foods, and a restrictive diet is counterproductive to that.

“So while I would be concerned that kids aren’t getting all the right nutrients from this diet, I’m equally concerned about them not being exposed to food as an important and enjoyable component of life.”

The only foods that should be restricted for children were those that were highly processed and laden with sugar, he said.

Renowned nutritionist, Dr Rosemary Stanton, said she had come across many parents over the years who had placed their children on extreme diets.

While adults could adapt to the paleo diet and increase their fruit and vegetable intake to meet their nutrient needs, children were unable to consume the volume of produce required to make up for those nutrients lost from eliminated food-groups.

“Rice milk and oat milk that have calcium added to them are fine for adults, but don’t have the right concentration of protein for children,” she said. “Soy is banned under the paleo diet, so soy-milk is out. Almond milk is mostly water.

“The adult body is resilient to these diets, but a child’s body is not and they may have some difficulty adapting, and in fact, may be preventing from growing properly.”

There was increasing evidence that the type of bacteria found in the gut contributed to overall health and wellbeing, with imbalances in this bacteria leading to various diseases, Stanton said.

“It turns out you get a whole lot of really nice, beneficial bacteria from whole grains and yoghurt, which are not eaten by those following the paleo diet,” she said.

“It’s really not a good diet for your future health, and it’s not the diet our ancestors ate anyway, despite what its followers claim.”

LOLPALEO
LOLALMONDMILK

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

katlington posted:

The ridiculious camoflage, that's so we can say it wasn't us, right?

oh, definitely. very right on. the tone of our discourse is quite himmlerian. another liberal government, god knows what will happen. not to triviliase our prosition but perhaps we are at risk of a clivestallnach or 'night of long clives'?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Paleolithic skeletons indicated a life expectancy of 35.4 years for men and 30.0 years for women

A good diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

To be a true paleo, one is only allowed to cook ones food using campfire wood harvested from nearby downed trees. Eating the flesh of your defeated foe raw is also acceptable

• Locked thread