Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Quake didn't and doesn't have BGM.

Explosions, Nailguns being fired, and cool enemy sounds are BGM to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

closeted republican posted:

I felt that Emergence tried to ape HL2 too much as well. The worst part was no one-liners from Blade because they wanted to make him like Gordon Freeman for some reason. I picked up mods that inserted some of Blade's lines from the original game into conversations and added Blade's old one-liners back that made Emergence so much better.

Interceptor was interested in making an HD version of Sin, but htat was canceled. The GoG release of Sin is meant to gauge future interest in the series and had some of the old Ritual guys supporting it.

I remember looking up SiN back when Ritual just got bought by MumboJumbo. One of the concept artists for the game (either Richard Luong, or Wesley Burt) had done a bunch of art for Emergence and later episodes. Since his art was pretty Lovecrftian, he had loads of fleshy monster designs.

One example of this was a large weird creature which converted humans into monsters, through its vagina of sorts. It was hard to tell how it did it. Another interesting concept were the cultists that were going to show up in later episodes as enemies and turn themselves into creatures to fight you. Elexis also tried the monster transformation at one point too, though I can't remember much about her design except long nails.

I may be misremembering this whole thing, but I specifically remember something about cultists, something which showed up in Wages of Sin.

catlord posted:

I'm thinking of restarting SiN using the expansion, since I discovered only after playing a decent chunk of the game that you could do that. I still think the game feels slightly off, though I really want to like it a lot. I think this for a lot of older games, but a source port would be really cool. Smooth out some of the rough edges, have widescreen that works 100%... I think it's one of those games that could really get a second life if it got a really good chance.

Patches and source ports that add stuff like proper widescreen make games way more enjoyable. I recently replayed Daikatana with the 1.3 patch that adds things like support for modern resoluations, and the game is much better when the graphics aren't either cloudy and muddy crap (fullscreen) or too small to fit over your screen (windowed) because of no widescreen support.

I've been replying Sin as well (though stopped because of issues with my gaming PC ATM), and I really would love to play it in widescreen because of how irritating the game can look in non-widescreen at times.

The SiN 110 version source code is already online, but it's mostly just a useless, jumbled collection of history unless you really want to know how things work in the game.

http://ritualistic.chrissstrahl.de/downloads/SIN/utillity/

I'd love to mess with it when I'm unemployed with load of time to kill. Even then, there's no way of knowing if this is even the right source code for the Gog version and even then, there might be need to get the right libraries and toolsets needed to actually trying to compile it.

It's worth a look for some of the comment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol forgot about that ad campaign.

Good game though. Having never played Sin before emergence i was pissed I only ever got one episode. Really showed how lovely that idea was for major games.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone else having terrible stuttering with eduke32 recently? I have an Nvidia card and since about a year ago it's been practical unplayable.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

I remember looking up SiN back when Ritual just got bought by MumboJumbo. One of the concept artists for the game (either Richard Luong, or Wesley Burt) had done a bunch of art for Emergence and later episodes. Since his art was pretty Lovecrftian, he had loads of fleshy monster designs.

One example of this was a large weird creature which converted humans into monsters, through its vagina of sorts. It was hard to tell how it did it. Another interesting concept were the cultists that were going to show up in later episodes as enemies and turn themselves into creatures to fight you. Elexis also tried the monster transformation at one point too, though I can't remember much about her design except long nails.

I may be misremembering this whole thing, but I specifically remember something about cultists, something which showed up in Wages of Sin.

The SiN 110 version source code is already online, but it's mostly just a useless, jumbled collection of history unless you really want to know how things work in the game.

http://ritualistic.chrissstrahl.de/downloads/SIN/utillity/

I'd love to mess with it when I'm unemployed with load of time to kill. Even then, there's no way of knowing if this is even the right source code for the Gog version and even then, there might be need to get the right libraries and toolsets needed to actually trying to compile it.

It's worth a look for some of the comment.

Very interesting about the later episodes. It seems to me they wanted more enemy diversity, ala SiN 1, later on in the series instead of it being soldiers with a sprinkle of monsters.

I'm looking at the source, and yeah it's mostly useless. I don't see code for several things in the game, like code for the generic grunt, scientist, and scuba diver enemies along with missing SMG code.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 12, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

Anyone else having terrible stuttering with eduke32 recently? I have an Nvidia card and since about a year ago it's been practical unplayable.
Yeah, me too. Had to drop down from that polymer renderer to polymost to get it to run again. Or vice versa. Whatever is the max to next best lol

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Convex posted:

Mine was loving awful until I updated to the very latest build.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Quake's sound effects are so good you wouldn't really want lovely buttrock to drown it out anyway.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Quake 64's soundtrack was made with Quake sounds for instruments for a reason.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The guy that did the music for Quake 64 is the same dude that did Doom 64 and, I think, PSX Doom. Aubrey Hodges is his name. Those soundtracks are all brilliant.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There was a mod made for fitzquake where one of the songs was just in game sound effects. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Can't find it :(

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Very interesting about the later episodes. It seems to me they wanted more enemy diversity, ala SiN 1, later on in the series instead of it being soldiers with a sprinkle of monsters.

I'm looking at the source, and yeah it's mostly useless. I don't see code for several things in the game, like code for the generic grunt, scientist, and scuba diver enemies along with missing SMG code.

Update: Just spoke with Richard Luong and he linked me the concept art he did for Emergence:

Pretty much confirms the plan to include the Sinclair cult from WOS in later episodes.

Another one hinting towards a planned boss fight with Sinclair Sr. (again)

Boss fight with Radik, which we unfortunately never got.

Blade's HardCoros getting the anime Combine treatment.

Some character art. Some of these ended up replacing the censored textures in Steam SiN1.

Some environments and items.

Luong also did texture work for the game.

Regardomg the source code, I think the code for those are either hidden in some other header or source file or that they're in script files.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Totally wanna play Emergence again now...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I liked it to be honest. Was bummed that they never finished the game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

Yeah, me too. Had to drop down from that polymer renderer to polymost to get it to run again. Or vice versa. Whatever is the max to next best lol

Elliotw2 posted:

Mine was loving awful until I updated to the very latest build.

Thanks, glad it's not something wrong with my PC I guess.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Convex posted:

Thanks, glad it's not something wrong with my PC I guess.

Happens to me too when I use Vsync, but if I don't then tearing, tearing everywhere.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Aww man, that concept art is cool. Shame that Emergence died after Episode 1.

At least we still have SiN 1 to replay.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Polymer on eduke32 is just awful and ugly. It's not a vanilla or bust comment, that poo poo eats resources like crazy and doesn't really enhance the game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Polymer on eduke32 is just awful and ugly. It's not a vanilla or bust comment, that poo poo eats resources like crazy and doesn't really enhance the game.

I've never used any of the enhanced renderers in eDuke32. They eat up resources like crazy and I don't like how they improve the graphics.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
It's too bad that the Megaton Edition engine of Duke3D is not so friendly with mods & TCs. It's my go-to way to play Duke right now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Commander Keenan posted:

It's too bad that the Megaton Edition engine of Duke3D is not so friendly with mods & TCs. It's my go-to way to play Duke right now.

Sadly I get the exact same stuttering problem with that as well :( maybe an underlying Nvidia driver issue or something, who knows

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 12, 2015

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Commander Keenan posted:

On that note, what are some good mods and TCs for Duke?

My favorite one I've found so far has been Attrition which adds almost an RPG system. As you kill stuff your weapons level up, gaining new bonuses each time.

So for example pipe bombs start out as regular, but soon become flash bangs that stun aliens, then burst into mini-cluster bombs , then set aliens on fire, then the cluster bombs become homing, etc.

It really becomes ridiculous since the enemies level up along with you and gain new abilities like speed and shields. This soon leads to the main issue with the mod, which is balance, where unless you have been focusing on certain weapons, enemies just become too strong to kill reliably. Still a blast to play though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Commander Keenan posted:

I have an old eduke32 without polymer that I use for that and works a charm. For vanilla gameplay megaton is pretty nice.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Emergence was pretty good for what it was, however the only thing I remember about the game is the developer having a meltdown about piracy.

edit: I did bought the game legally, still blaming commercial failure on piracy, even if true, feel cheap.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

Emergence was pretty good for what it was, however the only thing I remember about the game is the developer having a meltdown about piracy.

edit: I did bought the game legally, still blaming commercial failure on piracy, even if true, feel cheap.

Piracy is an excuse. Blezsinski did it when Gears of War on PC tanked, despite the game having serious bugs on release that chased away buyers. Same thing happened with UT3.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Vakal posted:

laserghost posted:

Duke Hard was recently released: http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-hard
Roch map series, those are huge and very detailed: http://dukerepository.com/maps/Roch
Then there's Platoon from TeamTNT: http://www.moddb.com/mods/platoon-tc
Ageo of Evil is a decent two-episode leveset from goon superstar, Yahtzee: http://www.moddb.com/mods/age-of-evil/downloads/age-of-evil-e1-2
Mystique: Ages in Time is a pretty hard fantasy levelset: http://dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/reviews-mod-duke3d/mystique-ages-in-time.html
WGRealms2 is a stand-alone mashup megamod, hard as hell but some levels are impressive: http://www.moddb.com/games/wgrealms-2
Same goes for Duke Nukem Forever 2013: http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-forever

E: phoneposting

laserghost fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 12, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Segmentation Fault posted:

Piracy is an excuse. Blezsinski did it when Gears of War on PC tanked, despite the game having serious bugs on release that chased away buyers. Same thing happened with UT3.

Wasn't there some gate at the beginning that would never open if the game was pirated in Emergence? That stuff is hilarious.

I remember someone (one goon was a dev I think?) bugging out when other goons figured out how to cheat their way into one of the secret levels too. Good times. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ugh, I used to have a MOD song that used Quake 1 sound effects, most notably the pipe bomb bounce sound, to make some lovely 90s techno. I really wanted to link it and listen to it again, but I can't find it for the life of me :smith:

Of course googling "Quake MOD" does nothing since there's so many mods.

If any of you know what I'm talking about I would be eternally grateful.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 12, 2015

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wasn't it quadsong? It's based on Q3 sounds, though.

https://youtu.be/G98RsxjbloY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

laserghost posted:

Wasn't it quadsong? It's based on Q3 sounds, though.

https://youtu.be/G98RsxjbloY

Nah it was definitely quake 1 sounds. The quake 1 pipebomb was like, the lead vocals.

And it didn't have dragula in it :cheeky: Nor the quakeworld "lets get on with the killing" sample. (Although that does take me back)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I vaguely remember a music module using Quake sound effects, yeah. As I recall it starts off with the wind gust noises that the game's teleporters typically make, right? Might still have it - on another computer than the one I'm currently using, but nevertheless...

EDIT: A cursory look through the Mod Archive brought up this and whatever the hell this is supposed to be. Neither of which were what I was thinking of (guess it was actually an MP3), although the first is definitely using Quake sounds.

It is kind of annoying that "Quake" only means "Quake 3", if you go by search engines.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 12, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Quake mod I was looking for is called Travail. Track 2 from the soundtrack.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1wXwqEtpDRM

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shadow Hog posted:

and whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

This one wonderful, the extreme :black101: of Quake/Doom clans of the era, in one simple, cheesy metal song.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

Sadly I get the exact same stuttering problem with that as well :( maybe an underlying Nvidia driver issue or something, who knows
Nah, i have ati so whatever it is is built in suckage.

What secret level in emergence?

site fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 12, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

laserghost posted:

This one wonderful, the extreme :black101: of Quake/Doom clans of the era, in one simple, cheesy metal song.
It's the rather nasal guy trying to sound all cool by asserting that "This is Quake!" that does it for me. Everything up to that point seems to be ripped from somewhere or another (including, curiously for a song asserting it's Quake, the Doom death sound), so the fact that one was clearly done by the module maker using his home PC's microphone stands out all the more.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Vakal posted:

As well as the ones listed by laserghost, there's also the AMC TC which I worked on (well ok did like 75% of the work on) which episode 2 will be ready in the next couple of weeks. It's standalone so you don't need a Duke install to run it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Quake's sound effects are so good you wouldn't really want lovely buttrock to drown it out anyway.

Tribes 2 music works quite well with Quake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

I vaguely remember a music module using Quake sound effects, yeah. As I recall it starts off with the wind gust noises that the game's teleporters typically make, right? Might still have it - on another computer than the one I'm currently using, but nevertheless...

EDIT: A cursory look through the Mod Archive brought up this and whatever the hell this is supposed to be. Neither of which were what I was thinking of (guess it was actually an MP3), although the first is definitely using Quake sounds.

It is kind of annoying that "Quake" only means "Quake 3", if you go by search engines.

Teleporter sound at the beginning sounds right, although I'm not sure.

Yeah I looked through the mod archive but nothing with "quake" in it was the right song. :smith:

Yeah google keeps showing me quake 3 mods, not Quake 1 .MODs

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Jblade posted:

As well as the ones listed by laserghost, there's also the AMC TC which I worked on (well ok did like 75% of the work on) which episode 2 will be ready in the next couple of weeks. It's standalone so you don't need a Duke install to run it.

Good to hear the second portion is coming! I have to finally finish this beast of a mod. I remember getting lost in some kind of underground area, a mine maybe, fighting some bipedal mech-like enemies.
I know it's not the best place to do so, but have to admit one particular effect in AMC freaked me out, because how odd it is for Build3d. In one of the beginning levels, there's some kind of lab area, with various specimens inside. Touching one of them makes the textures in whole room go haywire for a moment. Incredible, I didn't knew such thing is even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

You're going to love the crazy poo poo we've done in episode 2 then because there's probably a bunch more things like that :v: Glad you've enjoyed the first release.