Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

katlington posted:

The ridiculious camoflage, that's so we can say it wasn't us, right?

The only difference atm between australia and nazi germany is competence.

That's patently false.

The Nazi party genuinely cared about Germany's future and wanted it to be strong and have a good economy. Clearly, this antithetical to the desire of the LNP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Cartoon, youve posted several times about the GST being a lovely tax. Would you care to elaborate please? I would like to read your thoughts on the subject.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Murodese posted:

What's interesting is the logical fault present: he's an eloquent writer and places great stock in logic, yet while proclaiming that the people are oppressed and governments kill innocents, he never actually justifies or reconciles this with his own slaughter of innocents. "Society is corrupt because people believe they are free when the government only allows them the illusion of this and often kills innocents" is a hilarious logical disconnect from "I must kill innocents". It's almost as if he's mentally ill :aaaaa:

Wisdom Suppository posted:

Definite mental illness. Perceived or adopted persecution complex is not a indicator of mental stability.
Nice going there with your stigmatisation of mental illness. Person does X that I do not understand and has poor reasoning by my own exacting standards of logic, therefore they must be mentally ill (Because poor reasoning is incredibly rare, as we all know). The implication that gets hammered home by such reasoning is that mentally ill people are dangerous.

There are Australians who seriously believe that asylum seekers are illegal immigrants and should be shot to keep them away. That doesn't make them mentally ill. This thread is full of people who tell others to go kill themselves for disagreements ranging from large to petty, but if the people here are mentally ill it is definitely not the cause of that behaviour.

It is absolutely lazy to disregard this kind of thing as mental illness. It not help in the slightest, because you are not even considering the positions these people start out from and thereby not treating the problems (Disenfranchisement, persecution, etc) that cause radicalisation of these people.

Not only that, but you work further to stigmatise mental illness because you are synonymizing it with it "dangerous people who should be feared" thus preventing people with mental illnesses from seeking help from fear of the stigma. It is also a step towards bringing back the reasoning we managed to, at long last, ditch regarding the mentally ill: "Why should we help people who are dangerous? Why don't we just lock them up where they can't harm us?"

It is lazy thought I would expect from members of the liberal party, not alleged greens.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Day 4 #HockeyFairfax recap:

McClintock cross-examines SMH ed in chief Goodsir. Still trying to get an admission of calling Hockey corrupt. Doesn't get anywhere with it. Goodsir adamant that Hockey's reaction to the earlier story was an overreaction. McClintock then tries various tacks about Fairfax attitudes to Hockey's reaction to that earlier story. So none of this concerns the actual story Hockey ACTUALLY sued over.

McClintock's strategy is now clearer: he's trying to establish a pattern of behaviour that suggests the story sued over was itself a reaction. That tells me immediately that the suit is doubtful, if he doesn't have a strong enough case for the story itself. And worse, it makes clear that the jibes of the last couple of days are intended to suggest Fairfax have a cultural problem, which smacks of point-scoring and probably won't impress the judge.

McClintock again makes reference to our tweeter @MWhitbourn and @Kate_McClintock (no relation!), possibly because they cover ICAC and this is part of the "cultural problem" strategy, but as yet it's unclear. McClintock continues to niggle at Goodsir about the apology wanted in various Fairfax papers and it's clear that he wants to characterise the organizational effort to present a united picture as a management failure as well. He continues to apparently waste time on imputing malice to various things Goodsir said/emailed, it's a wearying read even from tweets. Then he goes back to trying to get a corruption admission from Goodsir, which is also a waste of time, but openly charges that the Treasurer For Sale story (the one that is actually the point of the case) was an accusation of corruption and again ties it to the earlier story.

McClintock takes a different tack: that a story published about Bill Shorten could compare favourably with the Hockey story, not much in it. But then McClintock tries to attach the ICAC investigation to the story because Obeid was linked via a donor. Talk about trying to get several wins in one. And after all that, it was time for lunch.

After lunch, McClintock has a whinge about the articles remaining on some Fairfax websites and then it's Aged ed Andrew Holden's turn. We're still on the tack that the Treasurer For Sale was an attack in revenge for having to correct the earlier story. Again, this makes clear how weak the case is. But possibly they think they'd win anyway and just want some extra goodies. Holden testifies that he agreed that Hockey was overreacting to the earlier article. This is a good strategy for the defence because it increasingly looks like Hockey was looking for a reason to sue! McClintock repeats the same series of allegations to Holden that he did to Goodsir, with the same result of nothing.

And then it was the Canberra Times page ed Mark Uhlmann (hmm, related to Chris?). Similar questions but nothing of interest to report and of no use to McClintock. Then it was Age print ed Mark Fuller, who was responsible for the Treasurer For Sale headline. Not much in his testimony either. Deputy SMH ed Ben Cubby is called, but McClintock lets his junior Chrysanthou question him. The line of questioning is about the resources used on the story and again tries to link ICAC to it. They are persistent about it, trying to get Cubby to agree that the mention of ICAC in the story is "unfair" to the Treasurer. This is an interesting tactic to get a junior to ask such questions, but it's not a great success. She ends up even accusing Cubby of giving false evidence and of saying anything that would help Fairfax. And with that, there are no more witnesses and no more cross-examination. Summing-up is on Monday.

I'm of the opinion that while defamation cases usually have the onus on the defence to prove no defamation, the prosecution equally doesn't get a free ride, and it appears that they're taking the free ride for granted and trying to damage Fairfax's reputation on top of it. I don't really think the defence can win by pointing this out, but I don't think the prosecution make the most of its opportunities either. If I was the judge I'd still say there's not much in it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Not cartoon but it's a disproportionate tax on the poor. Two people earning 20k and 200k have the same basic foundational costs of living for foods, services, etc but it's a higher proportion of the poor man's income.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Specifically it's a regressive tax.

quote:

In terms of individual income and wealth, a regressive tax imposes a greater burden (relative to resources) on the poor than on the rich — there is an inverse relationship between the tax rate and the taxpayer's ability to pay as measured by assets, consumption, or income. These taxes tend to reduce the tax incidence of people with higher ability-to-pay, as they shift the incidence disproportionately to those with lower ability-to-pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regressive_tax

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kat Delacour posted:

Not cartoon but it's a disproportionate tax on the poor. Two people earning 20k and 200k have the same basic foundational costs of living for foods, services, etc but it's a higher proportion of the poor man's income.

Funnily enough I first learnt about marginal utility in Sunday School when I was taught the story of the poor lady being ridiculed by the rich dudes for only donating a few coins to the synagogue.

Bloody lefty piece of poo poo Jesus and his hippie ideology. :argh:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Kim Jong ill posted:

I think it's actually you that hasn't ever heard of geography. Here's a map that I put together in about 10 minutes.

I think the legend is pretty self explanatory. So unless you think it's reasonable to expect most of the people in the Middle East or Asia fleeing persecution to do through a war zone, Iran (lol), Egypt (which is already flooded with refugees from Africa), or into a sea already full of dead people doing the same, the only option is to head south-east. Oh, would you look at that! The first country an asylum seeker will encounter that will actually guarantee their rights as a human being is Australia, funny how that works isn't it?

Edit - Oh and another nice side of the deterrent factor, anyone who's stuck in the middle and was considering going south east but now goes north west gets to join all the other asylum seekers drowning in the Mediterranean. Good job saving people's lives at sea (only the one within sight and mind of Australia!).

I only occasionally read this thread but I clicked on it today to see what it was talking about and landed on the page with this post and I just want to thank you for it because this map is amazing and I will definitely use it and the accompanying explanation when arguing with idiots in future.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pickled Tink posted:

Nice going there with your stigmatisation of mental illness. Person does X that I do not understand and has poor reasoning by my own exacting standards of logic, therefore they must be mentally ill (Because poor reasoning is incredibly rare, as we all know). The implication that gets hammered home by such reasoning is that mentally ill people are dangerous.

There are Australians who seriously believe that asylum seekers are illegal immigrants and should be shot to keep them away. That doesn't make them mentally ill. This thread is full of people who tell others to go kill themselves for disagreements ranging from large to petty, but if the people here are mentally ill it is definitely not the cause of that behaviour.

It is absolutely lazy to disregard this kind of thing as mental illness. It not help in the slightest, because you are not even considering the positions these people start out from and thereby not treating the problems (Disenfranchisement, persecution, etc) that cause radicalisation of these people.

Not only that, but you work further to stigmatise mental illness because you are synonymizing it with it "dangerous people who should be feared" thus preventing people with mental illnesses from seeking help from fear of the stigma. It is also a step towards bringing back the reasoning we managed to, at long last, ditch regarding the mentally ill: "Why should we help people who are dangerous? Why don't we just lock them up where they can't harm us?"

It is lazy thought I would expect from members of the liberal party, not alleged greens.

lol

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

If I watched Sunrise every morning I'd also be comfortable with death

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cpaf posted:

If I watched Sunrise every morning I'd also be comfortable with death

im like u, i watch very sophisticated stuff all the time, im awesome

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Yes, but doesn't the GST have different rates for things like basic foodstuffs and higher rates for luxury items? I get the burden on the poors thing I was more interested in the broader implications on the economy for monkeying with the GST to make up for shortfalls in government revenue, what the best alternative to the GST is, hwo one would go about unwinding the problems caused by a GST, etc etc.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hiddenmovement posted:

Cartoon, youve posted several times about the GST being a lovely tax. Would you care to elaborate please? I would like to read your thoughts on the subject.

A lovely tax that destroyed Australia's chances of having two flourishing minor parties. (Greens + Democrats) I can't believe putting the GST on ALL INTERNET PURCHASES and raising it are both on the table.

You might as well let us withdraw from our super account too.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I'm quite sure you can easily get around the 10% GST on internet purchases just by using a freight forwarder and a paypal account

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hiddenmovement posted:

Yes, but doesn't the GST have different rates for things like basic foodstuffs and higher rates for luxury items? I get the burden on the poors thing I was more interested in the broader implications on the economy for monkeying with the GST to make up for shortfalls in government revenue, what the best alternative to the GST is, hwo one would go about unwinding the problems caused by a GST, etc etc.

It's got rates of 10% (for most stuff) and 0% (for some "essentials").

It was partly designed as a replacement for a range of state sales taxes which had all sorts of rates and no clear pattern across the country. This also involved a gigantic centralisation of revenue raising, since instead of the states collecting their own taxes the Federal government would before redistributing them. This is why changing it requires a lot of negotiation with the states.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tonight I will be heading to the Bracken Ridge Tavern to invite Malcolm Turnbull to the Something Lawful Politics Fanclub meetup.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

Tonight I will be heading to the Bracken Ridge Tavern to invite Malcolm Turnbull to the Something Lawful Politics Fanclub meetup.

When is it? Far enough away that might be worthwhile attending.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

6. I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to ask him a question but I will try.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Lid posted:

Honestly this might be a troll but you're being willfully ignorant if you just straight up rule this out. Reading his writings he comes across as every other diaffected youth, writing explicitly about the death of democracy due to western interventionism. You can argue until you're blue in the face that because he then went and tried to kill people (or "kill yourself" as it were) he doesn't count but that's being horribly simplistic.

Apologists will argue that he is an illustration of western radicalisation, those using him as a crux will point to the "brainwashing of the death cult" when you can tell by his writings he wasn't radicalised by Islamic State but rather through viewing western hegemony as a disease and considered several other groups before it.

At the end of it he could have been in another life a poster on these forums, and that kind of scares me.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at by directing that towards me.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm hoping I won't get blocked by ALP Right fanboys who are attending and probably know my face.

I got a text message 3 weeks ago from a number I didn't recognise that just said

"Card Burner, Shame!"

Whatever, I'll grab a cheap beer and try my luck.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Anidav posted:

I'm hoping I won't get blocked by ALP Right fanboys who are attending and probably know my face.

I got a text message 3 weeks ago from a number I didn't recognise that just said

"Card Burner, Shame!"

Whatever, I'll grab a cheap beer and try my luck.

Please stop using this thread as your own personal blog.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How the gently caress do they even suppose they are going to tax every single international purchase made on the internet? Customs wont do it, its not worth it until its over a grand.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

thatfatkid posted:

haha yeah leave room for the valuable content such as

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

Nah let him. His avatar can be the new auspol, where every post will cost :10bux:.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

hiddenmovement posted:

It's basically a straight up regressive tax. Sure some "essential" stuff is excluded but as a glaring example of how it misses the point feminine hygiene products are not excluded. So if you're a lady of breeding age then you should be knocked up or dealing with being scammed.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I think condoms are excluded. Gold and silver are also obvs excluded.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Being regressive doesn't mean a tax is inherently unjustifiable though.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
For example, the poor deserve to suffer.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Being regressive doesn't mean a tax is inherently unjustifiable though.

Superannuation is a regressive tax.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
fwiw I enjoy your posting/adventures Anidav, keep at it bro

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

What, you guys think Australian Politics is a better thing to talk about? Lighten up! We already know the result of the NSW election and a Leadership Spill won't happen for another few months. We're in chill mode/Posting about Asylum Seeker horror articles/Pope Posting.

Sorry if it's annoying but would you rather I post about...Job hunting again? Come on, I'm trying to be funny and that's surely better than reading my sob story on youth being hosed.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Pickled Tink posted:

Sorry, are you trying to argue that psychopathy is not a form of mental illness? I mean, sweet strawman, but if you think that somebody saying "extremists are mentally ill" means they mean "mentally ill people are extremist", you're suffering from lazier thinking than you're accusing others of.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SadisTech posted:

haha yeah leave room for the valuable content such as

im drunk bro

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ewe2,thank you for the updates.

What do you think the end result will be?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Orkin Mang posted:

im drunk bro

But can you taste the difference between VB and XXXX?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

But can you taste the difference between VB and XXXX?

theres this new cheap white in st kilda--and stark maybe aus wide brother!--that is 4 dollars not 6 like those pompopus clean skins.

xxxx is better than vb btw

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
XXXX bitter is the best mainstream beer and i will fight anyone irl who disagrees.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I dunno, regressive taxes incentivise the poors to stop being poor.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thatfatkid posted:

XXXX bitter is the best mainstream beer and i will fight anyone irl who disagrees.

i agree u fat piece of poo poo, shamblord pos, i tried it not long ago and its decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Murodese posted:

Sorry, are you trying to argue that psychopathy is not a form of mental illness? I mean, sweet strawman, but if you think that somebody saying "extremists are mentally ill" means they mean "mentally ill people are extremist", you're suffering from lazier thinking than you're accusing others of.
I didn't argue anything of the sort. What I was saying is that simply pointing at a person who is violent or engages in behaviour you can't understand and labelling them mentally ill stigmatises mental illness, which is bad. That is all I said.

Please try to read in future instead of reacting as though any criticism is a personal attack. I know this is Auspol, but sheesh.

• Locked thread