Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Space Hamlet posted:

Alright, this basketball court miniboss went by easy the first time but after taking a break and starting the level over he's giving me a world of trouble - can't seem to get away when he charges. Hints please

When he rushes you try to go past him in the opposite direction, he'll over shoot your position. He's faster than you, so you can't just run the opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

SkyEnzo posted:

Im Australian, you know, the country that bloody banned the game?

Devs told us to pirate it but I wish I didnt have to. I like supporting devs that entertain me and my personal opinion in pirating games is a dirty one. Each to their own of course but I just cant bring myself to do it.

I guess this time round I have to bite the bullet and 'steal' the game.

Really is a shame too. These devs really deserve my money unlike most games Ive purchased.

As I said in my last post in this thread, it is possible to buy this from Gamersgate as an Australian. I was able to do so while it was up for pre-order, so unless they have changed it and put a geo-lock in place since then, you should be able to purchase it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Anatharon posted:

New game.

I guess, I just feel like promoting it as having more plot then cutting it off so much is a jab at people who were interested in the story more then the gameplay. Though I didn't mean JUST the fans portion was like that.

As much as I personally dislike the ending I really respect how thematically appropriate it is.

story stuff

I think the devs cared a lot about the story. People complain about its ideosyncrities, but even as weak as it got at points I liked what they were at least trying to do. To be a hyperbolic prat, I'm going to claim that, right now in games, you see pretty much two kinds of stories whenever they're meant to be a selling point to a game, the AAA style where you have a completely rote plot with a thematic dressing thrown on it to act like its some grand allegory or message, and the indie style where you have a sort of mishmash of symbolism that resembles something evocative, airy metaphorical writing, and a complete lack of any real message so people can just make up whatever they think sounds cool when talking about it. I didn't really care for HL1's story since it was the latter style to a T, but HL2 they decided to nut up enough to actually try to present enough of a story that they had to actually rely on, well, actual writing ability. I think they did okay.

There's only a few things I think about the theme of the game, aside from the obvious things others have pointed out. There's a lot of stuff about taking on roles and honesty. The actor only acts when he's not in the role of a killer, and honesty about that is treated as abhorrent. The fans want to have the role of the masked killer but don't know what the role even is about, and really just want their moment of fame. Henchman wants out so he can be a family man or whatnot, but its not what he _really_ wants, and when it falls apart, he self destructs. The detective creates his own serial killer so he can act like a cowboy cop who doesn't follow the rules. Son follows obliviously in his dads footsteps. etc. Richard, to me, comes off not just as a portent of death, but sort of an unmasking of the motivations of the characters.

I think the big "theme moment" for the game comes from the Lt.'s drunken rant about everyone involved being mindless animals, killing without even understanding the reasons behind it. He puts on a mask and goes on a crazy, but totally honest, rant, and then removes the mask and starts falling back into his old role and makes up poo poo to back away from what he just said. The only guy who really seems to have an understanding of what they're doing and where they're going, to the point that they get a choice in their ending, is the Writer, and he's the only guy who doesn't have to kill people. The actor doesn't technically kill anyone either, maybe, but that almost falls in some reverse situation; he internalized the role of "mindless killer" and yet he's only able to carry out his killings as an act.

and then everyone left alive all die for reasons completely outside their understanding, killed because someone killed the heads of state for some unknowable reason and Russia decided to kill people without really knowing what is going on.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 12, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Y'all know how individual scenes have their own cassette covers? Well, several of them share the same white marking. I'm trying to figure out if anything ties together the following levels:

Down Under
Moving Up
Dead Ahead
Death Wish
Subway
Caught
Takeover
Apocalypse

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is there a mod or something to skip chapter 12 in Hotline Miami 1?

I would like to finish both games, but I'm not going to play that level.

e: You can edit the saves file to unlock levels, but it only works using the 'Original' version.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 12, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Sanctum posted:

Is there a mod or something to skip chapter 12 in Hotline Miami 1?

I would like to finish both games, but I'm not going to play that level.

e: You can edit the saves file to unlock levels, but it only works using the 'Original' version.

Time it took to post that you could have completed the level, c'mon mate. Just stick to small rooms, wait for the brainfuck to pass, move on.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

There was something out-of-place and almost sweet about Richard somehow comforting Richter a moment before everyone fries. Moments of honesty like him calmly facing death and the crazy "we're all animals" commander seem to stand out a lot in a narrative otherwise just stuffed with a bunch of delusional people.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Holy poo poo. You haven't really played through the soldier levels until you get the Flamethrower. :getin:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

story stuff

I think the big "theme moment" for the game comes from the Lt.'s drunken rant about everyone involved being mindless animals, killing without even understanding the reasons behind it. He puts on a mask

if you tear the face off a panther and wear it, is it still a mask?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 12, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I hit the Emptyquote button on accident! Everybody laugh at me!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

Holy poo poo. You haven't really played through the soldier levels until you get the Flamethrower. :getin:

if you tear the face off a panther and wear it, is it still a mask?

well not for a panther or other mindless killer, i guess

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

COBRARocky posted:

The one where you have to perfectly throw the bat and grab the shotgun to shoot the big black guy was probably the worst.

You don't have to throw anything if you time it right, actually.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Geight posted:

But the skateboard is only in one level as far as I know, and the head rip happens to a single, special enemy and also isn't real, in the context of the game.

Compared to drill, pool cue executions, and anything involving a pot of water and a stove, I'm afraid 2 just doesn't have nearly the same depth of cruelty that the original had.

Do you like hurting other people?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

Do you like hurting other people?

i for one am glad that hl2 so far hasnt had any line like this for people to quote endlessly at each other to signal yet another masturbatory session on the Nature of Violent Video Gaming

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

You really like hurting other people, don't you?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like including rape scenes in my lovely stories so people will think I'm a mature writer

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i for one am glad that hl2 so far hasnt had any line like this for people to quote endlessly at each other to signal yet another masturbatory session on the Nature of Violent Video Gaming

You really like hurting other people, don't you?

E: Beat like a russian mobster

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jizz Festival posted:

I like including rape scenes in my lovely stories so people will think I'm a mature writer
I'm going to adapt your story into a movie, if you don't mind. "The Swine Slaughterer", how's that sound?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

wit posted:

Time it took to post that you could have completed the level, c'mon mate. Just stick to small rooms, wait for the brainfuck to pass, move on.
I haven't spent much time on the level because playing it gives me a headache instantly. Also it's just an unforgivably lovely level. Something about the shaky/wobbling filter, can't say I had any issues with the finale in HM2 despite similarities in annoying filter effects. If playing a game made you physically ill, would you continue playing?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds great, chief. Just make sure to include that juicy rear end rape in there. Don't you dare leave that out or let any country tell you what to do.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to put in nothin' but rape. Just two hours of non-stop rape.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jizz Festival posted:

Sounds great, chief. Just make sure to include that juicy rear end rape in there. Don't you dare leave that out or let any country tell you what to do.

Yikes.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
brutal takedowns on rape going on in here

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
idk the first time you start the game it asks you 'do you want to skip scenes of sexual violence?' if you chose 'no' but you actually feel like those scenes detract from your enjoyment of the game that's kind of up to you.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Sure I'm up for some sexual violence, why not? :shrug:

--a normal human being playing hotline miami 2

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sure I would like to kill people by exploding their heads with an electric drill, but cartoon rape is where I draw the line, why not?

- a person trying to troll the hotline miami thread.

I'm pretty sure we've been through all of this.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There's an electric drill in the game?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I haven't spent much time on the level because playing it gives me a headache instantly. Also it's just an unforgivably lovely level. Something about the shaky/wobbling filter, can't say I had any issues with the finale in HM2 despite similarities in annoying filter effects. If playing a game made you physically ill, would you continue playing?
Really fucky depth of field blur gives me a blinding headache in some games so I get where you're coming from re: games actually making you sicky bad. Its a short rear end level though and the disorientation is an intentional part of the style be that as it may. Thats the last bit of it though and the levels after it are very satisfying. Get someone else to do that one level for you if you can because you'll really get a kick out of the next level. I bet the devs are happy that this actually makes people woozy in real life.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Jizz Festival posted:

There's an electric drill in the game?

you can use it to rape people's skulls, pretty hosed up imo

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 12, 2015

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Moderately annoyed right now, as Steam isn't letting me buy the OST without first owning the game itself... which I own on PSN. Really dumb. Not buying it again just so I can listen to the banging soundtrack on my commute.

Is the OST available anywhere else where I can legally purchase it? I'm guessing no, as google isn't bearing much fruit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Cancer posted:

Moderately annoyed right now, as Steam isn't letting me buy the OST without first owning the game itself... which I own on PSN. Really dumb. Not buying it again just so I can listen to the banging soundtrack on my commute.

Is the OST available anywhere else where I can legally purchase it? I'm guessing no, as google isn't bearing much fruit.

Check out the game directory

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Studio posted:

Hi I'm a dumb idiot. How do I use this?

Download hlm2-wad-extract.exe from releases, drop that into the game directory, drag a .wad file onto it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

To be honest I was pretty relieved that apparently the only thing that toggle even affects is the very opening scene. I was almost expecting them to get gross and lovely at some point but as far as I can tell, that's it, you see some buttcrack or you don't.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yardbomb posted:

To be honest I was pretty relieved that apparently the only thing that toggle even affects is the very opening scene. I was almost expecting them to get gross and lovely at some point but as far as I can tell, that's it, you see some buttcrack.

I laughed so loving hard when the oh so horrible rape scene was a fake horror movie scene where you play the bad guy.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

IMO the scene skip should have prevented the scene from being viewed by overlaying it with full screen Goatse.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Just got done with the all-Fans level and I'm really enjoying this. The swan floor was kind of rough because the gimmick takes awhile to get used to, but it's been a bunch of fun otherwise. It's definitely a much harder game, but I'm thinking maybe people have played the first one so much that they've forgotten how many times it took to get used to its play style. This is like that original learning experience, but repeated several times. If that makes any sense.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

atomicthumbs posted:

I know that this is a controversial opinion but: hotline miami 2 is a good game and I enjoyed it

Don't get me wrong, I really love this game and I'm having a blast playing it. There are just some very valid criticisms that shouldn't be ignored (And can possibly be fixed in later patches).

Whoever said that this is the Doom 2 to Doom 1 is completely and utterly right. Those games were largely the same, but Doom 2's level design was nowhere near as clean and simple as Doom 1's, which wound up working against it. In Doom 2 there were still a bunch of fun and memorable missions, but the run n' gun gameplay of the original was severely hampered by levels which punished you for rushing through them until you got very, very good, enemies who were a lot more annoying than they should be and mechanics that needed to be exploited rather than mastered. There were a lot of people who liked Doom 2, but it felt like a departure from the simplicity of the first.

It's the same here. The core gameplay of HLM2 is still very fun, the Fans feel great to play as, there are a fair few characters who have mechanics that could be a lot of fun but the level design works against you in very major ways to ensure they never really get to have their full potential. What made the original game great is still present and accounted for: The first 7 or so levels are incredible fun, but then the game gets too ambitious and the simplicity of the game just isn't there anymore. Not in a way that's entertaining at least: You'll play this game in a method that works, not a method that's fun. Corner popping and a giant pile of guns and bodies isn't anywhere near as cool as blitzing through hallways as Corey blasting people and rolling weapon to weapon, but that's what you gotta do later on.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Larry Parrish posted:

Check out the game directory

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any way to extract this from a Playstation install (just tried from Vita, out of desperation more than anything).

I've contacted Devolver anyway. Pretty sure they wouldn't be too pleased about willing customers being unable to purchase something legally.

P.S, this game is some hot poo poo. D+'ing it all over the shop. Favourite track so far is Magna - Divide.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm real tempted to make the pig man portrait my forums pic, the snorty one where you can see his eyes and hair. Really a bunch of the portraits are cool lookin this time around, practically any of them would be A+ av material.

I also eagerly await someone eventually using the leopard face wearing 50 Blessings commander with his WE'RE ANIMALS spiel. :v:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pharmaskittle posted:

Just got done with the all-Fans level and I'm really enjoying this. The swan floor was kind of rough because the gimmick takes awhile to get used to, but it's been a bunch of fun otherwise. It's definitely a much harder game, but I'm thinking maybe people have played the first one so much that they've forgotten how many times it took to get used to its play style. This is like that original learning experience, but repeated several times. If that makes any sense.

I was kinda pissed off at the ranged swan being all wonky to aim with but then I figured out her main use was to basically stand outside of rooms and fire the gun so that when all the mobsters rush out they get a faceful of chainsaw, it made the swans far more straightforward to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
Really don't know how to feel about the Hawaii levels.

• Locked thread