Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah the only thing that bothered me about the first Letho fight was that if you're supposed to lose anyway (and let's face it, the vast majority of the people playing the game lost the fight the first time they played it), why does it give you a game over screen?

GrossMurpel posted:

I'd say Geralt is sick and tired of everyone's poo poo equally. Like in The Edge of the World, he's talking mad poo poo about Elves clinging on to their old ways.

He is. But that means he's sick of the Blue Stripes' poo poo as much as the Elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Zig-Zag posted:

Look at our this way you can sell the 760 for 150 easily and you get a 60 dollar game free. It's a good investment if your wanting to play this game maxed out.

That would be a good plan except for the fact I am an idiot and pre-ordered the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lareine posted:

That would be a good plan except for the fact I am an idiot and pre-ordered the game.

From somewhere that won't let you cancel the pre-order?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah the only thing that bothered me about the first Letho fight was that if you're supposed to lose anyway (and let's face it, the vast majority of the people playing the game lost the fight the first time they played it), why does it give you a game over screen?

Is there a game that does that? You lose a fight you're supposed to lose and the game continues? I feel like I have a vague memory of a fight like that.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Subjunctive posted:

From somewhere that won't let you cancel the pre-order?

Can you cancel pre-orders on Steam?

I dunno, seems like a lot of effort and I don't feel like playing ebay russian roulette. On top of being cheap, I am very lazy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3219981
That's how. It's a quick transaction.

Lycus posted:

Is there a game that does that? You lose a fight you're supposed to lose and the game continues? I feel like I have a vague memory of a fight like that.

Lots of games do that. it's not rare. Can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 11, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lareine posted:

Can you cancel pre-orders on Steam?

I dunno, seems like a lot of effort and I don't feel like playing ebay russian roulette. On top of being cheap, I am very lazy.

Yeah, you can cancel pre-orders on Steam. Don't even need to deal with support any more. It's in your transaction history.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

Tons of games do it. The earliest one I remember playing is Megaman X, where the boss battle in the intro stage is unbeatable and you just go to the losing cutscene once you're below a certain percentage of health.

Unfortunately, lots of games don't do that, too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

I think there was a battle in Dragon Age that was technically beatable, but you were expected to lose and end up in jail or something.

There was also an unwinnable battle in Metro 2033, and a fight in Mass Effect 3 that would supposely go on until you ran out of ammo.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

Drifter posted:

Lots of games do that. it's not rare. Can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Different kind of RPG but the one that came to mind for me is Final Fantasy X, there's a fight like this near the beginning against a big underwater monster (it's been a while...details are a little fuzzy). I remember the first time I played it I blew through all my potions before realizing that it was supposed to be unwinnable, and that as soon as you get down to red health it triggers a cutscene and the game continues.

Edit - Upon further thought, I think this (bolded) is probably the reason why more games don't do it. If you go into a fight unaware that you're supposed to lose for plot reasons, you could waste all your items (or whatever) for no reason and then be screwed at a later point if/when you actually need them.

hot salad fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 11, 2015

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
It happens 4 times in Metal Gear Rising.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also happens the first time you fight Seath in Dark Souls.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Lycus posted:

Both KOTOR RPGs. Vs the guy without a Jaw bone in the first one, and the guy who needs to see a dermatologist in the second game.
Most of the Call of Duty games if I remember correctly, but I haven't played once since like modern warfare 3.
The German guy in Deus Ex.
I want to say Max Payne 1 or 2?
Batman Arkham City (crushed by the joker, saved by catwoman)
Lots of RTS games have a 'were hosed, lets get out of here level' especially starcraft games
Shadowrun Dragonfall begins that way.
Saints row IV and in a way 3 as well.
If you want to consider, between two games, to be continuity, then Then The Longest Journey: Dreamfall to the next game Dreamfall Chapters.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
In KOTOR 2 if Sion kills you you just die. The solution is to run away. It's been too long since I played KOTOR 1 so I can't remember what the first Darth Malak fight was like.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The second mission of Jedi Outcast ends with you supposed to get your rear end kicked by the big bad as well (which comes quite naturally as you're only armed with a blaster and he has a lightsaber and max-level jedi skills)

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Lycus posted:

Xenogears was the king of this. It had 5+ "stomp on the player" boss fights and 1-2 unfair boss fights that let you keep playing if you lost but could be beaten with optimal play. I think the game even had a few fair fights where the game would somehow give you a break if you lost them.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I might have missed this in the depths of this thread, but if I've lost my saves from the Witcher 2, is there going to be a way to recreate the choices I made for import into 3? Or some sort of save game repository hosted somewhere?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Considering it's gonna be on next gen consoles as well as PC, I'd have to assume so.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hopefully, there will be an in-game choice-picker that they won't want you to buy.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
We've got an in-game choice picker, and on PC I think we also do a direct import.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Are there any mods (or just obvious things I've missed) to make Witcher 2 less dexterity-based? I can't get through the tutorial because I just don't have the baseline finesse to throw the dagger at the guy.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
First off, I'd suggest skipping the tutorial. Then I'd throw the game down to easy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Oligopsony posted:

Are there any mods (or just obvious things I've missed) to make Witcher 2 less dexterity-based? I can't get through the tutorial because I just don't have the baseline finesse to throw the dagger at the guy.

The FCR 2 mod gives Geralt an auto-parry which might help though it also causes some weird issues with specific game systems. Mostly it's well done though and might make the game easier for you without you having to turn the actual difficulty to easy.

Also the tutorial is pretty poo poo and will tell you to turn the game to easy the first time you try it no matter what because it expects you to be an instant expert at the combat for some reason.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Oligopsony posted:

uh... doesn't it literally just auto-target and throw for you if you hit the dagger button and don't hold?... it's not really a test of finesse unless you have a hard time even hitting the button on your keyboard..?

Or maybe that's just a PC thing and doesn't work on consoles?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Snow Job posted:

Xenogears was the king of this. It had 5+ "stomp on the player" boss fights and 1-2 unfair boss fights that let you keep playing if you lost but could be beaten with optimal play. I think the game even had a few fair fights where the game would somehow give you a break if you lost them.

:swoon:

ed; Hammer, you shithead.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The code you get with a Nvidia card is for GOG right?
How does that work with a modern game that gets patched a lot and has 10+ DLC planned, do you have to manually redownload the whole thing every time, or hunt for patches like it's the early 2000's again?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

sauer kraut posted:

How does that work with a modern game that gets patched a lot and has 10+ DLC planned, do you have to manually redownload the whole thing every time, or hunt for patches like it's the early 2000's again?

It looks like it is. I don't see any Steam markings on the page, but there is a GOG one on the related pages on NVidia's site.

Edit: Oh hey, should have looked at this first, yes it's GOG: http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/bundle/code-instructions

As far as DLC and patching, it maybe packaged in GOG's new service they've been beta testing that ties that all in for you. I don't know it might as well be all in game for all I know.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 19, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

For W2, the launcher told you if there was a patch and let you download it. Same for DLC IIRC. The EE was a new download though I think.
You could also use that new GOG client I guess.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Is Witcher 3 steamworks or if I get it through a NVIDIA code will my copy be GOG only?

I've already got it pre-ordered on Steam but just bought a new GPU that should be eligible for the promotion.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

VodeAndreas posted:

Is Witcher 3 steamworks or if I get it through a NVIDIA code will my copy be GOG only?

I've already got it pre-ordered on Steam but just bought a new GPU that should be eligible for the promotion.

Through GOG as posted previously if you use the NVidia offer.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I hope they make the skill tree more "flat" for some skills in 3. In 2, at least for Magic, you need to improve some signs in order to improve others. Like, Yrden is really far up the tree. I hope you can choose between different directions, like in 1.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
http://www.twitch.tv/gamestarde/

a german man is talking about getting to play our game for a few days

(my german sucks but I think he liked it a ton)

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
What is the goon approved card for getting free witches?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

neonbregna posted:

I just read the Part Picking Thread in Serious Hardware / Software Crap and bought a 970. It only has 3.5gb of RAM rather than the advertised 4 but overall is a in a much better place on the cost/benefit ratio compared to the 980 (the 980 is wildly more expensive for a very small boost in power).

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

neonbregna posted:

960 is relatively weak. Only go for it if you don't care about running the game at ultra or even high or if the stronger cards are too expensive.
970 is the bang/buck sweet spot. Might not run The Witcher 3 at a constant 60 fps with ultra settings but it probably won't be very far either.
980 costs a lot more but only gives you roughly 15-20% better performance compared to the 970.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 20, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

neonbregna posted:

If you want an EVGA card, 04G-P4-3975-KR (and only this) is the correct answer according to the nerd forum. They really need to flush their old stock with subpar coolers :smith:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R3NK2LE/

For the US, order from Amazon. Other countries can have different participating vendors for teh Witcher.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 20, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm considering grabbing a 970 pretty soon as well.

That said: is this one of those times when it's not super wise to buy a new video card because some flashy new thing is going to come out in a few months and I'll be all "oh, no, I should've waited"?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm considering grabbing a 970 pretty soon as well.

That said: is this one of those times when it's not super wise to buy a new video card because some flashy new thing is going to come out in a few months and I'll be all "oh, no, I should've waited"?

As far as I know the only thing coming out is the new Titan that's going to be near $1k.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The chances for an "oh no" are astronomically low if you buy a good 970 now. Worst case, it'll drop to 299$ after the promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool, then it definitely sounds like a good time to buy. I'll jump on it closer to the release date.

I might have to hop over to the PC parts thread for some advice, too. My PC's a few years old now and I'm wondering how to identify where the real performance bottlenecks are. Like, I'm not sure how to tell how much effect a new video card would have given the processor I'm working with.

• Locked thread