Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

https://vine.co/v/OEXx0935Dtr

https://vine.co/v/OjqVIr6KhHJ

Strawman fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

I didn't know Walcott was a thalidomide baby

:vince:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Thinking about how much change we've seen since Fergie's retirement - different players, different CEO, different managers, different assistants, different styles of football, different approach in the market - the only thing that's actually the same is the name of the club and the mighty stadium...

But only a tiny fraction of any PL club's fans actually go to matches, so to most Utd fans, the name of the club is the only real, tangible constant throughout.

Now, hypothetically speaking, imagine if rather than retiring, Fergie had moved to a different club, say Juventus, and immediately begun 'being Fergie' at Juventus - same style of football, same attitude on the touchline, same post match interview style, same way of dressing etc - and at the same time we were going through this dreary identity crisis that we are currently going through... I wonder how many Utd fans would slowly start morphing into Juve fans?

In this day and age, where you can watch pretty much any team on Earth live online, and where managers having a 'brand of football' unique to themselves is more and more of 'a thing', could the day come when fans will follow managers as well as clubs? Or even more than clubs?

After all, as we're seeing so clearly right now, a club is really just a name, a company. Whereas a manager is an actual personality of substance and real emotion.

Are Mourinho and Guardiola the beginning of this phenomenon...?

I bet you've got a favourite out of those two 'super-managers', right? And, as a neutral, whenever they play, regardless of what team they happen to be representing at the time, you root for the manager you 'support' out of them?

What say you?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
same way of dressing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Star Error posted:

same way of dressing

I'm on Team Mourinho because he wears regular width ties

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-31838762

Chris Graham ( who was just made a director of rangers, and is the fan rep ) is being investigated for tweeting a cartoon of mohammed wanking jar jar binks.

Yes really.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

jre posted:

Chris Graham ( who was just made a director of rangers, and is the fan rep ) is being investigated for tweeting a cartoon of mohammed wanking jar jar binks.

Yes really.

Islam is kind of the Jar Jar Binks of Abrahamic religions if you think about it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

vyelkin posted:

I'm on Team Mourinho because he wears regular width ties

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

jre posted:

Yes really.

Post the pic

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bogan Krkic posted:

Post the pic

I can't it's haram

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

Thinking about how much change we've seen since Fergie's retirement - different players, different CEO, different managers, different assistants, different styles of football, different approach in the market - the only thing that's actually the same is the name of the club and the mighty stadium...

But only a tiny fraction of any PL club's fans actually go to matches, so to most Utd fans, the name of the club is the only real, tangible constant throughout.

Now, hypothetically speaking, imagine if rather than retiring, Fergie had moved to a different club, say Juventus, and immediately begun 'being Fergie' at Juventus - same style of football, same attitude on the touchline, same post match interview style, same way of dressing etc - and at the same time we were going through this dreary identity crisis that we are currently going through... I wonder how many Utd fans would slowly start morphing into Juve fans?

In this day and age, where you can watch pretty much any team on Earth live online, and where managers having a 'brand of football' unique to themselves is more and more of 'a thing', could the day come when fans will follow managers as well as clubs? Or even more than clubs?

After all, as we're seeing so clearly right now, a club is really just a name, a company. Whereas a manager is an actual personality of substance and real emotion.

I bet you've got a favourite out of those two 'super-managers', right? And, as a neutral, whenever they play, regardless of what team they happen to be representing at the time, you root for the manager you 'support' out of them?

What say you?

an insanely good find this

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I prefer to support financial groups.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

TelekineticBear! posted:

an insanely good find this

So, using the hypothetical 'Fergie at Juventus' analogy, you'd support Louis Van Gaal's United over Sir Alex Ferguson's Juventus?

Would it definitely be that simple?

Would it definitely be more loyal?

For lots of fans, they supported Fergie as long as they supported United, and as I (probably superfluously) stated - one is alive and tangible and constant, and the other is really just a notion.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Rivas is the most offsides striker that has ever offsides in the history of offsides

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

jre posted:

Yes really.

gently caress social media and the faggots(as a pejorative) who take it seriously.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shrapnig posted:

gently caress social media and the faggots(as a pejorative) who take it seriously.

Social media constitutes proper news these days and it's not going away, get used to it old man.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I googled the Mohammed pic op

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blue Star Error posted:

What say you?

I was so distressed by Chris Graham's blasphemy I missed this earlier

:vince:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Folks,

With the World Cup roster selection, the Donovan news, and the continuation of the send-off series (not to mention the fact that the tournament itself is fast approaching), we've seen an uptick in traffic in the News and Analysis forum. This is great, and we've got lots of good discussions going and more than enough news to digest collectively. With all this, however, we thought it best to remind posters of the stricter moderation in place in N+A and our zero-tolerance policy for personal attacks and/or trolling.

News and Analysis is for good-natured, constructive discussion and for respectful differences of opinion. US Men is for more free-flowing fan banter--the touch of moderators is lighter there. Think of it like discussing soccer in a classroom versus discussing soccer back in your dorm room with your buds.

We ask that posters engage constructively with each other while avoiding personal attacks, drive-by snark, and calling out posters individually or in groups (i.e., "fanboys," "haters," "apologists," etc.). We will also not tolerate angry rants, political soapboxing, or turning threads into confrontational discussions of other posters.

Since there's going to be so much activity in the coming weeks, we're reinstating our zero-tolerance policy for personal attacks and trolling. We'll be issuing forum bans to folks who can't abide by our stricter posting standards.

It's always a good idea to think before hitting the "post reply" button: would this post make someone want to throw a drink in my face or knee me in the crotch? If so, it's probably a post that would result in a ban.

We're not trying to sterilize discussion entirely, of course. But posts such as "JK apologists are mouth-breathing losers who know nothing about soccer and can't cut their own food" won't fly. Neither will dropping by a thread just to lay turds like "such-and-such a player sucks major rear end totes lolz."* While drive-by follow-ups such as "me too," "lol/hahahaha," and silly gifs or images are not strictly trolling, they're also frowned upon.

We're hoping to help make everyone's News and Analysis experience a positive one during this World Cup season. If you're looking for fan banter with more hands-off moderation, you can check out US Men.

*Or however the kids talk these days.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Does Juan Agudelo have the most complete skill-set among all of our strikers?

quote:

I think Altidore has more tools, but Agudelo has a higher ceiling. If that makes any sense

quote:

i think the OP's original question is not about the current depth Chart (where agudelo is understandably not currently near the top) but about skill/ability in a General sense (where, while in form, agudelo is clearly near the top of the Player pool)...most refuse to distinguish between the two and want to heap blame on the guy for being the victim of international citizenship work Permit BS/questionable desision making(at 21 years of Age!), without anyone really having the full Story.

i would guess Agudelo is better on the wing than davies, if one had to Play there... Juan put in some good Performances there in Holland. both are strikers. neither is really a post up back to the Goal Player that usually would Play alone up top....they are actually Kind of similar Players that could both benefit from having another striker who can make runs and keep defenses guessing. agudelo might have a bit more ball skill, davies might be a bit more tenacious.

I think ist all about getting your best 11 on the field....suiting the System to the Players, not the other way around....so, no I dont think the revs should be wedded to a 1 striker Formation.

also, from a usmnt perspective, i think playing with 2 strikers is clearly the way to go....so, in that sense, i would like all usmnt prospects playing in a 2 striker Formation with their Clubs. (as an aside, i dont like altidore playing alone up top as a battering ram getting pounded and passing off all game...he can run at defenders when given the Chance...and he used to do that a lot more in his younger days...with another fast striker a la agudelo, zardes or EJ next to him, i think we see altidores best)

quote:

Juan Agudelo. Sometimes a player's zealous online backers can make one dislike him.

But seriously, if I had to categorize these guys:

Agudelo:

Strengths: Is actually a true center-forward. Is good in the air. Has a good first touch. Strong on the ball. Is good in tight spaces. Is an excellent poacher. Good combination player. Makes excellent runs off the ball.

Weaknesses: has to show greater professionalism. Has to show he wants to maximize his long term
potential as to opposed to only wanting to maximize short term earnings. Has to improve his work-
rate. Has average speed.

Path to Greatness: fairly straight forward if he stfu and gets on with things. will have incredible attacking support at New England.

Jozy:

Strengths: has an elite dribble for a big man; is a brilliant combination player; has a powerful, accurate shot. is brilliant posting up in isolation to receive ground passes.

Weaknesses: has a poor first touch; makes poor runs off the ball; is a poor poacher. isn't a true center forward

Path to Greatness: isn't as tactically flexible as that of Agudelo. needs to be close to his support so he can play combinations. needs to have the freedom to drop off into deep or wide postions, so he can face goal and use his dribble. Not sure the 4231 TFC seem to be gravitating towards is the best fit.

quote:

really disagree about his dribble. I have seen him on rare occasion make a great dribble, but it is not a consistently great nor even very good dribble. If he were a good dribbler (with his powerful accurate shot) he should have beaten a few defenders off the dribble and scored a few more during his sting in England. Great dribbling often goes hand in hand with a great first touch, which we both know he does not have. You want to see elite dribbling for a big man, look at Ibrahimavich, or for good dribbling, look at Dzecko, Rooney, or Higuian.

As for our most complete forward. Right now the pickings are really slim. Over the past ten years, I would say Herc Gomez when he was at the top of his game in Mexico. He had good touch, vision, combination play, dribbling, work-rate, and a real nose for goal. We really should have used him much more than we did.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

drive-by snark

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Paddyb posted:

I googled the Mohammed pic op

Post it or link or whatever

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Post it or link or whatever

http://imgur.com/Ek24HdI

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

lol

rangers fans should make a tifo of this

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

did he draw this himself

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bogan Krkic posted:

did he draw this himself

Yes, and he tweeted it to a muslim preacher who said he didn't like the Charlie Hebdo cartoons.

quote:

61d Chris Graham @ChrisGraham76
.@anjemchoudary You probably won't like this one of Prophet Mo giving Jar Jar Binks a handjob then? #JeSuisCharlie pic.twitter.com/INYVKc8ZQJ

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The expression on Mohammed's face

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I didn't know jar jar had 4 balls

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

jre posted:

Yes, and he tweeted it to a muslim preacher who said he didn't like the Charlie Hebdo cartoons.

"Preacher"

The guy is an ISIS recruiter

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

What possesses a man to draw a crude rendering of Mohammad giving a hand job to Jar Jar Binks

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

hello new cellphone wallpaper

Bogan Krkic posted:

What possesses a man to draw a crude rendering of Mohammad giving a hand job to Jar Jar Binks

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Florentino has reproduced the Zidanes and Pavones with that roster. Problem is that Real Madrid produces far too few decent Pavones. They have actually had to buy the Pavones at inflated prices because they are Real Madrid and all other clubs know their tendencies. The only two decent cantera players worth noting are Carvajal and Jese. What the hell happened? Real used to supply players to many clubs playing in La Liga. Now, not so much. Who should shoulder the blame? Florentino of course.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Bogan Krkic posted:

Hornyness

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

oliwan posted:

Florentino has reproduced the Zidanes and Pavones with that roster. Problem is that Real Madrid produces far too few decent Pavones. They have actually had to buy the Pavones at inflated prices because they are Real Madrid and all other clubs know their tendencies. The only two decent cantera players worth noting are Carvajal and Jese. What the hell happened? Real used to supply players to many clubs playing in La Liga. Now, not so much. Who should shoulder the blame? Florentino of course.

Nothing wrong with this, did you not understand it? Should someone draw you a diagram?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Thank you Jose!...In what's been a rotten week, heck a pretty piss-poor couple of seasons for Utd, in one night, you and one of your charmless incarnations of a football team have reminded me that even if Utd never win another trophy in their history, I'm glad that you didn't get the managers job at OT.........and before anyone points to DiMaria cheating, remember, he was under Jose's tutelage before he came here..........

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The cruel tutelage of Jo Sè

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
This tale has been trotted out before but as a City fan having seen us lose away at Wycombe on a rainy Tuesday night, lose at home to Bury, walked out of Wembley 0-2 to Gillingham (I got back in), and comparing that to where we are now, I'm not just happy I'm ecstatic. We've won every domestic trophy on offer in the last four years, we're second and on Wednesday I get to take my two sons and two cousins to their first CL game in Barcelona, not expecting to win but just to enjoy the party.

So, were not as good as we were, or should be, but perspective is all and given our long history of failure, and the fact you can't win every game every week, I'm pretty much as happy as I could be!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

chuggo is BACK posted:

This tale has been trotted out before but as a City fan having seen us lose away at Wycombe on a rainy Tuesday night, lose at home to Bury, walked out of Wembley 0-2 to Gillingham (I got back in), and comparing that to where we are now, I'm not just happy I'm ecstatic. We've won every domestic trophy on offer in the last four years, we're second and on Wednesday I get to take my two sons and two cousins to their first CL game in Barcelona, not expecting to win but just to enjoy the party.

So, were not as good as we were, or should be, but perspective is all and given our long history of failure, and the fact you can't win every game every week, I'm pretty much as happy as I could be!

i love this

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

chuggo is BACK posted:

this is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

chuggo is BACK posted:

I see you've found TheGoatFeeder's blog.