Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Is there any information out about the new Iris 6100, or the upcoming (I assume) Iris Pro 6200?

Intel is so close to the point where I could probably go without a Discrete GPU. The Iris Pro benchmarks show it would give me great performance with the few games I play. I'm really keen to see how they build on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have a late 2013 rMBP, wondering if it's worth dumping it and getting an updated rMBP. The MacBook isn't powerful enough for what I need (I need to run a couple of VM's for work). I wish the new rMBP had a USB-C port, though. I'd really like to be able to just leave a dongle at my desk and carry one in my bag. $70 bucks for a combined HDMI/USB/Charging port isn't too steep, but if it included an ethernet I'd be more happy. I'm sure someone will make one.

I'm assuming you're talking about a 13" rMBP? From the VERY preliminary benchmarks that have come out, the new Broadwell Air/rMBP are more-or-less about the same CPU performance-wise as last years' (or in some cases actually marginally worse).

Apparently they did get a decent bump in GPU performance. But that said, the 2014 Haswell CPUs were basically on par with the 2013 Haswell CPUs so unless the new trackpad, better GPU, and an extra hour of battery life are worth a computer replacement to you, I'd just hold onto it and wait.

Unless you change up the RAM I don't really see it affecting your work very much.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wooger posted:

These are 1% use cases, and would be fine with Internal PCIe cards if apple made a proper desktop any longer.

Surely a studio will have dedicated editing machines rather than expecting someone to come in and hotplug their Macbook to $$$ editing stations?

Tons of recording work is done at gigs using this style of (audio) interface. Being able to do that channel count on one machine is super useful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about a 13" rMBP? From the VERY preliminary benchmarks that have come out, the new Broadwell Air/rMBP are more-or-less about the same CPU performance-wise as last years' (or in some cases actually marginally worse).

Apparently they did get a decent bump in GPU performance. But that said, the 2014 Haswell CPUs were basically on par with the 2013 Haswell CPUs so unless the new trackpad, better GPU, and an extra hour of battery life are worth a computer replacement to you, I'd just hold onto it and wait.

Unless you change up the RAM I don't really see it affecting your work very much.

Makes sense. I'm really happy with mine, yes it's the 13". I'd like to bump up the storage, but I can always get an mSDCard and one of those slim adapters. Maybe I'll do that. Having the 256HD means I just have to make sure I don't have a bunch of junk on there. I have two more years of Apple Care, so I'll probably keep it and just ride that out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

passionate dongs posted:

Jony Ive will not rest until he removes every single port in all Apple computers.

Truly the son of Jobs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

jre posted:

Tons of recording work is done at gigs using this style of (audio) interface. Being able to do that channel count on one machine is super useful.

Yeah I was going to say, it may be a 1% use case, but at 100 million laptops a year, that's still a very large number of users. I only go to maybe 2 live local music events a month, but all of them have an apple laptop attached to some fancy $$ music interface.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

appropriatemetaphor posted:

apple tv question. i want to use airplay, but i have a mid 2011 air, does that mean i can't do it? apple's site says 2012 or later.
I have a mid-2011 13" Air and use Airplay all of the time with my second generation AppleTV. It doesn't work over 5Ghz to do Airplay, but 2.4 is in business.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This advice was very helpful for me to, thank you. I use a Magic Mouse a lot, and when I do use the non-force touchpad it works great.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

flosofl posted:

Eh, don't mind me. I've had a poo poo day and have been crabbing up everything.

Accipiter, I'm not saying I agree with you on some of this stuff, but sorry jumping on with both feet. We're still totally not dating or anything.

;-*

It's all good. It's not like you're enMTW or anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

People don't seem particularly impressed with the new trackpad either. Not that anyone's saying anything negative that I've seen, just that it doesn't really matter.

New keyboard kind of sucks though, but I think that's only on the Macbook itself.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are they going to make a separate force trackpad like the Magic Trackpad?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

This advice was very helpful for me to, thank you. I use a Magic Mouse a lot, and when I do use the non-force touchpad it works great.

:blush:

Aphrodite posted:

People don't seem particularly impressed with the new trackpad either. Not that anyone's saying anything negative that I've seen, just that it doesn't really matter.

New keyboard kind of sucks though, but I think that's only on the Macbook itself.

Apparently, the haptic motor does a really good job of fooling people into thinking there's an actual click going on- which I think is pretty cool. A lot of the ambivalence seems to revolve around 'force click' which I get, given that Apple hasn't exactly done a good job of illustrating the wider possibilities of its use beyond "get Wikipedia popups in Safari!"

The 'meh' (or at least "takes some getting used to. Maybe we'll get a better idea after a long-term test") keyboard is only on the new MacBook. I dunno, I remember there being a lot of complaints about chicklet keyboards when they were introduced so we'll see what the consensus on that is in the future.

Bob Morales posted:

Are they going to make a separate force trackpad like the Magic Trackpad?

Probs. I'm still waiting on them to make a keyboard with black caps that match the aesthetics of everything else they make and don't get all gross-looking though so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Tried the Force Trackpad on the 13" retina today.

Black magic, really. I turned the machine off, and it feels like a failed trackpad, no give at all, just solid glass. Then power it on, and you'd *swear* it was physically depressing the glass.

Then force click is crazy on a whole other level, you 'click' once, then by continuing to put pressure on the trackpad it feels like you somehow have pushed it down further when it 'clicks' down deeper.

It's a great trick. Very very cool.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Belkin Announces New Line of USB-C Cables, USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

That was quick.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably not? If you really need the power then move up to a 15" rMBP.

Edit: sorry this was late and referring to sir fat Jony Ive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Whatever about the specs, that new gold Macbook is ugly as gently caress. I have a gold 5S and the first thing I did was get a case that covered that shameful looking metal.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Huh, I just realized I haven't seen many people with a gold iphone out in the real world. Even my crazy, high-maintenance step-mom didn't choose that color.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeast posted:

Tried the Force Trackpad on the 13" retina today.

Black magic, really. I turned the machine off, and it feels like a failed trackpad, no give at all, just solid glass. Then power it on, and you'd *swear* it was physically depressing the glass.

Then force click is crazy on a whole other level, you 'click' once, then by continuing to put pressure on the trackpad it feels like you somehow have pushed it down further when it 'clicks' down deeper.

It's a great trick. Very very cool.

I wonder if the next step is to make the mac trackpads have a tiny screen on them, now that it's basically force sensitive non-moving glass.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Whatever about the specs, that new gold Macbook is ugly as gently caress. I have a gold 5S and the first thing I did was get a case that covered that shameful looking metal.

They got the color better after the 5S.

My mom has a gold 6 and, while it's not really my taste, I get the appeal.

Eeyo posted:

I wonder if the next step is to make the mac trackpads have a tiny screen on them, now that it's basically force sensitive non-moving glass.

I dunno. A Mac DS seems very un-Jony to me. The whole 'look down at the trackpad for context-specific buttons' deal sounds like something he wouldn't tolerate.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The real benefit will be when they move the force click stuff to the rumored iPad pro. Then you have a software keyboard that feels like typing on a keyboard and pressure sensitivity for drawing and stuff.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Then you have a software keyboard that feels like typing on a keyboard

That is gonna be incredible when it works. Especially once you're able to customize the feel.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

phosdex posted:

That is gonna be incredible when it works. Especially once you're able to customize the feel.
What? Isn't it just haptic vibration? Android devices have had this on their keyboards for years and it's pretty basic / underwhelming. I can't imagine there's any way to actually do it better without some new technology.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What? Isn't it just haptic vibration? Android devices have had this on their keyboards for years and it's pretty basic / underwhelming. I can't imagine there's any way to actually do it better without some new technology.

I was thinking they wouldn't do this, but you know apple usually doesn't just toss stuff in till its fleshed out. They have some of it now in the trackpad, and the watch so maybe they could whip up something new for an iPad.

I had an android work phone with some feedback, and it was just strange and I didn't find it particularly useful.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Android haptic is poo poo because its just the vibration motor - A component designed for one use and then made to do another.

if the haptic in the trackpad can better emulate a clicking sensation then it will feel better than what you find in an Android handset.

FWIW the CG video in the keynote makes it look more like it butts into something to generate the feedback.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

fleshweasel posted:

Probably not? If you really need the power then move up to a 15" rMBP.

Edit: sorry this was late and referring to sir fat Jony Ive.

I have a 15 rMBP. I got it in 2012 with 16GB. I absolutely love my computer as mush as when I first got it. Had a warranty issue which replaced the batter and keyboard which was inclusive to the fix. It was a screen flickering issue. However I do like the new MacBook 13. It is a very pretty computer. I'm worried about the performance though. In single and Duo process specifically, anyone know the #s on Geekbench? I used to have a MBA which was slow but manageable. I have considered selling this and maybe trying out the MacBook 13 but I much prefer the power. Although I don't really do much anymore in terms of intensive apps and I boot into windows natively. $1300 such a sexy machine. I would say sell my computer but I don't think I would get much out of it in resale. Maybe $1500? Basically I'm trying to justify another computer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The big dilemma in an iPad version will be thinner, or feedback.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

OatmealRocks posted:

I have a 15 rMBP. I got it in 2012 with 16GB. I absolutely love my computer as mush as when I first got it. Had a warranty issue which replaced the batter and keyboard which was inclusive to the fix. It was a screen flickering issue. However I do like the new MacBook 13. It is a very pretty computer. I'm worried about the performance though. In single and Duo process specifically, anyone know the #s on Geekbench? I used to have a MBA which was slow but manageable. I have considered selling this and maybe trying out the MacBook 13 but I much prefer the power. Although I don't really do much anymore in terms of intensive apps and I boot into windows natively. $1300 such a sexy machine. I would say sell my computer but I don't think I would get much out of it in resale. Maybe $1500? Basically I'm trying to justify another computer.
I'm trading down from a 2013 15" to a new 13" (need portability more than power these days) so if you hold out for a week I can try the same sort of virtualisation stuff I do now and post impressions once it shows up.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Mercurius posted:

I'm trading down from a 2013 15" to a new 13" (need portability more than power these days) so if you hold out for a week I can try the same sort of virtualisation stuff I do now and post impressions once it shows up.

Please let me know .. also feed back on the new trackpad would be great. What do you think of the new MacBook 12 retina?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

phosdex posted:

Huh, I just realized I haven't seen many people with a gold iphone out in the real world. Even my crazy, high-maintenance step-mom didn't choose that color.

Clearly you don't live in a major city.

I'd say 1/2 of the iPhones I see around are gold in NYC.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

nah I live in the midwest which we're all drooling idiots

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

phosdex posted:

nah I live in the midwest which we're all drooling idiots
Well, I *like* my gold iPhone and iPad Air 2 :colbert:
(drooly midwesterner)

But yeah, the gold MacBook looks like rear end.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I live in Toronto which is apparently the 4th largest city in North America now. literally never seen a gold iPhone outside of an Apple Store.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

NYC here. One person I know bought a gold iPhone 5s on purpose, another friend bought a gold iPhone 6 because it was the only option in stock in the store he went into at the time.

The dozens of other people I know with iPhones that could be gold, don't have gold. I barely see anyone in the wild with one, either.

e: I'm hoping there'll be a point where my MacBook will know I'm wearing my Apple Watch and let me bypass the passcode lock. Apple Touch ID will probably never get implemented into a MacBook, and really it shouldn't need it when you'll have your phone and watch on you anyway.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 12, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
OSX gives you the option of creating a local account or using your AppleID, so it's already in there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
This ShoogaSlim probably means Touch ID

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

OatmealRocks posted:

Please let me know .. also feed back on the new trackpad would be great. What do you think of the new MacBook 12 retina?
The new one doesn't do what I need it to (connectivity and performance) so I didn't even consider it. I pretty much only use my MBP for work and I need to be able to virtualise a bunch of stuff so being stuck with 8GB of RAM would hurt. I also have a thunderbolt dock at work so I'd prefer to stick with something that has a thunderbolt port.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So the new Macbook is an iPad with non-detachable keyboard with no travel?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
... that runs Mac OS X, not iOS.

Personally, I'm annoyed by the lack of touch ID. :ssj: apple :ssj:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ijyt posted:

So the new Macbook is an iPad with non-detachable keyboard with no travel?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It does kind of seem like the same components as an iPad rearranged a bit and with an Intel chip instead of an Apple one.