Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its kinda like they're trying to go for something between koji kumeta and mignola in terms of aesthetic but not really pulling it off, kinda interesting though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Captain Invictus posted:

Is Reiroukan Still Alive just finished being scanlated. The last two chapters were amazing. I felt like it might've been canceled and that's why it rushed to an ending, but after seeing the final chapter, I feel like maybe it was meant to be that way. That was a drat good final chapter, got a little misty and everything even.
Just read through this and it was wonderful. It did feel rushed but the ending more than made up for it.

The cooking chapter was one of the most hysterical chapters of a Manga I've ever read. It was like every single panel was pure gold :allears:. Wow

coathat
May 21, 2007

Collection of one shots by the I am a hero guy strating with his eArliest stuff.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/tokkaten-r14677

Pretty funny

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Is Reiroukan Still Alive just finished being scanlated. The last two chapters were amazing. I felt like it might've been canceled and that's why it rushed to an ending, but after seeing the final chapter, I feel like maybe it was meant to be that way. That was a drat good final chapter, got a little misty and everything even.

this mangaka can draw some rear end!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

coathat
May 21, 2007

HIs current series is getting translated too. Nudity warning http://bato.to/comic/_/stravaganza-isai-no-hime-r9134

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

this one looks cool, thanks

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

coathat posted:

HIs current series is getting translated too. Nudity warning http://bato.to/comic/_/stravaganza-isai-no-hime-r9134

this ones cool too!!!

I really like the salamander monster thats in chapter 2

coathat
May 21, 2007

SoreMachi 120 is out and it's fantastic. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=661&chapter_num=120.00

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did crunchyroll ever finish filling in the missing chapters from where the previous license left off (I think the 80's)? Looking through the Soredemo page it looks like they're still missing about 10 I guess?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm trying to find an old comic, it's either by the same author as Lone Wolf and Cub or someone who drew kinda like him. II vaguely remember the story, it or a part of it was about a pair of married police, and another part was about a Samurai like in LWaC but not a disgraced one. It was really similar to LWaC but a hell of a lot less grim. Kinda vague I know but what am I thinking about?

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

You can almost feel Tatsuno's pain of being subjected to by Hotori.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Pierson posted:

I'm trying to find an old comic, it's either by the same author as Lone Wolf and Cub or someone who drew kinda like him. II vaguely remember the story, it or a part of it was about a pair of married police, and another part was about a Samurai like in LWaC but not a disgraced one. It was really similar to LWaC but a hell of a lot less grim. Kinda vague I know but what am I thinking about?

Samurai Executioner?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Executioner

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's it! Thanks man.

coathat
May 21, 2007

This is good. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/la-republique-du-catch-r12893

It's french comic dude Nicolas de Crecy doing a series for the magazine Ultra Jump. its a cool weird mafia story.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

coathat posted:

This is good. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/la-republique-du-catch-r12893

It's french comic dude Nicolas de Crecy doing a series for the magazine Ultra Jump. its a cool weird mafia story.

the arts incredible

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yeah that's really the only reason to keep the French around. I do like the intros by all the great mangaka.

He apparently did an art book with Taiyou Matsumoto that I now need.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Bought Blade of the Immortal volume 29, and looking it up apparently the last volume (31) comes out next month so that is going to be a thing. Been reading this silly/awesome thing for over 13 years and it will probably feel weird not having to look up and see if any new books had come out. There were some arcs that didn't work, and the beginning took a while to find its footing (basically the author realizing that the Itto-ryu were far more interesting characters than Manji), but top to bottom it was an extremely memorable story with great art, action, and characters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The last I read of it the 1 armed guy had lost the second arm and was having the bone also turned into a weapon? I have no idea how far through that is

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think that was in the low teens, "Autumn Frost" or something, so not quite the halfway point. That's where Manji and Magatsu team up and it owns.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wait was that before the weird experiment arc that went on for far too long?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh haha, yeah that was well before. The experiment/prison arc which is probably the weakest part of the whole thing came later in I think the 20's. That villain shows up again after the experiment arc which is probably what you were referring to, but the "bone as a weapon in place the hand" was first revealed much earlier when he seemingly died the first time.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Aside from the art I don't think there was a single thing I liked about blade of the immortal.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I've been following BotI on and off for about as long. It was one of the first manga I ever bought in physical form. I got a little bogged down with the prison arc so I'm pretty behind currently, but saw the other day the last book would be out soon so I'm going to get it along with the last few I still don't have and do a big re-read of the whole thing.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

coathat posted:

Aside from the art I don't think there was a single thing I liked about blade of the immortal.

Could you elaborate? I've been reading it since it first started coming out in English in 1997 or so and it's a great series. Once the focus started to shift to Itto-ryu and Rin in volume 3 (which is one of the best singular volumes in the series IMO) it became really good. Almost all the characters are likeable and (relatively) realistic. The only really bad ones in that respect are Tanpopo and Meguru, the shinobi pair that feel like they belong in some stupid generic ecchi series. I especially liked the interaction between Rin and Doa and how their relationship evolved before and during that incredible rescue mission they pulled off.

As for the bad, some story arcs do tend to drag on a bit. Even so, the story does roll on pretty well and there aren't really any filler arcs which is always a plus.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The never ending gimmick exotic weapons got lame real quick and I didn't care for the overall plot in the slightest.

And for there only being like three immortals everyone else kept not dying over and over.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
How far did you read? It really sounds like you've maybe read two or three volumes total. The story's focus does a pretty major shift in volume 6 where some background workings are revealed on how Itto-ryu have even been able to do what they do and even before that there's more focus on Rin and her feelings of revenge and inadequacy. There are some exotic weapons even later on, but they very quickly take a backseat and I'd say only the first 5 volumes have them in any major presence.

As for people not dying, I'd say Magatsu and Shira are the only major offenders here. Magatsu seems to be a very lucky dude and Shira just gives zero fucks. He does finally get what's coming to him though. As for anything else, it did bug me how fast Hyakurin seemed to heal after that torture she survived. Sure, she wasn't mortally wounded and she's gutsy enough to survive a couple of broken bones, but the bastards really did a number on her.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 12, 2015

coathat
May 21, 2007

I've read the whole thing and it's stupid gimmick fights to the very end.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Hey does anyone recall the name of a manga that took place in WW2? A boy and his sister join the dutch (or French) resistance and she gets captured? I never finished it (I seem to recall only 2 chapters got translated).

I also recall the art being really weird.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Crunchyroll put up the missing chapters of SoreMachi finally. There werent as many as it seemed because of the numbering changes between the magazine and tanks. Still really great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

coathat posted:

Crunchyroll put up the missing chapters of SoreMachi finally. There werent as many as it seemed because of the numbering changes between the magazine and tanks. Still really great.

Excellent, thanks for letting folks know. Dammit, when will CR implement a manga subscription feature?!

Ah well, at least I get a fine comic to catch up on over the next few days.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Basically looks like chapter 102 is actually super long or whatever, so they jumped up to 108 after it?

Been holding off on catching up since somewhere in the 80s waiting for this exact piece of news, now there's 40ish new Soredemo chapters to look forward to :toot:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Excellent, thanks for letting folks know. Dammit, when will CR implement a manga subscription feature?!

Don't they already have a subscription that is just for their manga releases? Or do they only have the separate anime-only subscription?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The base subscription covers both anime and manga now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On phone and can't link atm, but the latest maoyuu has poo poo hitting the fan in a big way

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Schubalts posted:

Don't they already have a subscription that is just for their manga releases? Or do they only have the separate anime-only subscription?

I'm thinking he meant something like their queue function for anime that sends you alerts when your flagged shows update, which has probably been their most requested feature since day one of the manga introduction and for some reason is still nowhere to be seen.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yes, that is what I meant. As it is, I only read manga there when somegoon here mentions that the latest chapter of something they have is out. Way inefficient.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

On phone and can't link atm, but the latest maoyuu has poo poo hitting the fan in a big way
:drat: You weren't kidding. I expected the riflemen to enter the picture at some point soon, but not in that way.

Link

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe I should get back into that series, it's just that the whole GIANT-TITTED DEMON QUEEN FANSERVICE is basically a fundamental part of the manga's aesthetic (at least where I was reading, I mean a pivotal character is basically designed like some kind of hentai poo poo or something) kind of giving me immediate douchechills. Hey, I don't see her in this chapter, sweet!
I know people tend to go, "hey that's just manga" (especially outside of ADTRW), but actually you can find a lot of good manga that doesn't have creepy weird awkward "anime/manga stuff" in it...does eliminate a lot of series though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Maybe I should get back into that series, it's just that the whole GIANT-TITTED DEMON QUEEN FANSERVICE is basically a fundamental part of the manga's aesthetic (at least where I was reading, I mean a pivotal character is basically designed like some kind of hentai poo poo or something) kind of giving me immediate douchechills. Hey, I don't see her in this chapter, sweet!
I know people tend to go, "hey that's just manga" (especially outside of ADTRW), but actually you can find a lot of good manga that doesn't have creepy weird awkward "anime/manga stuff" in it...does eliminate a lot of series though.

The comic sucks because it went from an interesting sociopolitical exploration to generic shonen combat like a reverse vinland saga, not because the incredibly sexy demon lady has the big titties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sucks is probably too strong but I don't like it as much as the earlier stuff, oh well.